Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Hair stylist Tips?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
hattie
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:52 pm      Reply with quote
I see a stylist, he is the only one in the shop and is the owner. Rather pricey. How much should you tip?

Thanks!
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:01 pm      Reply with quote
I'm really confused about this too.

A long time ago, I read that you shouldn't tip the stylist if he/she is also the owner. Then a couple of years ago, I went to a stylist who owned the salon and I asked him. He told me that it was fine to tip the owner. I still have mixed feelings about that. Confused I hope that someone has the definitive answer.
jacque
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:02 am      Reply with quote
Embarassed I always give them 10 percentage, am I wrong?
nikkilici0us
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:28 am      Reply with quote
most of my clients do the regular 15%... you get the occassional 20 if they are in a good mood or like what you do that day! lol Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:56 am      Reply with quote
tam wrote:

A long time ago, I read that you shouldn't tip the stylist if he/she is also the owner. Then a couple of years ago, I went to a stylist who owned the salon and I asked him. He told me that it was fine to tip the owner. I still have mixed feelings about that. Confused I hope that someone has the definitive answer.

Yeah, I BET he said it was fine to tip the owner! That's really poor taste!

I always tip my stylist at least 15%, usually between 15-20%. I would prefer to do 20% all the time because she's amazing, and will return to doing that when I get a better paying job. She's the bomb and I don't know what I'd do without her!
hattie
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:42 am      Reply with quote
I have been giving 15-20%. Since he is the only one, not making anything on others. He has to do everything, shampoo & all, I thought it was okay to tip. He seems very grateful. However, I use to see another stylist in the same situation, who refused tips! That was why I was asking... Question
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:22 am      Reply with quote
MermaidGirl wrote:
tam wrote:

Yeah, I BET he said it was fine to tip the owner! That's really poor taste!

I always tip my stylist at least 15%, usually between 15-20%. I would prefer to do 20% all the time because she's amazing, and will return to doing that when I get a better paying job. She's the bomb and I don't know what I'd do without her!

MermaidGirl, is your stylist also the owner?
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:23 am      Reply with quote
nikkilici0us wrote:
most of my clients do the regular 15%... you get the occassional 20 if they are in a good mood or like what you do that day! lol Smile

nikkilici0us, do you own your salon?
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:26 am      Reply with quote
hattie wrote:
I see a stylist, he is the only one in the shop and is the owner. Rather pricey. How much should you tip?

Thanks!

Tipping should always be optional, totally up to you. I agree if the guy owns the place, he doesn't need to be tipped further. He charges a high price already. But of course if you ask him, he'd tell you to still tip him. Who wouldn't want more money?
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:28 am      Reply with quote
I think we tip way too much in the US. Pretty soon we'll start tipping the cops or firefighters for showing up to help us when we're dying since we're so grateful they're saving our lives.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:29 am      Reply with quote
If anyone ever saw Blue Heaven, you'd remember the scene where Steve Martin was trying to tip the FBI Agent for doing his job.
catsull
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:48 am      Reply with quote
My stylist has been doing my hair for over 11 years. She has owned her own salon for the past 1+ yrs, but I still tip her 18-20% because I know her expenses are pretty high and opening a new business is always tricky. But if it was an established big bucks salon, I probably wouldn't tip the owner (but he/she probably wouldn't be styling hair either!).

She's awesome & I love what she does with my hair (she's even had dreams about me & what to do next with my hair Shock ).

One thing I do is to make sure I'm NOT tipping on products! I always take that amount out before I figure the tip.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:37 am      Reply with quote
Mad Hey - hey!!! Easy now!!

We don't accept tips, though on what they pay us to do what we do... Rolling Eyes

Personally I just want them to make my 3 call rule happen! You call 911 3x within a 24 hour period...your phone explodes. Bad Grin

Cherisse wrote:
I think we tip way too much in the US. Pretty soon we'll start tipping the cops or firefighters for showing up to help us when we're dying since we're so grateful they're saving our lives.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
tam wrote:
nikkilici0us wrote:

nikkilici0us, do you own your salon?

no i don't, but my grandmother and my mother did. My mother says some people choose to not tip the owner, but a lot of people do. I guess it depends on how much you like him/her! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:34 pm      Reply with quote
Candy8865 wrote:

We don't accept tips, though on what they pay us to do what we do... Rolling Eyes

Personally I just want them to make my 3 call rule happen! You call 911 3x within a 24 hour period...your phone explodes. Bad Grin

Cherisse wrote:

That's too funny! Once my son (2 yrs old at the time) was playing with my phone. When I realized he was pushing on the button, I turned off the phone and put it away. About 15 mins later, a copy showed up at my front door telling me someone dialed 911. I told him no one did, but then I remembered my son was playing with the phone and it looked as though one of his hands was grabbing at the lower corner where number 9 was and the other hand was on the upper corner where number 1 was. The cop insisted that I let him inside my house to check to make sure I was not hiding a dead body in my closet. I asked to see his ID and would not allow him in until I felt sure he was a cop. But seriously if he had wanted to shove his way in, he could. He also had a gun, so he could just force his way in. haha I'm glad to report he didn't find anything suspicious. It was an amazing experience for me, since I didn't know someone would actually respond to a 911 call if no one said a word.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:36 pm      Reply with quote
Got this from Lifescript.com:

Tipping
- Server at a restaurant: 15-20% of your bill, or less or more, (more if the party is especially large) depending on the service. If you received free food or a discount, tip the amount as if you paid full price. Only tip the host if you received special service.

- Bar: 10-20%.

- Valet and pizza delivery: $1-2.

- Salon services (hair, nails, massage): 10-20% per service, or depending on the quality.

- Hotel maid: $1-2 per day of service.

- Hotel bellhop: $1-2 per piece of luggage they haul.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
Here's a pretty good article on tipping:

http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2006/10/12/basic-tips-on-tipping-how-much-and-to-whom/

Please note they have not suggested tipping the mailman for bringing our mail to our houses yet, or tipping the cops or firefighters, particularly the ones that rescue us from a tight spot.
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:52 pm      Reply with quote
Cherisse wrote:
Candy8865 wrote:

Cherisse wrote:

That's too funny! Once my son (2 yrs old at the time) was playing with my phone. When I realized he was pushing on the button, I turned off the phone and put it away. About 15 mins later, a copy showed up at my front door telling me someone dialed 911. I told him no one did, but then I remembered my son was playing with the phone and it looked as though one of his hands was grabbing at the lower corner where number 9 was and the other hand was on the upper corner where number 1 was. The cop insisted that I let him inside my house to check to make sure I was not hiding a dead body in my closet. I asked to see his ID and would not allow him in until I felt sure he was a cop. But seriously if he had wanted to shove his way in, he could. He also had a gun, so he could just force his way in. haha I'm glad to report he didn't find anything suspicious. It was an amazing experience for me, since I didn't know someone would actually respond to a 911 call if no one said a word.

'since I didn't know someone would actually respond to a 911 call if no one said a word'

It's called a 'well-being' check. there are many situations people call the police and cannot speak - but they know a unit will be dispatched.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
Candy8865 wrote:

Cherisse wrote:

OMG! Candy, could you add 3 consecutive calls from jail to the 'phone explodes' rule? I work for a civil rights attorney, and we get the craziest prisoners and inmates calling us from jail - COLLECT - all the time, telling us they've been implanted with bugs by the FBI, etc. We get so many, I'm starting to think I'M crazy and they're all SANE!
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:54 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |