Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
I Feel Pretty Products New Cleansers - Review
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » DIY and Home-based Company Skincare Product Reviews
Reply to topic
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:12 pm      Reply with quote
I know some people were asking about these products, so I just wanted to add a quick review here.

For the past two weeks I have been using both of the new cleansers from the I Feel Pretty line. http://www.ifeelprettyproducts.com/facial.htm

Two products are available.

Pure & Pretty Clarifying Cleanser for for oily/acne-prone skin

Pure & Pretty Gentle Cleanser for all skintypes incluiding sensitive, oily, dry, mature

My skin is acne prone, used to be super oily. I have now normalized skin due to current skin care regiment. Now it is basically normal, slightly oilier in the T zone, but not bad. Hormonal breakouts only once a month, though I am slowing improving this as well. LOL

I personally prefer to avoid harsh cleansers/detergents and those with high pH to minimize acid mantle damage, protein damage, and stripping issues. Which contributed to my past super oily and pimply skin.

Ingredients:

Both cleansers are pH 4-6 and SLS free. They use a mild non-irritating natural surfactant. Plantapon or poly decyl glucoside carboxylate which is a new group of surfactants known as polyglucosides.

They both contain essential oils, and botanicals that aim at healing and normalizing the skin without irritation or pore clogging.

This gives you a mild cleanser that does not strip or damage the fragile acid mantle on the skin. And can be maintained at a lower pH then typical stronger Sulfate cleansers.

Performance:

These products do have some low foaming effect, but not as heavy as commonly seen in drugstore SLS based detergents. So though it will foam a little with water, these are not “foamy” products. (remember foam does not clean skin)

Both products left skin feeling cleansed, slightly moist, but neither dry or tight or striped. Neither caused breakouts or irritation or dryness. Even when used twice a day. (Normally I only wash skin with a cleanser once a day)

Both have a light herbaly scent, from the plant extracts used. No added fragrances.

Gentle Cleanser was an Herbally Grassy, wild flower scent.

Clarifying Clenser was Citrus/Herbal scented

Makeup Removal:

Thick sunscreen lotion removed well in one cleansing coat.

Mineral Make-ups and bronzers removed well in one wash step.

I found both did remove a heavy silicon based foundation, with finish powder, and eye makeup fairly good. But a second coat was needed to remove all traces of eye makeup.

I do use a microfiber cloth for rinse wash off. For those who have used the Azulene or Tea Tree Cleanser from Geografx – it was similar in removal.

Tips:

Normally to remove all heavy high silicone foundation makeup with these type of cleansers I do the following.

Apply a skin friendly oil to entire face and eyes to loosen all makeup. Rub around. Let soak a minute, which allowing tap water to warm, and wetting microfiber cloth or washcloth.
Set warm wetted cloth aside.
Pour cleanser into wet hand and work with water to create a bit of foam. (you won’t get much) Then rub onto face etc with fingertips.
Then wipe all off well with Microfiber cloth.
Rinse cloth and go over skin again for final rinse off.

Or do one wash as above, without oil step.
Then after washing off product from skin with cloth, soap up a second time and do a final rinse off. So do two soap and rinse steps.

Either of these methods have always removed all foundation and eye makeup with even the mildest cleansers.

One could of course go over skin with a mild non irritant, alcohol free toner. Or a VERY dilute Apple Cidar Vinegar and water tone for a final cleanse. But if I do the steps above, I find that is not needed.

I liked both products. Wink
Oakview
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the review. I checked out the website and these are also pretty reasonably priced. The website lists ingredients and pH as well which is really nice to know. Have you tried the eye makeup remover by any chance?
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:29 pm      Reply with quote
Yes I use the eye makeup remover, I like it also. It works well on me. (mascara, gel eyeliners, heavy eye shadows) It does not irritate my eyes. And it helps condition my lashs I think.
Basically just assorted plant oils.

They sugguest useing it with a cotton ball. But I don't do that. I just pour a little in my hand, spread onto and around eyes with fingertips, then spread rest of oil over face and work around a bit.

Then use my cleanser to remove all.
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:52 pm      Reply with quote
Kim, the owner of I Feel Pretty, provided this info to me.

"I use a facial cleansing 'puff' - and the cleanser will foam more on this type of product - although, the amount of foam in no way indicates the amount of cleaning."
razinkane
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Tangal. I ordered the gentle cleanser yesterday, and the line eraser with matrixyl (spelling) a couple of days ago. I can't wait to try them. I love that everything is so affordable.
katya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:44 pm      Reply with quote
Tangal...would you say that they foam as mutch as the Geografx ? You said alredy that they are similar. I currently use the azulene in the morning and tea tree at night and I think they have a nice foam. I also want to ask you a recomendation for a toner of floral water maybe. I realy like to use some after my cleanser. Do you have any good recommendation for combination/oily skin ? Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:49 pm      Reply with quote
It foams about like the Geo. Ingrediants differ though. Wink

I am sorry, no recomendation on a floral water toner for you.
katya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:55 pm      Reply with quote
Confused NObody have a toner recommendation for me. I also ask Kim , because I order her products.Everybody say that is important to have the proper ph in cleanser to not disturb the effectiveness of the BHA. So I want to make sure I got the right toner...might start a topic about that...

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
katya wrote:
Confused NObody have a toner recommendation for me. I also ask Kim , because I order her products.Everybody say that is important to have the proper ph in cleanser to not disturb the effectiveness of the BHA. So I want to make sure I got the right toner...might start a topic about that...

isn't the bha a toner in itself? re the Ph, if I understood tangal correctly, you can merely respect the wait time and it won't matter.

Tangal,

I had a look at the ifeelpretty site, and they really do seem to have some winning product formulations--if I wasn;t so dedicated to my osea, I'd probably try them myself! I've already recommended the products to a few new EDS users, I think they sound fabulous. And I'm a real hesitant, skeptical skincare user!

I ordered a bha toner from garden of wisdom, since I also wanted to try some of their isolated actives and oils along with my current regimen, and I am also a tad bit confused about how I should use it. I am not sure about the ph of my own cleansers, but I plan to wait about 10 mins before and after the bha toner 2%. is this correct?

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
lorettapy
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:57 am      Reply with quote
wow, thanks for the review. Laughing
a tempting new product to me again~~~
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:44 am      Reply with quote
The IFP BHA can be used as a toner, but depending on skin type it can be too harsh for daily or twice daily use. But if you can use it daily that’s fine. Though twice daily can be too much for most. This is why it’s not normally used as a toner. But it certainly can be.

A toner is not technically necessary at all. A toner is not really a benefit itself normally, as the skin will lower is pH all by itself in 20-30 minutes – even if you do nothing. Remember when you shower, water pH is 7.0. So it also raises the skin pH to 7.0 (which is neutral) for 20 minutes or so, that’s normal. Neutral pH is not skin stressful for short times. The skin can handle that unless it is very very fragile or damaged.

Unless your activates are pH sensitive, (acids for example) you don’t need the toner. Skin pH at a shorter time higher level (around neutral) in itself is not bad, assuming we are not talking 13 pH or something. (anything over neutral)

Ideally you should always aim to use products, especially cleansers, with the same pH as skin roughly 4.5 – 5.5 range And aim for pH below 7.0 on other products. (as close to skin range as possible) Lower is better, Not higher.

It is the combo of harsh ingredients/detergents etc and high pH that really does a real number on the skin. But that does it in a split second, so adding the toner after removing the harsh detergents and cleanser, really is “closing the barn door AFTER the horse has left” The damage has already been done.

Much better to not use harsh cleansers at all, and especially those with a pH above 5.0 range. Because higher then that is more stressful on the skin, especially when combined with harsh mantle or oil stripping ingredients. (which cleansers in most cases are).
Because the cleansers strip the skin, they remove any surface protection the skin has, to harsh ingredients – so it is very vulnerable.
(the skin acid mantle is made of skin cells, oils, and proteins, and help skin maintain its health, prevents penitration of harsh ingrediants, and germs, and plays a role in regulation of oil production, moisture holding etc)
Then you add a harsh ingredient on that “unprotected” skin – like a strong detergent, it swiftly penetrates to the uppermost skin layers and cell damage, and irritation at a cell level starts.

But some toners are a treatment, like IFP – which is fine. Paula’s Choice also has one, in her toners, or BHA or AHA liquids.

However YOU must have a cleanser of 5.0 range or less pH. If you cleanser is above 5.0 – You MUST wait 20-30 minutes after cleansing to use your BHA or AHA acids.

10 -15 minutes may not be enough, because the skin takes about 20-30 minutes to drop its pH from a high level back down to 5.0 range. If you cleanser is say 7.0 pH. Its takes skin 20-30 min too return down to 5.5.

Apply any BHA or AHA before the skin has dropped pH, means the acid (which needs a pH of 3.0 or less) must now spend minutes dropping the skin pH from a high level down to a level the acid can work at, which is 3.0 or less.

During that time, your acid does not exfoliate at all. And if it takes 20 minutes to drop that low, you are only left with 10 minutes of exfoliation action (assuming you rinse or apply another product 30 min after your acid) Exfoliation will only work the first 30 minutes of acid use. After that its really only and anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant.

(If you acid pH is over 3.0 it is ineffective. A surprising number of companys distribute acid treatments with to high a pH. 4.0 for example. Which means you have really wasted you money, because the product will have very poor exfoliation action.
Acid wash products are also poorly effective, as you rinse all the acid off, when you rinse off your cleanser. A leave on product is better.)

If you use your toner as a second step in your cleanse process, you should either cleanse twice with a mild low pH cleanser. Or use a micro fiber cloth to rinse off your cleanser. Skin should not be squeaky clean, many try to over cleanse skin. You should remove makeup, but skin should feel moist and soft when finished not stripped.

If you really feel you need a toner to finish cleaning, use a mild toner at a pH range of 5.0, with non irritant ingredients. (no alcohols, menthols, camphor’s, peppermints etc.) Paula’s Choice makes one. Nivea Visage, and Neutrogena both make mild Alcohol Free toners, that are non irritating.

Or you can make your own with distilled water, and VERY dilute Apply Cider Vinegar mix. (1/2 to 1 oz of ACV to 3 ounces of water) Stronger can be irritating and drying.

So ideally, if you don’t know pH, it should be

Cleanse (wait 30 min, unless cleanser is 5.0 pH or less, then no wait)
    Acids (wait 30 for acids to work)
    Toner Treament or liquid treatment products
    Serums (copper, HA, DMAE etc)
    Gels (deffrin, DMAE)
    Oils
    Lotions
    Creams
    Sunscreen
    Makeup

This can change a bit if you have pH sensitive activates those that cannot be layered over anything, like Retin A,.
leidon
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:44 am      Reply with quote
Hi Tangal. If you had to choose between the IFP Clarifying cleanser, Azulene or Tea Tree Cleanser from Geografx, which would you choose? Also, do you feel that w/all of these cleansers your face wouldn't be thourously cleaned of makeup/dirt if you didn't do a second wash & use of an oil? Could the second wash potentially cause stripping of your face from overwashing? Or is it ok since the ph is within an acceptable range?
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:28 pm      Reply with quote
the second wash should not strip skin because:
a) the detergent is super mild
b) pH is not high

Many people say they don't need a second wash or oil step. It depends on the cosmetic products YOU use and your skin.

I use a heavy silicone based foundation, which I noted in my review. If you use a lighter foundation, it probably not an issue for you.

I also use a primer and a sunscreen, eye liner and mascara.

My skin tends to be oily and acne prone.

If your makeup is less "sticky, thinner, less heavy - or you skin less reactive. Then adjust based on your needs.

I like the IFP best of the products you mentioned, though all are nice.
jumpingball
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
Leidon, I had similar questions before purchasing Geografx cleanser, so I asked Kim (the owner) whether the cleanser would be enough to remove MMU and waterproof s/s. Here is her response:

"In my experience, no water-activated
cleanser (any brand) is sufficient to thoroughly remove waterproof sunscreen
and mmu. That's why we sell our cleansing oils. I strongly, strongly
recommend that you remove your makeup with the cleansing oil and a cotton
ball or pad and then wash with the Azulene Gel Wash. This combination of
products gets great results for our customers and for me as well. Our gel
washes do not contain sls or any sort of detergent that would strip away
your natural moisture barrier. It is lightly foaming, but does not leave
your skin feeling taut. I feel certain that these products would be
suitable for you. You need only use the cleansing oil in the evening when
you are removing makeup. You would likely not need it in the morning and
could use just the gel wash."

HTH. Wink
leidon
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:41 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks jumpingball & Tangal. I will incorporate the IFP clarifying cleanser after the OCM, mainly b/c I don't want any oily residue to interfere with the bha/aha.
kim@ifeelpretty
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:32 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, ladies -
I just wanted to clarify that the response from Kim above (posted by jumpingball), is from Kim, the owner of Geografx - and me (Kim, the owner of IFP). LOL!
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:27 pm      Reply with quote
kim@ifeelpretty wrote:
Hi, ladies -
I just wanted to clarify that the response from Kim above (posted by jumpingball), is from Kim, the owner of Geografx - and me (Kim, the owner of IFP). LOL!

well, hello kim and kim! Laughing
kim@ifeelpretty
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:32 pm      Reply with quote
LOL - I meant to say and NOT from me (Kim, owner of IFP)...geez, I'm such a goober sometimes. Laughing
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:47 pm      Reply with quote
kim@ifeelpretty wrote:
LOL - I meant to say and NOT from me (Kim, owner of IFP)...geez, I'm such a goober sometimes. Laughing

and here i was so impressed that you had two companies! Wink ah well, one hello still stands then wave (and you're not a goober, merely a raisinet)
kim@ifeelpretty
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
Mwahahaha! Thank you for both the hello & for allowing me to be a raisinet. Wink
oriana808
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:20 am      Reply with quote
Tangal wrote:
Remember when you shower, water pH is 7.0. So it also raises the skin pH to 7.0 (which is neutral) for 20 minutes or so, that’s normal.

However YOU must have a cleanser of 5.0 range or less pH. If you cleanser is above 5.0 – You MUST wait 20-30 minutes after cleansing to use your BHA or AHA acids.

Apply any BHA or AHA before the skin has dropped pH, means the acid (which needs a pH of 3.0 or less) must now spend minutes dropping the skin pH from a high level down to a level the acid can work at, which is 3.0 or less.

During that time, your acid does not exfoliate at all. And if it takes 20 minutes to drop that low, you are only left with 10 minutes of exfoliation action (assuming you rinse or apply another product 30 min after your acid) Exfoliation will only work the first 30 minutes of acid use. After that its really only and anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant.

(If you acid pH is over 3.0 it is ineffective. A surprising number of companys distribute acid treatments with to high a pH. 4.0 for example. Which means you have really wasted you money, because the product will have very poor exfoliation action.
Acid wash products are also poorly effective, as you rinse all the acid off, when you rinse off your cleanser. A leave on product is better.)

Tangal, quick question re pH and BHA/AHA... may be a stupid one so please forgive me Shock :

If one is using a BHA/AHA cleanser with pH. 5.7 (as the only cleanser), wouldn't that be a contradiction? For one thing you would be using the cleanser with tap water (I would assume) which would be pH. 7.0. Then the cleanser itself is above pH. 5.0. Does this mean that no exfoliation is actually going to take place? Does this in fact render the BHA/AHA cleanser ineffective? If the cleanser wasn't used with water would it be any more effective?
kim@ifeelpretty
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:16 pm      Reply with quote
Not Tangal, but I can answer that question. A BHA/AHA cleanser isn't really going to do anything for the skin anyway. For a BHA/AHA product to be effective, it needs to be left on the skin for at least 30 minutes before rinsing off - and it actually works best if it isn't rinsed off at all.
oriana808
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:03 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Kim, I'm glad to find this out after I just ordered some! Don't know if it's a leave on or not yet Sad
kim@ifeelpretty
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
The place you bought it from didn't state whether it was a leave-on product or not?
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:38 pm      Reply with quote
and a 5.7 product, even as a leave on is ineffective. pH should be around 3.0 or less for exfoliation action. Higher then that and it does not work as an exfoliater.

If it is a cleanser - you don't want to use it as a leave on product. Leaving it on skin for 30 minutes, since it probably contains harse detergents which can cause skin irritation. And leaving them on the skin, is not a good thing.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:31 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |