Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Foundation balling up on top of DMAE and C serums
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
uneprix

Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

I bought the Candessence DMAE and Triple C serums based on the posts that I read here. I am having a huge problem with my foundation balling up on top of them, and I've used this foundation (Becca Luminous Skin) for years without problem.

This is how I apply:

I wash my face and pat dry.
Apply DMAE, wait for it to set in
Apply Triple C, wait for it to set in

The I apply my foundation.

I am so frustrated because I've tried switching the order of the serums. I've also tried applying smaller amounts, and applying a moisturizer on top. I normally have a couple of other things (sunscreen, peptide serum) that I also wear, but I stopped so I could isolate the balling problem.

Has anyone else had this issue with these products? Do you have any recommendations as to other DMAE and C serums that will not ball up with my foundation?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:19 pm      Reply with quote
Really depends on which C-serum you use and which foundation you use. I use Vivier 20% and Laural Mercier Tinted Moisturizer and it doesn't ball up. I had no problem with balling up with Cellex-C too.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:42 pm      Reply with quote
Uneprix, I have the same problem with Candessence Triple C. I thought I was the only one who had this problem since everybody else solved it by shaking the bottle before every use. Now I use triple C in the evening, wait 30 minutes, then wash it away and apply moisturiser. This is the only way I can use it. Confused
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:43 pm      Reply with quote
Have you tried each of the serums individually to see which one is actually causing the problem? It might help to identify the ingredient that isn't compatible with your foundation.
BluesHeart
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:45 pm      Reply with quote
I use both Candessence C and Dmae. I apply the C first, wait 20 minutes then apply the dmae. I add a matrixyl serum on top of that, moisturizer and then BB foundation. No problems.

I've been considering the Becca. Would love to hear your experience with it.

kimberly
uneprix

Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:12 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you so much for the replies!

Wild Cat Good to know about the Vivier and Cellex-C. I will keep those in mind when I finish the Candessence.

jumpingball In reading all the raves about it, I felt like I was the only one too. I've tried shaking the bottle— it's what I do with every serum, but no luck. You know, I've taken to only wearing the triple C and DMAE at night too. I don't want to waste them, but I need something that I can also wear under my foundation.

tam Yes, when the balling first started, I went through my entire skin care routine and would apply just one product at a time to figure out what the culprit was. I found that if I applied triple C, I balled. If I applied DMAE, I balled. If I applied them together, I balled.

I had been using a series of Patricia Wexler's products, and as heavy as they were, none caused the balling. In fact, the only other time I've had an issue like this was with Chanel skincare.

I am so sad about it.

BluesHeart Ah, I'm so jealous! I've tried waiting at increased intervals between the Triple C and the DMAE, and still no luck. Your series, the two serums, a peptide and a moisturizer, is exactly what I wanted to do. I am really glad it's working for you.

As for the Becca Luminous Skin Color. I love it! I've been wearing it since Becca first opened a counter in my city, and I haven't found anything else that I like better.

It is sheer, like a tinted moisturizer. I use the shade, Porcelain, and it is perfect for my very pale skin. The LSC melts into my face, and it is so easy to blend. In fact the color choices they have are so true to match that blending isn't even necessary.

I never have a line or any sort of demarcation, and it is very moisturizing—I would not recommend it for oily skin. I know they say it's fine and that with an oily skin primer, you will be OK. But, I've had oily friends try it, and they were greasy looking within a couple of hours.

I can't say enough about it. I never feel over done with it, and it gives my skin a nice, healthy glow. If I have a blemish or such, I just use a little concealer and I'm good to go!

Thank you again, ladies for replying.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
When I first started trying Candy's Triple C and DMAE, I also had the balling up problem when I tried applying my reg moisturizer and sunscreen on top of them. I ended up changing the sunscreen, and the problem went away. But the Triple C started to solidify in to tiny crystals toward the bottom of the tube. I wasn't sure if that was something that others also experienced, or just mine.
BluesHeart
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:13 pm      Reply with quote
Uneprix,
Thank you so much for the Becca info. I'm jealous. We don't have a Becca counter here so I'll have to wait until I go to Chicago in June. I do have a friend in Knoxville where there is a counter and she's going to go investigate for me. Btw, if this could make a difference, I use emu oil mixed with HA for a moisturizer.

Kimberly
Goofygal
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:47 pm      Reply with quote
Cherisse wrote:
the Triple C started to solidify in to tiny crystals toward the bottom of the tube.

I have the sample bottle and it dripped abit when I sprayed on my palm. As I was rushing, I didn't wipe it clean and realized that it dried to power form too (like laundry powder detergent texture but finer version) the following day. Same thing happened to GoW Vit C as well (I was doing a half face test with each).

As for balling up, I had problem when using her other Vit C & Dmae together (her earlier batches). I also find that it leaves a shiny sheen which seemed that the product did not absorb well (similar to what Molly experienced for the Triple C in the other Triple C thread, if I am not wrong). Thus, i stopped using it together. Now, I am trying out her Triple C alone, and have no problem with it (no shiny sheen or balling) probably because I use Mineral make-up instead of cake or liquid foundation.

30s; Fair to Medium with yellow undertones; Combination skin - occasional breakouts, vertical brow lines, age spots, acne marks, few broken caps, tiny bumps (chicken skin); Eyes: puffy, dark circles and fine lines..... yeah, lots to fix Smile WIP
uneprix

Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:46 pm      Reply with quote
Cherisse wrote:
But the Triple C started to solidify in to tiny crystals toward the bottom of the tube. I wasn't sure if that was something that others also experienced, or just mine.

This is interesting. Thank you so much for the reply.

BluesHeart I am really excited for you to get to the Becca counter. I wish they would expand, but I know it's hard to compete as such a small line. I hope you love the foundation! The great thing is that one bottle lasts me 4-6 months, and then I can just go online to Sephora and reorder from there.

Goofygal wrote:

Now, I am trying out her Triple C alone, and have no problem with it (no shiny sheen or balling) probably because I use Mineral make-up instead of cake or liquid foundation.

If I didn't love my Becca foundation so much, I'd switch to MMU until I finished the serums. It would totally solve my problem, but I just don't like my skin as much with the MMU.

I guess I'm going to have to research some other C and DMAE serums, and order trial sizes first.

Thanks again!
ejthomas
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:15 am      Reply with quote
uneprix, I've been using the PSF dmae gel under the Alpha Derma Lipoic Acid Vit C DMAE day cream, then putting foundation straight over the top without any balling problem. Both avail at EDS. Have also used the Ultraceuticals Vitamic C-10 serum under foundation without problem (unfortunately not avail at EDS).

I'm 40 years old with normal / combo skin, fighting a legacy of bad genes and a somewhat irresponsible but fun series of poor lifestyle choices through my 20s (ok, maybe it might have stretched a bit longer than that...)
bubbleoffplumb
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:37 am      Reply with quote
uneprix

how long do you wait between products?
try a good 10 - 15 minutes.

when i have "balling up" issues (different products than the ones you are using), I wait quite a bit between products - then "pat" on my moisturizer (emu or squalane) and brush on mineral makeup with no problems.

could be the rubbing in of liquid foundation as goofygal suggested. - I'd be curious to see if different formulations work with your foundation. please post back with your findings.
LeeBee
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
I just received my Candessence order of Vit C serum and Dmae serum. I was a little nervous, but applied the Vit c first, Dmae, Obagi clear and Exfoderm, and then tinted sunscreen/moistirizer. I had no balling up whatsoever, but did shake the bottles first. I'm happy there was no balling up, as I am really anxious to use these products.
uneprix

Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
ejthomas Thank you for that. From my research on this forum, I had it narrowed down to PSF and Candessence when I chose the Candessence. I do think I'm going to test out the PSF on the next round.

bubbleoffplumb I've tried 5, 10, 20, and 30+ minutes between applications. I wanted to make sure that wasn't the problem back when I was trying to isolate the products that were causing the balling.

I've been using the Becca Foundation for 4 years now, and the only other skincare that balled up with it was Chanel.

Most recently I used Patricia Wexler's peptide serum, under eye brightening cream, deep wrinkle eye repair and Universal anti-aging moisturizer with SPF 30 and had no problems with any balling.

I've also used the Copper Serum from Dr. Pickart, La Mer- the lifting face serum, a Vit C serum who's label escapes me, Estee Lauder fruition and Advanced repair (or something like that- it comes in the brown bottle).

And others which I can't remember at this time.

I was trying to find some really good, proven products that wouldn't be so harsh on my wallet and stick with them. I will find a C and DMAE serum. It just looks like I will have some testing to do first.

I'll definitely post back with what I find. Thanks!
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:57 pm      Reply with quote
I think if I was using DMAE, I would only use it at night only and my Vit. C during the day.
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:19 pm      Reply with quote
Hi uneprix - Actually, I sometimes apply PSF DMAE on top of SkinCeuticals CE+Ferulic. It doesn't tighten my skin as much this way though. But there are times that I apply the C serum and after a while, cleanse again and THEN apply DMAE. Since l-ascorbic acid is supposed to be absorbed in 15 minutes or so, and it's claimed once absorbed it can't be washed off, I feel I'm still getting at least some if not all of the benefit while allowing the DMAE to perform optimally.

BTW, while I don't use liquid foundation (rather MMU), I DO use an oily SS and also a creamy concealer, neither of which has ever balled up while using PSF DMAE.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:11 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |