Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Caution on propylene glycol
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
JodyJ

Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:11 pm      Reply with quote
Although this quote was taken from a veterinarian who is talking about reasons to not use commercial pet foods and the results are when taken internally, a natural alternative is probably preferable.

"propylene glycol, another common pet food ingredient, causes the destruction of red blood cells."
Essentia
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:05 am      Reply with quote
Let's think about this for just a minute. Common sense says that topical application of substances does not have the same effect as ingesting them. Plus, our skin comes into contact with all kinds of substances that, if taken internally, are harmful to minor-to-toxic degrees. The skin is a highly effective barrier to all kinds of harmful substances, bacteria, natural radiation, etc.

Additionally, "destruction of red blood cells" is not limited to propylene glycol, (if indeed that is correct). The very act of living will destroy red blood cells given enough time.

It would be helpful if discussions about cosmetic ingredients were tempered by rational thinking and some relevant context for consideration rather than tossing out meaningless non sequiturs akin to junk science.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:18 am      Reply with quote
Ditto Essentia!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:57 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Essentia.
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:02 am      Reply with quote
Very well put, Essentia.

Ari

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:18 am      Reply with quote
Jody, I had never heard that before in relation to PG and pet food. Seeing as I am getting 2 new cats mid-year I will certainly be doing a bit of googling to see what else I can find on the topic.

Whilst I personally try to avoid skincare products with PG as in ingredient, I find it difficult to believe that the pharmaceutical grade used in skincare would be so destructive. People's opinion on PG seem to be polarized and adamant.

All that said, I don't think it fair to lash out at Jody for sharing this information - regardless of whether it is correct or not. Not all of us here are in tune with what is relevant and what is not and there are many of us here (me included) who, when they first joined, would have been startled by such a statement and I don't think it fair to automatically assume that someone is posting absurdites (edit) randomly (end edit) in order to cause a stir.

It is up to the more knowledable members to educate those of us who are misinformed or uninformed (edit) in a non-condescending manner (end edit).

and a final ETA: I am sorry having a little hissy fit, but I am tired of seeing new faces to the board constantly jumped upon for making what are to some of us ridiculous statements.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:25 am      Reply with quote
tiger_tim wrote:

All that said, I don't think it fair to lash out at Jody for sharing this information - regardless of whether it is correct or not. Not all of us here are in tune with what is relevant and what is not and there are many of us here (me included) who, when they first joined, would have been startled by such a statement and I don't think it fair to automatically assume that someone is posting absurdites in order to cause a stir.

Thank you Tiger Tim, I totally agree. What she posted was not rude or inappropriate and didnt warrent such a response.

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:46 am      Reply with quote
tiger_tim, I didn't take Essentia's comments as lashing out. I just re-read them and still don't get that. Honestly.

It's not a matter of pharmaceutical grade or not. There are things we put on our skin everyday that we absolutely wouldn't put in our mouths or put in our children's or pet's mouths. Our skin's primary function is to protect us from harmful substances. That's how I read Essentia's comments.

Jody, I hope you weren't offended. Please don't be. I don't believe that was Essentia's intent. It wasn't mine, either. It's just that information (especially any form of scientific information) must be read within the confines and context of the relevant studies and conditions cited. Laypersons cannot judiciously extrapolate from "if this is true" to "then, this must also be true" without regard to the manner in which the organisms cited function.

Ari

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:54 am      Reply with quote
tiger_tim wrote:

and a final ETA: I am sorry having a little hissy fit, but I am tired of seeing new faces to the board constantly jumped upon for making what are to some of us ridiculous statements.

Or their opinion.

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:06 am      Reply with quote
Hi Ari,

I am sorry, it really was only the last line that for some reason popped a vein.

Trying to be a bit more eloquent, let me say (and in no way do I state this in direct reference to Jody, I am saying in general).. we have a lot of members on this board for whom English is not their native language and given the broad spectrum of of members, I would suspect we have members with varying levels of education.

It is probably just me, but I feel we cannot expect everyone to be able to make the distinction between fact and fiction or even be able to understand things in context. It is obvious from the language in both Essentia's and your posts that you have a high level of education and have the ability to read things in context and make the distinction between what is relevant and what is not. At the same time, it is not right to assume that everyone else has that ability.

I hope that was a bit clearer (I am so running on empty batteries at the moment that I am not sure if I am coherent).

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:29 am      Reply with quote
tiger_tim wrote:
Hi Ari,

I am sorry, it really was only the last line that for some reason popped a vein.

Trying to be a bit more eloquent, let me say (and in no way do I state this in direct reference to Jody, I am saying in general).. we have a lot of members on this board for whom English is not their native language and given the broad spectrum of of members, I would suspect we have members with varying levels of education.

It is probably just me, but I feel we cannot expect everyone to be able to make the distinction between fact and fiction or even be able to understand things in context. It is obvious from the language in both Essentia's and your posts that you have a high level of education and have the ability to read things in context and make the distinction between what is relevant and what is not. At the same time, it is not right to assume that everyone else has that ability.

I hope that was a bit clearer (I am so running on empty batteries at the moment that I am not sure if I am coherent).

No, sweetie, it's not just you. And, you are coherent. You make excellent points, as usual. I don't make any distinctions in terms of education. I have the failing of thinking if I know something then everyone must know it and tend to proceed from there.

In view of your comments, I read my second post and thought, "Dear God, I must seem so pompous and pedantic!" I write the way I talk and my vocabulary has always been my downfall in writing. I somehow don't come across as very warm and friendly, do I?

I think we all (and definitely I) need to remember that sometimes we don't come across as well in writing since others can't see our faces or read our mannerisms. We should, then, make allowances for each other and assume better intentions until proved otherwise. Smile

Ari

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:50 am      Reply with quote
"Lashing out"?

Good Grief.

I'm sorry I didnt see anything here remotely within the realm of lashing out.

No offence to anyone intended, ever, at all, here.
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:15 am      Reply with quote
Just for the record, I "reported" myself to the mods ... Rolling Eyes

I did that because I felt that I did not want to have ended up causing another huge debate on how we do/should treat each other..or whatever... and rather than saying my piece I should have aired my grievance/opinion using the report thread. Now that I have sufficiently chastised myself I am dragging my sorry butt to bed.

5% products discount

Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:17 am      Reply with quote
i'm new here and don't really know the rules yet but, ... it doesn't take a genius to read the last line of essentia's response to realize that is was a little rude and uncalled for. it's immature to talk down to someone and then look around with doe eyes like "little old me? i would neeeever say anything ruuuude!!" sorry if i'm making enemies but i'm sure that next time it will be me posting something that you guys might consider silly and i dont' want anyone jumping down my ass about it.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:58 am      Reply with quote
tiger_tim wrote:
Jody, I had never heard that before in relation to PG and pet food. Seeing as I am getting 2 new cats mid-year I will certainly be doing a bit of googling to see what else I can find on the topic.

Whilst I personally try to avoid skincare products with PG as in ingredient, I find it difficult to believe that the pharmaceutical grade used in skincare would be so destructive. People's opinion on PG seem to be polarized and adamant.

All that said, I don't think it fair to lash out at Jody for sharing this information - regardless of whether it is correct or not. Not all of us here are in tune with what is relevant and what is not and there are many of us here (me included) who, when they first joined, would have been startled by such a statement and I don't think it fair to automatically assume that someone is posting absurdites (edit) randomly (end edit) in order to cause a stir.

It is up to the more knowledable members to educate those of us who are misinformed or uninformed (edit) in a non-condescending manner (end edit).

Thank God someone finally said something. I posted a product review on this forum a few month ago and stated in my review that I had chosen to avoid petrochemicals and synthetic preservatives. Well, another member jumped down my throat and I thought it was uncalled for. We all have our own values and we all choose to make decisions which are right for us and based on personal experiences. To chime in and voice your opinion is one thing, to insult another member is another!

Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:39 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |