Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Mineral Makeup Colors/Shades
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:34 pm      Reply with quote
After searching and sifting through many posts to try to find the best color/shade comparisons among MMU brands that correspond to my skintone and coloring, I found it to be somewhat arduous in the searching-the-EDS-forum sort of way. Idea I thought I would start this thread to hopefully simplify this process for anyone else in a similar situation...

If you use MMU, please answer the following:

1. Your skin UNDERTONE: Cool, Warm Gold, Warm Yellow, or Neutral

2. Your skin INTENSITY LEVEL: Fair, Fairly Light, Light, Light Medium, Medium, Medium Deep, or Deep

3. Your NATURAL HAIR COLOR AND EYE COLOR

4. The BRANDS OF MMU you have tried and how well each brand's respective color(s) match your skin.

---------------------------
keywords (another attempt to help those that use the search function either through EDS or google): MMU color MMU colors Mineral Makeup color Mineral Makeup colors MMU shade Mineral Makeup shades color match color matching

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
I'll go first...

Neutral
Fairly Light
Med Blonde hair, blue eyes

JI Bisque- was the best match yet a bit too yellow
JI Warm Silk- close but too orange
JI Light Beige- too cool!
JI Ivory- right tones but WAY too pale

True Cosmetics- Fair #1- the BEST match of any MMU I've tried so far

AL 1N- right tone but too pale
AL 2N- best match
AL 1C,2C- too cool
AL 1W, 2W- too warm (orangy)
AL 1Y, 2Y- too yellow
(AL= Aromaleigh)

MB N1- right tone, too pale
MB N2- good match but I still felt I looked a bit pastey
MB N2 & N3 (70/30)- good match, still looked a bit pastey. Right tone though.
MB N2 & N3 (50/50)- best match but something was a little off...I still looked a bit pastey. Again, right tone.
MB N3- too dark, right tone
(MB= Mineral Boutique)

PL - creamy natural or buff- were the best matches but I can't remember which was better than the other

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:01 pm      Reply with quote
Amnis, have you tried going with the best possible MMU match you can find, even if you're looking a bit pastey with it, and then using a bronzer mixed with some finishing powder to help "give you back some life"?

I've been experimenting with doing that. I love Pure Luxe's April's Mix and You Glow, Girl! finishing powders as well as their light bronzer (I think its called Sunkissed? Though, that may be the light bronzer in UGloGirl's line - so confusing!). The UGG bronzer, like all of their foundations, is more "glowy" than PL's and I actually kind of like the way it looks, but always use only a little bit of it mixed with the PL bronzer.

What I do is sprinkle some bronzer on a palette (a small plate will do) and tone it down with some of the April's Mix or You Glow, Girl! finishing powder and a bit of silk powder as well. Mix it together with the end of your brush, swirl, tap and lightly dust it over your forehead, cheeks, nose, chin and around jawline, and down your neck. You don't have to use a lot, just enough to tone down the pale, pastey look of the MMU. I then set it with a good, even spray of Avene Thermal Water and let it dry, then run a clean brush over the whole thing to take off any slight spotting that might have been caused by the water and to buff everything together one last time. So far, I like the look because, like I said, it takes the edge off the pastey look without looking too fake - its not a bronzer finish and its not a powder finish, but a nice combo of the two. Plus, it kills that "whited-out, flat canvas" look I sometimes get from using a pale MMU.

Anyhow, just a thought - you might want to give it a try. Cool
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:06 pm      Reply with quote
I haven't tried many, but of those I have ...

First of all ... about me:
(Probably) Fairly Light, cool complexion
Blue eyes
Medium Brown Hair

Amazing Cosmetics
Ultra Light - this was a really nice match, although I think it turned a bit orange on me as the day went on.

Everyday Minerals
Cool Fair - very good colour match

Alima
C-0 - Much too pale, nearly white(ish) on me
C-1 - Still very pale
N-0 - Better, but still slightly too light. I could get away with wearing this though and infact, am going to use up this sample.
N-1 - This one is a perfect fit and the one I will reorder.

* note: even though I'm generally a "cool" and usually need the lightest colours, with Alima I found the neutral colours give just a bit more of a natural colour for me and the cools are just too white on me.

HTH!
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:43 am      Reply with quote
Great idea, Amnis! Ok, about me:
Blue Eyes
Medium Brown Hair
Undertone: somewhere in between cool and warm/neutral

Every Day Minerals:
Cool Fair: This was the closest match for me from this brand, but it was still too orangy for me
Neutral Fair: Darker and more orange than cool fair. Bad match for me.
Golden Fair: Darker and more orange than Neutral fair. This stuff was so dark on me, it looked liked bronzer!

Cory Cosmetics:
Pale Beige, Frosted Cream, Fair Beige and Creamed Peach: Don't remember the specifics on these shades, but they were definitely the most unwearable bunch of greys, yellows, and whites that I've had on my face

Meow Cosmetics:
Inquisitive Siamese: Too dark and too yellow
Inquisitive Mau: Shade is a decent color match, but too chalky

Lumiere:
Fairly/Light Cool:
This seems like a decent color match, and it's light enough for my skin, but it's not a good match--- I have a foundation line at my chin when I wear it. Too cool/pink
Fairly/Light Warm: Too orange and too dark
Fairly/Light Neutral: Even darker than than the Warm, looks like bronzer on me

U Glo Girl:
N 0.50:
This is a good match for my skin. If I weren't wearing Alima, I'd probably wear this.

Bare Escentuals:
Fair:
Waaaaaay too dark (and too shimmery, ugh!) for me. Looked like bronzer.

Alima:
A quick word about Alima. I ordered all of their lightest shades--- C 0, W 0, and N 0. They were all so nice and so skin-true that it took me a full week of testing before I decided which I actually liked the best. With Alima, for the first time in my life, I can get a foundation that matches my skin perfectly.
C 0: This color is very white. It's very close to being a match for me, but it's just the slightest bit too pale
W 0: This color is slightly darker than the C 0. It's also very close to being a match for me, but it's a shade too dark. When I order my Alima foundation I actually have them mix C 0 and W 0, and I get the perfect color.
N 0: Slightly darker than W 0 so a bit too dark for me, but still not unnatural looking

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
1. Your skin UNDERTONE: Warm, but not yellow toned or olive toned with rosy cheeks

2. Your skin INTENSITY LEVEL: Light medium (I'm a pale asian-pakistani/indian descent, not oriental asian)

3. Your NATURAL HAIR COLOR AND EYE COLOR Black hair, brown eyes.

Lilylolo
Popcorn was perfect for my skin. Its one of the peach shades. These shades suit me MUCH more than the usual warm (which still have too much pink in) and the yellow/gold toned, which are far too yellow for me.
Warm Peach was far too light, it would be suitable for pretty pale ladies imo
Sahara Waaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy too yellow!

Pure Luxe
Warm Honey was nice in that it was about the right darkness/paleness, but it still had slightly too yellow an undertone.

Everyday Minerals
Golden (warm?) Light was too light, but seemed to have the right undertones
Golden(Warm?) Medium was too dark, and had too much of a pink undertone great coverage for both though. Less natural looking on than Lilylolo imo. Good for a more made up look.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:30 pm      Reply with quote
MermaidGirl wrote:
Amnis, have you tried going with the best possible MMU match you can find, even if you're looking a bit pastey with it, and then using a bronzer mixed with some finishing powder to help "give you back some life"?

I've been experimenting with doing that. I love Pure Luxe's April's Mix and You Glow, Girl! finishing powders as well as their light bronzer (I think its called Sunkissed? Though, that may be the light bronzer in UGloGirl's line - so confusing!). The UGG bronzer, like all of their foundations, is more "glowy" than PL's and I actually kind of like the way it looks, but always use only a little bit of it mixed with the PL bronzer.

What I do is sprinkle some bronzer on a palette (a small plate will do) and tone it down with some of the April's Mix or You Glow, Girl! finishing powder and a bit of silk powder as well. Mix it together with the end of your brush, swirl, tap and lightly dust it over your forehead, cheeks, nose, chin and around jawline, and down your neck. You don't have to use a lot, just enough to tone down the pale, pastey look of the MMU. I then set it with a good, even spray of Avene Thermal Water and let it dry, then run a clean brush over the whole thing to take off any slight spotting that might have been caused by the water and to buff everything together one last time. So far, I like the look because, like I said, it takes the edge off the pastey look without looking too fake - its not a bronzer finish and its not a powder finish, but a nice combo of the two. Plus, it kills that "whited-out, flat canvas" look I sometimes get from using a pale MMU.

Anyhow, just a thought - you might want to give it a try. Cool

Embarassed oops- I missed this post (sorry Mermaid). Thanks for the suggestion! No, I havn't ever tried that. I'll hopefully be receiving some bronzers to try from Alima so I will give it a whirl. Thanks again. Smile

amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:25 am      Reply with quote
amnis wrote:
I'll go first...

Neutral
Fairly Light
Med Blonde hair, blue eyes

JI Bisque- was the best match yet a bit too yellow
JI Warm Silk- close but too orange
JI Light Beige- too cool!
JI Ivory- right tones but WAY too pale

True Cosmetics- Fair #1- the BEST match of any MMU I've tried so far

AL 1N- right tone but too pale
AL 2N- best match
AL 1C,2C- too cool
AL 1W, 2W- too warm (orangy)
AL 1Y, 2Y- too yellow
(AL= Aromaleigh)

MB N1- right tone, too pale
MB N2- good match but I still felt I looked a bit pastey
MB N2 & N3 (70/30)- good match, still looked a bit pastey. Right tone though.
MB N2 & N3 (50/50)- best match but something was a little off...I still looked a bit pastey. Again, right tone.
MB N3- too dark, right tone
(MB= Mineral Boutique)

PL - creamy natural or buff- were the best matches but I can't remember which was better than the other

UPDATE to my MMU color matches:

Alima MMU (Satin Matte Foundation):
N2 (Satin)- a really good match*
N1 (Chiffon)- also a good match*
* I use the Satin as a base layer then the Chiffon along my jaw line, chin, around and on my nose, around my mouth and in between my eyes (sort of opposite to where I would apply bronzer). I also find that it's good if I mix the two shades 50/50 but I still touch up with the Chiffon. If I just use the Chiffon I look too washed out.
W1(Almond)- too orangy on me alone. I guess it sort of works to mix in a little bit of this with my neutral shades (I'm still playing around with this).
W2 (Cardamom)- same as W1 but more orangy.

UGloGirl MMU:
N1 (Vanilla Beige)- a really good match**
N0.75 (Debutant)- also a really good match but a bit on the too light side if worn alone**
** Similarly to the Alima, I use the Vanilla Beige as a base and then touch up with the Debutant.
W1 (Tender Creme)- I suppose if there were no other options for me this shade I could get away with but it's still a bit too orangy.

amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
The next morning after I posted the above post I thought to myself, why am I applying the Alima N1 in this weird apply it opposite to where I would apply bronzer method when it seems like the N1 is applied to most of my face anyway? So I tried applying it again by itself and wearing it for the day to see how I like it. I guess I am just so afraid of looking pasty like what happened about a year ago when I tried other MMU brands so I was reluctant to try using just the N1. N1 actually matches my neck perfectly and lightens my face to match it and the rest of my body better.

So to update/correct the above, I am a N1 Chiffon in Alima.

System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:30 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |