Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
:: Review :: Osea Ocean Cleanser
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
RMB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:45 am      Reply with quote
I like this cleanser. It's a translucent pale-green gel with a citrus-y smell. It reminds me of lime sherbert.

I've been using it twice a day for a month now, and it's never dried me out. Osea also makes a more moisturizing cleanser. My personal feeling is that dryness from cleansers mainly results from detergents removing the intercellular lipids WITHIN your stratum corneum, i.e. that are part of your skin.

People experiencing dry skin after cleansing should first try to find a cleanser with gentler detergents instead of assuming you need a thick moisturizing cleanser (which is more prone to leaving residue).

The Ocean Cleanser contains lactic acid, so it can sting a little - but just a tiny bit.

Ingredients:
100% Natural Derived Ingredients. Red Algae Gel Extract (Chondrus Crispus), Decyl Glucoside (Vegetal Foaming Agent), Sodium Lauroyl Oat Amino Acids, Cocoglucoside & Coconut Alcohols, Sorbitan Olivate, Sesame Oil, Jojoba Oil, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate (Natural Smectite Clay), Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Essential Oils of Lime, Orange, Juniper, Cypress and Jasmine, Mixed Fruit Extract, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Hydroxymethylgycinate (Amino Acid), Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate.
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:19 am      Reply with quote
I will totally agree with you on this.. it is a lovely cleanser.

Did you try the sea minerals mist? I had the dry skin travel set and did a review on it ( http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=14546&highlight=ocean+cleanser )

I have been lemming so bad for full sizes of the Ocean cleanser and Sea Minerals, but I have to wait till I have need/$$ to add a couple more products to the order to justify shipping. Laughing

Did you ever use it for make-up removal? I only used it on bare skin, but found it was not that great for make-up. Be interested to hear your experience!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:12 am      Reply with quote
Hi Tiger,

Your review was one of the reasons I got this. Very Happy

It was also one of the reasons I didn't get the Sea Minerals. I remember you describing it as heavy. I was afraid it would interfere with absorption of actives.

I don't wear makeup unless I have to. When I do, I've been using Fancl Cleansing Oil to take it off. The two together haven't been drying either. I really don't think I'd use only 1 cleanser for makeup.

I also got the Advanced Protection Cream and the White Algae Mask.

I don't like the White Algae Mask that much. It dries, then cracks on your face. Have you ever had mucous drip from your nose, dry, then flake off? It's kind of like that except it doesn't flake off. I didn't like the feeling.

The Advanced Protection Cream, though, might be pretty awesome. At first I didn't care that much for it. It kind of dried on my face like the mask and I didn't like the feeling. But now I think there's something really special about seaweed/algae. It's on your face like a film, and that might be kind of uncomfortable, but it leaves your skin inside the film really nice. I like the cream vs. the mask though, because the drying feeling on your face with the mask is a little too much. Plus, I didn't see any benefit with applying the mask for a night vs. applying the cream for a night.

ETA: Also, thank you avalange for introducing me to this line.
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:31 am      Reply with quote
Well, glad you liked it since it was me that led you there!

Oh, RMB, re the Sea Minerals... I had to go back to my review because I really loved it and it was not "heavy" at all.. no film, no nothing... then I realized I did mention it being "heavy".. but (oh I am embarassed) I meant as in it weighed a lot (being in a thick glass bottle and all) rofl I had wanted to carry it in my handbag but the bottle made it too heavy to lug with me. Laughing

So please, next time, try the Sea Minerals!!

I am so glad to hear your experience with the White Algae Mask.. I had been wanting to get this, but from what yuo said I would not like it at all. You saved me $$. I had the Red Algae one and did not like it that much.

Advanced protection cream sounds nice.. maybe I will try to get a sample since they dont sell a travel size to try. I am not a big cream person, but it is nice to ahve a list of ones that I like in case I ever need to buy something.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:43 am      Reply with quote
Shock haha. But I remember somewhere, maybe in that thread where you were talking about different mists you could use in the office. You were talking about how you could spray Caudalie grape water all day, but not the Sea Minerals, because it was too heavy? Oh well, thank you for the recommendation. And you're right, these bottles are heavy. Laughing
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:46 am      Reply with quote
OH I dont remember the post exactly but I think what I was meaning (well what I wanted to say) was that it is too EXPENSIVE to just mist all day long with. When I finally get my next bottle I plan to use it for a spritz before applying serum/moisturizer/face oil.

For all-day-long spritzing I will stick to the lvoely grape water (if only EDS would get the big size back in stock...)

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:56 am      Reply with quote
I want to try this line so bad!! It is just so expensive Crying or Very sad
I did buy the eye and lip cream, because of the great reviews on here, and can't wait to get it. I may have to start saving. I am using Suki Natural's now and love the line, it is also pricy but not as much as Osea.
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:15 pm      Reply with quote
hello all,

being osea's most diligent and dedicated user, I can also, along with Tiger_Tim, answer any questions about it--I've used just about all of their products...

RMB, I CANNOT believe you did not like the white algae mask! It is my HG HG HG product extraordinaire. It does indeed resemble a clay mask that dries on the skin, but when washed off, it becomes a bit gelatinous again and leaves my skin soft, blemish free, and positively glowing... I cannot live without it; I'm so sorry it did nothing for you! Tiger_Tim, I'd ask for a sample of both the Advanced and the White Algae mask next time. Like you, I wasn't that impressed with the red algae mask, but the white algae is amazing in my eyes.

And re: the Advanced Protection cream--it does sort of leave an unnoticeable film on your skin, that, when you wash it off in the morning, again--you can feel that it was indeed there all night long. and it firms like crazy, and makes your skin glow. I wear this out when I want to showcase my "bare" skin; otherwise, I just use it as a night cream on those days when I'm not using retinol. I'm wondering how "DPHP" compares as a firming, toning ingredient to DMAE as well; Darren from PSF said he would look into it.

lastly, eyes and lips is sort of like Advanced Protection cream, but a "spot treatment"--they contain many of the same ingredients. I will never be without this product; it is the best all-around eye/lip cream! I love the satiny look my skin gets after I apply it. Amylola, I really hope you like it.

re: sea minerals, I think the "heaviness" is definitely an issue if you have oily skin... I cannot remember, but I think it has aloe and algae and trace minerals, and it's not like a spritz that tones/goes away, but rather like a very light moisturizer--would you agree, Tiger_Tim? This is also a "brightening" mist, since it contain vitamin c--I notice my complexion come to life when i spritz it on, especially if I'm inside all day under controlled atmospheric conditions. Too bad I'm currently without it... Sad

It's nice because this company was first recognized for re-inventing the cleanser without the use of sls and other harsh detergents, and as well for using oils blends to heal blemishes, but they have also kept right up there with the ingredient march, and I think they've made some wise choices and some excellent products to supplement the line.

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
amylola
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:25 pm      Reply with quote
Avanlange - I am definitely so excited to try it, I am hooked on any type of eye cream and apply it constantly. I figure i will keep this one in my purse for daytime. I recently started using my unfinished Green Cream (which I did not like for my face) around my eyes am and pm, and it has totally smoothed out the fine lines around my eyes. So I will be using this during the day for added moisture.
It is so dry & cold here, 5 degrees this morning! so I definitely need it. At least that is what I tell myself to justify the purchase Laughing
RMB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:16 pm      Reply with quote
avalange - I just want to make clear: The white algae mask doesn't do nothing for me. It does hydrate. My problems with it are: (1) It feels bad when it's on my skin. It's not a relaxing experience, which I think masks should provide. (2) I don't see any additional benefit over using just the advanced protection cream. In other words...

In the morning after a night routine of White Algae Mask (10 minutes) + Advanced Protection Cream
or
Really thick layer of White Algae Mask (whole night)
=
I get the same results as using just the Advanced Protection Cream.

But the mask aside, I'm really pleased with this line. Just wondering, what do you mean the company was first recognized for re-inventing the cleanser? Was this their first product, or bestseller, or star product?
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:31 pm      Reply with quote
avalange, I never really "felt" the Ocean Minerals as hydrating.. and that is actually what I loved bout them! They had all these great hydrating ingredients, but I never even felt them on my skin. I loved the naked feel.

For me, the biggest "yuk factor" with mists that contain more than just water is that they usually leave my skin feeling like I have a coating on. I cannot use Jurlique rosewater even for day-long misting as by the end of the workday I feel like I can rub it off. Laughing

That Advanced protection cream is sounding better and better though....

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:40 am      Reply with quote
hi RMB,

I replied to you last night, but my post was erased, or somehow didn't go through!

Anyways, the gist of what I said:
totally with you on the white algae mask vs. apc overnight treatment--much prefer apc!

Also, regarding "reinventing the cleanser": most companies used sulfates, detergents, water as a base ingredient, etc. back in the day--Osea was one of the first to use algae as a base for a cleanser along with all natural ingredients. they were also, as far as I know, the first to utilize marine products with essential oils, which I think is a winning combination! Of course Dr. Hauschka and Weleda have always gone the all-natural route, but their ingredients were not always as pure as they are now. I think that Osea really took a stand and wanted to offer something totally different--a powerful, active, yet nourishing cleanser--to its customers.
I worked at the store where the product was initially launched almost 15 years ago (Fred Segal in LA), and I remember how amazed I was at how different the products felt on my skin back then... I had been religiously using Kiehls... Now of course there are many other natural options for our skin, in fact almost too many, but whenever I let any osea product go from my routine and then come back around to it, I am always surprised that my skin seems to prefer it more than any other product range. For instance, I was using cellcosmet eye cream for months, and developed milia and more fine lines, and I decided to stop using it. Within two days of going back to my beloved eyes and lips, my eyes looked toned and firmed, brightened, and the milia began disappearing! So there you go. My skin prefers osea, but it's not perfect for everyone. Being a contributor to this forum and being inspired to try so many different things has been fun, but also has made me realize that it is best to stick with a simple routine that works!

--avalange

p.s. to tiger tim--I think I had a really OLD bottle of sea minerals the last time I used it--they actually used to call it "sea plasma," so maybe it was a different formulation? To me, it was just ever so slightly moisturizing--but more than that, very effective at brightening a dull complexion.

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
amylola
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:09 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for your post Avalange - you have really inspired me to try the Osea line, once I run out of stuff I already have ! I am so excited for monday when my Eyes&Lips arrives!
amylola
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:47 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah!! I received my eyes and lips tonight. And with it came a bunch of samples, actually samples of the entire sensitive kit, GO OSEA.
I used the white algae mask just now, my skin feels amazing!! I also used the ocean cleaning milk first, then the mask, then I just used my retinol and I am waiting the 30 minutes, then I am going to use the sample of the advanced protection cream they sent. They also sent a sample of the eyes and lips. Very generous with samples. I am so happy right now!! yeah!! Razz
I am now contemplating buying this mask, my skin feels just so nice. Not dry, not greasy, not tight, just perfect.
Thanks to all of you who recommended this line!
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:26 pm      Reply with quote
sniff sniff.. makes me feel so unloved.. they never sent me even ONE sample when I bought all my stuff Crying or Very sad Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:08 pm      Reply with quote
Oh Im sorry Tiger Tim, Its wierd cause I didn't even request samples, but I think at one point I picked sensitive on their skin analysis, maybe that is why they sent all of the samples???
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:38 am      Reply with quote
avalange--isn't decyl glucoside in the cleanser considered a detergent or surfactant or both? i know it is very mild surfactant and i use it myself in a cleanser i make mixed with liquid kelp from GoW and a couple drops of essential oil to mask the smell of the kelp.

thank you! great thread and review btw. I am currently knee deep in do it yourself skin care and GoW products, but i am looking forward to trying Osea some day.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:02 am      Reply with quote
I just ordered the travel kit for dry skin and I ordered a full size of the advanced protection cream. I couldn't help it with all the reviews here! I have been trialing Suki and I really like that line, but I just had to try Osea! Very Happy
amylola
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:01 am      Reply with quote
They told me they were out of the protection cream - I had ordered it and they gave me a refund. They may do that to you as well, unless they got more since yesterday!
amylola
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:04 am      Reply with quote
Oh and rileygirl - I use almost the entire line of Suki, and I love it. It is so gentle and natural. I am going to test the Osea, but I don't think I could ever give up Suki!
I love the cleansing milk, the lemongrass cleanser, the velvet cream - really everything i've tried!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:10 am      Reply with quote
amylola, I love the lemongrass cleanser, too! I also like the toner (shitake). I thought I would alternate the products (you know 1 in the morning, the other in the evening) to see which one I like better!
amylola
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:15 am      Reply with quote
I love the white willow toner, I use both toners, but prefer this one. I plan to try the Osea maybe at night, and keep my suki in the a.m. The Suki is more affordable, and with makeup.com you can usually get free shipping, but I just had to try the Osea. I'm obsessed!
Have you tried the Suki Eye Tissue Repair? I love it, I slather it all over my under eyes and lips when I go to bed.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:45 am      Reply with quote
No haven't tried the eye repair! It sounds good though. I know what you mean, I just felt compelled to get the Osea! I am hoping for good things with the advanced protection cream!
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
I'm waiting for my Osea Milk Cleanser! Very Happy
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:17 pm      Reply with quote
the cleansing milk is my favorite cleanser in the whole wide world... it manages to be hydrating yet does not leave a film at all and my skin feels perfectly clean. it does everything for me! i was so thrilled when i tried it; i hope you love it too. let us know!

--avalange

System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:22 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |