Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Read any good BOOKS lately?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
I'm always looking for book suggestions. Here are some I really liked:

"The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls - one of the best I've EVER read; pee-your-pants funny and motivational at the same time; HIGHLY rec!

"Bachelor Brothers Bed & Breakfast" - light, charming, quirky.

"Marley & Me" by John Grogan - hilarious about his yellow lab (I have one who is like my 4th child to me) but also made me cry for 3 hours at the end (you can guess why). I love my dog so much and this one hit close to home. I'm gonna be a wreck when she goes to heaven Crying or Very sad

"The Dark Queen", "The Courtesan", and "The Silver Rose" by Susan Carroll - a trilogy about 3 sisters in 16th century France; romance, suspense, the usual but with interesting (I think) historical perspective. I have a "thing" about France!

On my to read list:

"Suite Francaise" by Irene Nemirovsky - true story about her experience in Nazi Germany and the horrific experiences she had.

"Dark Angel" by Karleen Koen - she wrote one of my ALL time favorite books ("Through A Glass Darkly"); this is the prequel set in Restoration England (there's that European "thing" again. I'm convinced I must have been a duchess(of course) in a previous lifetime Laughing ).

I'd be interested to hear from everyone re: some good books to add to my reading list!
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
tsjmom wrote:
"Marley & Me" by John Grogan - hilarious about his yellow lab (I have one who is like my 4th child to me) but also made me cry for 3 hours at the end (you can guess why). I love my dog so much and this one hit close to home. I'm gonna be a wreck when she goes to heaven Crying or Very sad

I just finished this one not too long ago ... GREAT book!! It will have you laughing and doing some crying.

One book I just finished was "The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd. One of the girls I work with lent it to me. It's funny, because it's not a book I would have picked up myself (I lean more towards Stephen King/Dean Koontz types), but it was SOOOO good! It's an easy read ... I read it in a day from early morning to late afternoon ... but it was really, really good. I'd like to pick up some of her other books.
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:42 pm      Reply with quote
tsjmom wrote:
... there's that European "thing" again. I'm convinced I must have been a duchess(of course) in a previous lifetime Laughing ...

Thank you for the great suggestions! I love getting a good book recommendation. Right now I have nothing to suggest because all I've been reading for the past 2 years are text books and my LSAT preparation books! *Sigh!*

BTW, some of my professors at university were so passionate about their chosen fields that my best friend and I are convinced *they were there!* Our Ancient Egypt and Ancient Greece professors especially - I know they have to still be connected to those places on some level.
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:09 pm      Reply with quote
Confessions of an Economic Hit Man by John Perkins. The new world order is one of corporatocracy. Very interesting, insightful and a great read.
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:10 pm      Reply with quote
If you like historical fiction, here a few of my favorites:

Mists of Avalon (Marion Zimmer Bradley) - Arthurian legend told from the point of view of the very powerful women characters behind the throne.

Memoirs of Cleopatra (Margaret George) - Cleopatra tells her life story with a mix of historical fact and legend.

A really good trilogy that takes place in Ancient Egypt is The Lords of Two Lands by Pauline Gedge.

There is also a trilogy by Mary Stewart; The Arthurian Saga.

I've just started Mary Queen of Scotland & The Isles: A Novel (another one by Margaret George).
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:14 pm      Reply with quote
I'm fond of the Paranormal Romance or Horror genre. A few (there's too many to list)favorites of mine are:

The number one favorite of mine is a fairly new author called KIM HARRISON . Her Rachel Morgan series has been wonderful. It starts with the book, 'Dead Witch Walking' and the latest release is out March 7th called 'For a Few Demons More'. I have an arc so I've read the book and love it.

Charlaine Harris: The Dead Series the latest release in the series is May 1st called 'All together Dead"

Laurell K. Hamilton's: The Anita Blake series with the latest release June 5th is 'Harlequin'

Jim Butcher: The Dresden Files with the next in the series out April 3rd called 'White Night'. The series based on his books is on the Sci fi channel and is called 'The Dresden Files' and is on Sunday nights before Battlestar Galactica.

JR. Ward: The Black Dagger Brotherhood series the next out March 6 called 'Lover Revealed'

Patricia Briggs: Moon Called and Blood Bound, both available now.
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:36 am      Reply with quote
Rufus wrote:
... Her Rachel Morgan series has been wonderful. It starts with the book, 'Dead Witch Walking' and the latest release is out March 7th called 'For a Few Demons More'. I have an arc so I've read the book and love it.

Love the titles she uses! BTW, what is an "arc"? Are you in the writing or publishing business and would it be an advanced copy or something?
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:37 am      Reply with quote
dollbird wrote:
Confessions of an Economic Hit Man by John Perkins. The new world order is one of corporatocracy. Very interesting, insightful and a great read.

That's one on my list of "must reads." I saw part of an interview with him and what he had to say was a bit chilling. Very very interesting stuff.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:52 am      Reply with quote
A book I read which made me laugh and laugh was 'Wake Up, Sir!" by Jonathan Ames.

Indescribable - do look it up on Amazon if you want a funny read.

(I'd love any other recommendations for books that made you laugh.)

I'd recommend Mil MIllington's books and Danny Wallace is also very funny.

My favourite book recently has been http://www.jonathanstrange.com/ a wonderful sizeable chunk of victoriana about magicians.

I'm also reading Murakami, who's books create a strange world all of their own. I just finished Norwegian Wood, and now I'm reading The Wind Up Bird Chronicle.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:31 am      Reply with quote
catski wrote:
A book I read which made me laugh and laugh was 'Wake Up, Sir!" by Jonathan Ames.

My favourite book recently has been http://www.jonathanstrange.com/ a wonderful sizeable chunk of victoriana about magicians.

I'm also reading Murakami, who's books create a strange world all of their own. I just finished Norwegian Wood, and now I'm reading The Wind Up Bird Chronicle.

catski, if you are looking for a book that would make you laugh, I definitely recommend reading a book by Roald Dahl called "Switch B*tch". I often find myself amused at books, but this one had me laughing so hard that I cried!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
I just read the Secret life of Bees and also My sisters Keeper. I loved them both.
bb2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
Woman Power

These days I found or heard so many people suffering from family problems. Some of my friends want to get rid of their husbands but they don't have such courage. Rolling Eyes

This book can tell you how to transform your man, your marriage and your life. Hope you ladies enjoy it. Smile
dalguy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:24 pm      Reply with quote
- I'm currently reading "No Logo" by Naomi Klein. I'm a little late to the party with that book but it seems interesting.
- I recently finished "Beauty Junkies: Inside Our $15 Billion Obsession With Cosmetic Surgery" and it was interesting but I wish I just borrowed it. It just seemed like a long article in a trashy magazine and not like the actual book I was expecting.
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:30 pm      Reply with quote
I didn't realize that Roald Dahl wrote adult literature... "Switch Bitch" looks intriguing (I love books that make you laugh really hard!). Is Roald Dahl's humor similar to Kurt Vonegut Jr's?

Tsjmom- "The Glass Castle" looks good. I think I might try reading that next.

In the last couple of months I've read the following books and found them to be good:

"Sea Glass" by Anita Shreve -takes place in the 20s and 30s

"Family Pictures" by Sue Miller -takes place over time from the 50s until present.

"The Rainmaker" by John Grisham- (A movie too.) This is a really good book. I had only seen part of the movie several years ago so I kind of forgot what it was about. I think if you've seen the movie it's still a good read.

I'm currently reading "The Da Vinci Code" by Dan Brown -(Now a movie which I am sure many of you are aware of.) I haven't seen the movie yet b/c I wanted to read the book first. It's SO GOOD! I really appreciate learning so much while I'm sucked into the story.

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:35 pm      Reply with quote
amnis wrote:
Is Roald Dahl's humor similar to Kurt Vonegut Jr's?

Actually, it's been so long since I've read KV Jr I don't think I could compare them adequately. However, I will say that I think that Roald Dahl excels in adult literature. His themes are VERY adult (one of the short stories is about a wife swap of sorts Shock ), but his sense of humor is dead on. He wrote another book for adults--- I think it's called Kiss Kiss and it's a bunch of really short, really outrageous stories.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:46 pm      Reply with quote
MermaidGirl wrote:
Rufus wrote:
... Her Rachel Morgan series has been wonderful. It starts with the book, 'Dead Witch Walking' and the latest release is out March 7th called 'For a Few Demons More'. I have an arc so I've read the book and love it.

Love the titles she uses! BTW, what is an "arc"? Are you in the writing or publishing business and would it be an advanced copy or something?

It's an Advanced Readers Copy. I'm not in the business but I do read a lot and if you're on the net long enough you can trip over deals. I just promise not to sell the arc or otherwise spoil anyone on the upcoming books.
swissmiss
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
I read Marley and me over Christmas - my husband came in and I was all teary and wanted to know what was wrong!
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:23 pm      Reply with quote
I just finished Forever Amber and loved it~ I didn't know the book had been around for 50 years...

Also read Flowers in the Attic (and the whole series) - hmm Virginia Andrew's style is slightly predictable.
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:30 pm      Reply with quote
I've just finshed a Janet Evanovich (number 8 ).
It was very funny.
raindrop921
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:24 pm      Reply with quote
catski wrote:

OMG..I LOVE LOVE Murakami. I finished reading Norwegian literally in a day. i sat there doing nothing because I couldn't put the book down. MUST READ

The Wind up Bird Chronicle was just as good and the stories were so mesmerizing...and you would NEVER EVER guess what was going to happen or had happened.

Also..Running With Scissors, Dry, and Magical Thinking by Augusten Burroughs. he is another one of my favorite authro. I picked up his book at the airport, running with scissor and it was touching and funny at the same time. And his books just gets better and better. It is a memoir about his life, and in the book Dry, it was so deperessing with amazing humor. I cried while reading one of the chapter.
Augusten' book are the type that you will never forget, each story each effect will make you think..1. he is such an amazing write
2. how can that possibly all have happened to him
he seriouslly lived 1000 lives.

Please read it and you will know what I mean

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:43 pm      Reply with quote
I just finished reading a trio of books by Maureen Lee ... I just love her characterization! Nothing much happens ... just everyday stuff ... but you get sucked right in with her characters. Laughing

The three I just read last week were:

The Girl From Barefoot House
Laceys of Liverpool
The House by Princes Park

I'm reading one right now by Minette Walters called Disordered Minds. Her books aren't the "run of the mill" suspense/mystery ... but they are good.

I've got a J.A. Jance book "on deck" to begin as soon as I finish reading the Minette Walters' book. Laughing I can't stand not having something to read when I'm finished reading whatever I'm reading at the time. Laughing

Sad ... isn't it? Laughing

Mary

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:38 pm      Reply with quote
I tend to get hooked on authors, and read everything they've written. My latest Author is Dorothea Benton Frank. Her fictional novels are set on the various islands of the coast of S. Carolina. Her descriptions are so lovely- it makes you wish you also grew up there. Titles include:
Isle of Palms
Plantation
Sullivan's Island
Pawle's Island
Shem Creek
Full of Grace

Her books are a wonderful escape from our hectic lives!
Robin
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:52 pm      Reply with quote
Hi kyplantjunkie,

I'm like you ... I tend to read by authors ... which, after a while, gets annoying because once you've read everything a given author has written, you have to go about finding a new author! Laughing And sometimes those authors die ... and then they don't write anymore ... which I find a feeble excuse! Laughing Rolling Eyes Laughing

At any rate ... what genre of books does Dorothea Benton Frank write? Are they mystery, romance, family sagas ... other?

The owner of the second hand bookstore I frequent called over the past weekend and said she was having a sale this week ... so I plan to go tomorrow. I'll keep my eye peeled for this author. [Which means I'll write down her name or else I'll forget it! Laughing ]

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:09 am      Reply with quote
Some of the best books I have recently read:

*The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini 'Narrated by Amir, a 40-year-old novelist living in California, The Kite Runner tells the gripping story of a boyhood friendship destroyed by jealousy, fear, and the kind of ruthless evil that transcends mere politics. Running parallel to this personal narrative of loss and redemption is the story of modern Afghanistan and of Amir's equally guilt-ridden relationship with the war-torn city of his birth. The first Afghan novel to be written in English, The Kite Runner begins in the final days of King Zahir Shah's 40-year reign and traces the country's fall from a secluded oasis to a tank-strewn battlefield controlled by the Russians and then the trigger-happy Taliban. When Amir returns to Kabul to rescue Hassan's orphaned child, the personal and the political get tangled together in a plot that is as suspenseful as it is taut with feeling.'

*Wilkie Collins - The Woman in White and Armadale will both have you with matchsticks propping open your eyes, I cauld not put either down and stayed up until 6am one night reading!!

I am also on a bit of a Jackie Collins Trip at the moment Embarassed

Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:03 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |