Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Newbie: Was inspired to do my 1st DIY Mask
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
faythem1997

Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:19 pm      Reply with quote
I have been lurking here a few days, and was so fascinated by all of you that have been making and using your own at-home recipes for beauty, I was inspired to try my own today. I decided to combine some concepts that I have been learning about the last few days:

1. Beneficial scrubs for face and body
2. Beneficial use of ACV as a toner and cleanser
3. Beneficial use of OCM
4. Beneficial use of essential oils in skin and hair care

Today, here is what I did:

My Mask Treatment

First, make the Toner, OCM and Night Cream:

ACV Toner (I varied CareKate's) I make TWO bottles, one for after shower spritz:

What you’ll need:

• Apple Cider Vinegar • Clean, empty 8 ounce glass or plastic bottle
• Green Tea • Distilled water (tap water is okay, but distilled is better!)
• Ylang Ylang essential oil (or any other essential oil of your choice)
• Lemon essential oil

What you do:

• Fill bottle 1/3 full of ACV: Increase or decrease amount of vinegar to suit your own skin type, add more for oilier skin and less for dry skin.
[What I Did: In both bottles, I filled them ½ full]

• Heat 2/3 cup of distilled water and bring to boil, then add 3-4 green tea bags (you want to make the tea solution REALLY strong!!) and let it steep for 30 minutes or longer, then remove teabags. Once the green tea has cooled completely, pour into bottle with ACV (do not fill bottle completely full because you'll need room to add the Ylang Ylang and/or other EOs).
[What I Did: I heated 1 cup water in the microwave, steeped 2 bags of green tea. Add ½ cup to each bottle]

• Add 12 drops of Ylang Ylang essential oil to bottle (if your skin-type is not oily, simply add less Y-Y oil or leave it out altogether) and 12 drops of Lemon essential oil.
[I suggest adding a total of 8 drops of EO in the 2 bottles. I use 2 drops of each below:

• BERGAMOT: Antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, aids in the healing of wounds and scars. Astringent, good for oily skin. Used for acne, eczema, spots, cold sores, boils, wounds.
• LAVENDER: Antiseptic, controls the production of sebum, stimulates circulation in the skin. Assists in the healing of wounds (aids in the formation of scar tissue) and helps to rejuvenate the skin. Used to treat acne, cuts, burns, sunburn, inflammation, psoriasis, wrinkles.
• LEMON: Assists in the formation of scar tissue. Antiseptic, astringent, controls the production of sebum, used for oily skin ,and acne. Revitalizes the skin by improving circulation and encouraging the elimination of wastes (used for cellulitis); gently exfoliates the complexion. With long application reduces broken capillaries and varicose veins, softens scar tissue on scars and corns. It is also said to strengthen brittle nails.
• YLANG YLANG: Antiseptic, soothing, helps to control the production of sebum, smooths the skin and stimulates new cell growth. Used to treat oily and irritated skin, acne, dandruff. eczema, wrinkles. Stimulates hair growth.]

• OILY SKIN: Bergamot, Carrot seed, Cedarwood, Clary sage, Cypress, Fennel (sweet), Geranium, Grapefruit, Juniper, Lemon, Mandarin, Tea tree, Ylang-ylang.
ACNE: Bergamot, Chamomile, Clary sage, Clove bud, Geranium, Grapefruit, Juniper, Lavender, Lemon, Lime,Mandarin, Palmarosa, Peppermint, Rosemary, Rosewood, Tea tree, Ylang-ylang.

Twice daily, after cleansing face as normal, put some toner on a cotton pad and gently swipe over your face and neck (if you prefer, you can use a spray bottle and spray the toner directly onto your face). Followup with your regular serums and/or moisturizer.

OCM Mix

Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) is used for moisture, while Castor Oil (CO) is used for cleansing. Castor Oil tends to be a bit on the thick side, so a mix of the two (EVOO/CO) is frequently used. This allows for the Castor Oil to really sink into the pores and draw out the dirt and grime to the surface. You can vary this ratio to match your skins needs. More EVOO for moisture or more CO for cleansing (25/75 EVOO/CO for Oily skin). EVOO is incredibly high in antioxidants, while CO is excellent for drawing and healing. CO has been the focus of many books and medical discussion because of its seemingly "magical" healing properties. It only makes sense (after a bit of research) that one would use CO on their face to help treat blemishes and acne, or simply to make their skin look and feel better.

So, I use the 25/75 EVOO/CO for Oily skin: 1 ounce EVOO/ 3 ounces Castor Oil. Combine in a bottle.

Vinegar Night Cream

Mix ½ cup of olive oil with ¼ cup apple cider vinegar and ¼ water. Use this instead of a commercial night cream. The olive oil provides moisture for your skin, while the vinegar takes care of dead skin cells, skin discolorations, and bacteria.
[I add 6 drops EO, usually lavender]

Now, make the Dry Mask Mixture.

My Dry Mask Mixture

3/4 cup sugar
10 aspirin tablets, uncoated
10 papaya enzyme tablets
6 bromelain capsules
2 ginger root capsules

Mix ingredients in an 8 ounce container.

To use: Add 1/8 cup of dry mixture to a bowl. Add a splash of: ACV Green Tea Toner, OCM Oil Mixture, and a DAB of honey. Apply the mask mixture to a dampened face, and massage for a few minutes. Wash off.

Follow up with Toner, then moisturize with the Vinegar Cream.

MY NEW SKIN CARE REGIMEN IS:

1. Spray body with apple cider vinegar after showering, and moisturize olive oil.
2. Clean face with apple cider vinegar toner.
3. Apply apple cider vinegar-olive oil-green tea/water lotion, at night.
salli
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:21 pm      Reply with quote
From what I have learned on this forum baking soda on your skin, particularly your face is a very big no no.

Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:25 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, didn't know that. Changed recipe to reflect this. Thanks.
faythem1997

Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:40 pm      Reply with quote
I am confused. I understand it seems baking soda should not be used on the skin, but the Arm & Hammer Site says:

Skin Care

Face it! Using ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda as an invigorating, yet gentle, facial scrub will leave your skin silky smooth. Great for teen skin and getting ready for self-tanners. Sprinkle a little ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda into your palm and mix into a paste (3 parts ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda to 1 part water). Apply in a gentle circular motion then rinse clean.

Can someone clear this up for me?
salli
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:54 pm      Reply with quote
I am not seriously experienced at DIY. I do know that initially, you should use a DIY recipe that follows a recipe that has been posted on the stickey for DIY. As you learn more you can experiment. I'm sure that someone more experienced than I will jump in, so please be patient.

Salli

5% products discount

Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:55 pm      Reply with quote
faythem1997 wrote:
I am confused. I understand it seems baking soda should not be used on the skin, but the Arm & Hammer Site says:

Skin Care

Face it! Using ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda as an invigorating, yet gentle, facial scrub will leave your skin silky smooth. Great for teen skin and getting ready for self-tanners. Sprinkle a little ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda into your palm and mix into a paste (3 parts ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda to 1 part water). Apply in a gentle circular motion then rinse clean.

Faythem, the issue with baking soda is that it is quite alkaline, and upsets the pH of the skin (which is naturally slightly acidic). If you're following it up with ACV, you're rebalancing the pH of the skin, so it may end up less of an issue. But why upset the pH of your skin at all if you can avoid it, KWIM? Smile

Age: 37. Coloring: Fair, blue eyes, any red marks can be seen from 20 feet away. Acne-prone, with combo-to-dry skin. Currently loving: GoW's mandelic acid serum, and beta glucans + topical antioxidants and vitamins for clear, calm, glowing skin.
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:26 am      Reply with quote
faythem1997 wrote:

Skin Care

Face it! Using ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda as an invigorating, yet gentle, facial scrub will leave your skin silky smooth. ....

Faythem, this is one of those instances where you have to watch out what a company is telling you about their own product. OF COURSE Arm & Hammer says you can use their baking soda for EVERYTHING!

There are certain everyday, have-around-the-house ingredients that are awesome for use in DIY skin and haircare recipes, but some of them are just really not that great to use on your skin and hair. There are far better alternatives out there. DIY is a great thing, but there's quite a difference between using inexpensive but good ingredients and using cheap ingredients which are also bad for your skin and hair. A lot of product manufacturers are guilty of using cheap ingredients that I didn't even know where not good for skin and hair (such as SLS, some silicones and parabens) before coming to this forum.

Listent to the girls here, especially the ones that are knowledgable about DIY and ingredient chemistry. They will not let you down.

Your enthusiasm is wonderful and good for you in taking the plunge into DIY. But, do a lot of thorough research first!
faythem1997

Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks you guys. I didn't realize how gullable I can be sometimes, thinking, "It's natural, I could use this." I am glad to learn from your knowledge and experience.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:20 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |