Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
What American Accent Do You Have?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:30 am      Reply with quote
http://www.gotoquiz.com/what_american_accent_do_you_have

This short quiz determined the state I was from...even the area. Shock I was raised in NJ. Lived there until I married at 21. Since that time (41 years) I have lived in Massachusetts. Anyone who knows New England can point out that accent.

After taking the quiz it determined that I was from North Jersey. I got quite a laugh out of that as after 41 years strangers still ask: "are you from NY or NJ." North Jersey accents sounds different than NY or other parts of Jersey. How the quiz figured that out is beyond me. hmm

Some people get Midland results which mean no accent.

So US members if you don't think you have an accent try this. Have fun.
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:50 am      Reply with quote
I took it for laughs...look, I'm Canadian. Apparently, I'm midland & have a good voice for TV or radio. Very Happy They should have one for Canadians. You haven't lived till you heard Greek with a Cape Breton accent!
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:51 am      Reply with quote
I have a Midland accent which is no accent. The quiz lists Pennsylvania as a Midland state and that is where I am from! It also claims that the Midland accent is a good voice for TV and radio which is interesting because I would always tell others that I had no accent because I sounded like everyone on the television or the radio......
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:51 am      Reply with quote
OK, well, I may be Australian, but I could not resist taking the test and yup, I am with you Winnie!

Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak

Laughing wonder if that is influence from hubby who still retains some of his NY accent (well, after living and studying there for 8 years there you can see how it would stick)

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:58 am      Reply with quote
Ok - it nailed me. Said I was from Chicago (Shi-caw-go) Illinois (and you don't pronounce the S!) Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:07 am      Reply with quote
The South, it was spot on... Anxious

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:16 am      Reply with quote
Oh my god...this is way weird!

Quote:
"North Central" is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot.

I slip in and out of it...and I did see Fargo. I caught a little bit of an accent, but not much. That's when my friends laughed at me.

Fun quiz, eh? Laughing

No...not from Minnesota...from Northern Lower Peninsula in Michigan...but my dad has the accent. I blame him. Smile

ETA: and all carbonated drinks ARE pop! Smile
I took an anthro class...and actually the people that don't have accents are on the West coast of the U.S. It goes from most diverse on the East side of the US and slowly gets more homogenous as you travel westward. My Anthro prof. wrote our textbook and put in a paragraph about how Michiganders have accents, with words like "ruther" instead of "rather".

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:54 am      Reply with quote
I loved the quiz. It nailed me. It said I had a Midland accent but could be from Florida. I was born in Ohio but grew up in Miami, FL. It also said I had a good voice for TV / Radio. Surprised I guess I missed my calling by being a CPA.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:00 am      Reply with quote
This is what it said about me:

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

Yeah, it's right. Laughing
Sundew
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:09 am      Reply with quote
LOL I grew up in the West an'd the moved to the South around 12.
I'm Inland North "You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."
They are close...I do say soda pop Smile I was a hostess at one point and this man was adamant that I had an Eastern European accent?
They need a Mutt Mouth category Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:16 am      Reply with quote
Haha, fun quiz! I got the Midland, aka, no accent. It's funny because it lists Southern Indiana (where I grew up) as a Midland state, but my goodness people have strong accents in Southern Indiana!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:29 am      Reply with quote
Wow, I'm from Delaware originally, and went to college in Virginia...with all my father's relatives coming from Virginia or North Carolina. The quiz got me right on! It has me listed as midland with traits from:

Philadelphia
Inland North
The South
The Northeast

in that order. I grew up 33 miles south of Philly, in the Inland North (well, Northeast) and went to school in the South.

Good quiz!

John

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:01 am      Reply with quote
That was fun! It said mine was Philadelphia. I live in the South, was born in the Midwest, and was raised in Florida, so that would probably account for why mine is weird.
Ruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:02 am      Reply with quote
tiger_tim wrote:
OK, well, I may be Australian, but I could not resist taking the test and yup, I am with you Winnie!

Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak

Laughing wonder if that is influence from hubby who still retains some of his NY accent (well, after living and studying there for 8 years there you can see how it would stick)

it says the same about me...and I'm born in Sweden, brought up speaking "the Queens English" and now live in Denmark... today you can definitly hear a scandinavian lilt to my pronounciation - and my spelling is pretty awful...

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
marla
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:09 am      Reply with quote
I (very accurately) tested as The West (no accent).

I was born and raised and still live in Southern California.

Fun quiz!
Marla

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:34 am      Reply with quote
"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

ahaha! very accurate!

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:50 am      Reply with quote
Wow, that's amazing-dead on. How it got Chicago from 13 questions.......Wow! Shock
Robin
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:43 am      Reply with quote
Hmmm, it didn't get me right Sad But then again, I have never thought that I have much of an accent. It said Midland. I am from S. Louisiana and have lived in Dallas for the last 7 years. It also said that the South was a close second...so I guess it wasn't that far off.

Liz

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:45 am      Reply with quote
violetanne wrote:
This is what it said about me:

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

That's exactly what it said about me. Honey chile, I was "born and reared" in the South. Confused I had a "neutral" accent as my mother had until I lived in Memphis for 10 years. Then, I lived in Iowa for 7 years. Now, living in Texas, I have a Southern twang. I tend to pick up the accent of the region I currently live in. I have always, however, pronounced every one of those words correctly.

Ari

p.s. I don't use "soda" or "pop". I always call the beverage by its flavor or brand name; ie. Coke, Pepsi, Root Beer.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:51 am      Reply with quote
My husband does the same thing...he just picks up accents from where ever he lives. He is from Mexico City and moved to the states when he was 18 (14 yrs ago) He went to school in S. Louisiana, lived in Tulsa for a few years and Dallas for the last 7. I tell him he has a mutt accent.

Liz

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:33 am      Reply with quote
Just call me Sugarplum! It's Southern.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
It got the Northeast right, but didn't get the state(s). (I grew up about a mile from the border between 2 states.)
my sushi secret
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:37 pm      Reply with quote
I think going to school in the south destroyed my Chicago accent....when I went to California everyone thought I was from the valley.

Candy8865 wrote:
Ok - it nailed me. Said I was from Chicago (Shi-caw-go) Illinois (and you don't pronounce the S!) Laughing

I bet you have a really strong south side accent! Laughing
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:08 pm      Reply with quote
O M G! That was fun and dead on! Born and raised and lived all my life in Southern California - close to the beach! When I was in my teens, I was accused of sounding like a "valley girl" or a "surfer chick." People have sometimes asked me where I'm from because of my "accent" - my Pa is from the South (Tennessee - that's why he's my 'Pa') and my Mom is from Pennsylvania and I guess I picked up some of their pronounciations. I can slip into a Southern drawl in 1 second flat, though!

Hmmmm, should I be insulted as to the "lowest common denominator" reference?

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The West

Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:10 pm      Reply with quote
On a side note, by best friend's boyfriend still has his English accent. He's lived in So. Cal. for 20 years and still sounds like a bloke at the pub after a Liverpool football game! He says he "can't get laid without the British accent"!!! Shock
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:16 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |