Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

What is the best hair serum that smooths hair out?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:22 pm      Reply with quote
I used to think Pantene Pro V was the best one until I came to EDS, and now learned that I should say no to Pantene. Now I need to find a replacement for that serum (which is the clear oil looking one). Please help.
Sundew
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:38 pm      Reply with quote
Cherisse wrote:
I used to think Pantene Pro V was the best one until I came to EDS, and now learned that I should say no to Pantene. Now I need to find a replacement for that serum (which is the clear oil looking one). Please help.

My shiney smooth hair secrets:

-Apple Cider Vinager rinse whenever I feel like I have calcium/product build up (I put mine in a little spray bottle from Sally's and leave it in the shower...find it is much easier to apply it that way).
-***Paul Brown Shine Amplifier (I LOVE this stuff)
-Biosilk

HTH

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
Is Paul Brown Shine Amplifier a serum? Does it help to detangle and smooth out hair? Where did you buy yours from?
Thanks!

Sundew wrote:
Cherisse wrote:

-Apple Cider Vinager rinse whenever I feel like I have calcium/product build up (I put mine in a little spray bottle from Sally's and leave it in the shower...find it is much easier to apply it that way).
-Biosilk

HTH
Sundew
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:49 pm      Reply with quote
Cherisse wrote:
Is Paul Brown Shine Amplifier a serum? Does it help to detangle and smooth out hair? Where did you buy yours from?
Thanks!

Sundew wrote:
Cherisse wrote:

-Biosilk

HTH

The Shine Amplifier is a shine spray but the Biosilk is a serum. I'm not sure where you live but usually you can find Biosilk at a drugstore or even grocery store. Paul Brown is a salon product. But I'm not a 100% on this because so many salon products end up in chains stores before you have time to blink Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
So true! I am seeing Biosilk at Ralph's (Grocery) and Target. I should try their serum then.
adrianaL
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:02 pm      Reply with quote
I love phytodefrisant botanical cream is my fav for smoothing and straightening, but I also like biosilk for shine.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:17 pm      Reply with quote
Its not a serum, more like a lotion.
It's TIGI bedhead afterparty, funny looking bottle but it works great smoothing out my hair with out it looking flat.
CG
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
Mucota Oil! (Pure Essensce Oil) http://www.ibsbeauty.com/iStraight/index.html
or Jasmin Oil Serum
http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P57300&categoryId=B70
HTH
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:00 pm      Reply with quote
I have tried zillions of serums - my latest one is a leave in conditioner:
Brocato
Saturation, Light Leave-in Conditioner

My hair is fine and gets frizzy and annoying. So far Iam loving this. I'll do a separate review of it.
Loreg
5% products discount

Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
Cherisse, one of the best serums I have tried is Tigi Bedhead serum, perhaps the best. It is not dense and smells great. Other is Citre Shine serum (not spray) but it's thicker. And another option is John Friedas's shock shine. It is very good too. I have tried several on my curly frizzy hair!!! Very Happy
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:22 pm      Reply with quote
I heard good things about Charles Worthington frizz-taming serum on the makeupalley forum. I think I purchased it from drugstore.com, the price was very reasonable.
When my sister stayed at my house over the summer, that ho took my bottle with her (...do you think she would tell me that she was taking it??? NO. I noticed it when I went to use it and it was missing). So when I reordered it, I bought an extra one for my travel bag. Its great stuff, it doesn't make your hair heavy or greasy looking.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:38 pm      Reply with quote
Chrissie wrote:
I heard good things about Charles Worthington frizz-taming serum on the makeupalley forum. I think I purchased it from drugstore.com, the price was very reasonable.
When my sister stayed at my house over the summer, that ho took my bottle with her (...do you think she would tell me that she was taking it??? NO. I noticed it when I went to use it and it was missing). So when I reordered it, I bought an extra one for my travel bag. Its great stuff, it doesn't make your hair heavy or greasy looking.

Wish I had read this before the weekend! I just ordered from drugstore.com and was trying to think of everything else I should order to get the free shipping benefit. After I ordered, I remembered all the stuff I should have bought.
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:33 am      Reply with quote
Cherisse wrote:
So true! I am seeing Biosilk at Ralph's (Grocery) and Target. I should try their serum then.

Cherisse, do a forum search for Biosilk. CareKate - our resident hair serum expert, HATES Biosilk. It has tons of alcohol in it and actually over time ruins your hair. Read her review/comments on it. She recommends the Paves serum product instead. Just wanted you to know!
jacque
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:00 am      Reply with quote
have you tried KERASTASE NUTRIDEFENSE MASQUE? Very useful for me, but a bit expensive. Crying or Very sad
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:40 am      Reply with quote
MermaidGirl wrote:
Cherisse wrote:

Cherisse, do a forum search for Biosilk. CareKate - our resident hair serum expert, HATES Biosilk. It has tons of alcohol in it and actually over time ruins your hair. Read her review/comments on it. She recommends the Paves serum product instead. Just wanted you to know!

Just as I was starting to get extremely alarmed by what I was reading, I get to the end and find that MermaidGirl's helping to spread my gospel! Very Happy Thanks, K -- you took the words right out of my mouth.

carekate wrote:
Farouk BioSilk Silk Therapy is the absolute WORST thing you can use on your hair! I know, I know: it makes your hair look so shiny and gorgeous. Yeah, that’s how they sucker us in! This stuff will dry out your hair quicker than just about anything except maybe pouring straight rubbing alcohol on it. I was suckered in by Silk Therapy for months until I ran out one day and this forced me to reevaluate the health of my hair and discovered – to my everlasting horror – that my hair was so frizzy and fried looking that I actually had to get it trimmed down to a super-short crop (think Halle Berry) in order to get it healthy again! Therefore, I beseech everyone to toss their bottle of overpriced Silk Therapy in the trash before you wreck your hair beyond redemption! IMHO, that stuff is as damaging to one’s hair as St. Ives Apricot Scrub is to one’s face!!! Being a litigious American, I wish I could file a class-action lawsuit against the makers of both products to sue for the near-permanent damages they caused to my hair and skin.... Wink

If you don't believe that it dries your hair out after long-term use, think about how your hair looks/feels if you DON'T apply the BioSilk. It's all frizzy and frazzled looking unless you apply it, right? That's cuz your hair is dehydrated and fried from the alcohol. It's like a dependency where you use it cuz you think it works great, then you HAVE to use it cuz your hair looks like crap without it and the more you use it, the more you're damaging your hair and so the cycle continues....

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:29 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
MermaidGirl wrote:
Cherisse wrote:

Just as I was starting to get extremely alarmed by what I was reading, I get to the end and find that MermaidGirl's helping to spread my gospel! Very Happy Thanks, K -- you took the words right out of my mouth.

carekate wrote:
Farouk BioSilk Silk Therapy is the absolute WORST thing you can use on your hair! I know, I know: it makes your hair look so shiny and gorgeous. Yeah, that’s how they sucker us in! This stuff will dry out your hair quicker than just about anything except maybe pouring straight rubbing alcohol on it. I was suckered in by Silk Therapy for months until I ran out one day and this forced me to reevaluate the health of my hair and discovered – to my everlasting horror – that my hair was so frizzy and fried looking that I actually had to get it trimmed down to a super-short crop (think Halle Berry) in order to get it healthy again! Therefore, I beseech everyone to toss their bottle of overpriced Silk Therapy in the trash before you wreck your hair beyond redemption! IMHO, that stuff is as damaging to one’s hair as St. Ives Apricot Scrub is to one’s face!!! Being a litigious American, I wish I could file a class-action lawsuit against the makers of both products to sue for the near-permanent damages they caused to my hair and skin.... Wink

If you don't believe that it dries your hair out after long-term use, think about how your hair looks/feels if you DON'T apply the BioSilk. It's all frizzy and frazzled looking unless you apply it, right? That's cuz your hair is dehydrated and fried from the alcohol. It's like a dependency where you use it cuz you think it works great, then you HAVE to use it cuz your hair looks like crap without it and the more you use it, the more you're damaging your hair and so the cycle continues....

Uh oh! Thankfully I don't use it everyday/I'm almost out. I won't be repurchasing! Thanks ladys Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:30 am      Reply with quote
yikes! add carmex to that list!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
Sundew
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:50 am      Reply with quote
avalange wrote:
yikes! add carmex to that list!

--avalange

OMG I was thinking the same thing when I read that! But didn't say it because I didn't know if other people would know what the heck I was talking about. Stupid products that try to make you dependent while not helping!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:04 am      Reply with quote
BIOSILK!!
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:09 am      Reply with quote
I heard Paves has a really good product to make hair shiny but I have been unable to find their products anywhere. My problem is I will put a no-frizz product on,it looks good and then a few minutes later my hair looks frizzy again. My hair looks best when I dont wash it and it looks the worst the day I wash it!I wish I could find a product that would KEEP the frizzies down and add shine.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:27 am      Reply with quote
lucyluc wrote:
I heard Paves has a really good product to make hair shiny but I have been unable to find their products anywhere. My problem is I will put a no-frizz product on,it looks good and then a few minutes later my hair looks frizzy again. My hair looks best when I dont wash it and it looks the worst the day I wash it!I wish I could find a product that would KEEP the frizzies down and add shine.

This is it: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=7544&highlight=paves+shine+serum+drugstore

It was my holy grail shine serum, until they changed the formula to include dimethicone. It's still a great product (no drying alcohol and it's not "heavy" like, say John Frida's "Frizz-Ease" drugstore serum), but I'm just anti-silicones (unless they're water-soluble)....

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:23 pm      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
... but I'm just anti-silicones (unless they're water-soluble)....

CareKate, how do you tell if a silicone is water-soluble? Is there a list out there somewhere that tells the difference between water-soluble and non? I know zip about 'cones, just to try to avoid them. TIA! Very Happy
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
Oh and BTW, CareKate, my sister gave me a brand new bottle of Biosilk recently ... after I told her about your findings, I immediately binned it! We have educated another consumer and she will be using something else now.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:35 pm      Reply with quote
MermaidGirl wrote:
carekate wrote:
... but I'm just anti-silicones (unless they're water-soluble)....

CareKate, how do you tell if a silicone is water-soluble? Is there a list out there somewhere that tells the difference between water-soluble and non? I know zip about 'cones, just to try to avoid them. TIA! Very Happy

I saw a list on another thread yesterday....my poor memory can't remember which thread though, and I am frustrated with the search function here. Even when I told it to search for all words, it would still give me irrelevant posts as results, and who has time to look through 23 pages?
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
An idea for CareKate ... have you thought about setting up a free, internet-based e-mail account strictly for use by folks who want to order product from you? People are really experiencing frustration with PMing you through EDS, so maybe a Yahoo or Hotmail account that you can access at work via the internet would be the ticket (how about "CareKate@yahoo. com" or CareKate@hotmail. com")?

I find the Yahoo system to be easier to use and it has a large capacity in-box, so it would solve the problem of people not knowing if you got their PM ... and would probably end up being a boon to you because then you'd be receiving ALL the orders sent to you vs. possibly losing some through the EDS PM system. Just a thought.

Since PMing you is difficult, I will be re-posting this on a couple other CareKate threads hoping you see it!
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:46 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |