Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)
Best makeup mirror with lights?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:27 pm      Reply with quote
Or would that be called a lighted makeup mirror? Anyway, what are some good ones? I need one that will stand on my bathroom counter, where I sit to apply makeup. If you can post a link or website that would be much appreciated!

I am currently using a very old Clairol makeup mirror. It has different light settings (I always keep it on the brightest one though = least forgiving light) and it swivels as needed to be regular or magnifying. It might be on its last legs -- it's started to act up a bit lately.
jacque
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:00 am      Reply with quote
bump, Also wanna buy one!
Essentia
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:47 am      Reply with quote
Hey, get outta my head you guys! Laughing I was just thinking about this yesterday ... Any ideas, anyone?

Beuller?? Anyone??

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
I have a Conair brand lighted makeup mirror that I really like. I have the satin nickel finish - it comes in several others. It's round & swivels with 1X and 8X magnification on each side. It's a little on the pricey side, but I really wanted the 8X mag rather than the 5X a lot of the less expensive mirrors had. With a 20% coupon at Bed, Bath & Beyond, it wasn't as bad.

Here's a link to my mirror:
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=109986&RN=445

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:16 pm      Reply with quote
I used one of the old Clairol mirrors like yours for years and also used it on the brightest setting.

I decided I wanted one of the newer round versions with the lights all around it. I tried several different brands and ended up returning each one because the lights were not bright enough. I ended up getting a Jilbere mirror at Sally's Beauty Supply that is exactly like the old Clairol ones. IMO, this old style still works the best.
world~of~mirth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:47 pm      Reply with quote
Ok if y'all dont use mirrors what type of lighting do you use to apply your makeup? I swear I should just bring it outside and put it on there. I can never find lightbulbs bright enough. I am just not getting the right type?
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:36 pm      Reply with quote
On the Shopping Channel they have the Ott makeup mirror which I'm tempted to get. I'm using a Conair right now.
phredd4
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:26 pm      Reply with quote
Rufus wrote:
On the Shopping Channel they have the Ott makeup mirror which I'm tempted to get. I'm using a Conair right now.

Hmmm, that sounds like it's worth looking into. I have a travel Ott light for my sewing classes. Suppposed to be just like daylight.

-Cheri
phredd4
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:34 pm      Reply with quote
Just looked that up at ott-lite.com. They've discontinued the makeup mirror but are still selling replacement bulbs. Still are available at the shopping channel though.

Found this little tidbit though: CNN uses Ott-Lite products in its makeup room and Antiques Roadshow appraisers use them to inspect items.

-Cheri
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:31 am      Reply with quote
Bummer about the Ott site not selling the mirrors anymore. They sound great! So...which "Shopping Channel" sells them? I only get HSN and QVC -- is there a website for the Shopping Channel you are referring to?

Anyone know why Ott isn't selling the makeup mirrors on their own website anymore?
phredd4
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:47 am      Reply with quote
marci65: It's theshoppingchannel.com

Here's the link to the Ott-lite mirrors they sell there:

http://tinyurl.com/329aea

This weekend I'll put my travel ott-lite on my vanity and let you know what it's like putting makeup on with it. I got my light at joann.com. Of course mine is a set up for crafts and sewing. The ladies at the quilt shop I go to always raved about them so I caved and bought one.

-Cheri
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:16 am      Reply with quote
I use Zadro lighted mirrors, which are superb for magnification and clarity. I have a handheld that I keep in the bathroom for checking pores, etc.:

http://zadroproducts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=Zadro&Product_Code=FH10L&Category_Code=ZadroSL2K

This is the one I have on my vanity, which also holds batteries and includes a travel case (the batteries don't last long, though). It's great and even has a timer for setting your makeup application "allowance". Smile Here it is:

http://zadroproducts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=Zadro&Product_Code=ULT18&Category_Code=ZadroSL2K

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:31 pm      Reply with quote
I finally remembered to try my Ott-Lite travel light on my makeup vanity. I have to admit it's the brightest and most natural makeup lighting I've ever used! I wasn't prepared to see EVERY flaw though!

Mine was purchased for sewing, but now it has it's place in my bathroom. Here's the one I have.

http://www.ott-lite.com/productdetail.asp?product_id=99

Not the greatest setup, but it's the only Ott-lite I have at the moment. Too bad they discontinued the Ott makeup mirrors.

-Cheri
kitty143
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:45 pm      Reply with quote
I have a homedics I bought at Ulta after christmas sale that works great. has a 10x mirror and different light settings. Works great.
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:07 pm      Reply with quote
kitty, do you have a link to the homedics mirror you own? I'd love to check it out.
kitty143
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:06 am      Reply with quote
Marci

I think it is this one - but my number is different.

http://www.homedics.com/prod/detail.aspx?ID=98

Anyway, one side of the mirror is normal and the other is magnified. It has 3 light settings.

I got it for $7 in the ulta after christmas sale. I had been looking for one and it was a great discount and was just what I wanted.
FaithTruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:02 am      Reply with quote
Call me blur but can someone explain to me what the benefits are of using a lighted makeup mirror to apply makeup? I'm under the impression that with the lights you might end up applying too much makeup?
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:01 am      Reply with quote
FaithTruth -- IME, the lighted mu mirror allows me to see more clearly and close-up in bright light how I look. If anything, that makes me put on less makeup, and I look more natural. Also, if I can see that I covered flaws in the bright light, chances are in my favor that they won't be noticeable to anyone else in dimmer light.

kitty -- Thanks, that link is very helpful! It looks like a great mirror! I am going to have to scope it out locally to see if I can find it for a bargain.
boarderboy

Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:42 am      Reply with quote
You cant get bespoke mirrors made to order from pure-reflection.co.uk if different colours and sizes they look really good

The better the light is when you are doing your make-up the better the results will be, ie if you dont have te right light of enough light, you will apply to much make-up and may look a bit orange, i just brought a mirror from pure-reflection.co.uk and it is amazing it looks great on my dresser and i have had people mention how good my make-up looks, yaaahh
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:33 am      Reply with quote
Besides the previous post being a sales pitch, there seemed to be a lot of good ideas on this four year old thread. However, none of the links worked. So much for "whatever you put on the internet stays forever." What are the latest magnifying mirrors that you like or dislike? I just stand in front of the window because I find daylight the best but of course if I am going out at night that doesn't work. Nor does it work well in the winter with dark mornings. My middle-aged eyes definitely need magnifying, too. I currently hold a small 4" magnifying mirror that I bought at CVS.
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:47 pm      Reply with quote
The lighted mirror on a stand from Clairol.

My mom gave it to me as a present in 1981 and it has always worked - never failed, never a failed part or light.

You can't say that about many things.

30 years and holding, bfg
DianneMcvay

Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:55 am      Reply with quote
Late reply but check out Grand Mirrors.
Their products have great lights, can customized, swivel the brackets/mirrors. They have variety of mirrors too. I have their Hollywood tabletop mirror for years and still workin great.

Disclaimer: I just own one of their products but I'm no way affiliated or sponsored by the company.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |