Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Review: Best Bath Store Moisture Rich Shampoo :)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:07 am      Reply with quote
I this shampoo! I have been searching for a great, all-natural shampoo and finally found one. It does not contain any chemicals (especially SLS), is gentle, moisturizing and lightweight. It smells yummy too- sort of like Wrigley’s Spearmint gum (yet it does not contain any mint) with a fresh herbally twist. It foams moderately (a lot more than I expected) and cleanses my oily hair well (I wash my hair every other day). I have been using it for a couple of weeks now and will be ordering a full size bottle.

Product details:
Ingredients: Purified Water, Organic Aloe Vera, Olive Oil, Organic Coconut Oil, Avocado Oil, Shea Butter, African Black Soap, Glycerin, Alkyl Esters, Olive Esters, Silk Protein, Extracts of Nettle & Horsetail, Lavender, Sage, Yarrow, Vitamin E, Lavender, Sage & Rosemary Essential Oils.
16oz $14.95 (samples also available) @www.bestbathstore.com

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:05 am      Reply with quote
What actually does the cleansing in this shampoo? Is it the African Black Soap?

As for whether this contains chemicals or not, I am no expert but alkyl esters/olive esters would IMO be a chemical ingredient. You could probably rewrite the label and call these by their chemical names!
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:51 am      Reply with quote
Amnis, thanks for this review! I had been eyeing this stuff--- looks like I need to get my hands on a sample.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:07 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaL wrote:

As for whether this contains chemicals or not, I am no expert but alkyl esters/olive esters would IMO be a chemical ingredient. You could probably rewrite the label and call these by their chemical names!

I don't know the exact formulation of BBS's African Black Soap but to my knowledge, authentic African Black soap is usually made by combining roasted plantain skins and palm kernal oil. ABS is known to be a gentle cleanser that helps to aleviate skin conditions such as acne, eczema and psoriasis. It is also nourishes and can be used on the skin and hair. Apparently it's very safe and can be very pure.

TheresaL wrote:
You could probably rewrite the label and call these by their chemical names!

What would these chemical names be?

I guess when I said "it does not contain any chemicals" I was referring to ingredients found in MANY shampoos (claiming to be "all natural" might I add) such as sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate, ammonium lauryl sulfate, behenamidopropyl dimethylamine lactate, butyl paraben, cetyl alcohol, cocamide MEA, cocamidopropyl betaine, cocamidopropyl hydroxysultaine, hydrolyzed protein, lauramide DEA, methyl glucose dioleate, myristamine oxide, octyl methoxycinnamate, olefin sulfonate, polysorbate 20/60, sodium cocosulfate, sodium hydroxymethyl glycinate, soyamidopropalkonium, stearalkonium chloride, TEA (triethanolamine) lauryl sulfate, sodium myristoyl sarcosinate, decyl glucoside, glyceryl cocoate, etc, etc, etc

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaL wrote:

Maybe you can PM Justin (ID name bestbathstore) and get his response on this?
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:21 pm      Reply with quote
I sent Justin a PM asking about what does the cleansing and also asking what specific alkyl/olive esters are used.

amnis can you compare the lather to anything else? Is it like soap lather or maybe another shampoo?
bestbathstore
5% products discount

Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:01 pm      Reply with quote
African Black Soap and the Glycerin provide the cleansing and the rich lather. no it may not lather as much as other chemical-filled shampoos but it does give a good lather and cleans wonderfully.

Why would you say our product contains chemicals? We do not do any sythetic processing of any sort whatsoever. None, period. All of our ingredients are naturally derived from nature.

Alkyl esters are derived from grapeseet and apricot oils, by high speed spinning, heating, and condensing. Olive esters are formed the same way but from olive oil. This is known as stream extraction. Some compaines use alcohol to extract but we do not.

We truly care about our customers and the environment and it will show in every product we produce and sell!

Any more questions, please let me know!

- Justin Gomolka, CEO - Best Bath Store, LLC
my sushi secret
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
bestbathstore wrote:
Why would you say our product contains chemicals?

I think she was asking a question more than anything else, if you read more of Theresa's posts, you'll see she's quite ingredient saavy and very thorough in learning about products.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:32 pm      Reply with quote
bestbathstore wrote:
African Black Soap and the Glycerin provide the cleansing and the rich lather. no it may not lather as much as other chemical-filled shampoos but it does give a good lather and cleans wonderfully.

Why would you say our product contains chemicals? We do not do any sythetic processing of any sort whatsoever. None, period. All of our ingredients are naturally derived from nature.

Alkyl esters are derived from grapeseet and apricot oils, by high speed spinning, heating, and condensing. Olive esters are formed the same way but from olive oil. This is known as stream extraction. Some compaines use alcohol to extract but we do not.

We truly care about our customers and the environment and it will show in every product we produce and sell!

Any more questions, please let me know!

- Justin Gomolka, CEO - Best Bath Store, LLC

Justin, I think your shampoo is great. The leave-in conditioner/mask wouldn't work for me. I'm not sure if I was doing it wrong or not. It was so thick I had to keep putting more on to reach all parts of my hair. Then I had a hard time rinsing it off. I had to wash it off 2 times. Is this normal? It did not cure my dry end issue, but that could be because my ends are too dead to be cured.
bestbathstore
5% products discount

Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:57 pm      Reply with quote
Cherisse, the leave in conditioner is not for everyone. It is VERY thick. The best way to use it is by washing the hair at night and with the hair still as wet as possible apply a very small amount by rubbing it in your fingers first and then your hair making sure to get the tips well. Your hair will dry a little sticky. Put a pillowcloth on that you expect to change the next day or put a towel down as your hair wil be sticky! The next morning you will need to wash out the conditioner but your hair will be very shiny and without any split ends. Not everyone loves it though as it's a pain to put on. Some people with more coarse hair use it to help them straighten the hair which it works great for.

Regarding:

authentic African Black soap is usually made by combining roasted plantain skins and palm kernal oil. ABS is known to be a gentle cleanser that helps to aleviate skin conditions such as acne, eczema and psoriasis. It is also nourishes and can be used on the skin and hair. Apparently it's very safe and can be very pure

Yes, that is correct and daily use of our shampoo will keep your scalp free from breakouts which is great in the winter when scalps tend to dry out, causing the body to produce more natural oils.
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:38 am      Reply with quote
TheresaL wrote:
amnis can you compare the lather to anything else? Is it like soap lather or maybe another shampoo?

It's not at all like a soap lather, at least IMO. I would say it foams similarly to Aubrey Organics shampoo or Alba's Hawaiian shampoo or Giovanni's 50/50 balanced shampoo. It's the type that may require a second lathering for some people.

bestbathstore wrote:

This is great to know! Very Happy I was wondering how they were derived. I am learning that many companies producing "all natural" products still use ingredients, which they may list as "derived from [insert plant name here]", which are not naturally derived (as in, petrochemically derived or obtained through some other chemical derivation process.) It seems that a common school of thought in the organic, all natural world is that if an ingredient is not naturally derived then it is actually a synthetic ingredient.

jacque
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:57 am      Reply with quote
thanks for sharing! will try it out!
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:46 am      Reply with quote
Justin-Thank You for answering my questions about what the cleansing agents in this shampoo are and for explaining how the esters are made! I find the black soap intriguing!

As for why I would call an ester a chemical. I call it a chemical because to the best of my knowledge it is formed by a chemical reaction. Is there a way to form these without a chemical reaction? I don't think so but I may be wrong on this. Or perhaps not everyone considers a product formed by a chemical reaction to be a chemical. Persoanlly I don't care if it is a chemical or not and the presence of esters certainly wouldn't stop me from using this product!

amnis-this shampoo sounds very gentle. I actually like the fact that it doesn't lather alot and that it might require a second latering. I am used to a very low later shampoo and find that this works best for my colored hair.

If anyone that colors their hair tries this please let me know if it helps retain your color.
bestbathstore
5% products discount

Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:19 am      Reply with quote
TheresaL, my wife colors her hair (with Naturtint natural hair coloring) and her hair stays colored perfectly untill the roots start to show. There is no fading.

Any other questions, please feel free to ask!

- Justin
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:01 am      Reply with quote
I really want to try how this shampoo.. Perhaps after my current shampoo runs out I will order this. How come they don't have a hair conditioner? Sad
bestbathstore
5% products discount

Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:08 pm      Reply with quote
poohlisey, currently we have only a leave-in conditioner but we're working on a normal rinse out conditioner. It's tough to make one that is natural and works well and we won't settle for anything than what we feel is the best for Best Bath Store. I'll keep you updated.

- Justin
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Justin! Can't wait to here the news! I'm going to bribe my DH to let me order some samples... I've been spending too much money lately and we're kind of living on a tight budget. Crying or Very sad So every little thing counts. Really looking forward to try out your shampoo and acne serum though! Smile
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
poohlisey wrote:
Thanks Justin! Can't wait to here the news! I'm going to bribe my DH to let me order some samples... I've been spending too much money lately and we're kind of living on a tight budget. Crying or Very sad So every little thing counts. Really looking forward to try out your shampoo and acne serum though! Smile

Try it! Try it! I really love BBS several products. You will love them, too, I am sure.
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:23 pm      Reply with quote
Cherisse wrote:
poohlisey wrote:

Try it! Try it! I really love BBS several products. You will love them, too, I am sure.

Very tempting! Very Happy I will order some samples in a bit! My DH said yes. LOL Razz Can't wait to get the samples then. Surprised
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
poohlisey wrote:
Cherisse wrote:
poohlisey wrote:

Very tempting! Very Happy I will order some samples in a bit! My DH said yes. LOL Razz Can't wait to get the samples then. Surprised

Woohoo! Good for you. I'm sure you'll love it. You gotta try the eye cream. I got two friends to order it, too.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:55 pm      Reply with quote
bestbathstore wrote:
poohlisey, currently we have only a leave-in conditioner but we're working on a normal rinse out conditioner. It's tough to make one that is natural and works well and we won't settle for anything than what we feel is the best for Best Bath Store. I'll keep you updated.

- Justin

Glad to hear this, Justin. Please do keep us (esp me) posted.
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:59 am      Reply with quote
I tried this out today. For me it DOES NOT lather, I had to put in more for it to lather. I think Evening Primrose gives me better lather. This shampoo IS really nice though, it left my hair soft and untangled and perhaps I could even go without conditioner!

However I HATE THE smell, I just can't get pass that soapy smell gone wrong scent. It's really a lovely shampoo but I can't agree that it lathers like Alba's as Alba lathers like regular chemical shampoo which is about 10x MORE than the lather in the BBS which is almost non-existent. I also with the BBS had more body, it seemed rather watery so I wasn't sure how much I needed to put in so I just use my usual amount of any shampoo - but I think I need to use more (perhaps that's why I got no lather?)

For shampoo purposes I'd rather this up high as the Evening Primrose because of the way it leaves my hair and how inexpensive this is but I will not be ordering as I just can't stand the smell and it's still there even after I conditioned with my JMO conditioner. But if you can stand the smell I'd still highly recommend this shampoo.
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
sormuimui wrote:
I tried this out today. For me it DOES NOT lather, I had to put in more for it to lather. I think Evening Primrose gives me better lather. This shampoo IS really nice though, it left my hair soft and untangled and perhaps I could even go without conditioner!

However I HATE THE smell, I just can't get pass that soapy smell gone wrong scent. It's really a lovely shampoo but I can't agree that it lathers like Alba's as Alba lathers like regular chemical shampoo which is about 10x MORE than the lather in the BBS which is almost non-existent. I also with the BBS had more body, it seemed rather watery so I wasn't sure how much I needed to put in so I just use my usual amount of any shampoo - but I think I need to use more (perhaps that's why I got no lather?)

For shampoo purposes I'd rather this up high as the Evening Primrose because of the way it leaves my hair and how inexpensive this is but I will not be ordering as I just can't stand the smell and it's still there even after I conditioned with my JMO conditioner. But if you can stand the smell I'd still highly recommend this shampoo.

Really? You don't like the smell? I LOVE it... How would you describe the smell?

That's too bad that you liked how well it worked but didn't like the scent... I've been there before with a really great shampoo (and conditioner) but couldn't use it b/c the scent drove me nuts! So I understand where you are coming from.

I also am surprised to hear that it didn't lather for you. Confused Good that you got to try a sample first, eh?

bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:23 pm      Reply with quote
amnis wrote:
sormuimui wrote:

Really? You don't like the smell? I LOVE it... How would you describe the smell?

That's too bad that you liked how well it worked but didn't like the scent... I've been there before with a really great shampoo (and conditioner) but couldn't use it b/c the scent drove me nuts! So I understand where you are coming from.

I also am surprised to hear that it didn't lather for you. Confused Good that you got to try a sample first, eh?

Amazing how our noses can be different. I didn't notice anything wrong with the smell either. If I didn't find my TJ's shampoo for $2.49, I would definitely buy the BBS shampoo. The only problem I have with it is that it doesn't come with a rinse-out conditioner I can use, while my TJ's shampoo does have the accompanying conditioner.
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
I love the smell of this shampoo.. And it's not supposed to lather really because it's really natural, but it does lather. Will purchase this again and rinse-out conditioner when it's out.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:55 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |