Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Going to Manchester & London
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Canadian Girl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:48 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,
I going on a business trip to Manchester and London in a few weeks. Is there anything that I should put on my shopping list???

Any products that have wowed anyone that I should purchase skincare related or not???

thanks
CG
Jenhelen7
5% products discount

Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:46 pm      Reply with quote
I'm from the UK but I live in Ontario - everything is kind of expensive "over there" in fact I use EDS to send stuff to my sister in Liverpool. The only things I always shop for when I go home are shoes, Thornton's chocolates and marmite. Shoes are one of the few items that are comparitively priced and the selection is fantastic. Thornton's Chocolates are amazing - try the Viennese Truffles. You should also go into Havey Nic's and Harrods just for fun when you are in London anyway.
As for the marmite....don't ask. Very Happy
Canadian Girl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:10 pm      Reply with quote
Jenhelen7 wrote:
I'm from the UK but I live in Ontario - everything is kind of expensive "over there" in fact I use EDS to send stuff to my sister in Liverpool. The only things I always shop for when I go home are shoes, Thornton's chocolates and marmite. Shoes are one of the few items that are comparitively priced and the selection is fantastic. Thornton's Chocolates are amazing - try the Viennese Truffles. You should also go into Havey Nic's and Harrods just for fun when you are in London anyway.
As for the marmite....don't ask. Very Happy

Thanks Jenhelen7, I love thorntons- especially their toffee! SO I can't wait to get my hands on that! I will definately try the Viennese Truffles. What is marmite???
I just want to make sure I get any good products that are only available in the UK when I go- anyone reccommend anything from BOOTS???
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:33 pm      Reply with quote
Canadian Girl, Boots has a lot of wonderful things. Browse!!! I like their Botanics range a lot and also the Simple range. I also like the bubble bath from Boots. I find that there is a wider selection for a good price - you may not wish to lug around bubble bath though! Wink Neal's Yard and Culpepper are lovely, albeit expensive holistic/organic-type of shops. Selfridges, Harvey Nicholls, Harrods are a lot of fun - make-up and otherwise. I like Marks and Spencer for clothes. You may have to forage but often find good stuff. I like British Home Stores (BHS) for clothes too and Debenhams is good for shoes/clothes etc. The shops on Oxford Street are a fun way to spend an afternoon. I love a shop called "Monsoon" for clothes and a linked store called "Accessorize" for accessories by color. The Knickerbox is cool, as is The Sock shop. These are also easy to find high-street shops that you'll find both in Manchester and London. Manchester has changed a lot and you'll find it quite gentrified, especially by the river. Go to soccer if you're into it.

The supermarkets (Sainsbury's and Tesco's among others) are also great. They even carry their own line of beauty products and some of the stuff is good.
Marmite is yeast extract and an acquired taste. I doubt you'd enjoy it if you aren't used to it.
Chocolate cookies such as Bourbons and Hob-nobs are great. I also like Shortbread and simple "tea biscuits" - plain ones. I can't remember the brand though. Teas - Tetley's or Ahmad Tea (for fancy). Custard powder? Might also be acquired taste, like gravy granules called Bisto.

Have a fantastic time...and remember to pack an umbrella!
Canadian Girl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:59 pm      Reply with quote
Agent OO-CAT,
Thank you sooo much for the great suggestions! I hope I can fit all that in while I am there! I will only be there for a week, and most of it is for work, only 2 free days for myself!

I will definately check out Boots for sure!
stellamaris
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:23 pm      Reply with quote
Jo Malone's makeup range is only available in the UK and Ireland. I am a big fan of the finishing fluid and finishing blush.

Space NK if you are looking for skincare. You can get Eve Lom there.

The Organic Pharmacy and Neal's Yard are two other places I would visit.

As far as food goes I like English chocolate very much. I also like liquorice allsorts, winegums and jelly babies. Smarties are much nicer than m&ms. English kit kats are better than the American ones. English tea is nice as well.

If you have lots of money go to Agent Provocateur for beautiful lingerie!
Camelia
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:36 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Canadian Girl
Definately go to Harvey Nichols beauty hall, you might be interested in visiting Pout's own shop in Shelton St, Covent Garden. Liz Earle Naturally Active Skincare now has a shop at 53 Duke of York Square (not far from Harvey Nichols)Her Cleanse and Polish Hot Cloth Cleanser has won many awards and many like her masks,tonics and Superbalm. Cosmetics a la Carte are at 19b Motcomb St (again near Harvey Nichols!!) and are well known amongst makeup artists for great bases, they can also replicate discontinued lipstick shades for you. If you already like Paul & Joe cosmetics, you'll probably love their clothes store too, they have a store in Sloane St and Ledbury Rd. A Neal's yard shop is also nearby or you could visit their original shop if you are in the Covent Garden area (their frankincense cream has a cult following) If you are passing by a Boots their own brand Time Delay Rejuvenating Day Cream was awarded top miracle cream in the Handbag Beauty Bible book. SpaceNK shops are in most good high streets in London and sell brands like REN who have a Morrocan rose bath oil that people go nuts about! Some of their own fragrances are pretty good too. That's about all I can think of for the moment,a lot of brands are already sold in your Sephora shops I think (eg Pout, Pixi, Paul & Joe)but I think if you go to the beauty halls in Harvey nics, Harrods, Selfridges and Liberty (love their perfume room for unusual brands) then go will have seen practically all the brands, get your credit card at the ready!
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:10 am      Reply with quote
Some great suggestions here for you already! If you feel like a reviving snack in the area around Harvey Nicks, try Patisserie Valerie:
http://www.patisserie-valerie.co.uk/index.php?sid=a169a6608948&p=outlets&o_id=3
This was my Sunday treat place when I lived in London although that was a very long time ago - it looks like they have seriously expanded since!
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:47 am      Reply with quote
I think our supermarket chains are world class; Waitrose for high quality, Tescos for amazing variety. The first thing I used to do when I came home from living abroad was take a trip to them.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:55 am      Reply with quote
fifi wrote:
Some great suggestions here for you already! If you feel like a reviving snack in the area around Harvey Nicks, try Patisserie Valerie:
http://www.patisserie-valerie.co.uk/index.php?sid=a169a6608948&p=outlets&o_id=3
This was my Sunday treat place when I lived in London although that was a very long time ago - it looks like they have seriously expanded since!

fifi's suggestion is wonderful. pat val is an institution, and my favourite one by far is because it's in Old Compton Street in Soho, which is such a vibrant part of town. I would have lunch in in Neals Yard at one of the wholefood type cafe's, the brazilian one is great.. well, they all are .. and browse in covent garden, then cross over charing cross road to soho and have afternoon tea at pat val, with one of their wonderful cakes, and sit upstairs by the window and watch the world go by.
( I got my wedding cake from them!)
You couldnt fail to have fun and find all sorts of interesting shops and sights!
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:56 am      Reply with quote
I live near Manchester and it is shopping paradise there, I won't repeat all of the above wonderful suggestions, so here's a few more:

*Selfridges is an upmarket department store that sells everything from designer clothes, make-up (MAC, Nars, Bobbi Brown..) skincare (Origins, Dr Hauschka, Decleor, Clinique...) to food & Wine.

*Now if you have blown the budget go into Primark/TKMAX, a large clothes shop that sells high street clothing at ridiculously low prices....£2 a top and £5 a coat, you can come away with a whole new wardrobe for under £50!!
TK MAX is downstairs and sells reduced price designer labels.

*Fish and Chips!!! You have got to get yourself to the local chippy in the area for at least one meal Wink

Oh and I nearly forgot, there's Lush too for all handmade soaps.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:04 am      Reply with quote
and Richmond Park. Those the things I used to miss most; supermarkets and Richmond Park.
jacque
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:05 am      Reply with quote
you can visit some local NYR shop. the skincare is very nice.
www.nealsyardremedies.com/
Jenhelen7
5% products discount

Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:05 am      Reply with quote
Agent OO-CAT wrote:
Canadian Girl, Boots has a lot of wonderful things. Browse!!! I like their Botanics range a lot and also the Simple range. I also like the bubble bath from Boots. I find that there is a wider selection for a good price - you may not wish to lug around bubble bath though! Wink Neal's Yard and Culpepper are lovely, albeit expensive holistic/organic-type of shops. Selfridges, Harvey Nicholls, Harrods are a lot of fun - make-up and otherwise. I like Marks and Spencer for clothes. You may have to forage but often find good stuff. I like British Home Stores (BHS) for clothes too and Debenhams is good for shoes/clothes etc. The shops on Oxford Street are a fun way to spend an afternoon. I love a shop called "Monsoon" for clothes and a linked store called "Accessorize" for accessories by color. The Knickerbox is cool, as is The Sock shop. These are also easy to find high-street shops that you'll find both in Manchester and London. Manchester has changed a lot and you'll find it quite gentrified, especially by the river. Go to soccer if you're into it.

The supermarkets (Sainsbury's and Tesco's among others) are also great. They even carry their own line of beauty products and some of the stuff is good.
Marmite is yeast extract and an acquired taste. I doubt you'd enjoy it if you aren't used to it.
Chocolate cookies such as Bourbons and Hob-nobs are great. I also like Shortbread and simple "tea biscuits" - plain ones. I can't remember the brand though. Teas - Tetley's or Ahmad Tea (for fancy). Custard powder? Might also be acquired taste, like gravy granules called Bisto.

Have a fantastic time...and remember to pack an umbrella!

OOHH Agent OO-CAT....Now I am homesick - Boots and Monsoon.....that's how I used to spend my lunch hours .....sigh!
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:48 am      Reply with quote
I know.....

I thought of a couple more things:

Portobello Road Market for foraging.....and if you're going to have Fish and Chips, you might just as well have a DEEP FRIED MARS BAR afterwards! I think that everyone should try it at least once! Wink
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:55 am      Reply with quote
i love the pout line of makeup from the UK; I am sure you will encounter it while you are there. They have lovely colors and very nice formulations. I love their lip plumping glosses, and their eyeshadow duos are excellent.

http://www.pout.co.uk/products.asp

have fun!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:07 am      Reply with quote
Agent OO-CAT wrote:
I know.....

I thought of a couple more things:

Portobello Road Market for foraging.....and if you're going to have Fish and Chips, you might just as well have a DEEP FRIED MARS BAR afterwards! I think that everyone should try it at least once! Wink

I love Portobello, too. But where on earth did you find a deep fried mars bar???? I've never encountered one!
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:09 am      Reply with quote
You can find it at Fish and Chips shop. They batter the Mars bar in the same batter as the fish and fry it. What can I say, it's an acquired taste.....
Jenhelen7
5% products discount

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:28 am      Reply with quote
No kidding I feel I should be going to the gym right now just because I read a post about a deep fried mars bar......
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:58 am      Reply with quote
Ah, you need to visit Scotland to get the completely authentic deep fried Mars Bar experience. Make sure you get a deep-fried pizza too - truly unique......
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:13 pm      Reply with quote
fifi wrote:
Ah, you need to visit Scotland to get the completely authentic deep fried Mars Bar experience. Make sure you get a deep-fried pizza too - truly unique......

Yes, I asked and found out it's a Scots thing.

Sounds delicious Confused

I doubt you'd find it in London?
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:26 pm      Reply with quote
sure, you can find it in London. Also in Manchester. Perhaps not in "touristy places". I can also give references for the Oxford area.... Haven't tried the pizza though....
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
Agent OO-CAT wrote:
sure, you can find it in London. Also in Manchester. Perhaps not in "touristy places". I can also give references for the Oxford area.... Haven't tried the pizza though....

ha ha, that's so funny! where did you find it in London?

( not that I'm likely to track it down, but I'd love to know, it's a weird London 'fact' that I never ever heard before. )
Canadian Girl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:16 pm      Reply with quote
rosebud wrote:
I*Now if you have blown the budget go into Primark/TKMAX, a large clothes shop that sells high street clothing at ridiculously low prices....£2 a top and £5 a coat, you can come away with a whole new wardrobe for under £50!!
TK MAX is downstairs and sells reduced price designer labels.

OK I definately have to check this place out, do you have an address for this place???

I can't wait to eat the fish and chips as well!

Oh so many places to go and things to try (deep fried mars bars! I gotta try this just to say that I have when I come back home!)

You guys are great, I wish I was staying there longer Sad
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:33 pm      Reply with quote
catski wrote:

ha ha, that's so funny! where did you find it in London?

( not that I'm likely to track it down, but I'd love to know, it's a weird London 'fact' that I never ever heard before. )

Ooohhh, admit it catski, you're dying to try one! You can probably find it in most chippies in the suburbs. I've had one in Richmond.

If you want to go to Oxford for one, go to the Cowley Road or to Iffley Village.

I haven't had one in Manchester but I'd eat a regular Mars bar if you can't find it there. I've seen them in Chester too - which isn't that far!

For a "real" experience, have your fish and chips with mushy peas and mayo on top, followed by the Mars bar!!!! Laughing
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:37 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |