Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Make-up tips needed
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
starter2expert
5% products discount

Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:37 am      Reply with quote
I rarely did make-up before, but I think it is the time for me to learn and start it. Since I have totally no idea about it, any sugestions what is the best way should I begin with? Thanks a lot! Bad Grin
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:42 am      Reply with quote
If your pores clog easily, maybe you should try start using Mineral Makeup. You can do a search on the forum there are several brands you can choose from.

I think most ladies would agree that eyeliners and mascara are very important. There are many threads discussing various favorites.

5% products discount

Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:57 am      Reply with quote
Hi Cat, thank you very much for your advice. My pores do clog easily and I used to have acne problem. That's also the reason I didn't put on makeup. My skin is also quite oily. I tried to pun on some makeup before and the whole face become really shiny. I am not quite sure if it because the cosmetics are not suitable for me or the way I put them on is not correct.

I did do some search for the Mineral Makeup and found out TRUE has a pretty good review. But I couldn't figure out the color, and they don't have store in Canada, where I can try it on. I tried Jane Iredale Amber, it seems ok on me. I want to try TRUE this time.
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:12 pm      Reply with quote
Mineral makeup is a great choice for you. Smile When I started using mineral makeup years ago, I was amazed at how much better my skin was. I had fewer breakouts and when I did have one, it seemed to heal much faster. There are so many different formulations out there, that I'm sure that you can find one that will help to control the oil too.
starter2expert
5% products discount

Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks a lot, tam!

It sounds great! I will try it definitely! But do you have any brand to recommand?
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:58 pm      Reply with quote
There a quite a few that ship to Canada. I've used all of these: www.pureluxecosmetics.com www.alimacosmetics.com www.raesinimages.com www.valeriebeauty.com

All of them have quality products and excellent customer service -- you can't go wrong with any of them. Smile It's just a matter of finding the color and formulation that works best for you. Very Happy
starter2expert
5% products discount

Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
Great tam! Useful information! I will study it and try out!
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:28 pm      Reply with quote
But how do you ladies learn professional makeup application? Are there good books or videos to learn how to do it correctly or creatively? Especially for eyes, since there are so many variations and looks that can be achieved for the eyes and shadows etc. That's the hardest area for me to get right.
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
My suggestin is to start by keeping it natural until you learn which colours suit you best and how to blend them. Invest in good quality brushes as they will make application easier as well as making your makeup look better. Also, make sure to choose the right makeup for your skin type; it's better to choose good quality makeup even when just starting out as it will look better and not aggravate your skin. Most importantly, get help choosing the best foundation shade for your skin tone. If your base looks off, so will the rest of your makeup. Hope that helps! Make sure to have fun with your makeup too - it's fun to play with colours! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:07 pm      Reply with quote
This website http://www.beautynomics.com/category/how-tos/ has a bunch of video tutorials from basic beginner techniques to more advanced ones. My favs are the ones by renowned makeup artist Elke von Freudenberg. HTH!
lorettapy
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
U may start using make-up base + loose powder if you don't have much blemishes on face. It will instantly brighten up your face yet giving very natural look. And then you can try on lipsticks and eye shadow. Smile
my sushi secret
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:47 pm      Reply with quote
dollbird wrote:
This website http://www.beautynomics.com/category/how-tos/ has a bunch of video tutorials from basic beginner techniques to more advanced ones. My favs are the ones by renowned makeup artist Elke von Freudenberg. HTH!

Those videos are great! I love the bronzer technique of using your fingers around your ear, and dabbing primer on instead of rubbing it in.
starter2expert
5% products discount

Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
BYRG, I totally agree with you. I don't even know when I should use which brush. I just use whatever I like and which may not be right!

Anyway, thank you for all the information and I am still under practising process. Razz
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:00 am      Reply with quote
I would suggest going to a beauty counter and getting a MUA to apply it for you.
Choose a counter that would suit your look - in Sydney that is usually Laura Mercier for a natural fresh look and Dior for an overdone caked look.
starter2expert
5% products discount

Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
Oh Emma! I like what you said "overdone caked look" Laughing Bad Grin Razz
sweetreat
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:16 pm      Reply with quote
Try going to those make up counters and get them to do a makeover for you! I find that the best way to learn application techniques that actually work for me, altho I usually go with a thing or two that I've been eyeing to get...

Also try google for specktra.net, they have a tutorial section where everybody shares their tips on a certain look....

HTH!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:00 pm      Reply with quote
Bobbi Brown has a really great book on application. I think she just came out with a second book aimed at teens (beginners.)

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:38 am      Reply with quote
Talking of Bobbi Brown, the SAs on their counter are usually fab. For a refundable against purchase fee, they'll go through an entire "look" with you, helping you learn to apply the make-up. They then give you a chart with a picture of a face and the colours they used on you, so that you can reproduce the effect at home.

I did this several years ago and found the experience to be most helpful.
starter2expert
5% products discount

Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:02 am      Reply with quote
Ladies, do you know if there is any store or counter of Bobbi Brown in Vancouver, BC?
poofybabypenguin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:22 pm      Reply with quote
I think you should start with easy steps before going all out. Maybe learn to groom the eyebrows, because they're essential to bringing your face together. Also, a natural lipgloss can be easily applied. Then work towards eyeliner/mascara. If you have good skin, don't even bother with foundation during the day. If you must, use mineral makeup because it is more mistake-proof than liquid foundation.

Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:53 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |