Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

The Thermostat wars have begun!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
Hubby wants the thermostat kept at 73F (84F in the summer. But, that's another story). I am absolutely freeeeezing! We have a small gas space heater in the kitchen that I go and stand over when I can't take it anymore. Last night he turned it off 'cause he.....get this......doesn't "want the gas bill to go up."

I think the man is trying to slowly kill me, I swear!

Ari

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
Very Happy Ari, get some nice, thick,porridge colour thermals. A long sleeve vest and leggings. And keep them on ALL the time. Literally.
A little knitted hat worn in bed helps a lot too.

If that doesnt make him turn up the thermostat double fast, tell your husband about how back in the day, people would wrap themselves all around with brown paper, under their clothes, at the start of the season, and not take it off - AT ALL - till the spring came. And tell him this is a good way to make sure the gas bill doesnt go up.

Failing this, my thoughts would be turning to Brandy and hot water. Laughing

brrrr. I sympathise. I'm like a cat by the fire all winter.
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:22 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Ari,

I'm afraid I'm not going to be of much help. I'm the one who is always turning down the thermostat around our house. Shock

I can't take the house heat higher than 72 degrees F ... any warmer and it will trigger a migraine. Confused During the day when I'm home and doing the dreaded housework, I keep the temperature at 69 F ... but if I'm doing a lot of sitting, I will turn it up a degree ... or put on a sweater.

I didn't used to be this way ... I used to feel the cold more than I do now that I'm 55 ... and have gone through "the change" Laughing

Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you ...

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
Great idea, catski!! DH never complains to me about the thermostat because he knows if our apartment is warm he has a greater chance of seeing a silky nightgown. If the apartment is cold, the sexy sleepwear gets put away until Spring! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:40 pm      Reply with quote
hpjrt wrote:
Hi Ari,

I'm afraid I'm not going to be of much help. I'm the one who is always turning down the thermostat around our house. Shock

I can't take the house heat higher than 72 degrees F ... any warmer and it will trigger a migraine. Confused During the day when I'm home and doing the dreaded housework, I keep the temperature at 69 F ... but if I'm doing a lot of sitting, I will turn it up a degree ... or put on a sweater.

I didn't used to be this way ... I used to feel the cold more than I do now that I'm 55 ... and have gone through "the change" Laughing

Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you ...

Mary

Dahling, I'm a tad older and I cannot TAKE the cold. I'm always cold except when I'm outside in the summer.

catski & liz, hubby wouldn't care if I wore a sweatsuit to bed. He'd think I'm being practical. HE finds practical sexy. rofl

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:59 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, how I can relate to this topic! Except I have the same issue Mary has. I'm the one turning down the thermostat. I've always liked to sleep in a cold room, but I swear DH could sleep in sauna. So he turns it up to 75 or higher, and then I come behind him and turn it down to 70 (I'd rather have it at 65 at night, but that starts too many arguments) and crack my bedroom window a bit, except on nights like last night - wind was blowing hard & it got down to 15. I've preferred the cold my whole life (I HATE to sweat!) - even more so now that I have night sweats sometimes, and hot flashes during the day occassionally.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:08 pm      Reply with quote
In the winter our thermostat is set at 68 degrees. Been doing this since President Jimmy Carter urged all Americans to turn down the heat due to the oil shortage crisis in the late 70's. I wonder if this is why we rarely get sick - it's too cold for germs to live here.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:32 pm      Reply with quote
My boyfriend won't let me touch the thermostat any longer and he's right! I have no "middle ground" ... I'm always putting it up or down to the extreme. If I'm cold, I'll crank it way up and then it will get too hot and vice versa. I have no restraint! Whereas he always seem to set it just right. Smile
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:22 pm      Reply with quote
I can't stand being in a room where you can feel a chill, but I also can't stand sleeping in a room that's too hot, because I'll wake up with stuffed sinuses and a headache.

I personally throw off A LOT of heat, my hands and feet are always hot to the touch. On super cold nights, if my guy is staying over, he likes me to get in bed first - he says its like back in the "olden days" when people would put hot rocks in bed to warm it up (first of all, I don't know if this was actually done, and second, he'd never know what the "olden days" were like anyhow! Sheesh! Rolling Eyes ).

Aunt Ari, I asked if I could bring my cats when I move in. You might want to reconsider, even if the dog might try to eat them. They are SIMPLY AMAZING at keeping you warm during the night! I gauge how low the temperature gets by how many cats I have crammed into my armpits when I wake up in the morning - one cat under each armpit means it was a very cold night! Laughing Image Image
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:59 pm      Reply with quote
MermaidGirl wrote:
Aunt Ari, I asked if I could bring my cats when I move in. You might want to reconsider, even if the dog might try to eat them. They are SIMPLY AMAZING at keeping you warm during the night! I gauge how low the temperature gets by how many cats I have crammed into my armpits when I wake up in the morning - one cat under each armpit means it was a very cold night! Laughing Image Image

mmmmm...wonder if I could ship the dogs off somewhere for the winter. Let me think about this a little more......

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:25 pm      Reply with quote
Arielle wrote:
... mmmmm...wonder if I could ship the dogs off somewhere for the winter. Let me think about this a little more......

Just THINK how ticked off they'd be when they come home in Spring time and smell CAT everywhere! They may never speak to you again!
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:43 am      Reply with quote
Hi MermaidGirl,

Actually your boyfriend is almost right ... except it was usually hot bricks. They would put the bricks next to the fire ... and then wrap it in a "piece of flannel" and put it in the bed. [I guess the hot water bottle hadn't been invented yet ... or hot water was too precious to waste on a bottle in the bed! Laughing ]

There was also, in the homes of the very rich, things called "bed warmers" ... which was a large-ish "flip top" brass pan with a very long wooden handle.

Hot coals would be put into the pan, the lid [which had holes or slits in it] would be left down ... and the pan would be passed between the sheets until those sheets were warmed. Servants did this ... naturally.

Of course, in those days, there was no such thing as central heating ... nor did the warmth from the fire always heat the entire room! Shock Chances are, there were only scatter mats on the floor ... if that ... and the insulation of the house was poor ... at best!

So ... as you say ... your boyfriend wouldn't really know the "olden days" ... since he was born after all those inadequacies had been rectified! Laughing

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:56 am      Reply with quote
At my parents house they keep the heat set at 62. Yes, that's in the winter. So, I've really become used to cold temperatures. I've also quite a collection of big sweaters, sweatshirts, and fleeces. I don't like it higher than 70 degrees.

My boyfriend jokes I'm coldblooded (or the new one, Eskimo) but he's probably not wrong. WHenever I go to the doctor I'm always below 98.6!
tidieu
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:13 am      Reply with quote
Arielle wrote:

Dahling, I'm a tad older and I cannot TAKE the cold. I'm always cold except when I'm outside in the summer.

Same for me too! I am much younger but I can not take the cold either. My hands and feet are always too cold. Sad
queenmary
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:13 am      Reply with quote
tidieu wrote:
Arielle wrote:

Same for me too! I am much younger but I can not take the cold either. My hands and feet are always too cold. Sad

the same for me too. the man always feel heater than the woman.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:58 pm      Reply with quote
well, maybe you should give him more of cold drink so he will feel the chill and you take more of the warm drink....
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:57 pm      Reply with quote
fishzebby wrote:
well, maybe you should give him more of cold drink so he will feel the chill and you take more of the warm drink....

Oh, he already feels the "chill". rofl

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:42 pm      Reply with quote
We might we the weird ones here. We normally don't turn on the heat unless it gets in the low 60's or lower in the house. We normally use the electric blanket in the family room when we are watching tv or surfing on the internet. We do turn off the heat at night when we sleep.

We know if it is a cold night when the cat wanted to be under the covers Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:00 pm      Reply with quote
mtview wrote:
We might we the weird ones here. We normally don't turn on the heat unless it gets in the low 60's or lower in the house. We normally use the electric blanket in the family room when we are watching tv or surfing on the internet. We do turn off the heat at night when we sleep.

We know if it is a cold night when the cat wanted to be under the covers Very Happy

Laughing Same at my house! When the cat is under the covers with me, I know it's time to turn up the heat a bit.
kalegr
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:44 am      Reply with quote
tam wrote:
Quote:
Same at my house! When the cat is under the covers with me, I know it's time to turn up the heat a bit.

My Devon Rex feels the cold more than I do, she's the only cat I know that happily sits in front of a fan heater!
cloud_9
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:06 pm      Reply with quote
My bf and I fight about this too. Right now the thermostat is set at 64 and it is about 62 in the living room. So I wear pants and slipper socks and a thick robe and sit under a comforter when watching tv. And in the summer (we live in texas!) it's set at 86. He just can't stand to spend money on the electric bill. But there are plenty of other things he'll waste it on! very frustrating! Rolling Eyes
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:12 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |