Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)
Women drinks so much water she dies
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
raindrop921
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:11 pm      Reply with quote
Copied and Pasted from CNN

SACRAMENTO, California (AP) -- A woman who competed in a radio station's contest to see how much water she could drink without going to the bathroom died of water intoxication, the coroner's office said Saturday.

Jennifer Strange, 28, was found dead Friday in her suburban Rancho Cordova home hours after taking part in the "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" contest in which KDND 107.9 promised a Nintendo Wii video game system for the winner.

"She said to one of our supervisors that she was on her way home and her head was hurting her real bad," said Laura Rios, one of Strange's co-workers at Radiological Associates of Sacramento. "She was crying, and that was the last that anyone had heard from her."

It was not immediately known how much water Strange consumed.

A preliminary investigation found evidence "consistent with a water intoxication death," said assistant Coroner Ed Smith.

John Geary, vice president and marketing manager for Entercom Sacramento, the station's owner, said station personnel were stunned when they heard of Strange's death.

"We are awaiting information that will help explain how this tragic event occurred," he said.

Initially, contestants were handed 8-ounce bottles of water to drink every 15 minutes.

"They were small little half-pint bottles, so we thought it was going to be easy," said fellow contestant James Ybarra of Woodland. "They told us if you don't feel like you can do this, don't put your health at risk."

Ybarra said he quit after drinking five bottles. "My bladder couldn't handle it anymore," he added.

After he quit, he said, the remaining contestants, including Strange, were given even bigger bottles to drink.

"I was talking to her and she was a nice lady," Ybarra said. "She was telling me about her family and her three kids and how she was doing it for her kids."

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:15 pm      Reply with quote
I read about this a few days ago... tragically sad. Sad
salli
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
From what I saw on the news this morning they didn't bother to tell the contestants that this could happen even though they were aware of it. The contestants were just handed release forms to sign. I think that is absolutely disgusting and criminal negligence!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:19 pm      Reply with quote
i saw the news. ii's awful. i remembered i had to drink lots of water before my ultrasound, but the doctor was later for the appointment,at one point i felt my gallbladder was going to explode.
lotus003
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
i also saw the news,i am shock about that news Shock
Adonis
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:26 pm      Reply with quote
I saw the news as well. Did anyone catch exactly how much water she drank and in what time frame?
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
I heard alittle about this on the news the other night. From what it sounded like, someone had called in and warned them drinking too much could result in water intoxication (on air I think because they had the sound clip and you could hear the DJ's response) and I think the DJ's response was something like "oh, they've all signed release forms". So it was like they didn't even care. I think it's so irresponsible for radio stations to do contests where there is a chance of something horrible going wrong. I think I also heard that 10 people were fired from the station? Not sure if I have all the facts right, but this whole story just saddens me. Sad
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:41 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know, but I saw somewhere that she drank about 2 gallons of water and she looked really pregnant from all the water bloating.
sweet28
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
I heard about this tragic death and I am still in shock. I am so disgusted with the radio station contest and the stupidity of the DJs. One even made a comment that she looked pregnant again (due to the bloating from the large amount of water intake)! I also heard from my bf that 10 people at the radio station were immediately fired. I hardly think that is enough punishment for killing a young mother of three. It's terribly sad. Crying or Very sad
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:04 pm      Reply with quote
very sad story.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:37 pm      Reply with quote
Very tragic. Apparently, drinking jugs and jugs of water is commonplace during university fraternity initiations. There really is no logic or benefit to this act. Too much water--> blood dilution--> more salt in the surrounding cells than in blood--> water from blood starts entering cells--> cells swell--> if it were brain cells---> pressure builds and key portions of the brain that control breathing and other vital functions shut down---> death.
Kirstin
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:39 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone know if she was able to go to the bathroom after holding it for so long? With the birth of my second child I had an epidural which I hadn't had with my first and they had pumped me so full of iv fluids that I hadn't realised I needed to go because I was numb from the epidural. When I couldn't stand the pain, which felt worse than the labor, they checked my bladder and it was fully distended. I tried to go at that point and wasn't able to. I needed a catheter. Apparently I was told your bladder gets to a limit where it cannot release the urine on its own. I wonder if that also happened to her. I had also heard that her belly was so full she looked pregnant. They played an exerpt on the radio from the event and she was complaining that her head hurt and the DJs were laughing at her and saying look at her stomach, she looks pregnant. She must not have looked too good because they asked her if she needed to lay down. If that's the case how could they have let her go home after that, knowing what they did about water intoxication. This story is so sad! I feel for her children!
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:02 pm      Reply with quote
I heard about this on the radio but didn't know the station KNEW about potential complications. I wondered how the hell they could be so stupid - now I know, they're negligent too.

I hope criminal charges are filed.

A friend's sister ended up in Emergency for water intoxication (dieting).

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
a million dollar payday for an agressive ambulance chaser!
doba
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:44 pm      Reply with quote
Very tragic. Crying or Very sad
Loreg
5% products discount

Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
Not long ago, in a tv show about medical issues, a physician said, talking about excess of any type, that water, which is obviously healthy, was dangerous, fatal, if drunk in great amounts in a short time.
In other occasion I also heard that you should drink water periodically along the day, not three glasses at a time, forget it during many hours and then drink three or four more. This to promote real hydration.... Neutral
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:06 pm      Reply with quote
Such a horrible unnecessary tragedy!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:26 pm      Reply with quote
Loreg wrote:
Not long ago, in a tv show about medical issues, a physician said, talking about excess of any type, that water, which is obviously healthy, was dangerous, fatal, if drunk in great amounts in a short time.
In other occasion I also heard that you should drink water periodically along the day, not three glasses at a time, forget it during many hours and then drink three or four more. This to promote real hydration.... Neutral

The good thing is that it is almost impossible to drink enough water to become "toxic". Most people literally cannot drink or hold enough to have any problems.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
How sad did not hear this in Ireland and to be honest did not know it could happen the poor girl
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:32 pm      Reply with quote
A nurse called into the show and warned them about the dangers of water intoxication. On the air (I've heard some of the sound files from the show) you can hear them talk about maybe they should have researched it more, etc. They had no ambulance or EMT team there for contestants, which would have been a no-brainer, honestly.

The thing that really gets me is I've been hearing people say "well, she was dumb, she should have known when to stop." If you are the second to last person in a contest...you've got the goal in sight. I'm sure they chose water for the contest because they thought it was mundane, harmless. Dying from water? Not a lot of people may realize that you can...although it's surprising.
Also, I've heard some criticize that she should have taken the Justin Timberlake tickets (the second place prize) earlier...and that they offered them to her because they realized she needed to stop, so it is her fault for staying in the contest. This is disgusting logic. They just wanted the contest to end and declare a winner. Never do you hear these DJs say, "hey, you really need to stop, you don't look well, this might be dangerous to your health. We'll give you these tickets if you take yourself out of the contest so nothing bad happens." They never said anything like that.

It's sad when people blame the victim. It's like saying "hey, she was dressed in a sexy dress, she should have known she would be assaulted dressing like that!"

Ugh. It's NOT her fault. Why didn't that show consult a lawyer? If they did, they need to get a new one!
They are talking about filing criminal charges as well.

ETA: They said she drank nearly two gallons, though I don't know in what time period, but your kidneys can only excrete 1 to 1.5 liters in an hour (she drank a little over 7.5 liters)...they had to drink a bottle every 15 minutes, then she was given larger bottles. After the first offer for the tickets, she drank an additional 32 oz. before having to quit.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
wow - I've only been hearing negatives towards the station.

Drinking water could be considered "dumb" by some but it's no different than drying jalapeno tequila on a dare for money. The woman NEVER would've drunk that water if not for the contest. And winning a contest is a powerful motivator.

To me, this is similar to college hazing.

Personally, I thought the station were complete idiots for 1. not knowing what large amounts of water can do to your electrolyte levels; 2. not having emergency staff for ANY contest; and 3. not checking their facts. Since they DID know of the potential problems - I think they should be held to criminal charges.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
yah this happens. she must have drank over 6 litres in very short period of time. not worth it!

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:33 pm      Reply with quote
What hit me as the most sad part of the story was that she was found dead in her home. The radio station didn't even call her a doctor or take her to the hospital to be checked out when they KNEW she was ill and KNEW there were risks or fatality! If that isn't criminal negligence I don't know what is.
BBD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:44 pm      Reply with quote
A couple of years ago a woman in the Boston Marathon died from hyponatremia (the situation dollbird described). She was trying to stay hydrated, and despite the amount she perspired, apparently she took in too much water. Apparently when she felt odd she thought that she was dehydrated and drank more. She had no obvious signs of swelling--that is not a prerequisite.

Given that the whole point of the contest was to drink large amounts of water and hold it, those who held the contest should have known of the potential risks and simply should not have done it. It's that simple as far as I'm concerned.

The lady had three kids--I hope they get a good settlement to help them.
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:50 pm      Reply with quote
Here's the direct link to the article:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/13/water.intox.ap/index.html

I'm surprised that the station was so negligent that they never bothered to do a simple internet search on the risks of drinking too much water, they would have gotten pertinent information in seconds.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:06 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |