Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Question from a newcomer to organic haircare
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
FaithTruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:39 pm      Reply with quote
After a few days of using JMO/using non-sls/cones for the very first time, I've noticed that even though the shampoo feels alot more stripping on the mid lengths and ends than normal ones, my roots are still pretty greasy the next day after washing, which is very surprising and not what I expected. I've read that this is because the hair has to adjust to no SLS and hence will be come greasy for a period of time. Is this true/has anyone experienced this?
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:53 pm      Reply with quote
When I quit using shampoo due to the sulfates and switched to (silicone-free) conditioner-only washing, my hair did go through an adjustment period. It looked a bit greasy for the first 3-4 weeks, and I was CO washing every day. One of the things that was key to adjusting to no sulfates with CO washing was doing thorough but gentle scalp massage. This helped reduce scalp debris and distribute sebum further down the hair shaft. From what I've read on various forums, the adjustment period typically lasts from 2-4 weeks; always your results may vary. IME, I am so glad that I stuck it out through the greasy phase (it looked worse than it felt) because it was the best thing I have done for my hair.
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:15 pm      Reply with quote
That is a good tip Marci65.

I still feel I need a few cones in my hair products for my hair to behave properly. This gives me hope that I can try to abandom them forever.
Cool
FaithTruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:20 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the tip. Glad to know this is normal will try the massage.
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:48 am      Reply with quote
I'm in the same boat as Faith and I've also found that my hair looks dull, even with conditioner, is this due to the fact that I'm not using silicones/SLS on it now?
shanno
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:07 am      Reply with quote
Seconding Marci65's scalp massage tip. I've been pretty amazed at how well this works. My hair gets rather greasy at the crown but tends to dry out at the ends. (It's fairly long, below my shoulder blades.) I massage my scalp in the evenings, run a large-toothed comb through it, and go to bed. When I wake up, my hair seems to have a lot of body and with no obvious greasiness.
FaithTruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:21 am      Reply with quote
So the massage is supposed to be done when your hair is dry or when you shampoo? How long do you massage for?
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:51 am      Reply with quote
FaithTruth wrote:
So the massage is supposed to be done when your hair is dry or when you shampoo? How long do you massage for?

I do scalp massage on both dry (when I remember) and wet hair. I don't use shampoo at all, so when I am using conditioner, I wet my hair thoroughly from scalp to ends, apply conditioner from scalp to ends (I use a generous amount of conditioner because this works very well for me; others who CO wash tend to use less on their scalp, but more conditioner there helps my fingers move smoothly over my scalp and hair), massage scalp with fingertips only (no nails!) and rinse well.

When I do scalp massage on dry hair, it's usually when I am sitting at the computer at night reading EDS posts. Laughing I just gently move my fingertips all along my scalp to loosen whatever scalp stuff might be there -- it's relaxing and supposedly also helps stimulate the scalp which can encourage hair growth. I only do dry scalp massage if I know I'm in for the night, in case flakes get disrupted -- not to mention that my hair gets messed up.

I massage for about 2-3 minutes and that works for me; I don't use a timer or anything, just goes by what feels okay. YMMV. I don't think you can hurt anything my doing it gently for a longer period of time, but not massaging for long enough may not help with cleaning your scalp and distributing oils.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:54 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |