Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Need to boost energy
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:01 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, I'm sure many people can relate to the lack of energy. I'm a full-time student and I also work part-time. Lately, I am very tierd all the time, no matter if I get 4 or 7 hours of sleep. Usually I need 8-9 hours of sleep to function and to feel good. I'm so stressed about my exams and everything else that I have a problem to sleep and even if I get enough sleep I'm tierd. I drink a lot of coffee (I have a coffee machine at home and make a very strong coffee in the mornings). During a day I try not to drink coffee for it gives a boost first and brings my energy level down later. I take Vitamine B complex 100, Vitamine C, regular Centrum Vitamins, sometimes Zinc. I also drink a lot of water with lemon and sugar (seems to help for a short time to boost energy).
Does anyone knows any healthy energy drinks or remedies. I'm allergic to honey, and that eliminates many energy drinks that in the market for me.
Thanks
Lara

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:05 pm      Reply with quote
Make sure that you drink enough water.
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:58 pm      Reply with quote
You've got a busy schedule. Are you eating regularly? And nutritiously? If your diet is at all lacking, you may want to try adding a protein drink or bar.

Are you really not able to sleep more? Is there anything that you could give up to allow you to sleep longer? I'm like you, I need 8 hours and if I get less than that for too long, there isn't anything that will give me more energy. Feeling a lot of stress could also be due to a sleep deficiency.... it's a vicious cycle. Sad
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:27 pm      Reply with quote
I'm in the same boat, full-time student, work part-time. I try to sneak naps in the afternoon, but whenever I have a full day and can't nap, I'm dead by early evening. I tried coffee and Red Bull but they had no effect on me. Neutral Recently i've been hitting the gym first thing in the morning for 30 mins everyday just to do cardio. I know i know, extra activity that might make me even more tired. It's brutal the first week or two, but if you keep at it, you'll find that your energy levels stay high because of the increased stamina, and you won't get tired so easily anymore. Does wonders to make the mind more alert too, which is a bonus for students like us. Wink
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:58 pm      Reply with quote
I'd actually suggest cutting OUT coffee and caffeine. I just recently, as part of my resolution...kicked out coffee after having a cup or two a day for the past 10 years.

Headache killed me for four days...but MAN my energy is way up. I drink decaf green tea and I'm loving how I feel.

I can get up and not be super sleepy anymore...I used to be a zombie before my first cup of tea, now I pop right out of bed...seems counterintuitive but it totally worked for me!

ETA: I'm a graduate student...so I know how important high energy is! I'm writing my thesis right now!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:11 am      Reply with quote
I agree with Paris, ultimately coffee can make you tired. stimulants create dips, when what you need is steady energy.

so eat slow release foods that even out blood sugar, like oatmeal for breakfast and tuna and baked potatoe for lunch.

when I want to feel instantly vivified I make a fresh juice with lime, ginger, apple, beet, and carrot. it has a natural zing which makes me feel great.

days when I'm overloaded I make juice am and pm too.
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:01 am      Reply with quote
Getting enough water in the diet, enough sleep, stress vitamin B complex supplement and eating more protein have helped me when I was in a similar situation.

I hope you feel better soon.
Bunny7475
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:06 am      Reply with quote
I second B vitamins. I absolutely love Emergen-C. It has 1000mg C and a LOT of B vitamins. I don't know if it gives me more "energy" per se, but I can tell a difference when I don't take it. They carry it at most health food stores - it's a little packet of powder you mix with water.
fishzebby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:14 pm      Reply with quote
always bring snacks like chocolate or drink smoothie.... I think too much carbohydrate can make you sleepy in general
lotus003
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:26 pm      Reply with quote
America ginseng tea Idea
Sidda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
Cut out the sugar with your lemon water. You might as well be drinking lemonade (that IS the recipe for lemonade) -- and it plays havoc with your insulin/glycemic index.

Yerbe Mate tea. A godsend. At first it tastes like grass, then you'll begin to crave it. I drink a liter throughout the day. It raises your metabolism and gives you a steady higher level of energy. Not SPIKES. Available at health food stores, Trader Joe's, vitacost.com. . . I make pitchers at a time, with five bags at once.

More fruit. Natural sugars will keep you going more evenly than processed sugar.

Try not to worry. I can "hear" the stress in your posting. You're draining yourself of energy, with the frantic thoughts you're entertaining. Shoo. Shoo.

Breathe. Breathe. Breathe. You can only do what you can do. Accept your feelings, know your purpose, and do what needs to be done.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:56 pm      Reply with quote
Yerba tastes like dirt to me! I second the B complex, also green tea or green tea extract works for me.
angelina
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
I was told by a naturopath to try Rhodiola for energy. http://www.anti-aging-guide.com/RhodiolaRosea.html

You may want to try it out.
Sidda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:53 pm      Reply with quote
>>Yerba tastes like dirt to me

Bad Grin

Yes, I've tasted some that was not real appetizing. But I think we all know there can be vast differences in teas, depending on the source and manufacturer. Don't lump them together. Teas and coffees -- annd colas -- and skincare -- can all be very different, within the same "flavor."

I drink Trader Joe's Yerbe Mate daily, and have turned dozens of people onto it. It's a minor miracle -- and very easy to drink.

To the OP : CordyMax, a mushroom, delivers substantial energy, too. Pricey, though.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
Lara1 wrote:
Hi, I'm sure many people can relate to the lack of energy. I'm a full-time student and I also work part-time. Lately, I am very tierd all the time, no matter if I get 4 or 7 hours of sleep. Usually I need 8-9 hours of sleep to function and to feel good. I'm so stressed about my exams and everything else that I have a problem to sleep and even if I get enough sleep I'm tierd. I drink a lot of coffee (I have a coffee machine at home and make a very strong coffee in the mornings). Thanks
Lara

Ah, I remember it well. Everything you eat is easy to make or buy and pretty much "on the go", right? Sweetie, were I to hazard a guess, I'd say you're not getting enough protein. Unless it's a protein bar or shake, protein usually takes time and prep. Try to get protein in your diet somehow somewhere.

Ari

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
Green tea has some caffeine in it, but not as bad as coffee. I love green tea, I don't feel as sluggish. Btw, have you had your iron levels checked?
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:03 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you everyone for the answers Smile ! I got a cold and I'm sick right now. Tried to avoid taking antibiotics...but my cold developed into bronchitis...so here goes my healthy life style and boost of energy. Since I moved to Canada I'm getting sick more frequently Sad and I can't avoid antibiotics. We all know that this medication is not good for immune system. One of the good things to do when you take antibiotics is to drink a lot of kefir (that is how they call it in my country), it is something like a yogurt and more liquid than regular yougurt. I can make it at home with the help of "kefir mashroom", you just put it in the milk (500 ml.)for a night and in the morning you have a kefir. It could be also use as a mask for a face and body. Some people even use it on sunbirned skin.
It is interesting that most of people I know in Canada never heard about kefir.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:15 pm      Reply with quote
Arielle wrote:

Ah, I remember it well. Everything you eat is easy to make or buy and pretty much "on the go", right? Sweetie, were I to hazard a guess, I'd say you're not getting enough protein. Unless it's a protein bar or shake, protein usually takes time and prep. Try to get protein in your diet somehow somewhere.

Ari

I usually eat chicken or a fish for a protein, but I try to avoid those protein bars and bread ( I don't want to gain weight)...yes, I know in moderation they are harmless, but if I eat them, I will have to run another half an hour at the gym Laughing .

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:14 am      Reply with quote
Hi Lara.

Sorry to hear you have the 'flu. Horrible thing to have.
Luckily I have Polish friends who advise to me to drink lots of chilli and lemon vodka in hot water when I have 'flu.
That's one way of dealing with it.. Embarassed

But lots of Vit C and Zinc is perhaps more sensible.

Anyway! I have just started making kefir, so if you have any tips/ recipes, I'd love to hear them. I havent used it on my skin yet.

I've been making mango lassi with it for having with curry, which is wonderful.

Lara, have you thought about going for a few acupuncture treatments to boost and balance your energy levels... it works for me.

Wish you better.
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:28 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
[quote="catski"]Hi Lara.

Sorry to hear you have the 'flu. Horrible thing to have.
Luckily I have Polish friends who advise to me to drink lots of chilli and lemon vodka in hot water when I have 'flu.
That's one way of dealing with it.. Embarassed

Hi Catski. Thanks for your support!
I heard something like that about vodka in hot water. Another way, you can heat red wine and drink it before you go to bed. That really helps!

Quote:
Anyway! I have just started making kefir, so if you have any tips/ recipes, I'd love to hear them. I havent used it on my skin yet.

I've been making mango lassi with it for having with curry, which is wonderful.

Lara, have you thought about going for a few acupuncture treatments to boost and balance your energy levels... it works for me.

Wish you better.

Do you make it with the kefir(milk) mashroom?
I usually drink it without adding anything. My mother knows many recipies with kefir, I will ask for you and post it next time.
I tried acupuncture for my allergies, but didn't get any results...may be for energy it will work.
Lara

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:06 pm      Reply with quote
A 20 minute mini nap in the afternoon is a wonderful pick me up. The secret is not to go to bed and not to nap for longer than 20 minutes. More than that and you begin to fall into a deeper sleep and it can make you groggy. Find a comfy chair or lounge, throw a light cover over yourself and doze.

Definitely agree with people who are saying cut the caffeine. I gave up tea/coffee 6 months ago and notice that I get to sleep faster and wake up easier. If you have heavy periods definitely get your iron levels checked.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:16 am      Reply with quote
Hi Lara, yes I have a live kefir culture, It's a funny thing, sort of like an opaque very white soggy piece of cauliflower.

I make it with goats milk, or almond milk, or rice dream. As I'm typing this I have some on my face! I mixed it with a couple of aspirin - so we shall see how it goes.

Allergies are notoriously difficult to deal with, arent they. What are you allergic to?

I'm allergic to animals, which is a pain. Especially since I have a cat!

But yes, acupuncture helped boost my 'chi' a lot.

It could be the allergies are making you tired? How do you handle them?

I read allergy people are often chronically vit c deficient, so I have really upped my vit c intake.
kitty143
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:12 pm      Reply with quote
I seconf Rhodiola, it realy worked for me.
Jeannine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:13 pm      Reply with quote
Vitamin B is awesome for energy/stress, but a lot of people don't absorb the supplements fully. You can tell if this is the case for you by your urine. If your urine changes color/smell right after taking the supplement, than you're just passing it and not absorbing it. Try taking sublingual Vit B. (Trader Joe's has a good sublingual Vit B.)

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:06 am      Reply with quote
If you are suffering from stress, due to your exams, it is so difficult. You will feel like a new woman when you've got them out of the way

Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:07 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |