Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Not skin, but teeth. . .
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Sidda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:14 pm      Reply with quote
I just need a real answer here. Or a group hunch will do.

How long should a tooth crown last? That is, on a molar in back... is there a certain period after which they need to be replaced or they go wobbly or...? Fillings last decades -- or forever. How about crowns?

I have a 5/6 year old crown that gave me no problem, till I ate a Christmas cold caramel last month and it came unglued. No problem. A dentist replaced it with "strong temporary glue," in case I want to replace it when I got to my real dentist.

A month later, the crown came off. Another dentist (a new one, on my insurance network; these guys are all strangers to me) replaced it, with "temporary glue," saying we should replace it because it "keeps coming off." (Um. Twice in six years? With only temp glue?)

A day later it came off.

So. Do I need a new crown or are these dentists looking for work? Do I just need permanent glue?

I only have one crown. This is it. I do not know about crown things.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:02 am      Reply with quote
Sidda, I hate to say it but I think you need a new crown AND a reputable dentist. Keep in mind, I'm no expert. This is just my opinion.

I, too, only have 1 crown on my last molar on my right side and it's porcelain. For some reason, the top of my tooth suddenly broke off one morning. Don't know why. There was no cavity. I didn't bite down on anything. Anyway, my crown is about 15 years old and is just fine. I eat anything and everything without ever giving it a thought.

Ari

p.s. DH has 3 gold crowns in the back and he only had to have 1 replaced because he had a cavity develop under it. I think the oldest one is about 21 years old.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:40 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply!

You think I need a new crown even if it's only 5/6 years old? And only came off with cold caramels?

I'm working on the reputable dentist thing. I'm using local Internet recommendations, though. How to tell a good dentist from a lousy one?

My last semed fine, but now I realize he did a lot of extra unecessary work. The first new dentist I went to had glowing reviews, and a lovely manner, but charged my insurance co for a full set of xrays (should be 18 pix) and only took 8. I'm calling about that tomorrow.

And I'm getting some Poligrip and pasting this thing back in. It feels fine and looks fine and isn't worn out or unfit.

And I'd really love to not spend the $400 copay for a new one. Right now.

I know, I know -- you gave me your studied opinion and now I'm trying to talk you out of it. I know. I'll stop now.

Thanks again.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:29 am      Reply with quote
Sidda, seems to me a crown that's only 5-6 years old not only should NOT have come off, but should still be OK for future use. Crowns should last a LONG time and 5-6 years is not a long time. And why are these yahoos using temporary glue? What about using real, permanent glue?

My gut tells me that your gut is correct in its feeling that these guys are a bit shady. I never thought it was possible that a dentist would just grind up your teeth for fun and profit, but that has happened to several people I know. One girl had a mouth full of naturally beautiful teeth that were probably darned near perfectly health; she now has a mouth full of crowns and fillings. Of course, after the work was done, she took her x-rays and dental records to a good, reputable dentist who said that 95% of the work she had done was totally unnecessary!

I saw from one of your posts that you're in Los Angeles. DO NOT go to the Frankel Dental Group on Venice Boulevard - I am pretty sure they filled a cavity that I didn't really have! The place has a very "dental mill" feeling about it, very assembly line and I was totally unimpressed by the quality of work - I had one cavity filled with the white resin filling stuff and had to go back the following week because the guy used too much of it and it threw my bite off! That is SO BAD for the jaw!

I do know of a very good dentist (one of my friend's long-time good friends) that I'm kicking myself for not seeing in the first place. He's in Beverly Hills, and if you PM me, I'll send you his info. Maybe he's on your dental plan?
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:30 am      Reply with quote
IMO your crown should be cemented back on with permanent cement unless they feel that there is a problem under the crown. Usually they use temp cement if they need to access the natural tooth again soon.

Dentists are not likely to put down another's work. Why did the crown fall off to begin with? I wonder if the fit was correct??? When a tooth is being prepped for a crown not too much of the natural tooth should be drilled away. The crown should fit over the natural tooth nice and tight. If too much of your tooth was taken away the crown fitting would be loose and be more prone to decay and falling off.
anya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:13 am      Reply with quote
Sidda I agree with the previous posters. You should NOT have to get a new crown, I think these dentists are just taking advantage of the fact that you have an Insurance Plan. I have a crown on a molar for the past 12 +/- years and it's never given me any trouble.
I hope you can find a reputable dentist that will cement it back in place permanently!
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:27 am      Reply with quote
Why do the dentists keep putting it back on with temporary glue? If the crown itself isn't damaged, why aren't they using the permanent glue?
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:29 am      Reply with quote
tam wrote:
Why do the dentists keep putting it back on with temporary glue? If the crown itself isn't damaged, why aren't they using the permanent glue?

See, that's the key. My thinking was that, for whatever reason, the sucker doesn't fit anymore. Glued and fiddled with too many times, maybe.

Ari

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:23 pm      Reply with quote
But that's the thing -- it didn't "fall off." it only came off when pulled by a cold caramel. It's a wonder one of my teeth didn't come out with those caramels (I ate two bags -- it took a while Rolling Eyes )

The dentists are saying it's s short tooth (shallow crown)now. But why why did it work those six years? I'll pursue this further and see what I can find out.

The dentists that have been recomended by friends have full practices and aren't taking patients. Erk!

Thanks, all.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:52 pm      Reply with quote
Sidda wrote:
But that's the thing -- it didn't "fall off." it only came off when pulled by a cold caramel. It's a wonder one of my teeth didn't come out with those caramels (I ate two bags -- it took a while Rolling Eyes )

Well, you are persistent! Laughing

Quote:
The dentists are saying it's s short tooth (shallow crown)now. But why why did it work those six years? I'll pursue this further and see what I can find out.

Please keep us posted -- I'm interested to know how it ends up being handled. Good luck! Smile
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
I've had crowns for a long time. I've only had one come loose and it was reglued. I know however if the tooth under neath becomes decayed or if it becomes erroded they may need a new post. It sounds like you had a bad job done initially. I would ask friends for their dentist recommendations and have a new person look at it.
salli
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
Sidda, I think you need a new dentist.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:27 pm      Reply with quote
Dentists always get a bad rap- but there are a lot of honest ones out there!

I don't have any crowns, but I have done the procedure and cemented in many crowns in my life time (6 yrs of working in the dental field).

Firstly what type of crown do you have? Porcelain or Gold?? I personally would reccomend a gold crown on a back molar over porcelain as gold is a lot stronger and does not chip like porcelain. As well you are sustaining the most pressure or PSI in the posterior of your mouth. A good gold crown will can last you a lifetime. The life time of a procelain crown is about 15-20 years. But this is only if there are no problems with the tooth underneath your crown and you have impeccable hygiene. But some people can go a lifetime with their original crowns if they are prepared by an excellent dentist and they take care of their crowns really well. The gold crowns I cemented on my husband are still perfect after 10 years.

You must understand that a crown is perfectly fitted to the shape of your tooth that is prepared underneath that crown. That is why they take an impression of your "stubby tooth" before making the crown. If any part of the stubby tooth is broken or compromised a crown will never fit the same way again and this leads to bacteria, food, etc getting in under your crown and causing decay of your tooth.

When your crown first came off some parts of your tooth may have come off with it, which is why I understand both dentists would have put it back on with temporary cement. If a part of your tooth had come off with the crown and they had just cemented it back on permanently then there is more of a chance that your crown will come off again, taking off more tooth structure because the permanent cement would cause more of your tooth to break off.

Sometimes they can just rebuild the tooth back up with filling material, but then you would still need a new crown to match the new shape of your tooth underneath. If you have a really bad break underneath then they may have to pull out the whole tooth and look at other options for replacement.

I would firstly ask your DDS why they are recommending that you get a new crown? Is it the crown itself, or your tooth structure?

If it is the crown, you ask your dentist what would have caused this - anything you did, or faulty manufacturing at the lab where it was produced?

If it was the labs fault, I would not pay one cent to have the crown replaced. If it is that your tooth stucture has changed, by breaking or chipping, or decay, then you definately need a new crown.

Do try to look at the situation with a clear mind and do not think that your dentist is trying to rip you off. Get all of the facts before you make your decision and don't be swayed by people saying "oh dentists just try to make money off of you". It is the health of your tooth that you should be concerned with. You can take anyone's advice, but what if in the end you lose your tooth?
HTH!
CG
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
I forgot we had a dental expert here - sorry about that, Canadian Girl! And THANK YOU for explaining all about why someone would need a new crown after such a short period of time. Makes perfect sense to me.
Canadian Girl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:37 pm      Reply with quote
Oh one more thing.
You mentioned that your Dentist had only taken 6 x-rays but charged your for an FMS (full mouth series). I don't know about the states but in Canada if we charged for each individual x-ray it would be more expensive than charging for and FMS. i.e- 6 x-rays at 15 buck a piece = $90, but an FMS is only ~$80, so they may have been trying to save you some money there.
CG
Canadian Girl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:11 pm      Reply with quote
MermaidGirl wrote:
I forgot we had a dental expert here - sorry about that, Canadian Girl! And THANK YOU for explaining all about why someone would need a new crown after such a short period of time. Makes perfect sense to me.

Your very welcome.

I just want you all to know, that it is not my intention to defend these dentists, but I would just like you to get all the facts and information from them to make an informed decision.
CG
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:10 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |