Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Fess up girls - What have you tried for weight loss?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
I have tried lots of things including carb and fat blockers. I also tried chromium.

I have a magnet on my fridge that says "I keep trying to lose weight, but it keeps finding me." hehehe

Funny thing is I am 5'1, 102 lbs, so not really that fat. But I get paranoid if I get up to 104 which is where I am now. I need to lose those 2 extra lbs. Is anyone else always trying to lose 2-3 lbs?
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:45 pm      Reply with quote
I used to be 104 lbs and tried to lose more weight but I kept feeling dizzy. Not sure if it was because of the mold in the building I was working in.

Don't eat any processed foods, eat fish instead of meat and have some spinach instead of meat. Walk and take the stairs and drink lots. If this does not work, you may have muscle, so you are not fat, just have a lot of muscle.
skim
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:19 pm      Reply with quote
The only thing that works is exercise-- mixture of cardio and strength training. And watching the junk food. No drinks besides water and plain green tea.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:32 pm      Reply with quote
I'm 42 years old, 5'5" and weigh 116. I recently lost 10 lbs from Phetermine I bought from the internet. I walk/run alot, but was always hungry. The pills helped curb my hunger, which help cut the calories. Its not for everyone, but it worked for me.
steffers
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:00 pm      Reply with quote
There was a guy on Oprah recently (I know, i know....), but i really did like what he was saying.

He stated that because there is and has been an abundance of food in our society for so long now, we have forgotten how to read our bodies when we are truly "full".

He wrote a book (now on NY times best seller list) which talks about satiety (sp? ie. the feeling of being full), and rates it on a scale from 1-10, 1 being very hungry, light-headed, cannot focus, to 10 being: must unbutton clothing, have trouble moving about, lathargic after over-eating.

He basically says we should stop eating when we get to 4, this stage being something like: "satisfied, could have seconds, but don't."

He says that so long as you stick to what you normally eat, stop eating when you get to 4, and you'll lose weight, as we have a tendancy to keep eating until we get to 8-9-10!

On another note, I have used Apple Cider Vinegar capsules before a meal. It's natural and the vinegar helps to break down fat. Google it, there's a lot of info on this.

HTH's!

SKIN: 33,fair.My work env't is skin hell! (flight attend. = dryness&eye circles!) AM: Lavantine Cleansing Oil, squalane, ISOMERS carnosine complex (250x more pow'ful than Idebenone), eye cream varies, JuiceBeauty Antiox Serum, Anthelios SS. PM: Lavantine, squalane, Remergent DNA Repair. Want: Silk Dust
Lifeplyr01
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:27 pm      Reply with quote
Yep I'd like to lose a few pounds. Since I quit smoking April 2006, I've gained about 6 lbs. It doesn't really show (though to me it does) because most people find me thin. At 5'3, 105 lbs I guess I shouldnt complain..I'm not really, just used to weighing less. I eat whatever I want..always have, but I do stop when I'm full. I rarely overeat and eat healthy for the most past. I figure gaining a few pounds doesn't really hurt in the long run because I'm now a non-smoker. Very Happy But uuggh, I don't want to put anymore on.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:53 am      Reply with quote
I used to be much more active, and walk at least 2 miles everyday, but it has got so cold even in California. So I did not want to go out and take a walk. I wish spring would be here soon. Well, I don't actually look fat, but I think it's psychological, and maybe I'm jut too neurotic about weight.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:55 am      Reply with quote
How tall are you? If you felt dizzy, you were probably not getting enough sugar in your blood. I get that way some time, too.

Skincare wrote:
I used to be 104 lbs and tried to lose more weight but I kept feeling dizzy. Not sure if it was because of the mold in the building I was working in.

Don't eat any processed foods, eat fish instead of meat and have some spinach instead of meat. Walk and take the stairs and drink lots. If this does not work, you may have muscle, so you are not fat, just have a lot of muscle.
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:20 am      Reply with quote
Cherisse,

--I think the best and most simple weight loss secret is just cooking for yourself!
--And drinking lemon water (1/2 lemon plus 8-10 oz) immediately upon waking--I find that this actually helps keep off about five pounds if done regularly.
--Drink a lot of water, and green tea, or tisanes, during the day. I love the flowery look of tisanes, and you can mix them with green tea, add honey, make iced tea, whatever. They are so nice to have as an afternoon drink, and I find they curb my appetite. My favorite is linden-lemon verbena-chamomile-orange!
--walk everywhere, force yourself to take the stairs.
--re: cooking for yourself, it takes energy, and you are going to eat what you cook, so choose wisely and eat something sensible in the am, like oatmeal with fruit (I eat whole fat plain yogurt with cinnamon and honey mixed in, topped with homemade granola--mostly nuts and oats and grated coconut with honey--awesome and simple recipe at nytimes.com from last week!)--something that will tie you over to the next meal. I eat whatever I want for lunch--sandwich, lasagna, chocolate tart, whatever! It's my 'refueling' time. Then, for dinner, I make something like a chicken breast sauteed with white wine, lemon, capers, and butter, and lightly steam broccoli, and I microwave a sweet potato, adding butter and seasoning to taste. I use all fresh market ingredients, and it makes me so happy to cook a delicious meal for myself at the end of the day. Most of my meals only take about 20-30 minutes, and in fact, it seems to me that there is a direct correlation with the healthiness of what you cook and the time you invest to cook it, with fresh ingredients, for the most part. And if I cook for myself for about a week, notwithstanding elaborate Sunday brunches replete with chocolate croissants, cheese plates, tarts, and hot chocolate, I still end up losing weight rather fast. I think our bodies react negatively to processed foods, sugars, refined flours, etc--if you just cut these out, your weight will drop FAST.
I weigh around 127 and I'm 5'4", and I'm totally comfortable in my body, although some people with my weight think they are fat. It's all subjective! I feel bad when I treat my body badly, and I feel excellent when I treat it well.
--If you are looking for a great site with well-tested, honed-down recipes, trywww.cooksillustrated.com. I get all of my inspiration there, and the recipes all include butter, fat, etc.--but the key is to prepare everything yourself, and choose the dishes wisely! For example, I love their "steamed glazed leeks with crunchy seeds" recipe, and I just made their roasted cauliflower recipe the other day, and it was soooo delicious and nutritious! I had forgotten all about cauliflower, and I ate it with a rotisseried half chicken that I got at a rotisserie (it's a parisian thing, but you can get these anywhere). Another great thing is assembling for yourself a plate of different, fresh things, like meats and cheeses and salad, fruits, olives, etc.--this is typically european and is delicious and healthy, as long as it is balanced.

Good luck, and pm me if you want to borrow my password to the site, or you can get a free trial, but it is $3.95 per month.

Sorry for the rambling, I get a little over excited about food!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:21 am      Reply with quote
Cherisse, I've seen your photo and you are 100% gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous.

I think Avalange is very wise, and in fact what she wrote is inspiring to me, with regard to the recipes! ( I might pm you for that password, ava,if I may, so I can take a peek inside that site..) I completely agree that when we get our taste needs fully met, we eat less.

An emergency weight loss thing is the cabbage soup diet.
If you did that for four days, you'd drop a few pounds, then use Avalange's approach as a maintenance mode.

It really is true that some food is deeply satisfying, and other foods simply arent. The awful truth is that often the foods we associate with 'treat' and self indulgence, and 'me' moments, are actually NOT deeply satisfying, so we just want more and more of them...

I really want roasted cauliflower right now.. Cool
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:47 am      Reply with quote
I try to exercise every day that really helps, also I try not to eat at night if possible,it seems to stay on when I eat at night, eat heavist meal in morning or lunch so you have time to burn it off.Be eliminating a lot of carbs it is so much easier to lose weight.
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:07 am      Reply with quote
Catski,

Here is the roasted cauliflower recipe, and a few more that I love:

Quote:
Roasted Cauliflower with Curry-Yogurt Sauce with Cilantro
Written: 1/2007
Serves 4 to 6
1 medium head cauliflower (about 2 pounds)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
Kosher salt and ground black pepper

For Sauce
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 large shallot , minced (about 4 tablespoons)
2 teaspoons curry powder
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro leaves
Table salt and ground black pepper

1. For Cauliflower:Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 475 degrees. Trim outer leaves of cauliflower and cut stem flush with bottom. Cut head into 8 equal wedges so that core and florets remain intact (see illustration). Place wedges cut side down on foil- or parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper; gently rub to evenly distribute oil and seasonings. Gently flip cauliflower and season other cut side with 2 tablespoons oil, salt, and pepper.

2. Cover baking sheet tightly with foil and cook for 10 minutes. Remove foil and continue to roast until bottoms of cauliflower pieces are golden, 8 to 12 minutes. Remove sheet from oven, and, using spatula, carefully flip wedges. Return sheet to oven and continue to roast until cauliflower is golden all over, 8 to 12 minutes longer.

3. For Sauce: While cauliflower roasts, heat oil in small skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add shallot and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in curry powder and pepper flakes; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and whisk in water, yogurt, lime juice, cilantro, and salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle sauce over roasted cauliflower.

Quote:
Steamed Leeks Glazed with Crunchy Seeds

Serves 4
4 medium leeks , trimmed, soaked, and rinsed thoroughly (see illustrations below)
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon table salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
3 tablespoons unsalted butter

1. Arrange leeks in a single layer in a steamer basket or steamer insert. Carefully place basket over pot of vigorously boiling water; cover and steam until tip of knife inserted in thickest part of leek meets no resistance, about 10 minutes for leeks 3/4-inch thick, about 12 minutes for leeks 1 1/4-inch thick.

2. Meanwhile, mix vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, mustard seeds, fennel seeds, and sesame seeds together in small bowl; set aside. Heat butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. When steamed leeks are ready, transfer leeks and add spice mixture to large skillet. Cook, shaking skillet constantly and turning leeks to coat all sides, until mixture thickens to glaze, about 2 minutes.

3. Arrange leeks on individual plates or serving platter; pour remaining glaze over leeks and serve.

Quote:
Mashed Butternut Squash with Ginger

Serves 4-6 (about 3 cups)
2 pounds butternut squash , peeled and cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
Table salt
ground white pepper

1. Fit large soup kettle with steamer basket; fill kettle with enough water to come to bottom of basket. Bring water to boil; add squash to steamer. Cover, and cook over medium-high heat until squash is very tender when pierced with a thin-bladed knife, 14 to 16 minutes.

2. Transfer squash to shallow bowl, add butter, ginger, and salt and ground white pepper to taste; mash with fork to a coarse puree. Adjust seasoning and serve. (Squash can be covered and refrigerated overnight; reheat in microwave or double boiler.)

Quote:
Broccoli Rabe with Garlic and Red Pepper Flakes
Using a salad spinner makes easy work of drying the cooled blanched broccoli rabe. This recipe can be turned into a main course pasta dish. Increase the oil to 4 tablespoons and toss the broccoli rabe with 1 pound of pasta, cooked al dente. Season to taste with salt and ground black pepper, and serve with grated Parmesan cheese.

Serves 4
1 bunch broccoli rabe (about 14 ounces), washed, bottom 2 inches of stems trimmed and discarded, remainder cut into 1-inch pieces
2 teaspoons table salt
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 medium cloves garlic , minced
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Table salt

1. Bring 3 quarts water to boil in large saucepan. Stir in broccoli rabe and salt and cook until wilted and tender, about 2 1/2 minutes. Drain broccoli rabe and set aside.

2. Cool empty saucepan by rinsing under cold running water. Fill cooled saucepan with cold water and submerge broccoli rabe to stop the cooking process. Drain again; squeeze well to dry.

3. Heat oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes in medium skillet over medium heat until garlic begins to sizzle, about 3 to 4 minutes. Increase heat to medium high, add blanched broccoli rabe, and cook, stirring to coat with oil, until heated through, about 1 minute. Season to taste with salt; serve immediately.

\
Quote:
Pureed Carrot Soup with Nutmeg

Either chicken or vegetable broth can be used in this recipe.

Serves 4 to 6
2 tablespoons unsalted butter , or the same amount of vegetable or olive oil
1 medium onion , 3 medium shallots, or 1 medium leek (white and light green parts only), chopped
2 tablespoons dry sherry or white wine
1 1/2 pounds carrots (about 8 medium), peeled, halved lengthwise, and sliced thin (about 4 cups)
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth or low-sodium vegetable broth
1 teaspoon table salt
ground white pepper
pinch ground nutmeg
1 - 1 1/4 cups whole milk
2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon , mint, chives, or parsley

1. Heat butter or oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté until golden, about 5 minutes. Add sherry and carrots; stir constantly and cook until sherry evaporates, about 30 seconds.

2. Add broth, salt, pepper to taste, and nutmeg to saucepan; bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer; cover and cook until carrots are tender, about 20 minutes.

3. Ladle carrot mixture into blender. Add 1 cup milk; blend until very smooth. Return soup to saucepan; cook over low heat until warmed through. If soup is too thick, stir in additional milk to thin consistency. Adjust seasonings. (Soup can be refrigerated for 3 days and reheated just before serving.)

4. Ladle soup into individual bowls. Garnish with minced herb and serve immediately.

re" the soup recipe: you can use other vegetables and spices for this basic recipe, such as butternut squash and ginger; potatoes, leeks, and chives; cauliflower and coriander, etc.

Quote:
Peppery Chicken Piccata

If you like, use thinly sliced cutlets available at many supermarkets. These cutlets don't have any tenderloins and can be used as is.

Serves 4
2 large lemons
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds), preferably kosher or Bell and Evans, rinsed, dried thoroughly, trimmed of excess fat and prepared according to illustrations below
Table salt and ground black pepper
1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 small shallot minced (about 2 tablespoons) or 1 small garlic clove, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
1 cup chicken stock or canned low-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons small capers , drained
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
3 tablespoons unsalted butter , softened
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves

Thin lemon slices soften in the reducing sauce and add a wonderful bright lemon flavor to the finished dish.

1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position, set large heatproof plate on rack, and heat oven to 200 degrees.

2. Halve one lemon pole to pole. Trim ends from one half and cut crosswise into slices 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick; set aside. Juice remaining half and whole lemon to obtain 1/4 cup juice; reserve.

3. Sprinkle both sides of cutlets generously with salt and pepper. Measure flour into pie tin or shallow baking dish. Working one cutlet at a time, coat with flour, and shake to remove excess.

4. Heat heavy-bottomed 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until hot, about 2 minutes; add 2 tablespoons oil and swirl pan to coat. Lay half of chicken pieces in skillet. Sauté cutlets, without moving them, until lightly browned on first side, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes. Turn cutlets and cook until second side is lightly browned, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes longer. Remove pan from heat and transfer cutlets to plate in oven. Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to now-empty skillet and heat until shimmering. Add remaining chicken pieces and repeat.

5. Add shallot or garlic to now-empty skillet and return skillet to medium heat. Sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds for shallot or 10 seconds for garlic. Add stock and lemon slices, increase heat to high, and scrape skillet bottom with wooden spoon or spatula to loosen browned bits. Simmer until liquid reduces to about 1/3 cup, about 4 minutes. Add lemon juice, capers, and coarsely ground pepper and simmer until sauce reduces again to 1/3 cup, about 1 minute. Remove pan from heat and swirl in butter until butter melts and thickens sauce; swirl in parsley. Spoon sauce over chicken and serve immediately.

Quote:
Pan-Roasted Asparagus with Toasted Garlic and Parmesan

This recipe works best with asparagus that is at least 1/2 inch thick near the base. If using thinner spears, reduce the covered cooking time to 3 minute and the uncovered cooking time to 5 minutes. Do not use pencil-thin asparagus; it cannot withstand the heat and overcooks too easily.

Serves 4 to 6
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 medium cloves garlic , sliced thin
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 pounds thick asparagus spears (see note), ends trimmed
Kosher salt and ground black pepper
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 lemon (optional)

1. Heat the olive oil and sliced garlic in 12-inch skillet over medium heat; cook, stirring occasionally, until garlic is crisp and golden but not dark brown, about 5 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer garlic to paper towel-lined plate.

2. Add the butter to the oil in the skillet. When butter has melted, add half of asparagus to skillet with tips pointed in one direction; add remaining spears with tips pointed in one direction. Using tongs, distribute spears in even layer (spears will not quite fit into single layer); cover and cook until asparagus is bright green and still crisp,about 5 minutes.

3. Uncover and increase heat to high; season asparagus with salt and pepper. Cook until spears are tender and well browned along one side, 5 to 7 minutes, using tongs to occasionally move spears from center of pan to edge of pan to ensure all are browned. Transfer asparagus to serving dish, sprinkle with grated Parmesan and toasted garlic, adjust seasonings with salt and pepper, and, if desired, squeeze lemon half over spears. Serve immediately.

To Serve 2-3:
Cut all ingredient amounts in half. Cook asparagus in 10-inch skillet over medium heat, covered, for 3 minutes. Remove cover and cook over medium-high heat until tender and browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Do not adjust heat when cooking garnishes; however, cooking times for garnishes should be reduced by 1 to 2 minutes.

What I love about CI is that they are food scientists--they test all different ways of cooking a dish and offer their readers the best, most delicious, least time-consuming version, with the most readily available ingredients possible.

Also, raw kale chopped up with sliced radish and jicama, tossed with olive oil salt, pepper, and lemon juice, is bizarrely EXTREMELY delicious.

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:09 am      Reply with quote
Also to Catski,

I just roasted the cauliflower, i did not make the sauce, but i'll bet the sauce is delicious, too!

--avalange

Schnee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:53 am      Reply with quote
I believe in eating everything, but with moderation! I don't have to eat all the chocolate, 1-2 pieces is enough to satisfy my needs. Laughing Like avalange I also cook myself. I like to know what I eat, and I love cooking. I think that what I eat "everyday" is more important than what I eat occasionally, so during the week I cook quick and healthy, but at weekends I may cook some more delicious and not so low-fat foods...

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:56 am      Reply with quote
For me, it was joining Weight Watchers and sticking to the program. Back in 2003, I lost 35 pounds in 7 months, became a Lifetime member, and I have kept nearly all of my weight off. I say "nearly" because I fluctuate by up to 5 pounds from my original -35, but with the changes I made due to WW, I get the pounds back off within a few weeks. I tried pills, special foods, etc. before WW. Nothing had the lasting results that WW has had for me.
SylphideNoir
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:01 am      Reply with quote
I recently changed my diet nutritionaly to take in account the glycemic index of foods. I found this nutrition guide from Dr. Lam and cut out all the bad foods it suggests.
Carbohydrates:
Good - Leafy vegetables, onions, garlic, green onions, chives, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes (both raw and cooked), tubor vegetables in moderation (carrots, beets, sweet potatoes), lemon, lime, soybean products (in moderation), pinapples, bluberries, grapes, whole grains, oats, barley, pasta made with duram wheat, basmati rice.
Bad - Most tubor vegetables (potatoes, tapioca), banana, watermelon.
Protein:
Good - Legumes, nuts, deep water fish (salmon, tuna), organic eggs.
Bad - Peanuts, coastal fish, red meats, dairy, shell fish.
Fat:
Good - Avacado, olive oil.
Bad - Margarine, deep fried foods, chips, saturated fats, polyunsaturated oil when heated, soft drinks, desserts, sugar.

I've been eating according to this plan for a while now and the first week I felt like a was starving to death. The next few days I felt sleepy and fatigued which I assume was due to my body starting to use fat storage and work harder.
I started eating small amounts 5 times a day and with that I started eating less over all and eating better foods. The body fat has melted off me and I feel that my body is returning to its ideal weight and balance.
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:33 am      Reply with quote
SylphideNoir wrote:
I recently changed my diet nutritionaly to take in account the glycemic index of foods. I found this nutrition guide from Dr. Lam and cut out all the bad foods it suggests.
Carbohydrates:
Good - Leafy vegetables, onions, garlic, green onions, chives, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes (both raw and cooked), tubor vegetables in moderation (carrots, beets, sweet potatoes), lemon, lime, soybean products (in moderation), pinapples, bluberries, grapes, whole grains, oats, barley, pasta made with duram wheat, basmati rice.
Bad - Most tubor vegetables (potatoes, tapioca), banana, watermelon.
Protein:
Good - Legumes, nuts, deep water fish (salmon, tuna), organic eggs.
Bad - Peanuts, coastal fish, red meats, dairy, shell fish.
Fat:
Good - Avacado, olive oil.
Bad - Margarine, deep fried foods, chips, saturated fats, polyunsaturated oil when heated, soft drinks, desserts, sugar.

I've been eating according to this plan for a while now and the first week I felt like a was starving to death. The next few days I felt sleepy and fatigued which I assume was due to my body starting to use fat storage and work harder.
I started eating small amounts 5 times a day and with that I started eating less over all and eating better foods. The body fat has melted off me and I feel that my body is returning to its ideal weight and balance.

Sylphide, I follow this regimen, too, because I'm very hypoglycemic, and thus, reactive to sugars--the glycemic index of any certain food is the mesure of how quickly it turns to sugar in your body. Keeping your body going with fiber, protein, and good fats, in smaller meals all day long, is key!

--avalange

rcascone
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:35 am      Reply with quote
Well a years ago I gave up fast food (Mickey D's, Taco Bell, etc..) and stopped drinking soda.

I have also started using Splenda in my iced tea. I used to think it was a sin for restaurants not to carry Sweet Tea, but now I order unsweetened and add Splenda!

I have been going to the gym regularly now since October and doing a combo of cardio (30-45min) and weight training. I've lost about 7lbs which really shows on a 5 ft frame!

...oh and I try to limit my "drinking" to one day a week and I have actually gotten used to Michelob Ultra (lower carb beer).

GOOD LUCK!!

P.S. I agree with portion control and limiting bad carbs!! I try to stop eating before I feel full because I know in a 1/2 hour I will be and I also try to only eat whole wheat bread and pasta. It has to say 100% Whole Wheat flour as the first ingredient to be really "whole"

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:52 pm      Reply with quote
Avalange, I LOVE those recipes. Thankyou.

I just looked up jicama - I dont believe I've ever tried it, shall go on a search for it and see if it's been in the market all the time without me noticing.
skim
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:54 pm      Reply with quote
Oh and another thing, try not to eat out much. Restaurant food has so many hidden calories.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
Get rid of anything in your house that you really love and would probably end up breaking your diet .for me, its licorice and cheezits and to stay on your diet I stock my fridge with lots of fresh fruits and veggies and have already prepared chicken etc so I am not tempted.Also I keep a couple photos of really fat people on my fridge-that helps keep me on my diet.
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:52 pm      Reply with quote
skim wrote:
Oh and another thing, try not to eat out much. Restaurant food has so many hidden calories.

so true! that is what i was trying to get at when i said, cook for yourself. When I use butter and fat and eggs and bread and chocolate at home, I lose weight, and when I eat 'sensibly' at restaurants, i still gain! This is probably why.

--avalange

Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
Cherisse wrote:
How tall are you? If you felt dizzy, you were probably not getting enough sugar in your blood. I get that way some time, too.

Skincare wrote:

I am 5'1 and yes, I would get dizzy mid-day but again, I thought it was because of the mold in the building and the dry air. I ate fruits daily, so I am sure I got enough sugar in my diet. I would eat about up to 4 oz of meat and sometimes that felt too heavy for my stomach. I would not eat meat on a day that I went horseback riding because I found that I had to throw up after 10 minutes of riding.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:49 pm      Reply with quote
Avalange, thank you so much for sharing. Your recipes make me hungry, but I kinda lost appetite because I got in to a fight with my boyfriend. Now that's the key ingredient for weight loss!

avalange wrote:
Cherisse,

--I think the best and most simple weight loss secret is just cooking for yourself!
--And drinking lemon water (1/2 lemon plus 8-10 oz) immediately upon waking--I find that this actually helps keep off about five pounds if done regularly.
--Drink a lot of water, and green tea, or tisanes, during the day. I love the flowery look of tisanes, and you can mix them with green tea, add honey, make iced tea, whatever. They are so nice to have as an afternoon drink, and I find they curb my appetite. My favorite is linden-lemon verbena-chamomile-orange!
--walk everywhere, force yourself to take the stairs.
--re: cooking for yourself, it takes energy, and you are going to eat what you cook, so choose wisely and eat something sensible in the am, like oatmeal with fruit (I eat whole fat plain yogurt with cinnamon and honey mixed in, topped with homemade granola--mostly nuts and oats and grated coconut with honey--awesome and simple recipe at nytimes.com from last week!)--something that will tie you over to the next meal. I eat whatever I want for lunch--sandwich, lasagna, chocolate tart, whatever! It's my 'refueling' time. Then, for dinner, I make something like a chicken breast sauteed with white wine, lemon, capers, and butter, and lightly steam broccoli, and I microwave a sweet potato, adding butter and seasoning to taste. I use all fresh market ingredients, and it makes me so happy to cook a delicious meal for myself at the end of the day. Most of my meals only take about 20-30 minutes, and in fact, it seems to me that there is a direct correlation with the healthiness of what you cook and the time you invest to cook it, with fresh ingredients, for the most part. And if I cook for myself for about a week, notwithstanding elaborate Sunday brunches replete with chocolate croissants, cheese plates, tarts, and hot chocolate, I still end up losing weight rather fast. I think our bodies react negatively to processed foods, sugars, refined flours, etc--if you just cut these out, your weight will drop FAST.
I weigh around 127 and I'm 5'4", and I'm totally comfortable in my body, although some people with my weight think they are fat. It's all subjective! I feel bad when I treat my body badly, and I feel excellent when I treat it well.
--If you are looking for a great site with well-tested, honed-down recipes, trywww.cooksillustrated.com. I get all of my inspiration there, and the recipes all include butter, fat, etc.--but the key is to prepare everything yourself, and choose the dishes wisely! For example, I love their "steamed glazed leeks with crunchy seeds" recipe, and I just made their roasted cauliflower recipe the other day, and it was soooo delicious and nutritious! I had forgotten all about cauliflower, and I ate it with a rotisseried half chicken that I got at a rotisserie (it's a parisian thing, but you can get these anywhere). Another great thing is assembling for yourself a plate of different, fresh things, like meats and cheeses and salad, fruits, olives, etc.--this is typically european and is delicious and healthy, as long as it is balanced.

Good luck, and pm me if you want to borrow my password to the site, or you can get a free trial, but it is $3.95 per month.

Sorry for the rambling, I get a little over excited about food!

--avalange
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:50 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with your weight maintenance plan. I do the same, but I went to Thailand, and the food was so good, so I'm still trying to lose the 2-3 lbs I gained from my trip. It doesn't really show anywhere, so I wonder where the weight went. Maybe it was evenly distributed, but I still want to lose it.

lucyluc wrote:
I try to exercise every day that
really helps, also I try not to eat at night if possible,it seems to stay on when I eat at night, eat heavist meal in morning or lunch so you have time to burn it off.Be eliminating a lot of carbs it is so much easier to lose weight.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:21 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |