Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Do we really need to use a toner?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:01 pm      Reply with quote
I don't use it b/c all my skincare products are already overwhelming, and I'm getting confused what to put on first. I just wonder if I'm doing myself a disservice by not using it. Is this item optional? I'm using the skinbio stuff, and when I called the lady there, she told me to skip the toner. All agreed?
CyndiK.
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:37 pm      Reply with quote
There are other threads regarding toner opinions....but this one answers your question; there are different opinions...depends on your needs and cleanser you using.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=13865&highlight=toner+necessary

I felt like you, I even thought they were kinda a racquet...but now I love them...even if I don't need it...I've got three I'm rotating through now - just love 'em! I spritz all the time - keep some in the car.
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:40 pm      Reply with quote
I don't use a toner. I've tried to get myself into using one over and over (wasting a lot of money on "trying") as I kept thinking I just hadn't found the right one. To no avail.

The closest I come is my BHA/AHA from I Feel Pretty.

5% products discount

Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:51 pm      Reply with quote
Think of two sponges. One wet and one dry. If you were to put moisturizer on the sponges which would absorb? The wet one. Serums and moisturizer abosorb in to wet skin better. When the skin is dry it just sits on the top layer and doesn't fully absorb. Also it balances the ph of the skin.
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:58 pm      Reply with quote
GREAT.... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Another thing I have to buy....
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:23 pm      Reply with quote
Its not necessary, but sometimes a toner is all you need instead of a moisturizer. In the heat of summer its quite refreshing.
queenmary
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:12 pm      Reply with quote
maybe different brand different use, but in my mind, toner is needed and i like it.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:15 pm      Reply with quote
I'd love to use toner after using cleanser. It helps to tighten pores on my nose.
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:29 pm      Reply with quote
I no longer use a toner.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:36 pm      Reply with quote
CyndiK. wrote:
There are other threads regarding toner opinions....but this one answers your question; there are different opinions...depends on your needs and cleanser you using.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=13865&highlight=toner+necessary

I felt like you, I even thought they were kinda a racquet...but now I love them...even if I don't need it...I've got three I'm rotating through now - just love 'em! I spritz all the time - keep some in the car.

Hmm....maybe I have to give the toner another try. I just didn't see what it does for my face. I got the Best Bath Store toner to try, and I was not sure what it did. So I put it aside.
beebee
5% products discount

Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:27 am      Reply with quote
Toner not only helps your skin prepare for serums or moisturziers, It also helps you cleanse your skin better. It's like a second step to cleanse your face. Smile I never used a toner until one year ago. Now i can see a big difference.. Smile
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:36 am      Reply with quote
Hm.. I have some toners at home but I don't use them at all.. Maybe I should start using them to tighten up some pore-holes?
snowstar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:36 am      Reply with quote
i believe that for toners, YMMV. I started using a toner since december and my skin has been better. however, my sis saw no difference in her skin.
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:38 am      Reply with quote
My Oily skin really benefits from using a toner, it tightens my pores after cleansing and seems to help keep excessive oil production at bay.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:40 am      Reply with quote
beebee wrote:
Toner not only helps your skin prepare for serums or moisturziers, It also helps you cleanse your skin better. It's like a second step to cleanse your face. Smile I never used a toner until one year ago. Now i can see a big difference.. Smile

Toner works for some people. But you need to use the toner right for your skin type to see the difference, otherwise it could make your skin worse. Also I agree that it depends on the cleanser you use.
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:10 am      Reply with quote
I don't use toners, but theskingirl is right, stuff absorbs into damp skin better, but water (which is what most toners are made of) works just as well. What I do use now is an application of LA10% which I wash off after a couple of mins. It doesn't clear up any remaining cleanser (I don't use cleanser either Laughing), but it exfoliates and makes my skin more receptive to to the c serum.

I can understand why those with very oily skin prefer to use one though

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:57 am      Reply with quote
I don't use a toner after cleansing because it doesn't make any difference in my skin. However, I use a toner/hydrosol:
1. before I apply emu oil because it helps with absorbtion
2. to set my MMU
3. during the day for additional moisture, especially now when the heaters are on.
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
Hi!

I do not use a toner as I find them too drying.

Generally a toner is used to balance the ph of the skin after cleansing, however some use it as an astringent.

The cleanser that I use has a built in toner that is non drying (Ice Elements creme cleanser), however unless your cleanser has a really off ph or is not doing what you need it too, there is probably no reason to switch it or add a toner to it.

Take care.
Bosoxy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:35 pm      Reply with quote
lucyluc wrote:
GREAT.... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Another thing I have to buy....

Lucy you can make your own toner for pennies at home! Like a green tea toner, or an AVC toner according to your skin's needs.

I like using a toner personally. After cleaning depending on what I use to wash it helps balance my face out and smooth things over. If my face tends to be dry it smooths out all the little dry patches and or if I use the OCM it helps rid of any residue that I didn't remove during the wash.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
I use other products as my toners. PSF O2 rescue serum and SK-II Facial Treatment Essence.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:28 pm      Reply with quote
I think that depends, but I like use toners, especially the one I use now-Kiehl's calendula toner. I feel it make my skin less oily

Cherisse wrote:
I don't use it b/c all my skincare products are already overwhelming, and I'm getting confused what to put on first. I just wonder if I'm doing myself a disservice by not using it. Is this item optional? I'm using the skinbio stuff, and when I called the lady there, she told me to skip the toner. All agreed?
blaziamm
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:30 pm      Reply with quote
Seems like oily skin needs toner more than other types. I feel the same way, but I do not use toners with alcohol in it anymore
Laughing
rosebud wrote:
My Oily skin really benefits from using a toner, it tightens my pores after cleansing and seems to help keep excessive oil production at bay.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:59 pm      Reply with quote
blaziamm wrote:
Seems like oily skin needs toner more than other types. I feel the same way, but I do not use toners with alcohol in it anymore
Laughing
rosebud wrote:

My skin is dry, so maybe that's why I have not yet felt the need to use toner?
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:07 pm      Reply with quote
Toners are supposed to balance out your skin I think.. Mine has no alcohol and is very moisturizing for me. I have super dry skin!!
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:40 pm      Reply with quote
So what's a good toner for dry sensitive skin?
System
Automatic Message
Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:48 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Stem Youth Serum (50 ml) pH Advantage High Potency Effective Vitamin C Serum (51 ml / 1.75 floz) NuFace Gel Primer (5 fl oz / 148 ml)