Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Manuka honey UMF 20+ for skin - my experiment
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:29 am      Reply with quote
miranets wrote:
The ShopNZ website could subsidise shipping since they are making a profit from the honey too :P

Ah, right. I see. (I was actually worried that perhaps they might use a really cheap shipping method that would either a) ship by sea and therefore expose it to higher temps or, b) it would take longer for it to arrive here or, both.) Sorry.... I'm probably worrying for nothing! Anxious Rolling Eyes

And in terms of shipping overseas, if it's airmailed then it would be fairly cold up at the elevation planes fly so shouldn't be effected by the heat.

Thanks Miranets Smile

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
Just thought I would pass along this info...

I emailed shopnewzealand.com.nz and asked them what they thought of shipping and the possibility of the honey being exposed to heat and here is the response I got:

"Thank you for your email. Actually, as long as Honey or Royal Jelly is not put in the Sun directly; the quality and nutrition won't be damaged. We have shipped many Honey products to the US before, no one customer ever reported that the product was deteriorated. You know, the package won't be enclosed in the sun during delivery.

Therefore, you do not need to worry about that the temperatures will have a negative impact on the quality of the item."

This along with what miranets said (that only temps as hot as cooking would compromise the honey) makes me feel better. Smile

ETA:
shopnewzealand's shipping info to the US:
"We use air freight. If you choose express courier, we will use FedEx that takes 4-8 working days to deliver. Standard post takes 8-13 working days to deliver to you."

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
lorettapy
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:32 am      Reply with quote
I just have warm Manuka honey water in the morning, don't know if it could be a skincare product. Thanks for sharing.
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:17 am      Reply with quote
I found the comvita UMF 20 in my local health food shop it was £20.95 if there are any UK users interested. Shock
I am quite happy with my UMF 10 tesco. I just don't think I could justify 20 quid for a jar of honey. Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:06 pm      Reply with quote
loopylori wrote:
I found the comvita UMF 20 in my local health food shop it was £20.95 if there are any UK users interested. Shock
I am quite happy with my UMF 10 tesco. I just don't think I could justify 20 quid for a jar of honey. Laughing

"tesco"... that sounds familiar... maybe I've seen that name when I've been over seas or here in the US. (But I know for sure I've never seen tesco manuka honey).

Anyway, I have yet another update to my endeavor to find active manuka honey (I might have given up already but I want to get my hands on some to see if it helps my mom who has a lot of trouble with acid reflux etc etc):

I emailedwww.manukahoneyusa.com to ask them where they get their honey, if they have a location in NZ where they "harvest" it and then have it shipped to their Florida, USA location to sell or if they have some other manufacturer send them honey and then repackage it under their name. I also asked if their findings were only based on purely customer feedback or if they had clinical studies to back it up. Well, talk about beating around the tea tree bush and not answering my questions (the least they could do was say that their source is proprietary but they just evaded my quesion altogether and went on and on about how their honey at levels between 16+ and 19+ were the most effective blah, blah, blah).

I also emailed Comvita directly to ask if they had a US distributor and they do but they don't carry 20+ but here's the link just in case:www.shoppri.com. And, as an after thought for the hector of it I also asked simply if they perhaps supply honey to manukahoneyusa (since this company doesn't talk about where they get their honey, only that it's from NZ). I didn't even mention their philosophy of having the most effective active manuka honey between 16 and 19 blah blah blah and here is what the very helpful Comvita SA said: "We do not have any dealing with manukahoneyusa, and are aware that there is much mis-information on their website." Interesting, eh?

miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:48 pm      Reply with quote
loopylori wrote:

That is really expensive Embarassed

I think anyone outside of Australasia may not find Comvita at a reasonable price even after shipping and difference in exchange rate, now you guys know how I feel when I buy things from the States and Europe Mad
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:02 am      Reply with quote
I never even looked at the brand of the one I got from Tesco it is 'Rowse'. Please don't anybody tell me it is crap because it tastes really good. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
loopylori wrote:
I never even looked at the brand of the one I got from Tesco it is 'Rowse'. Please don't anybody tell me it is crap because it tastes really good. Very Happy

Ah, Tesco is a store... Embarassed (But why does it seem so familiar?.... hmm)

Loopy- it appears you can keep on enjoying your yummy honey. Very Happy Of course I googled "Rowse manuka honey" and found out some info:
"Rowse honey is the UK's largest honey packer and brand leader, offering a wide range of top quality blended, organic, squeezable, manuka and other speciality honeys for retail, foodservice and industrial customers."

And the following, excerpted from http://www.foodmanufacture.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/3336/Honey_trap.html
' "Consumption is increasing as honey is deemed to be healthy and natural," he says. "We import the raw material for our customers and guarantee the quality." The company constantly audits its suppliers to ensure quality is maintained and full traceability can be assured. In fact, FDL's honey can be traced back to the individual bee keepers.'

loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:15 pm      Reply with quote
Amnis
Thanks for the info.

Yes Tesco is a store & it is taking over England. I saw an advert for a programme today about how we are being taken over by Tesco but I didn't take a lot of notice of when it was going to be on. If you have been to UK you are bound to have seen a Tesco. I think it is our version of the US Walmart but I would say walmart is infinitely better.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
miranets- how's your experiment going?

miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Amnis

Well I've tuned down to using the manuka only once a week as an overnight mask because my skin seemed to hit a plateau.

I prefer to use it as a base for a scrub and I tend to mix a small amount with my ZB vitamin C serum after using a Dr H clay mask.

But when I had really out of character bumpy skin about a fortnight ago I used manuka on one half of my face and Dr H rejuvenating mask on the other half and left on over night for three consecutive nights - still Dr H outperformed the honey and cleared up my blemishes.

I am not sure if honey works much better on skin problems like acne, cysts and inflamed spots - but for my pores I don't think it had cumulative effects after 6-7 days.
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:33 pm      Reply with quote
For some extra facts on manuka, here is the monthly WALA newsletter Plant of the Month article -

Synonyms for the Manuka: Tea treet
Scientific Name: Leptospermum scoparium J. R. et G. Forst.
Family: Myrtaceae (Myrtle Family)

DESCRIPTION
Manuka is a compact evergreen shrub which is covered for months with copious pink, dark-red or white flowers that are extremely attractive to bees. The colour of the flowers depends on the chromium content of the soil. Fertilised flowers develop feather-light seeds which are dispersed by the wind. The small lanceolate leaves emit an aromatic fragrance if rubbed between the fingers. They taste bitter to sharp. In its native New Zealand the manuka shrub grows up to the vegetation line in various forms ranging from 5-cm high scrub to 15-meter high trees.

DISTRIBUTION/NATIVE HABITAT
Australia, New Zealand

CONSTITUENTS
Manuka essential oil: more than 150 different constituents, including monoterpenes and sesquiterpenes.
Bark: triterpenic acids and derivatives, ellagic acid and its esters

USES
Manuka essential oil is obtained from the leaves and twigs of the plant by means of steam distillation. This viscous, yellowish oil with its distinctive odour is very effective against viruses, bacteria and fungi and also reduces swelling. It is used for skin disinfection and to treat eczemas, itching, thrush, athlete’s foot and acne, and can help alleviate sore throat, sinusitis and bronchitis.
Decoctions and infusions of bark are astringent, alleviate gastro-intestinal inflammation and have a soothing action. Manuka honey has proven antibacterial properties.

INTERESTING FACTS
The scientific name Leptospermum is derived from the Greek leptos = thin, fine; and sperma = seed. It describes the appearance of the feather-light seeds.
The indigenous people of New Zealand, the Maoris, have been handing down knowledge of the healing properties of the manuka shrub for a long time. The government of New Zealand recently became aware of this treasure trove of knowledge and has started to subsidise the marketing of manuka oil.
Captain James Cook encountered manuka in 1769 on his New Zealand expedition. His crew prepared fresh leaves of the plant as a tea substitute, and manuka was consequently called tea tree. However, it should not be confused with the Australian tea tree, Melaleuca alternifolia, the oil of which also has manifold uses. In the literature accounts of the two oils are indeed often mixed up because the plants have the same name.
Incidentally, manuka leaves lose their typical taste when dried.

USE IN SKIN CARE AND REMEDIES
Manuka oil is obtained from New Zealand, where Maoris harvest manuka leaves by hand from shrubs found growing in the wild. The shrubs grow back quickly, so there is no threat to the stands. In the process of steam distillation plant residues occur which are used for mulching and as fertiliser. Manuka oil rounds off the wound-healing and clarifying formula of Dr.Hauschka Pure Care Cover Stick.
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:30 pm      Reply with quote
I've seen it in Whole Foods too. The 15+ kind. It is this one:
http://www.synergy-co.com/pages/healing-honey.html

It's not the 20+ but it's certified organic and humanely produced without drugs or chemicals. And it's only $20 and can be easily obtained in the US.

I've tried it before but never externally for skin care. I'm a little confused about how it is used for skin care and what it is used for? You're putting it on your face and then leaving it on as a mask for 20 min. or so then washing it off? Or you're leaving it on all night? What does it do for the skin besides for the anti-bacterial effect. Does it really work on old scars like that site says? I wonder what it's doing.

Also, someone mentioned using it as a cleanser. I've heard this before, both for the face and have even heard of people using honey to wash their hair! First thing I always thought was, wow, how sticky! Then I wondered how that would have any effect at really cleansing and dissolving dirt, makeup and oil etc. How does it work? Do you just use the pure honey diluted with water or something or is it a mix of ingredients for the DIY Honey cleanser? Thanks!
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:33 pm      Reply with quote
I just ordered the Manuka Honey UMF25+. Can't wait to try it on my zits. Smile Do you think I can mix it with aloe vera gel?
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:20 pm      Reply with quote
An update with some "technical" information about the antibacterial properties of active honey, many of us know that honey is good but haven't been able to really explain the chemical properties which give honey its benefits -

from http://manuka-honey.blogspot.com/ and various other articles about honey

- Honey contains enzymes which when diluted release small amounts of hydrogen peroxide (this dilution is 1000 weaker than the normal 3% antiseptic H2O2 solutions). I am not sure if at this level the H2O2 formed can contribute to "oxygenation" of skin cells but it definitely has strong antiseptic properties.

- The numbers associated with UMF factors (eg UMF 20, 30 etc) represents the percentage of phenol in honey. Phenol has antiseptic and exfoliating actions.

Many of these actives in honey can be found in synthetic forms with medicinal and industrial uses but are very damaging when used in the concentrations in readily available products.

- -

As for my personal experiences with the manuka honey I bought, I use it on occasion when I seem to be suffering blocked pores but now I have started taking it internally for its health benefits.

Does anyone else have any updates with using honey?
yogi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:27 pm      Reply with quote
I just love it. I put it on my face. I put it on spots on my arm the Derm cut off. I put it in hot water and lemon. It's just good for everything! I manuka!
Mardy Bum
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
I wonder if they sell it in Australia hmm
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:49 pm      Reply with quote
miranets thank you for starting this topic. I am always on the look out for something to help my HB with his stomach problems. I just printed out the info from one of the websites given and will let him read it. I will check out our health food stores tomorrow. The added benefit will be me using it on my face. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:53 pm      Reply with quote
Mardy Bum wrote:

The brand I use is Comvita, a NZ brand - you may be able to find an Australia stockist from their website or a comprehensive souvenir store could be carrying a large range of the UMF products.
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:52 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the update miranets. I actually haven't tried manuka honey yet b/c I am waiting to order it with the rest of the ingredients on my GoW list (GoW carries manuka honey now btw). I am just taking forever to put together my list! Rolling Eyes

amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:36 am      Reply with quote
Mardy Bum wrote:

I am sure you are very likely to find some in Aus. Also, there are online retailers based in Aus that sell it so you could obtain it quite easily I'd think.

luvsgracy
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:03 am      Reply with quote
Thank you everyone, I'm going to order some Manuka Honey soon, I have used Living Nature products (the Manuka Honey gels) and they are not sticky at all, but they also add some Manuka oil and another oil and my skin breaks out from the little bit of oil, I guess.

I have found a wonderful toner for very sensitive skin (I can't use most toners, they irritate) from Lily Organics (she sells samples, also) and I'll mix it with the Manuka Honey.

Also, I'm wondering about adding an ingredient to the honey to use as a mask once a week, I'm wondering about adding just some fresh pumpkin from a can from the grocery store - I tried putting pumpkin from the can on my face once, and I mixed it just with a little water, and it seemed to work as well as any expensive pumpkin enzyme mask that some companies sell. What do you think about a Pumpkin/Manuka honey mask, dilited with some water or toner? I also love adding fresh lemon juice, just a few drops, to my skincare, it helps disinfect some, and doesn't dry the skin too much if just a tiny bit is used. Shock

Has anyone added Bromelain or Papain enzymes to the honey?
mur
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:27 pm      Reply with quote
For anybody in Vancouver, I bought a bottle of 16+ Manuka honey from Capers (organic, from NZ) - it was about $25 cdn for quite a large bottle.
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:14 am      Reply with quote
I use The Body Deli's Radiance Enzyme Peel which contains Manuka Honey. It does a lovely job but very messy.

Wildharvested New Zealand +10 UAF Active Manuka Honey, Plant source of probioticsand enzymes containing: L. Acidophilus, L. Bulgaricum, L. Leichmanni, L. Lactis, L. Caseii, L. Caucasicus, L. Fermenti, L. Plantarum, L. Helveticus, B. Bifidum, B. Subtillis, B. Licheniformis, S. Boulardii, Amalase, Protease, and Lipase. Vitamin E, L-ascorbic acid, Meadowfoam Seed Oil, Superfood Nutrients of: Barley Grass Juice*, Wheat Grass Juice*, Oat Grass Juice*, Spirulina, Chorella, Dunaliella, Kelp, Dulse, Carrot Juice*, Beet Juice*, Broccoli*, Kale*, Spinach*, Fresh Cells of Pomegranate, Kiwi, Passion Flower & Potassium Sorbate.

*Certified Organic Ingredients
cathy_jean
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:12 am      Reply with quote
After finding this thread, I took my jar of manuka honey out of the kitchen cabinet and put it on my face. I left it on for 25 minutes and during that time, I was massaging my skin. I have done OCM using Burts Bees Orange Essence Cleanser, and the experience with the manuka honey was similar. After about 15 minutes, I could feel where it had loosened some small grainy things from my pores. I would imagine that the benefit of using the honey over other cleansers is the antibacterial properties that the honey has. For the last five minutes, I closed my eyes and gently rubbed the honey over my eyes and lashes. My skin is very sensitive and the honey didn't irritate it at all. I was also surprised at how easily it washed off. My skin looked great afterwards and I'm going to keep using this a couple of times a week.

Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:57 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |