Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)
What about hand soap?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:09 am      Reply with quote
This winter I am faced with terrible skin on my hands. They are dry to begin with, but they get rashy in the winter, plus the extra washing because of cold season doesn't help either. I'm also a heavy user of hand sanitizer which doesn't help things at all. My hands are itchy, red, and irritated no matter what sort of hand cream I use. So I suppose my dilemma is being a germ freak with sensitive skin on my hands!

My question is, what do you wash your hands with? I'd like something that's gentle but that kills germs too... I was thinking of buying some Aveeno body wash and using that as hand wash.

Last night when I went to bed I slathered my hands in vaseline then put socks on them. They are a bit less red this morning, but still itchy...
Sundew
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:26 am      Reply with quote
I received some Bath & Body Works Anti-Bacterial
Moisturizing Hand Soap as a stocking stuffer and I really like it. It has a creamy consistancy but foams up a little bit.
I honestly try to avoid anti-bacterial soap or gels because supposedly if you wash your hands properly you really don't need them. But since this soap isn't drying my hands out I'll use it until it is gone Smile.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:31 am      Reply with quote
Ive recently started using Dove handsoap, its so creamy and doesnt dry your hands out at all (I have extremely dry, cracked hands too). I also agree with Sundew, if you lather for at least a few mins and rinse really well you dont need anti-bac. Superbugs freak me out anyway!

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:51 am      Reply with quote
violetanne--- First of all, the same thing happened to my hands a little while back. First they were red and itchy, and then they actually started to crack open! Shock I used Bet Bath Store's unscented Shea lotion to get them back on track, so you may want to try a sample of it.

In the meantime, as far as handwash goes, one of the milder ones I've found is Kiss My Face's Lavender Chamomile self-foaming handwash. It contains glycerin which leaves my hands feeling nice. Also recently I put some of my Baby Bee Shampoo and Wash into a pump and have been using it as hand soap. It's very gentle and smells soooo good. HTH!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:51 am      Reply with quote
I am going to be following this thread closely! Last week I started using Caudalie soap in place of my Dove Sensitive Skin soap and my hands which are always bad are a mess right now. I actually have dermatitis!! I only used the Caudalie for a day and swithced back to Dove but my hands are still red and cracked. I am going to check out some soaps today. I wonder if the Cetaphil or Basis ones would be better than Dove?

vonstella-I will take a look at the Dove handsoap. Is it the one in a bottle?
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:55 am      Reply with quote
TheresaL wrote:
I am going to be following this thread closely! Last week I started using Caudalie soap in place of my Dove Sensitive Skin soap and my hands which are always bad are a mess right now. I actually have dermatitis!! I only used the Caudalie for a day and swithced back to Dove but my hands are still red and cracked. I am going to check out some soaps today. I wonder if the Cetaphil or Basis ones would be better than Dove?

OMG! Theresa, which Caudalie soap are you using? As you know I have sensitive skin too, so I would like to avoid whatever gave you that reaction...

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:01 am      Reply with quote
TheresaL wrote:

TheresaL--

Its the one in the little pump bottle, Deep moisture it whats its called, they just came out with it in the last few months. I have dermatitis on my hands too and this really soothes them, I have to wash them all the time with all the diapers (baby stuff, etc.) Im changing.

I use this along with Earth to Body lotion, Gold bond and plain Vaseline daily, this is the best my hands have looked/felt years.

Useing dish gloves while doing "wet work" has helped too.

I wasnt a fan of Cetaphil, it left a film, and Basis irritated my hands further.

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:17 am      Reply with quote
vonstella wrote:
Ive recently started using Dove handsoap, its so creamy and doesnt dry your hands out at all (I have extremely dry, cracked hands too). I also agree with Sundew, if you lather for at least a few mins and rinse really well you dont need anti-bac. Superbugs freak me out anyway!

I was eyeing this the other day, but was in a hurry so didn't stop to look. I think I will pick some up today. Thanks, vonstella!
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:21 am      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
OMG! Theresa, which Caudalie soap are you using? As you know I have sensitive skin too, so I would like to avoid whatever gave you that reaction...

Liz-it was the bar soap. I am not sure if it was an ingredient in the soap that caused the problem or if it happened because the soap is very drying or maybe both. DH even said that the soap was very drying!

vonstella-thanks for the info on Cetaphil and Basis. I think I will give the Dove Hand Soap a try! I do use gloves for any "wet work" and that does help alot. I am thinking of getting some cotton gloves and wearing them at night with Vaseline or Aquaphor.
RMB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:31 am      Reply with quote
I've been using Avene Cold Cream Cleanser as my body and hand wash. Just one tube in the shower and one next to the sink. This is a facial cleanser, but it's cheap and comes in a really big tube.

My body and hands haven't been dry at all. Plus, this contains triclosan.

One caveat: I don't like holding the tube with my dirty hands to squeeze product out, so I don't know if I'll continue to use this as a hand wash. But if you need a hand wash to get you over this hump, I'd recommend it.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:47 pm      Reply with quote
So I bought the Dove Deep Moisture hand wash last night. My hands, already, are much less irritated. They even feel smoother. I like how creamy the soap is-- it's not super sudsy but I still feel like my hands are getting clean.

I also did the vaseline and socks thing for a second night in a row and I think a couple more night and my hands will look presentable! Hopefully!
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using Cetaphil for oily skin cleanser and hand soap, shower gel and cleanser for my face in the evening.
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:50 pm      Reply with quote
violetanne wrote:
So I bought the Dove Deep Moisture hand wash last night. My hands, already, are much less irritated. They even feel smoother. I like how creamy the soap is-- it's not super sudsy but I still feel like my hands are getting clean.

I also did the vaseline and socks thing for a second night in a row and I think a couple more night and my hands will look presentable! Hopefully!

Im glad you like it, Im addicted but, DH keeps asking why we are using lotion to wash our hands! Rolling Eyes Laughing

sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:23 am      Reply with quote
Can you get L'Occitane hand wash soap there? It's got shea butter in, you can actually feel it moisturising your hands when you use it. I also swear by their hand cream, it's the thickest around and is great if you get really dry sore hands.
Mammamia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:26 am      Reply with quote
I love the hand soaps by L'Erbolario. They are gentle and smell fantastic. They are available at a couple of places in the US but I see that the prices are a lot more expensive there...

http://www.lerbolariousa.com/products.cfm?CFID=18740&CFTOKEN=13031532

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:39 am      Reply with quote
I swear by Dr. Bronner's liquid soaps. They're olive-oil based, so they don't dry out my skin.
autumn95
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:57 am      Reply with quote
vonstella wrote:

I agree with Vonestella on the Dove hand soap. Very mild and hands are not as dry. I don't believe in using anti-bac soaps all the time. I do use hand santizer in between washings (more so at work where bottles are all over the place.) I also try to put on hand cream/lotion after every washing.
praia98
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:07 am      Reply with quote
I love Dove's conditioner, and really love Leave-in Touch cream for hair so I'll check out their hand soap.
In the bathroom, I've used the Bath and Body Works anti-bacterial soaps,and at work or in the car I've used gel sanitizers, but I agree that handwashing is enough an try to stay away from the sanitizers due to the drying effects and superbug fears.
I also keep a bottle of hand lotion by the sinks to apply right after handwashing and it helps a lot.
In the meantime I second trying Aquaphor or throughout the day Olay renewal moisturizer, AHAVA mineral hand cream avilable here, or a natural formula for sensitive skin like California Baby's Calendula cream.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:13 am      Reply with quote
shanno wrote:
I swear by Dr. Bronner's liquid soaps. They're olive-oil based, so they don't dry out my skin.

I just discovered this yesterday! I bought a small bottle of the almond. I'm going to use it in the shower, but maybe I'll throw it next to the sink instead. I usually just use the dish soap to wash my hands. I don't have problems with dry cuticles anymore after using Jurlique Calendula on my hands.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:25 am      Reply with quote
I've heard about the Jurlique calendula on here, it seems from the reviews that it's heavier than the California Baby's, probably like the mini jar of Soy and Calendula cream I have from the Body Shop. That I've used on dry skin patches on my body, but for sensitive skin on my face and body, my absolute fave is Californai Baby's.
I've recommneded this cream to everybody with sensitive , dry, cracked skin. I had a yucky exczema/psoriasis patch right near my eye one winter and right near my mouth another and this stopped a new one that was starting this fall and has kept it away, with help from vitamins/ supplements.
My cousin who dyes ahir had done without gloves and ahd ruined her hands and this stuff saved it. Another cousin who does ahis and has kids, always washing her hands is now addicted to this cream. A frind with bad exczema on her hands is now getting better too. I luv this stuff! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:00 am      Reply with quote
I like the hand washes from Molton Brown - they leave my hands feeling very soft even if I forget to put lotion on afterwards (which I often do Embarassed).
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:16 pm      Reply with quote
Well girls in the interest of presenting the negative opinion here.....

The Dove Deep Moisture Hand Soap has made my hands worse! They are very dry and very red. I don't know if it is an ingredient causing the problem of if the detergents are the problem. I am wondering if this soap strips the skin then attempts to add moisture back with petrolatum? I have gone back to using Dove Sensitive Skin Bar soap.

I have tried the Molton Brown Hand Washes that fifi mentioned and they are drying and irritating for my skin.

Jurlique Calendula Cream does not work as a hand moisurizer for me. It leaves my hands feeling dry. It is great for my face but not my hands!

Now for the good-Aquaphor is very nice and totally non-irritating. It feels like petroleum jelly which isn't surprising since it is mostly petrolatum.

As you can see it is not only the skin on my face that is super sensitive!!
ablubo80
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:35 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaL wrote:

The Dove Deep Moisture Hand Soap has made my hands worse! They are very dry and very red. I don't know if it is an ingredient causing the problem of if the detergents are the problem. I am wondering if this soap strips the skin then attempts to add moisture back with petrolatum?

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I didn't even want to post my negative experience after everyone liked it so much. I got a sample of the Dove Triple Moisture in the mail. It was cute little pump bottle, I thought it would be great. Nope, within 1 day my hands were back to dry and bleeding. I picked up some Soft Soap with Shea Butter. My hands are much better. My DH likes it too. Alas, the Dove went in the trash.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:13 am      Reply with quote
kandaboersma wrote:
TheresaL wrote:

The Dove Deep Moisture Hand Soap has made my hands worse! They are very dry and very red. I don't know if it is an ingredient causing the problem of if the detergents are the problem. I am wondering if this soap strips the skin then attempts to add moisture back with petrolatum?

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I didn't even want to post my negative experience after everyone liked it so much. I got a sample of the Dove Triple Moisture in the mail. It was cute little pump bottle, I thought it would be great. Nope, within 1 day my hands were back to dry and bleeding. I picked up some Soft Soap with Shea Butter. My hands are much better. My DH likes it too. Alas, the Dove went in the trash.

Goes to show how different people's skin reacts-- the Jergens with shea? It was what I was using before,and what was contributing to my problem!
stellamaris
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaL wrote:
manslayerliz wrote:

Liz-it was the bar soap. I am not sure if it was an ingredient in the soap that caused the problem or if it happened because the soap is very drying or maybe both. DH even said that the soap was very drying!

I have found the Caudalie bar soap to be very drying as well. I received one as part of a gift and used it in the shower - immediately noticed how dry my skin was afterwards. I gave it a few more tries just to make sure it was the soap that was drying me out, sure enough it was the soap, dry dry dry. I binned it.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:33 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |