Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml)
Reaction to copper peptides?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:46 pm      Reply with quote
I'm trying out a new moisturizer with copper peptides. My face turned a bit pink in spots after the first 2 applications, but today was my third application and my face turned bright pink and has remained that way all day -- and my face is feeling quite dry.

Is this something normal with copper peptides that will lessen as my face gets used to it, or some kind of allergic reaction? I don't think I overapplied, and I did not use any other products on my face, and I haven't changed my cleanser.

If it's normal, how long will this last? Any suggestions for dealing with the redness?

Did an EDS search but didn't turn up anything...

Thanks!
maiea
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:12 pm      Reply with quote
There's 2 possibilities: you over applied, or you are sensitive to copper. What copper cream did you use? Neutrogena, Neova or SkinBio? Skin Bio copper creams are quite strong, and if you used those, it may be that it was too much. To start, try using the copper only 2-3x a week for the first 2 weeks or so and not more until your skin is used to it. Also, if the cream is too concentrated, try applying 1/2 of what you used to see if it gets better.

If you used Neutrogena or Neova, their products have a lot less copper, and if you are reacting, it is possible you are sensitive to copper.
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:56 am      Reply with quote
Hi, maiea.

The one I'm using is skingenic. Here's a link to the product on their website, but I just noticed that the ingredients they list don't match what's on the box of the sample I'm using.

http://skingenic.com/product.php?productid=1&cat=1&page=1

My box has about twice as many ingredients (more than 20 - and the first one listed on the website isn't even on there), and copper peptides is the 4th or 5th ingredient from the bottom. The first three ingredients are water, safflower oil, and glycerin.

Since I only have a sample, I've been using it sparingly - maximum 1/8 tsp for my entire face. Is that too much?

Yes, maybe I should only use it 2-3x a week to start. And my face feels so dry right now I don't even want to think about using it again too soon!

Thanks, maiea.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:02 am      Reply with quote
It is also possible that one of the other ingredients is causing the problem. Idebenone in particular stands out when I look at the ingredient list. It seems that some people have bad reactions to this ingredient while others have no problems.

If you search the forum for idebenone or prevage you can read about other's experiences with this ingredient.
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:16 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaL wrote:
It is also possible that one of the other ingredients is causing the problem. Idebenone in particular stands out when I look at the ingredient list. It seems that some people have bad reactions to this ingredient while others have no problems.

If you search the forum for idebenone or prevage you can read about other's experiences with this ingredient.

Thanks, Theresa. I will check that out.

Idebenone is listed first on the ingredient list as I recall (the site is down, as I write this, so can't check), but it's 12th on the box of the sample I have. Now I wonder which list accurately reflects the product sample I have. The box says regenerating moisturizer, same as is on the website.

In any case, my face is glad to have a rest from that creme. I'll give it another try in 2-3 days.
maiea
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:05 am      Reply with quote
montrealgal - I have to agree, Idebenone is known to irritate some people, and personally, DMAE irritates my skin to heck! It's very possible that it's the other ingredients in the cream that is causing the problems you are experiencing, and not the copper.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:59 am      Reply with quote
montrealgal wrote:
TheresaL wrote:

Thanks, Theresa. I will check that out.

Idebenone is listed first on the ingredient list as I recall (the site is down, as I write this, so can't check), but it's 12th on the box of the sample I have. Now I wonder which list accurately reflects the product sample I have. The box says regenerating moisturizer, same as is on the website.

In any case, my face is glad to have a rest from that creme. I'll give it another try in 2-3 days.

The website seems to list only "key ingredients". The list on the box would be the complete ingredient list and the accurate one. 12th on the list sounds reasonable for an ingredient like idebenone.

Please update when you try this again.
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
I did a search here on idebenone and saw how it is a problem for many, so I will proceed with caution!

One thing I'm wondering... I had only used the product 3x (morning, night, morning - over a day-and-a- half) but the skin on my face feels rougher (but not drier). Is this part of the thickening process that CPs are suppose to cause? Would I experience that after only 3 applications? My face felt so rough and raw last night that I put the calming creme I've been using for my dry hands and feet on my face. LOL Surprisingly, my skin looked pretty good when I woke up!

If the roughness indicates a thickening process is taking place, I would be more motivated to see if I can wear this product, or another CP product. I have very thin skin on my face with tons of broken caps to show for it.

Are there CP products that don't contain idebenone, or do the two go hand-in-hand?

Thanks, maiea, thanks, Theresa - for your help and suggestions. Yes, I'll update after trying again!

wave ~ montrealgal
maiea
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:52 pm      Reply with quote
montrealgal wrote:

One thing I'm wondering... I had only used the product 3x (morning, night, morning - over a day-and-a- half) but the skin on my face feels rougher (but not drier). Is this part of the thickening process that CPs are suppose to cause?

Are there CP products that don't contain idebenone, or do the two go hand-in-hand?

Most definitely not to the first question. When I found my skin growing to seem "firmer and more resilient" with Copper, it was a very gradual process over the course of several months. The texture *was* not as fine as before, but it's nothing like what you described.

You can get First generation Copper Peptides by themselves from Neutrogena (drugstore, look for their Visibly Firming line), but Neutrogena has the least % concentration of Copper Peptides. The next source would be Neova, which is a bit tougher to come by - but google Neova and ProCyte, the parent company for their website.

Second generation Copper Peptides can be bought from Skin Biology http://www.skinbiology.ca/ They're also relatively inexpensive. If you go with this company I recommend the red label CP serum and the blue labeled Exfol Serum to start - some people find they break out from some of the cream formulas. And you have to start very slowly since their stuff is super concentrated - 2-3 times a week at only 1-4 drops of CP serum for your whole face (may dilute in water).
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:44 am      Reply with quote
maiea wrote:
montrealgal wrote:

One thing I'm wondering... I had only used the product 3x (morning, night, morning - over a day-and-a- half) but the skin on my face feels rougher (but not drier). Is this part of the thickening process that CPs are suppose to cause?

Most definitely not to the first question. When I found my skin growing to seem "firmer and more resilient" with Copper, it was a very gradual process over the course of several months. The texture *was* not as fine as before, but it's nothing like what you described.

Thanks, maiea. This is good to know. And I ended up with dry skin afterall -- got the flakies last night. Once my moisturizer is washed off, my face returns to feeling raw until I put moisturizer on again. My face really stung when I put my vitamin C serum on last night, which it usually doesn't. I have nothing else to contribute these changes to except the creme I tried. I'm not sure I will give the product a second chance...

Quote:
You can get First generation Copper Peptides by themselves from Neutrogena (drugstore, look for their Visibly Firming line), but Neutrogena has the least % concentration of Copper Peptides. The next source would be Neova, which is a bit tougher to come by - but google Neova and ProCyte, the parent company for their website.

Second generation Copper Peptides can be bought from Skin Biology http://www.skinbiology.ca/ They're also relatively inexpensive. If you go with this company I recommend the red label CP serum and the blue labeled Exfol Serum to start - some people find they break out from some of the cream formulas. And you have to start very slowly since their stuff is super concentrated - 2-3 times a week at only 1-4 drops of CP serum for your whole face (may dilute in water).

I appreciate this info. Now I'm thinking I will start out with the Neutrogena if I decided to try another CP product (that doesn't have the idebenone, assuming that's the problem ingredient). I just checked it out on MUA and the reviews were decent, although it sounds like it may not be moisturizing enought for my normal skin with its occasional dehyrated patches. But I'll take a look at the product next time I go shopping. I'll also check out the others you talked about.

A question though: what do you mean by first vs second generation CPs?

Thanks again, maiea. wave

~montrealgal
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:17 am      Reply with quote
montrealgal wrote:
A question though: what do you mean by first vs second generation CPs?

Thanks again, maiea. wave

~montrealgal

(I'm not Maiea Smile but... HTH - Molly)

Quote:

Product confusion!!! Which to use?
There are two types of copper peptide used in skincare products which causes some confusion; First generation CPs which are used in most products including Renova and Neutrogena and second generation CPs which are only used in Skinbio’s products and they have slightly different properties (so see note below about what you can use them with). Both were invented by Doctor Pickart who first worked for Procyte and then set up Skinbio (www.skinbio.com). More peer reviewed tests have been carried out on the ‘first generation’ CPs, but the products which use them have lower percentages than were used in those tests. The second generation CPs (Skinbio’s) only have tests behind them to prove healing not anti-aging so we can only assume that these will reduce wrinkles, but they do have the same percentages of the active in them.

What can’t you use them with
First generation CPs (e.g.Neova/Neutrogena) are not stable when used with acids so you cannot combine them with AHAs, BHAs, Retin A etc.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=162133#162133

Embarassed oops! "including RENOVA and Neutrogena" - Renova should read NEOVA as some of you have pointed out.
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:58 am      Reply with quote
I hate to say this, especially having seen the price, but I suspect this 'creme' is pretty rubbish.

It is well known that CPs and vit C are not compatible. CPs neutralise vit c on the skin, so any company that formulates a product with the two in it either doesn't know what they are doing, or, (more likely) bunging a load of 'hot' and 'must have' ingredients in the same product to make it sound better.

Just my opinion though Cool

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:24 am      Reply with quote
Hi Molly,

I remembered there was a write-up on CPs but I had a heck of a time finding it. I didn't realize that it's now part of the FAQ Index!

Thanks for the info and the link! Smile

~montrealgal
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:32 am      Reply with quote
guapagirl wrote:
I hate to say this, especially having seen the price, but I suspect this 'creme' is pretty rubbish.

It is well known that CPs and vit C are not compatible. CPs neutralise vit c on the skin, so any company that formulates a product with the two in it either doesn't know what they are doing, or, (more likely) bunging a load of 'hot' and 'must have' ingredients in the same product to make it sound better.

Just my opinion though Cool

Molly also mentioned that incompatibility in her write-up on CPs in the link above. I suppose though that the creme might still be effective CP-wise, just not vit C-wise.

In any case, I'm still working on getting my skin back to what it was before trying this product!

Thanks, guapagirl! Smile

~montrealgirl
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:44 pm      Reply with quote
An update...

The roughness seems all but gone, but I've been left with super dry, flakey skin Sad

I've been trying everything short of vaseline to get my face back to what it was before using this product. Like I said, I hadn't tried anything else new (and I've been eating very healthy, so diet's not a factor) so I have nothing else to attribute the problems to.

Hard to believe that just three applications of a product could mess my skin up so badly and for so long. <sigh> Has an experience like this happened to anyone else?

And if anyone has any suggestions on what I could do to get my skin back to normal, please let me know!

montrealgal

P.S. I will not be trying this product again. The rest of the sample goes in the trash!
FaithTruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:50 pm      Reply with quote
Exfoliate to get rid of the dead skin and use emu oil to heal
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:38 am      Reply with quote
FaithTruth wrote:
Exfoliate to get rid of the dead skin and use emu oil to heal

Hi FaithTruth,

Thanks for your suggestions.

I try to avoid scrubs since my skin is sensitive (lots of broken caps) so I've use bha and aha creams, but the flakiness and dryness are back within 24 hours.

I'm desperate enough that I'm going to try a gentle scrub tonight, though.

Emu oil doesn't seem to work for me. Would aloe vera be a good alternative? Or jojoba oil?

montrealgal
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:21 pm      Reply with quote
An update:

My face is back to 'normal' (i.e. the way it was before trying this product).

I tried a lot of things in the process and there may have been a cumulative effect, but I think my vitamin c serum and the gentle orange scrub from Clarins really helped.

The sample of the original product is in the trash!

Thanks again, everyone! Smile

montrealgal
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:50 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |