Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

love cats?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
lipglossbaby
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
hey everyone!
i was planing on getting a new cat...can anyone tell me if you know that persian cats or friendly or not?i hurd mix things about them....
if they are not, do you know any cats that are that beautiful looking but r friendly?
i am just so inlove with cats, and i cant stop thinking about buying a really fluffy cute cat soon, but i'm just scared its gona turn out to be a cold one....
how can you tell if they are friendly or not when they are a kitten???need some advise...
btw, post some pix of your cats too if you want!
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
You're so going to love owning a cat. I have two male cats that I refer to as "my boys". I still remember the first time I saw my first cat Snuggles. I was at the Humane Society and there were tons of kitties that day. He came up to the door of the cage, stuck out his paw and meowed at me. I knew at the moment that I had to get him. I totally ignored my bf who kept asking me to take one of the tabbies nearby. When we brought him home and I took him out of the box, he purred. I knew I'd love him forever. I will post pictures of my cats once I figure out how to. Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:42 pm      Reply with quote
does anyone also know how much persian cats r?i know they are really expensive but hey, thier worth it!
lipglossbaby
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:43 pm      Reply with quote
http://www.persian-cats.com/gallery.cgi?breed=silver&start=20
look at the "angel's new litter" kittens!it is soooooooooo sweet!
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:44 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with Yen - it's pretty obvious when a cat is friendly. The humane society have a ton of gorgeous purebreds too. And, you can also call the breed rescue.

I've had a persian and they are sweet but some can be aloof.

I've had a siamese that acted more like a dog ...fetched, the whole nine yards.

My sweetest cat was a Maine Coone. They're huge and large slugs. Ragdolls are another. They're called that because when you carry them they have a tendency to just hang.

Overall though - I really do recommend rescue - they have a lot of kittens, purebreds and young adults ... just think 'no training!'

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
Persian cats are really expensive. I personally don't believe in purchasing any pets. There are tons of animals in need at the shelters. It breaks my heart everytime I go there. Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:03 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with the adoption suggestion. I adopted my kitty at the age of 8 weeks or so last year and he has been wonderful ever since, half tail and all. LOL My friend nicknamed him "Stubby" but I think he's perfect. Somone had adopted him and then returned him shortly after. I feel lucky that they did because he is an angel. He is a cute orange tabby, short haired domestic and part siamese too. (Has the cute narrow Siamese face and pointy ears.) Oddly enough he likes to fetch too. LOL Hmm must be a Siamese trait. And he does at times act like a dog too althought he doesn't like them. We're currently dog sitting my "newphew", a cute pug and he can't get too close to him. Ah well, he always has been a scaredy cat.

Please keep in mind that pets are work though. They can be moody and act up, just like children so you have to love them with faults and all. I've been pretty lucky. My cat hasn't destroyed much - just scratched up the "good" couches and nearly gave my mother a heart attack but now he's not allowed in that room any more and he hasn't done anything else that naughty. Wink

I knew I had to take him home when I held him. I saw his picture on the humane society site and went to pick him up the next day. As soon as I held him he began to purr like a little motor. I still call him that to this day - "my little motor". And he still does purr that loudly whenever I hold him pr pet him.

I think you'll just "know" when you find your pet. Of course the way you treat your new baby will determine how he/she grows up as well and how friendly and loving they are. Just like children they learn what they are taught. So many people say they have bad pets but the problem really is they have bad parenting skills. So please make sure to read up on proper care and give your new kitty lots of love beacause they give us so much unconditonal love in return. And of course don't forget to spay or neuter your pet too!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:35 pm      Reply with quote
If you do end up buying your persian, then try and get one that has been hand reared - by that I mean one that has lots of human attention since birth. In my experience it makes a big difference to how cuddly a cat is if they are cuddled and petted a lot in the first 6 weeks after birth.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:39 pm      Reply with quote
PLEASE consider adoption. There are so many unwanted, unloved kitties just languishing in shelters, waiting for someone to take them home. If you adopted a kitty from a shelter, you wouldn't just be adding to your family and gainging a lifelong friend, you'd also be saving a life.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:45 pm      Reply with quote
I agree! Try to get a kitty from a shelter first if you can. It breaks my heart to see all those poor sweet little kitties that need homes. I have three cats, two are from the SPCA and one is from the pet store (I couldn't resist). I think my oldest boy is a Maine Coon and Rjez is right ... they are totally sweet! He'll roll over and let you rub his belly ... so cute! He's a big cat though ... I think he's 18 pounds! My other two are domestic short hairs.

It took me a while to decide if I was ready for the commitment of pet ownership, but when I knew I was ready ... I wouldn't go back! These guys are so awesome, I can't imagine living without a pet now.

Good luck in your search!
lipglossbaby
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:46 pm      Reply with quote
i already have one like that, i found her fom the street when she was a baby back then when we lived in Turkey........i just never bought a cat b4 and i dont know how to tell a baby persian cat if its friendly or not at first...
i just really want a persian at though, they look so cuddly and cute...i dont know...just look at this pic..hehe
http://www.kittikamir.com/st.jpg
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:56 pm      Reply with quote
lipglossbaby wrote:
i already have one like that, i found her fom the street when she was a baby back then when we lived in Turkey........i just never bought a cat b4 and i dont know how to tell a baby persian cat if its friendly or not at first...
i just really want a persian at though, they look so cuddly and cute...i dont know...just look at this pic..hehe
http://www.kittikamir.com/st.jpg

Okay, the cat that runs up to you and starts to purrrrrrrrr and generally won't leave you alone just may be the affectionate one. But there are cats that need some alone time to get over whatever seperation trauma they are going through and become more and more affectionate over time. If you want a Persian be prepared to groom all the time so you don't end up with a matted kitty.
lipglossbaby
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:03 pm      Reply with quote
yeah, like just for this week my friend gave me her cat and its 15 years old, its an old grumpy cat..its a hamaleyen and its sooo beautiful..it never comes to you unless you force her to sit on your lap, then she does...my friend told me that all hamaleyen cats and persians cats are like her, but i hurd from other friend that they are so friendly and cudly...you can find them at a good pet shops right?and like you guys said, i will give my full attension to them...i'm really eixted!
lipglossbaby
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:05 pm      Reply with quote
http://www.lepersan.com/en/files/Maranello/effetmaranello.jpg
Bunny7475
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:30 pm      Reply with quote
Siamese are very sweet. There are so many different varieties. They are very affectionate (almost to a fault!) and intelligent in my experience. The cool thing is there are Siamese rescues (probably Persian, too). Do a Google search for the breed you're looking for + "rescue". There are usually one or two at my humane society, and I live in a pretty small town so you might want to check that angle too. You can also tell the folks at the shelter what you are looking for and they will put you name on a list to be called if that kind of cat comes in.
my sushi secret
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:27 pm      Reply with quote
Yen wrote:
He came up to the door of the cage, stuck out his paw and meowed at me. I knew at the moment that I had to get him.

My cat did that too, but when he sneezed on me, that's when I knew he was mine!

All I know about Persian cats is that they look pretty rough (gross, in fact) when they get eye infections because they're so furry, and that you have to brush them A LOT. The first time I pet my roommate's cat, I thought some of her bones was sticking out, but it was just matted fur!
kalegr
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:31 am      Reply with quote
I love persian cats but they certainly do require regular grooming. At the moment we have a variety of breeds including 3 "exotics" which are short haired persians, two of them are super affectionate and have outstanding natures, the other however is stand offish but she has always been that way since we got her from the breeder. We have a number of "rescue" cats (these are no particular breed) as well and they all have good natures and they too are really affectionate, you will probably find a "rescue" persian or persian cross readily available, alot of people just aren't prepared to look after them properly ie keep up the grooming and they end up in a rescue organisation. BTW the kitty in the link you posted looks like its a silver tabby - they are a really pretty colour.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:27 am      Reply with quote
Living in a rural area, we get so many drop-offs, mostly purebred. You would be suprised how many we feed that then have to be relocated and adopted. I have Squeeky a tabby, Miss Pretty a VERY snooty little Siamese with gorgeous blue eyes, and Hurley a HUGE male grey Manx who thinks he's a lab retriever with paws the size of my hand. Each one is more needy than my hubby and child (can't believe that) and they all get into spats. They are also hunters, so that's always a doormat suprise and they don't like the fact that I don't want them hurting the lizards (partial to them) and birds.
Definately adopt because there are sooo many that need new homes and then they are neutered. If it's an indoor cat, any can shed so be prepared. If outdoors, consider a bell collar if in neighborhood. Good luck and hope you enjoy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:11 am      Reply with quote
A few years ago we took in an elderly persian cat from our in-laws. They were moving to Texas and didn't think he'd do well there, or the process of the moving. He was a longhair tabby, former show cat. His name was Bob. Persian are the sweetest cats! He was such a lap cat, just content to be near you. He did require lots of almost daily grooming and periodical trips to the groomer for his 'summer' hair cut, but it really wasn't that mush of a chore. If you get one of the types with the flat face you also have to make sure you keep their faces clean... Even though we did have him for very long (he passed away two years after we took him) he made an impression on our house! Laughing

Persians, especially longhair ones like Bob, can be expensive. I don't see anything wrong with purchasing a cat; all kitties need homes.

We also have a persian mix, Cosmo. He retains the sweetness of a persian, but he's a little bit bigger (persians are small), his fur's not as long. His coat is really soft like a persian's.
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:55 am      Reply with quote
well, cute kittens can turn into somewhat different looking adult cats and personally I am not attracted to the flat-faced ones (my grandmother had a mean-spirited white persian once, that was pretty, but MAN she just hated us grandkids).

If you are wondering how Persian cats are made...

Scroll down

and a bit more

I am sorry.. I am the world's greatest moggy lover (at 3 I used to go out collecting the neighbourhood strays and bring them home), but this just cracks me up every time.... (as my mum said when I showed her "aww, poor puss")

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:57 am      Reply with quote
As tiger_tim mentioned, a lot of handling in the first six weeks is so important! And please do consider adoption from a shelter; you are almost guaranteed to fall in love with one there. Smile
salli
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:14 am      Reply with quote
If you are looking at purchasing or adopting I would strongly recommend a Maine Coon or Maine Coon mix. They have a gentle personality.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:58 am      Reply with quote
If you want a beautiful, fuzzy "snuggle kitty," you might think of getting a Ragdoll. The breed is part Persian (long hair) and part Siamese (coloring/markings and blue eyes). They get the name "rag doll" because -- generally, as a breed -- they love to be carried around by their masters/mistresses and/or sit in their person's lap and snuggle.

Just remember with all cats, THEY do the choosing as to who their person is, not the other way around. We have 8 housecats (and assorted and sundry "feral" cats outside) and all of the ones that were supposed to be "my" cats actually attached themselves to my mom or my son and vice versa (my mom's cats love me most).

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:03 pm      Reply with quote
salli wrote:
If you are looking at purchasing or adopting I would strongly recommend a Maine Coon or Maine Coon mix. They have a gentle personality.
Amen to that! The best (i.e.: most loving, loyal, sweetest, gentlest, snuggle-bunniest) cats I have ever had are Maine Coons....

LipGlossBaby -- If you've got your heart set on a pure-bred Persian, just remember that they tend to have certain health and/or grooming issues that you'll have to keep abreast of (i.e.: because of their "smooshed in" faces, they can have breathing problems and/or be prone to eye discharges) so you'll need to make sure that you have the time and money to devote to a purebred.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:09 pm      Reply with quote
I 2nd that carekate!

Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:00 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |