Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
***Request comments on my current skin regimen***
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Moon_Man
5% products discount

Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:17 am      Reply with quote
Hi, I've started trying to take care of my mild acne and overall skin condition and would like some feedback on my current regimen. I'm a 21 y/o male, with slightly oily skin and mild acne.

*I do this on rising in the morning and retiring at night (except tone which I do only on retiring)*

1. Cleanse - Simple cleansing wipes

2. Tone - Tesco Skin Wisdom Refreshing Toner (applied with cotton balls)

3. Benzoyl Peroxide (2.5%)

4. Moisturise - Nivea Visage (YOUNG) Control it Moisturiser (with pure ocean minerals - Oil free)

I don't know how these products interact with each other when combating my acne so I would appreciate some comments and feedback in changing my regimen to suit my skin better. I haven't got a lot to spend on expensive products so please bear that in mind.

If you need any ingredients for any of the products just ask!

Thanks
FaithTruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:32 am      Reply with quote
I would stop the BP immediately because it's said to have long term oxidative effects on the skin ie. aging. I would substitute that with a Paula's Choice BHA product which is great for acne and is affordable. Also I'm not sure about cleansing wipes - I feel they're either too harsh (alcohol) or don't cleanse well enough.
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:32 am      Reply with quote
I'm oily and prone to breakouts. I tried using the cleansing wipes, but found many of them had oils in them. So now I just use them if needed (eye makeup for me) but I always make sure I use a rinse-off cleanser every day.
Cream cleansers (wipe-off) and cleansing wipes I found left residue on my face that made me breakout.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:36 am      Reply with quote
I have a 24 year old son who uses a precription cleanser called Plexion, he does not moisturize and his skin looks great.
If you have medical coverage and go to a dermatologist, Plexion costs between 10 and 15 dollars a month, depending on coverage. My son is a doctoral student and has very little extra money and Plexion has worked for him!
Moon_Man
5% products discount

Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:19 pm      Reply with quote
FaithTruth wrote:
I would stop the BP immediately because it's said to have long term oxidative effects on the skin ie. aging. I would substitute that with a Paula's Choice BHA product which is great for acne and is affordable. Also I'm not sure about cleansing wipes - I feel they're either too harsh (alcohol) or don't cleanse well enogh.

Thanks for the info. I was always skeptical about the BP gel, I've been looking for an alternative for a while. Do you recommend 1% or 2%?

ParisTroika wrote:
I'm oily and prone to breakouts. I tried using the cleansing wipes, but found many of them had oils in them. So now I just use them if needed (eye makeup for me) but I always make sure I use a rinse-off cleanser every day.
Cream cleansers (wipe-off) and cleansing wipes I found left residue on my face that made me breakout.

The 'Simple facial cleansing wipes' are oil and alcohol free, and not coloured or perfumed. Can you give me an example of a rinse-off cleanser? I need one that will not cause breakouts.

Charmed1 wrote:
I have a 24 year old son who uses a precription cleanser called Plexion, he does not moisturize and his skin looks great.
If you have medical coverage and go to a dermatologist, Plexion costs between 10 and 15 dollars a month, depending on coverage. My son is a doctoral student and has very little extra money and Plexion has worked for him!

Thanks for the info! I don't have medical coverage or go to a dermatologist, but if it's available in the UK from pharmacists then I will definitely check it out.

Anyone else?
plug-in-babe
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:33 pm      Reply with quote
Cleansing wipes are to be used to remove makeup. That's why they have oils and leave a residue on your skin (whether you feel it or not). Do you really use them in the morning? Why don't you use the purifying cleansing lotion from the Simple line? Use it with face cloth. I am sure that works well.
Moon_Man
5% products discount

Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:35 pm      Reply with quote
plug-in-babe wrote:
Cleansing wipes are to be used to remove makeup. Do you really use them in the morning? Why don't you use the purifying cleansing lotion from the Simple line?

lol... I don't know, it just seemed like a time saver. I knew it was for make-up but thought it must be for general cleansing purposes too, maybe not.

At least now I know, thanks.
skim
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:35 pm      Reply with quote
I second stopping the BP. I would start off with 1% Paula's Choice BHA to start with. You can build up to 2%, but I found that 2% can be a little too much for my skin.

There are lots of good cleansers. If you want to prevent acne, you can find one with a bit of salycidic acid as well. Try finding one with 5.5 pH. I like the Earth Science cleanser I am using, but if you don't want a cream cleanser, they have a version for combo skin that foams. This is also 5.5pH. I got it at Whole Foods and it's a reasonable price.

I think a good cleanser, a BHA for exfoliation, and moisturizer would be fine for your skin. And sunblock during the day.

Also, if you want to spot treat pimples, I love tea tree oil. It zaps mine without too much drying like BP.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
I second tea tree oil for spot treatment and BHA gel for weekly exfoliating. Can you get Thursday Plantation's products in where you are? Their tea tree oil gel cleared my pimples. Also sunscreen or moisturizer with SPF when you are on BHA, cos your skin will be more sensitive.
Moon_Man
5% products discount

Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:58 pm      Reply with quote
plug-in-babe wrote:
I second tea tree oil for spot treatment and BHA gel for weekly exfoliating. Can you get Thursday Plantation's products in where you are? Their tea tree oil gel cleared my pimples. Also sunscreen or moisturizer with SPF when you are on BHA, cos your skin will be more sensitive.

I can see plenty of Thursday Plantation on eBay, but not the gel only the blemish stick. Is this just as good?
Moon_Man
5% products discount

Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
skim wrote:
I second stopping the BP. I would start off with 1% Paula's Choice BHA to start with. You can build up to 2%, but I found that 2% can be a little too much for my skin.

There are lots of good cleansers. If you want to prevent acne, you can find one with a bit of salycidic acid as well. Try finding one with 5.5 pH. I like the Earth Science cleanser I am using, but if you don't want a cream cleanser, they have a version for combo skin that foams. This is also 5.5pH. I got it at Whole Foods and it's a reasonable price.

I think a good cleanser, a BHA for exfoliation, and moisturizer would be fine for your skin. And sunblock during the day.

Also, if you want to spot treat pimples, I love tea tree oil. It zaps mine without too much drying like BP.

Thanks for the great info. Is a toner unnecessary in my regimen?

What should I look for in a moisturiser?
Moon_Man
5% products discount

Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:02 pm      Reply with quote
Moon_Man wrote:
plug-in-babe wrote:

I can see plenty of Thursday Plantation on eBay, but not the gel only the blemish stick. Is this just as good?

Nevermind, I found the gel on a different website!
plug-in-babe
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
If you can, why don't you also get Thursday Plantation's face wash as well. But I wouldn't recommend using BHA too frequently with those products. I know some people use BHA gel everyday, but I wouldn't recommend that. I use Neutrogena's blackhead eliminating scrub (with BHA too) once a week (and ususally only on T-zone) and that works well. BTW I don't use any other acne treatment at the moment cos I skin is pretty clear now. lol

As to a toner, as long as it doesn't contain alcohol and pore-clogging ingredients, then I think it should be fine.
Moon_Man
5% products discount

Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:33 pm      Reply with quote
plug-in-babe wrote:
If you can, why don't you also get Thursday Plantation's face wash as well. But I wouldn't recommend using BHA too frequently with those products. I know some people use BHA gel everyday, but I wouldn't recommend that. I use Neutrogena's blackhead eliminating scrub (with BHA too) once a week (and ususally only on T-zone) and that works well. BTW I don't use any other acne treatment at the moment cos I skin is pretty clear now. lol

As to a toner, as long as it doesn't contain alcohol and pore-clogging ingredients, then I think it should be fine.

I have just ordered the gel and cleanser Smile

So with these products should I use an exfoliant and a moisturiser? And in which order and how often should these 4 products be used?
plug-in-babe
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:45 pm      Reply with quote
I think exfoliant (whether gel or scrub) is weekly, oil-free moisturiser at night and sunscreen during the day. A guy on Vogue Australia's beauty forum swears by Olay's Regenerist SPF 15. lol But since your skin is oily, you should be careful when choosing a sunscreen/day moisturiser with sunscreen as many of them can be greasy. I have heard a lot of raves about Neutrogena's Dry Touch SPF 55. It's a good name - sounds like it's not greasy at all.

I put tea tree oil gel on the pimples after moisturising at night, by the way.

I am using Olay Complete SPF 15 for combination/oily skin. It has zinc oxide, which can be good for oily skin types. But my skin is not very oily so I think it might be greasy for very oily skin.
Moon_Man
5% products discount

Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:01 pm      Reply with quote
plug-in-babe wrote:
I think exfoliant (whether gel or scrub) is weekly, oil-free moisturiser at night and sunscreen during the day. A guy on Vogue Australia's beauty forum swears by Olay's Regenerist SPF 15. lol But since your skin is oily, you should be careful when choosing a sunscreen/day moisturiser with sunscreen as many of them can be greasy. I have heard a lot of raves about Neutrogena's Dry Touch SPF 55. It's a good name - sounds like it's not greasy at all.

I put tea tree oil gel on the pimples after moisturising at night, by the way.

I am using Olay Complete SPF 15 for combination/oily skin. It has zinc oxide, which can be good for oily skin types. But my skin is not very oily so I think it might be greasy for very oily skin.

So cleanse morning and night (won't it leave the skin dry?), moisturise and spot treatment at night only and exfoliate once per week.

With regards to sun cream, I live in the UK and the sun is barely out at this time of year. When it does come out (whether it is cold or not?) where/how should the sun cream be applied? Just to the brow, nose and cheeks, or all over the face?
plug-in-babe
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:07 pm      Reply with quote
You can use Paula's Choice BHA gel as an exfoliant more frequently if you have deicided to try it. It is supposed to unclog pores. But you need to have some money to order that. I'd think twice if I had ordered those Thursday Plantation's products (they should be nice).

Sunscreen needs to be applied all over face and neck. Harmful UVA rays are everywhere no matter where you are. You need some education on the sun, hehe, I highly recommend makeupalley's sunscreenFAQ notepad: http://makeupalley.com/user/notepad/sunscreenFAQ/

Also Paula Begoun's website has lots of resources on acne and sun protection. http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/art.asp?ID=29
FaithTruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
If you feel your skin is pretty oily and not too sensitive, you can start with the Paula's Choice 2% BHA. I started straight with 2% on my t zone only which was very clogged, oily and not that sensitive. Go for the liquid version - it's the most effective.
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:59 pm      Reply with quote
I recommend dropping the use of cleansing cloths and BP.

If you are worried about drying your skin out by cleansing in the morning, try using a very gentle, all natural cleanser that isn't really foamy. Remember that you can effectively cleanse your skin without using a foaming cleanser. And if you don't want to use a moisturizer in the AM try using a balancing floral water (sort of a toner) after cleansing.
(You can always try doing a search for a gentle claanser on this forum and see what turns up.)

You might also want to try doing an aspirin mask 1-2 times per week (see DIY thread for various aspirin mask recipies). It's cheap and gentle, yet effective.

Good luck! Smile

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
plug-in-babe
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:06 am      Reply with quote
Hey, Moon_Man. Today I checked the ingredients of the Nivea Young moisturizer. I found that it contained too many pore-clogging ingredients, including silica and TiO2. I really doubt it is a suitable moisturizer for acne prone skin.

If your skin don't feel tight after washing, I'd suggest skipping moisturizer. Apply sunscreen only during the day and tea tree oil gel only on the pimples and cysts at night.
Moon_Man
5% products discount

Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:11 am      Reply with quote
plug-in-babe wrote:
Hey, Moon_Man. Today I checked the ingredients of the Nivea Young moisturizer. I found that it contained too many pore-clogging ingredients, including silica and TiO2. I really doubt it is a suitable moisturizer for acne prone skin.

If your skin don't feel tight after washing, I'd suggest skipping moisturizer. Apply sunscreen only during the day and tea tree oil gel only on the pimples and cysts at night.

Oh, thanks for that! Skip moisturising altogether? My skin usually feels very dry and tight after washing, but maybe with a different cleanser that wouldn't be the case (?)

I have bought the 'Thursday Plantation: Tea Tree Cleansing Face Wash with Chamomile' No idea how this will leave my skin. Here are the ingredients:

Aqua
TEA-Lauryl Sulfate
Cocomidopropyl Betaine
Proplyene Glycol (and) Ethoxydiglycol (and) Chamomilla Recutita
Melaleuca Alternifolia
Sodium Chloride
Propylene Glycol (and) Diazolidinyl Urea (and) Methylparaben (and) Propylparaben
Fragrance
Citric Acid

What would you recommend in the way of moisturisers if my skin was left dry?

Also, would I apply the Tea Tree Blemish Gel only to actual spots or to scars from spots that are healing?

Thanks
plug-in-babe
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:39 am      Reply with quote
I put the gel on both pimples and acne scars. I think it can fade acne scars too. I have never had cysts but if you do, you could heal them with tea tree oil gel.

If your skin feels really dry after washing (I am aware it's winter now on the Northern Hemisphere), you need a moisturizer. Skip it at night if your skin is not dry. That's better for oily skin. But I wouldn't recommend keep using the Nivea Control It one. It looks bad to me. And don' forget to use one with sun protection during the day. For night, you could try Neutrogena oil-free moisture for combination skin. DON'T use Neutrogena oil-free moisture for sensitive skin. It contains petrolatum and might clog pores. The one with SPF 15 is alright,a good day time moisturizer, but when I used it I thought it was a bit greasy. Maybe you won't find it greasy if you live in a cold a dry place.

There is a thread about moisturizers for oily skin on here. Have a visit there. But some recommendations are pretty expensive. IMO, skincare doesn't have to be expensive to be effective. Cheap alternatives are just as good.
CyndiK.
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:38 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Skip moisturising altogether? My skin usually feels very dry and tight after washing, but maybe with a different cleanser that wouldn't be the case (?)

Hey Moon_Man~ A female Derm. doctor told me people often over moisturized or used moisturizer at night when it’s unneeded...she said if your face is tight after you wash it...give it 20 - 30 minutes...if it's still tight, mist or splash with water then apply moisturizer lightly. Just another opinion....

I totally agree on eliminating the BP and using tea tree oil for spots and/or the very easy to find acne treatments sticks with salicylic acid.

Applying an AHA cream daily has been skin changing for many with mild acne...this line is hard to beat... [/url]www.alphahydrox.com[url]
Drink your water everyday and sunscreen...sunscreen baby! Oil of Olay Complete (spf 15 w/ antioxidants) is nice and light for mostly inside days.....and Juice Beauty (CVS) has a spf 30 sunscreen / moisturizer w/ a very light tint for when you’ll be walking a few blocks or standing around outside for a bit.

Wish I’d been reading this board when I was 21 – good for you! Smile
Moon_Man
5% products discount

Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:50 am      Reply with quote
plug-in-babe wrote:
Don' forget to use one with sun protection during the day. For night, you could try Neutrogena oil-free moisture for combination skin. DON'T use Neutrogena oil-free moisture for sensitive skin. It contains petrolatum and might clog pores. The one with SPF 15 is alright,a good day time moisturizer, but when I used it I thought it was a bit greasy. Maybe you won't find it greasy if you live in a cold a dry place.

This is the one that left your skin greasy?
Neutrogena Oil Free Moisture, SPF 15:
http://www.wedgles.com/ItemId/B000FKLBYE

This is the one you recommend?
Neutrogena Oil Free Moisture for Combination Skin:
http://www.wedgles.com/ItemId/B000FKGILA

It's proving difficult to find these products on UK sites. Will they be available in many high street stores?

plug-in-babe wrote:
There is a thread about moisturizers for oily skin on here. Have a visit there. But some recommendations are pretty expensive. IMO, skincare doesn't have to be expensive to be effective. Cheap alternatives are just as good.

I'll check that thread out. Thanks for all your help.
Moon_Man
5% products discount

Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:12 pm      Reply with quote
CyndiK. wrote:
Wish I’d been reading this board when I was 21 – good for you! Smile

I'll count myself lucky Smile

I definitely have been over moisturising though. I usually apply it twice a day, and quite a generous application too! Considering it's got some nasty ingredients, I'll cut it straight out. I think my moisturising habits came about from using BP gel. One thing that stuck in my mind from the site was "NEVER skip moisturising".

Which cream are you referring to from the alphahydrox site? Would an AHA exfoliant be just as useful?
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:38 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |