Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Silk Dust/ Pearl Primer Comparison
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:19 pm      Reply with quote
Since I've become such a big fan of mineral make up, I've come to find that it just performs better with a powder primer under it and a setting powder over it. This is where all the various silk dusts and pearl primers come in. (BTW ladies--- even if you don't dabble in mineral make up, these powders are great for wearing over regular make up, wearing to bed, etc etc) However, just as it can be hard to find a holy grail MMU in the veritable sea of brands on the market, it can also be hard to pick the right silk/pearl dust, which is why I thought I'd review and compare all the ones I've tried so far. Please feel free to add reviews!

Jurlique Rose Silk Dust (around $30): This is actually the first silk dust I ever tried, and I fell in love with it way before I discovered MMU. There were two things that attracted me to Jurlique's Rose Silk Dust. The first thing is the fact that it is TRULY translucent and it never turns orange. I had been settling for orangy loose powders for years just because I didn't think I could do any better--- never again! The other reason I fell for this silk dust is I loved the purity of its ingredients. It's corn starch (silica too, maybe?) and various herbs and essential oils. I often wear it to bed to absorb oil while I sleep and I have never broken out from it. Frankly, I consider it more of a skin treatment than a cosmetic. However, the Rose Silk Dust has been subsequently dethroned. I have realized there are much better, more affordable options out there, so the Rose Silk Dust has now been put up for swap on MUA.

Everyday Minerals Silk Dust/ Lumiere Silk Dust ($12): I've reviewing these two together because they are essentially the exact same product, and they are the same price. This is a good, no-frills primer and finishing powder. My MMU looks nice when I use it, but again, there are better options, IMO. I'd also like to add that while I've had no untoward reactions from either of these products, another EDS member found that her face itched terribly after using the EDM Silk Dust.

Carekate's Lavender Silk Dust ($15): Now we're talking! This is carekate's dupe of Jurlique's Lavender Silk Dust, and frankly, it's better. The lavender fragrance smells great (and I think it helps with redness too--- my skin just loves lavender), and when I use it as a primer and a setting powder it keeps the oilies away all day.

Carekate's Jasmine Vanilla Pearl Silk Dust: Carekate sent me a sample of this with my latest order. I saw the name on the pot and thought "Uh-oh!" You see, I'm very sensitive to fragrances, and both jasmine AND vanilla are usually way too strong for me, so together I thought I would be getting a one-way ride to migraine city. However, just the opposite happened: I found the mild scent to be not only pleasant, but downright addicting. Heck, I'm ordering a full size jar as we speak! Since I only got a sample I don't know the price of a full size jar yet, but I'll update when I do. I believe this is similar to carekate's silk dust, and just jazzed up with some pearl powder too. Just like the silk dust, it makes both a great primer and a great finishing powder.

Silken Pearl Primer: Apparently we have another DIY goddess in our midst, and her name is hpjrt (Mary). She has a signature recipe called Silken Pearl Primer that she's getting ready to unveil to the public, and I was lucky enough to nab a sample. This primer contains titanium dioxide, oatmeal, pearl dust, silk dust, and a few other things I can't remember off the top of my head. The formula seems pretty simple, which is why I'm convinced that Mary does some kind of voo-doo magic on it before she ships it off, because wow! When I use this silken pearl primer underneath my MMU, it literally makes my MMU look like a second skin. It's really incredible. The powder itself looks slightly tinted, but don't worry, it goes on completely translucent. The sample I got was unscented, but Mary says she can scent it upon request. Apparently her signature scent is sweet orange (yum!), but she can also do lavender, etc. Mary has a few more things to do before she finalizes her prices and product list, but it should be ready any day now, so if you'd like to receive her list just send a PM to hpjrt.

Final comments: There's one more powder I've been meaning to try--- Uglogirl's soft-glo finshing powder. I've been hearing some major raves about it, so I'll update after I've tried it. I'll also update when I have more info on the prices for carekate's pearl silk dust and Mary's silken pearl primer.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:58 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the info. I just found MMU and I love it! Very Happy I tried JI and found that my skin was too oily and not enough coverage. I tried Alima and did not like it. I just received Lumiere and LOVE it! The color is perfect and it seems to hold the oil.
My questions are: I have JI finishing powder and wonder if you tried that and where can I get carekate's powder? Thanks!
Janie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:10 pm      Reply with quote
I also, had to ask if using a "silk dust" under the MMU, will it make me shiny? Thanks!
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:14 pm      Reply with quote
Janie - you need to PM CareKate for her pdts. Put "Product order" or something similar in the subject as she has VERY limited computer access.
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:22 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:

Carekate's Jasmine Vanilla Pearl Silk Dust

I adore her regular Lavender Silk Dust.
OMG! I'm in LOVE! <*faints*>

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
Janie-- I haven't tried JI's finishing dust so unfortunately I can't compare it, but I can tell you that wearing silk dust under your MMU will make you less shiny because it will help absorb oil. HTH!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz - can you compare Carekate's Pearl Silk dust with Mary's Silken Pearl dust?
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:57 pm      Reply with quote
sormuimui wrote:
manslayerliz - can you compare Carekate's Pearl Silk dust with Mary's Silken Pearl dust?

Well, it's hard to compare the two because they are both awesome. I guess I would say that the Silkne Pearl Primer makes a better primer as it makes my MMU last even longer, makes it look even more airbrushed, AND makes it look like my own skin rather than make up. Like I said, I swear it's some kind of magic. However, I think carekate's silk dust makes a slightly better finishing powder since I like the aromatherapy and it's a little bit "lighter" than the silken pearl primer. My bottom line is I plan to use both, although one could use one or the other for both primer and finishing powder and be quite happy, I believe. HTH!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:37 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for the review! Smile

I have CareKate's Lavender Silk Dust coming; now I'm really anxious to try it! Smile
Janie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:16 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for your help! I'm trying to get Carekate's and Mary's. I can't tell you how happy I am that I found MMU! Very Happy
Janie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:44 pm      Reply with quote
I have one last question-does anyone know the difference between the silk dust and a finishing powder? Confused Thanks!
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:48 pm      Reply with quote
Janie wrote:
I have one last question-does anyone know the difference between the silk dust and a finishing powder? Confused Thanks!

Actually Janie, they're pretty much the same thing. Any of the silk dusts or pearl primers can be used under or over MMU. HTH!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:55 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks! Very Happy
mommydearest
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:19 pm      Reply with quote
How are you finding the products these members like Carekate make?
Oakview
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:45 am      Reply with quote
You can make your own based on the recipes in the DIY thread. If you prefer to buy, MermaidGirl was kind enough to send me a list of Carekate's products. Just PM her (MermaidGirl) since Carekate has limited computer access.
Oakview
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:50 am      Reply with quote
mommydearest wrote:
How are you finding the products these members like Carekate make?

Sorry, I got it wrong. My memory is not what it used to be! Here is MermaidGirl's info from another thread
"NEWSFLASH: New information on how to contact CAREKATE!!!

Ok, everyone, I have some exciting news!

I've been in contact with Carrie, and she has advised me that, due to the many problems she's had with the PMs sent to her through EDS being lost, not going through, and the long delays people have experienced in waiting to hear from her, she has gone ahead and set up an internet-based e-mail account specifically for us to use in contacting her! Yay!

If you want to get in contact with Carrie, please send her an e-mail at:

carekate AT hotmail DOT com

Obviously, there are no spaces in her e-mail address; I've written it like this so that she can avoid getting unsolicited junk mail from spambots. So, if you decide to share her e-mail address or repost it for others on the forum, please write it just like this, NOT in the traditional, correct format. She set up this account for our use, so please let's all help her avoid encountering any problems with having to wade through junk e-mail to get to our orders!

Also, please be sure to put some sort of easy for her to recognize reference in the subject line, e.g., "CareKate - Order" or "MemberName from EDS" so the message won't get filtered out as spam.

Lastly, she has updated her product guide to include instructions on how to contact her and/or place an order. If you are interested in obtaining that, please send your requests to me at the e-mail below and I will send it to you as soon as I can:

MermaidGirl-CKPL AT hotmail DOT com"
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:26 pm      Reply with quote
Hi manslayerliz,

It took me a couple of days to find this ... but I'm delighted that you liked the Primer.

Thank you so much! Very Happy

I shall have pricing soon fixed ... within a couple of days and will get back to everyone who has PM'd me. Very Happy

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:31 am      Reply with quote
Hi all,

I have a question about how to apply the powders - since they come in a small pot - how do you get it out? Do you use a brush? Fingers? I'm confused...
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:04 am      Reply with quote
Hi Agent OO-CAT,

Yes, you use a brush to apply the powder. This is the same application technique as for MMU.

You can tap a small amount [smaller than you might at first suppose] of the powder from the small sample container into a small bowl and swirl the brush into it, tapping the excess off the brush before applying. When you've done your face, simply pour any remaining powder from the bowl back into the sample container.

You could also empty the sample container into a larger jar, one which would accommodate the brush's entry, but you should know that silk powder should be protected from light ... which means that see-through jars might not be a good idea.

HTH

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:15 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Mary,

I don't use MMU, so these tips are very useful. I'll get a large jar with a lid.

Cat
Janie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
I just tried my Lumiere silk powder sample and love it! Razz I've tried to contact carekake but I haven't heard from her.
Please tell me this-when do you use a finishing powder? I used the Lumiere silk powder before and after my foundation and LOVED the look AND no oily breakthroughs. Thanks!
cuppre
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:27 pm      Reply with quote
Great review again Liz!

I have tried CareKate's Silk Dust (in citrus) and it is indeed a wonderful setting powder. Sometimes I just dust it on after sunscreen to reduce the shine.

Mid-20s Asian female (since I am not mature enough to be called a woman Very Happy). Skin is combination with tendency to dryness around the cheeks and prone to blemishes. Naturally coarse black hair Sad. Lastly but most importantly, you need something purchased in Australia I will be happy to CP :.
brenpatsa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:44 pm      Reply with quote
Are these primers and setting powders for oily skinned gals only?
oriana808
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:24 pm      Reply with quote
Finally rec'd Carekate's Silk Pearl Dust and love it. Awesome finishing powder, can't even tell I have powder on, so translucent and matte, smells lovely, holds up for a long time. Never tried silk dust before so can't compare it to anything else. I'm completely satisified with this purchase.
Janie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:09 pm      Reply with quote
How can I get ahold og Carekate? I tried PM and email. I really want to try her silk dust.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:33 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |