Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Goji berries...the most powerful antioxidant?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
steffers
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:08 pm      Reply with quote
Been reading a lot about Goji Berries. Heard they are the most powerful antioxidant there is. Has anyone eaten them or drank the juice? Is it really that expensive? Do you drink the juice as part of a detox? Is this all just hype and a money-grab? Hm.

As always, this flight attendant is looking for the best antioxidants out there, as i'm convinced that my job is sucking the life out of me and my poor skin.

Should I buy? Thoughts?

SKIN: 33,fair.My work env't is skin hell! (flight attend. = dryness&eye circles!) AM: Lavantine Cleansing Oil, squalane, ISOMERS carnosine complex (250x more pow'ful than Idebenone), eye cream varies, JuiceBeauty Antiox Serum, Anthelios SS. PM: Lavantine, squalane, Remergent DNA Repair. Want: Silk Dust
lotus003
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:05 am      Reply with quote
i just know goji berry is good for eye healthy and
blood circulatiton.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:49 am      Reply with quote
I've trid the juice and it's delicious. The dried berries vary a lot in quality. Some are small and more red, and IMO less nice, and then some are larger and more pale tangering coloured and are like fruit flavoured toffee (!). They are mega high in Vit C, worth a try.
littlescooby
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:20 am      Reply with quote
I include Goji Berries in my home made morning smoothie. They are palatable on their own, but I prefer to mix them into my smoothies (along with my MSM & Vitamin C powder supplements)
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:28 am      Reply with quote
what else do you put in littlescooby? Always like any new smoothie inspirations!
littlescooby
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:06 am      Reply with quote
Hi Catski

... should have elaborated a little more on my morning smoothie routine - sorry ! I have to admit that although I would consider my diet to be healthy & wholesome, until a few weeks ago I did not actually have breakfast.

However, that all changed when my powdered supplements arrived. The vit c powder was easy enough to drink when mixed with water. However I found the MSM powder particularly bitter. That's when I decided to incorporate my daily intake of powders into a smoothie.

Catski, as a rule I try to vary the fruits on a daily basis & I often add Evian water to the mix if I am making the smoothie with a 'heavy' fruit such as banana. I always inlclude my Goji Berries, which I hope will act a 'power' antioxidant to the overall mix.

So far this week the fruits that I have used are as follows:

Mon: Blueberry & banana
Tue: Blueberry & pear
Wed: Strawberry & mango
Thurs: Apple & Kiwi
Fri: Plum & pear
Sat: Kiwi & banana

Once I have made my smoothie and have poured it into a glass I then add my powders.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:42 am      Reply with quote
My hubby and I snack on dried goji berries and I take a supplement from dragonherbs.com that has goji berries in it. I firmly believe they are one of the top antioxidents you can buy.

5% products discount

Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:03 am      Reply with quote
While watching Oprah a while back, the skin care guru Dr. Perricone was advising us to take these supplements as well.

He also was very impressed with another berry called the Acai, it is supposed to be more powerful than the goji, something like 50 times more powerful than that found in red wine.

You can take capsules or the fruit juice. The freeze-dried berry capsules are reported to be better because when preparing juices they have to be pasterized for longer shelf life therefore heating at high temperatures which reduce their potency.

If you go to Oprah's website there is imfo there.
steffers
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:26 am      Reply with quote
thanks everyone! I am going to buy some for sure. I am following my NewYear's resolution by taking my health more seriously in 2007, and these sound like something I should be adding to my regimen. We could all use more antioxidants in our diet, i believe.

As a side-note, I have also eliminated all toxic housecleaners from our home, and now we clean everything with water, vinegar and lemon juice. Even our laundry soap is natural now!

Now, about the price of Goji berries, I heard they are very expensive. Is this true? I would most likely want the actual berries and not the juice to snack on. Thx! Smile

SKIN: 33,fair.My work env't is skin hell! (flight attend. = dryness&eye circles!) AM: Lavantine Cleansing Oil, squalane, ISOMERS carnosine complex (250x more pow'ful than Idebenone), eye cream varies, JuiceBeauty Antiox Serum, Anthelios SS. PM: Lavantine, squalane, Remergent DNA Repair. Want: Silk Dust
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
littlescooby wrote:
Hi Catski

... should have elaborated a little more on my morning smoothie routine - sorry ! I have to admit that although I would consider my diet to be healthy & wholesome, until a few weeks ago I did not actually have breakfast.

However, that all changed when my powdered supplements arrived. The vit c powder was easy enough to drink when mixed with water. However I found the MSM powder particularly bitter. That's when I decided to incorporate my daily intake of powders into a smoothie.

Catski, as a rule I try to vary the fruits on a daily basis & I often add Evian water to the mix if I am making the smoothie with a 'heavy' fruit such as banana. I always inlclude my Goji Berries, which I hope will act a 'power' antioxidant to the overall mix.

So far this week the fruits that I have used are as follows:

Mon: Blueberry & banana
Tue: Blueberry & pear
Wed: Strawberry & mango
Thurs: Apple & Kiwi
Fri: Plum & pear
Sat: Kiwi & banana

Once I have made my smoothie and have poured it into a glass I then add my powders.

very nice, littlescooby!
I've just started adding raw cacao powder and pollen to mine too, which really gets me going in the morning with a zzzzzzoom!
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:03 pm      Reply with quote
I was not aware of the distinction between the 'common' goji berry and the original until a while ago.

The reasonably priced red goji berries that are readily available from Chinese supermarkets or health food shops are usually bright red and uniform in size, these are actually wolfberries, a Sino-cultured variant of the goji berry which is originally from Tibet. I don't think any Chinese producers actually grow the original goji variant, so the distinction has been lost long ago.

Wolfberries come in varying grades of taste and size. The cheaper ones are small and mild tasting, and some Chinese herbalists carry the larger and sweeter variety. Most likely the type of 'goji' berry we are eating is actually the wolfberry variety.

As far as I know, the "goji" juice that is marketed through those MLM companies is made from a berry which is grown in Mainland China - not Tibet, so they may not be the true goji berry.

Another concern with Chinese wolfberries is... the colouring and pesticides. Do you guys wash your berries before consuming them? We have in the past bought kilos of wolfberries and rinsed them before eating, but the red colour does not stop dispersing even after half a dozen rinses. The water is either bright red or very unnaturally pigmented. Again, the colour loss varied greatly depending on which province the berries came from.

As far as I know, the official supplier of goji is through some sort of 'master' goji berry foundation which oversees the distribution of true Tibetan goji berries which are grown in organic and ethical conditions. They sell 1/2 kilo bags for $30 USD including shipping for personal consumers. The official site iswww.gojiberry.com

HTH
lotus003
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:59 pm      Reply with quote
i just found the information between Goji berries and wolfberry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfberry
Quote:
Wolfberry is also another name for the western snowberry, Symphoricarpos occidentalis.
Wolfberry is the common name for the fruit of Lycium barbarum (Chinese: 宁夏枸杞; pinyin: Níngxià gǒuqǐ) or L. chinense (Chinese: 枸杞; pinyin: gǒuqǐ), two species of boxthorn in the family Solanaceae (which also includes the potato, tomato, eggplant, deadly nightshade, chili pepper, and tobacco). Although its original habitat is obscure (probably southeastern Europe to southwest Asia), wolfberry species are now grown around the world, including in China.[1]

It is also known as Chinese Wolfberry, Duke of Argyll's Tea Tree,[2] or Matrimony Vine[3]. The name Tibetan Goji berry is in common use in the health food market for berries from this plant.

Quote:
Significance

Renowned in Asia as one of nature's most nutrient-rich natural foods, wolfberries have been associated in traditional Chinese medicine as long as recorded Chinese history, a period of nearly 2,000 years. Their undocumented legend, however, is considerably older as wolfberries are often linked in Chinese lore to Shen Nung (Shennong), China's legendary First Emperor, mythical father of agriculture, and herbalist who lived circa 2800 BC.

Currently in the United States, other first-world countries, and the global functional food industry, there is a rapidly growing recognition of wolfberries for their nutrient richness and antioxidant qualities.

Quote:
Tibetan goji berry

Since the early 21st century, the names "Himalayan Goji berry" and "Tibetan Goji berry" have become common in the global health food market, applied to berries claimed to have been grown or collected in the Himalaya region [10] (or sometimes "the Tibetan and Mongolian Himalayas," [11] a misnomer because the Himalayas do not extend into Mongolia, which lies approximately 1000 miles to the northeast)[12]. Although none of the companies marketing such berries specifies the exact location in the Himalayas or Tibet where their berries are grown, Earl Mindell's website states that his "Himalayan" Goji products do not actually come from the Himalayas, but instead from Inner Mongolia, Ningxia, and the Tian Shan Mountains of western Xinjiang.[13]

Although Lycium species do grow in some regions of Tibet, commercial export production of wolfberries in the Tibetan Himayalas - home to the world's tallest mountains - must be a myth fabricated for a marketing advantage, as the Himalayan mountain range is a region inhospitable to commercial cultivation of plant foods of any kind. Low temperatures are prevalent year round in the Himalayan valleys throughout southern and western Tibet where bleak desolation is unrelieved by any vegetation beyond sparse, low bushes.

The Tibetan Plateau, comprising most of Tibet north of the Himalayas, lies at more than 10,000 feet in altitude, with poor soil and arid climate conditions unfavorable for fruit crops. Defined by the geography of Tibet, particularly in the western Himalayas, year-round cold night-time temperatures and frost would inhibit plant bud development and prevent fruit formation. Existing in Tibet are minimal subsistence agriculture and impoverished crop management and transportation facilities unsupportive of commercial berry production. Although limited fertile regions suitable for food crops exist in the valleys of Lhasa, Shigatse, Gyantse, and the Brahmaputra River, there are no objective economic, scientific, or government reports on the commercial production of Lycium berry species from these Tibetan regions.

Quote:
Etymology

"Wolfberry" is the most commonly used English name for the plant, while gǒuqǐ (枸杞) is the Chinese name. In Chinese, the berries themselves are called gǒuqǐzi (枸杞子), with zi meaning "seed" or specifically "berry." Other common names are "the Duke of Argyll's Tea Tree"[2] and "matrimony vine."[3] Wolfberry is also known pharmacologically as Lycii Fructus, meaning "lycium fruit" in Latin).

Lycium, the genus name, is believed to derive from the ancient Mid-Asian region of Lydia whereas barbarum, the species name, suggests that the plant was of foreign origin, perhaps originating outside China. Together, these names are used as specific botanical identifiers in binomial nomenclature for which barbarum is the specific epithet. The end abbreviation, L., represents the nomenclature system devised by Carolus Linnaeus, the father of modern biological taxonomy. Lycium barbarum L. was apparently first named in the Linnaeus system in 1753.

In the English-speaking world, "goji berry" has been widely used in recent years as a synonym for wolfberry. While the origin of this spelling is unclear, it is probably a simplified pronunciation of gǒuqǐ.

In Japan the plant is known as kuko (クコ), in Korea the berries are known as gugija (hangul: 구기자; hanja: 枸杞子), and in Thailand the plant is called găo gèe (เก๋ากี่).

Actually,Wolfberry in chinese pronunciation is Goji
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:23 pm      Reply with quote
My aunt has a goji berry bush or tree in her backyard... I didn't know they're edible. Razz
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
Lotus, I would have to disagree with you.

From the official plant monographs of the lycium genus provided by Tanaduk Institute which studies the 40+ varieties of lycium berries - there is a clear distinction between Tibetan lycium (goji) and lycium barbarum or lycium chinensis (which are the main varieties grown in Mainland China)

The majority of Chinese lycium comes from the Ningxia province, but it is not the true Tibetan lycium. As indicated in the Wikipedia article you posted - lycium did not originate from China. Lycium was a native species of Tibet and was cultivated in China centuries ago.

'Goji' is also a colloquial word in Tibetan and Mongolian, so perhaps the Chinese word of 'goujizi' is a phonetic simplification of the original word.

There is a lot of information about the historical background and therapeutic properties of the goji berry on the Tanaduk Institute website.
lotus003
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:01 pm      Reply with quote
Thank miranets Very Happy look like goji berries is different with wolfberries.

i have meet with Tibetan Lama a few time,their come from Tibet,one of them is Talai Lama's student. Next time i must ask them about goji.
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:15 pm      Reply with quote
Goji berries are fantastic. My parents eat a few every morning, either in tea, or on cereal.

Cheapest to purchase at an ethnic market.

My dad had cataracts (Type II diabetes) and gets an eye exam every 6 months. He started goji berries and the next exam his eyes had cleared up. Doc said to absolutely continue with the goji berries.

5% products discount

Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:48 pm      Reply with quote
My mom now sales Mona vie is has Acai in it. THey also have one withglucosamine. I have yet to try it however I have heard nothing but good things about it. I am just lazy and do not take ANYTHING regularly, so i do not take it. My 15 year old brother who is very sick all the time does take it and we have noticed many positive changes.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:50 pm      Reply with quote
I put some when I made chicken soup or even tea. They taste very good esp. bigger size one.
RMB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:06 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with Lotus. Goji berries and wolfberries are two names for the same thing = Lycium barbarum.

I doubt it's worthwhile to pay the price premium for Lycium barbarum from Tibet versus Lycium barbarum from Ningxia.

First, because I doubt people are even cultivating goji berries in Tibet. It's hard to make things grow in Tibet. That's why the people are so traditionally yak dependent.

The goji berries advertised as "Tibetan" might be organic, and that would be the only reason to pay more. But who knows if they're really organic? There are no FDA-accredited organic certification agencies operating there.

The Tanaduk Institute doesn't rub me the right way. It has a monetary incentive for pushing the idea of Tibetan goji berries. Plus, why do they only list their Indian agricultural sites in detail? If Tibet is such a great place for growing fruiting plants (which it's not), why not give more detail and spend more money there? And, if they only cultivate native plants in their native habitats, why do they request funds for greenhouses? The plants should do fine in the environments where they've apparently existed for thousands of years.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:39 pm      Reply with quote
I have heard that raw chocolate has the strongest strength and it cost an arm and a leg to purchase it. Also, it is very difficult to find in the retail market.
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
We were just at a health food store that sold a Goji juice called "Gojo 100" made by Genesis Today. Bottle says 100% pure wild harvested goji juice from whole lycium barbarum fruit. My husband recalls his grandmother talking about taking this juice daily and raving about it. She is the most energetic, youngest looking 80 something woman I have ever seen, so of course once my husband saw this jucie in the store he wanted to try it. The large bottle was quite expensive, so we just bought a 4oz bottle for $7 to see if we liked the taste first. But all the bottle says is that 30ml (1oz) contains 30,000 mg of pure Goji. I'm not sure how often to take it. Once a day, with each meal? Has anyone tried this juice? http://www.genesistoday.com/genesis_today_products/goji_100.html
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:06 pm      Reply with quote
Hehe, and to think I was just at a juice place in L.A. that claimed açai berries are the top antioxidant in the world! Anyone have experience with both and care to compare? Also, mods, since we're talking about smoothies rather than face masks, should we move this to the Lounge?

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:31 pm      Reply with quote
Here's a good link explaining the benefits of the Goji berry. http://www.healthyjuicesplus.com/files/1950379/uploaded/DrRxHealthyLiving_Goji.pdf
FrevaKZ
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:59 am      Reply with quote
I've actually heard that wild blueberries are at the top of the list, but I've never heard of goji berries before as they don't seem native or familiar to most north american markets.

FYI, things like raw chocolate and red wine providing antioxidants, are laughable, especially red wine. By the time grapes are taken from a vineyard and made into a wine, they lose most of the small amount (compared to other berries) of antioxidants that they had. Don't rely on calorie-dense foods like certain types of chocolate and wine to boost your spirits and health- it's just not worth it in the long run. There are far better ways to get the good stuff, without bringing in the bad stuff Wink

As for goji berry juice, I would personally buy the berries if I ever saw them. Most juices are processed, yes, even the organic and natural stuff, and they lose a lot of the health benefits that they are so known for, in their purest form. I second the smoothie suggestion, as that's how I get a lot of my fruits- making it myself. Buying expensive juice just isn't worth it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:48 am      Reply with quote
I was talking to my nutritionist yesterday and we were discussing this topic about the mangosteen, acai, and goji juices and how expensive they were. I'm calling it goji, but most likely it is wolfberry being sold. They are very high in antioxidant qualities as measured by the ORAC score. As an example, 100 grams of goji (wolfberry) equals about 30,300 ORAC units, whereas an orange is only 750. The ORAC is the measure of how much antioxidant power a fruit/vegetable or derived product contains. The minimal daily amount required for tissue health is between 3000 and 5000 ORAC units. So if you can drink goji juice or eat the berries each day, that would be a good idea. But the juices are expensive and may contain fillers. So I would recommend going to an Asian market and buying a bag of dried goji berries. Also, get some green tea there, much cheaper. My accupuncturist first introduced me to them and told me that the berries have been used for a long term in Eastern medicine. They don't taste bad at all, they are slightly sweet and chewy, like a dried cranberry/raisin taste. I would have a big bag next to my computer, and snack throughout the day.

Another product that my nutritionist recommended was this this antioxidant syrup that contains about 17,000 ORAC units per serving (24 in a bottle of 1 TB each). The bottle costs around $17. You can use it as a sweetener in drinks, food. There are different flavors such as grape, pomangranate, carob, date, and juniper berry. He liked all the flavors except Car-O-Power (carob). The Juniper berry tastes like molasses he said. Anyway, it's another way of getting a high-dose of antioxidants.

Here's a link to the company that makes it. They also make oregano oil P-73 superpotent gelcaps that my nutritionist swore should be in my medicine cabinet. It has antifungal, antibacterial, antiviral, and antiparasitic properies. There are some studies in the Research section of the website.

http://www.p-73.com/default.asp
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:05 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |