Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.
 
 back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in



Decleor Orexcellence Energy Concentrate Youth Mask (50 ml) Glominerals Contour Kit - Medium to Dark (13.2 g / 0.46 oz) Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Glotion for Body (150 ml / 5 floz)
Anyone else afraid to open a RAVE Product Review thread?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Author Message
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 3297
Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:00 pm      Reply with quote
I'm starting to develop a phobia for opening a RAVE thread in the Product Review forum. LOL I am afraid my wallet and credit card will suffer once again. This is not to mention that I am running out of a bathroom counter. If I want to try yet another product, I may have to rent a storage space to store them.

Also how do you deal with so many different products to put on your face? Do you get confused by the order of applications? How long does it take you to go through your routine? I am finding that it's taking me at least an hour, and my beauty sleep is suffering. Must there be a trade-off between sleep and beauty?
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Posts: 842
Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
an hour - geesh --- You need to break it up more!!! Smile Spread it out more.

I do a BHA/AHA acid combo in the AM, that has a 30 min wait but thats it on wait times.

I get up out of bed, wipe face with a wet cloth and apply that quickly. Then I take that 30 min wait, to eat, exercise, take child to school whatever. I do other things. When I get back, or after working out I shower, and add other stuff - takes maybe 5 min.

And in the PM I add a Vit C product, but I just do it in the afternoon late evening, after washing off sunscreen etc.

Apply C which takes a 15 min wait, I also do a lip treatment that takes 2 minutes. Then cook and eat dinner etc. durning my Vit C wait time.

After dinner or Before bed apply an oil or eye treatment (RevitaLash) other treatment if needed and go to bed.
razinkane
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 17 Apr 2006
Posts: 755
Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:17 pm      Reply with quote
Tangal, I didn't know it was okay to apply bha/aha wait 30 minutes and THEN take a shower. I was under the impression it could get washed off.
Cherisse-sometimes it takes me that long, but only because wait times. I wash my face-wait 30 minutes then I would put on bha, wait 30 minutes, put on aha and wait 30 minutes and then oils. I have just remembered recently (yesterday actually) that I didn't have to wait between my bha and aha application, just for it to absorb. Also, I got a different face cleaner yesterday with a lower ph, so that means no wait time after that either. Thank goodness-because sometimes I would take my emu oil to bed with so I would not have to get back up and go in the bathroom to put it on after the 30 minutes.
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Posts: 842
Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:28 pm      Reply with quote
yep it gets washed off, but after 30 minues the exfoliation action is over, because the pH has risen to high.

It does still provide some antioxidant benifits if left on. But I add other AO products after that point, so no biggy.
marla
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 21 Aug 2006
Posts: 385
Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:30 pm      Reply with quote
LOL -- Cherisse, you're too funny.

Although - I must add this with LOTS of humor - I'm pretty sure that YOU are starting a few of the Rave reviews lately??? Wink

I do my best to keep my routine simple -- if I don't, I just give up because I just don't have the time to put in. Dunno, though... still seems like I use a lot of products Embarassed

AM:
Cleanse in shower
ZenB Oxytoner, let dry
Vit C, let dry/sink in
Eye cream (PSF superhydrating)
sunscreen/makeup

PM:
Put my 4 year old in the bathtub. While she's playing:

Cleanse
Ep II / PSF Microdermabrasion scrub
ISC Active Serum
*Go and wash/play with the kiddo *
Either ISC Firming or ISC Hydrocool or HA/emu
PSF Eye Cream

I "dabble" with items like DMAE, etc. but, honestly, I just don't have the time to work them in.

I like to use masks either after putting my daughter to sleep (I'll relax and watch TV or something) or in the morning before getting into the shower.

I think that trying new stuff is a lot of fun...but I try to stick with samples so I'm not heartbroken about lost $$ if it turns out that I just don't have time to work them into my "routine".

Also -- and I'm not sure why this works well for me -- but I keep two plastic containers in my cabinet: one for AM stuff and one for PM stuff. You may want to try that to cut down on confusion!

Don't you worry -- you'll figure it out!!!

_________________
Age 41; Oily; Acne prone; Resilient; Currently loving Tazorac, Kate Somerville ExfoliKate and Deep Tissue Repair; Bobbi Brown Hydrating Eye Cream
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 3297
Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
marla wrote:
LOL -- Cherisse, you're too funny.

Although - I must add this with LOTS of humor - I'm pretty sure that YOU are starting a few of the Rave reviews lately??? Wink

I do my best to keep my routine simple -- if I don't, I just give up because I just don't have the time to put in. Dunno, though... still seems like I use a lot of products Embarassed

AM:
Cleanse in shower
ZenB Oxytoner, let dry
Vit C, let dry/sink in
Eye cream (PSF superhydrating)
sunscreen/makeup

PM:
Put my 4 year old in the bathtub. While she's playing:

Cleanse
Ep II / PSF Microdermabrasion scrub
ISC Active Serum
*Go and wash/play with the kiddo *
Either ISC Firming or ISC Hydrocool or HA/emu
PSF Eye Cream

I "dabble" with items like DMAE, etc. but, honestly, I just don't have the time to work them in.

I like to use masks either after putting my daughter to sleep (I'll relax and watch TV or something) or in the morning before getting into the shower.

I think that trying new stuff is a lot of fun...but I try to stick with samples so I'm not heartbroken about lost $$ if it turns out that I just don't have time to work them into my "routine".

Also -- and I'm not sure why this works well for me -- but I keep two plastic containers in my cabinet: one for AM stuff and one for PM stuff. You may want to try that to cut down on confusion!

Don't you worry -- you'll figure it out!!!


Haha...if my memory serves me correctly (and it doesn't always do), I think I started one RAVE and two HATEs recently. I think for me a hate is easier to do because I expect a lot from a product I use. If I'm ambivalent about it, I just won't rave about it.

Thank you for your suggestion re: the plastic bags. But am I the only one that uses some products both AM and PM? I recently bought some coQ10, ester-C, melatonin, and sea kelp from skinactives, and I added these to my existing night treatment cream (Orjene Organics brand bought at Vitacost.com) and DMAE cream I bought from Vitamin World. I was so afraid to look at my face in the morning after I tried this concoction because I didn't really measure any of the stuff but pretty much just guessed at it...exactly like how I cook.

It turned out I liked how my skin looked that morning, so I figured I would use this concoction both AM and PM. I even put some on my tummy thinking maybe it will find that it's now being treated better, and would be more willing to narrow those stretch marks for me more.

Smile
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 3297
Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:23 pm      Reply with quote
Tangal wrote:
an hour - geesh --- You need to break it up more!!! Smile Spread it out more.

I do a BHA/AHA acid combo in the AM, that has a 30 min wait but thats it on wait times.

I get up out of bed, wipe face with a wet cloth and apply that quickly. Then I take that 30 min wait, to eat, exercise, take child to school whatever. I do other things. When I get back, or after working out I shower, and add other stuff - takes maybe 5 min.

And in the PM I add a Vit C product, but I just do it in the afternoon late evening, after washing off sunscreen etc.

Apply C which takes a 15 min wait, I also do a lip treatment that takes 2 minutes. Then cook and eat dinner etc. durning my Vit C wait time.

After dinner or Before bed apply an oil or eye treatment (RevitaLash) other treatment if needed and go to bed.


I think I need to try harder to implement your method as obviously mine is not working!
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Posts: 842
Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:24 pm      Reply with quote
what products are you useing? Maybe we can sort it out into a better managed program for you?
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 3297
Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:42 pm      Reply with quote
Tangal wrote:
what products are you useing? Maybe we can sort it out into a better managed program for you?


Tangal, oh my gosh, if you can, I'd be so happy and grateful for your help. I've been getting some balling up effect, too, so I know some or most of the products I put on my face don't get absorbed.

In the morning, I wash my face with whatever cleanser I have available. I'm still looking for a good one although the Orjene Organics CoQ10 face wash I got from vitacost.com seems to be ok. I recently tried Avalon Organics CoQ10 face cleansing creme and I hated it.

Then I applied the Skinbio Exfol cream and put on some DMAE serum I bought from SAS.

Next comes eye cream I bought from an independent vendor (like Candy, but she (Denise)'s not on EDS). I'm just trying her sample. It's the eye lift cream with SPF 30. It contains A, B, C, D, E, co-Q10, borage oil, aloe, DMAE, AHA/BHA, elastin, and seaweed extract. Sometimes I switch to Best Bath Store's intensive undereye treatment.

Then I put on Denise's Face Dream Lift with SPF 30. It got the same ingredients as the eye dream lift with 8% AHA and alfalfa extract.

Then I mess with my lashes with Ardell and SAS KGF.

At this point I check for any dry spot, and lightly touch up with a tad of Emu oil.

Then I put Nutrogena SPF 55 sunblock on top of everything.

In the evening, I wash my face, and apply the skinbio body lotion on my face (the lady at skinbio said it's ok to use it on your face). Then I put on the Super CP serum followed by Emu to spot treat the sunspots on my cheeks and to smooth out my forehead.

Then I put Emu oil all over. I then put on the concoction I made (mentioned in my post responding to Marla above) which has melatonin, ester c, coQ10, dmae, sea kelp, etc.

Followed by DMAE serum.

Then the eyelash treatment with RL, SAS KGF, and Ardell.

Then eye cream (either best bath store or Denise's Eye Dream 3-in-1, which has petroleum jelly in it).

At this point, I'd look at myself in a dazed state, and hoped I didn't forget anything.

But I was always sure I forgot something as I climbed in to bed.

Tangal, you didn't think you'd get a novel when you asked me to describe my routines, did you? LOL

PS: Oh both the AM and PM routines require my attention on my tummy b/c I'm trying to treat my 11-y.o. stretch marks, so that takes an additional 10 minutes each b/c I rub them pretty hard for a while to make sure everything goes in.
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 22 Oct 2006
Posts: 1075
Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
Mostly the only RAVES I'm susceptible to are those about Candessence and CareKate's products.

For the others, I'm fairly immune. Speak to the hand

Ari

_________________
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says, "Oh Crap, She's up!" Unknown
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 3297
Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:47 pm      Reply with quote
Arielle wrote:
Mostly the only RAVES I'm susceptible to are those about Candessence and CareKate's products.

For the others, I'm fairly immune. Speak to the hand

Ari


I just find that I'm immune to anything that costs over $50....since my credit card will start to shake and try to run away from my fingers. hehe
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Posts: 842
Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:59 pm      Reply with quote
Well applying a DMAE serum after a cream, is probably doing you no good. DMAE works best on clean skin, it also won’t normally absorb well through a cream.

Your AHA/BHAs are probably ineffective. They need to go on clean skin with a 30 minute wait f you want the Exfoliation action. They also need to be a low pH to exfoliate – do you know the pH by any chance?

You should have:

Cleanse
AHA or BHA or both depending on formula and pH
Wait 30 min
DMAE
Serums
oils
creams
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 22 Oct 2006
Posts: 1075
Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
Tangal wrote:
an hour - geesh --- You need to break it up more!!! Smile Spread it out more.

I do a BHA/AHA acid combo in the AM, that has a 30 min wait but thats it on wait times.

I get up out of bed, wipe face with a wet cloth and apply that quickly. Then I take that 30 min wait, to eat, exercise, take child to school whatever. I do other things. When I get back, or after working out I shower, and add other stuff - takes maybe 5 min.

And in the PM I add a Vit C product, but I just do it in the afternoon late evening, after washing off sunscreen etc.

Apply C which takes a 15 min wait, I also do a lip treatment that takes 2 minutes. Then cook and eat dinner etc. durning my Vit C wait time.

After dinner or Before bed apply an oil or eye treatment (RevitaLash) other treatment if needed and go to bed.


Tangal, out of curiosity, why do you use your AHA/BHA in the morning and your anti-oxidant C in the evening?

Ari

_________________
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says, "Oh Crap, She's up!" Unknown
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 13 Sep 2005
Posts: 1530
Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
Almost every night, I spend about 2 hours on just putting on skincare products. I wait about 30 minutes between each active. I read, cook, or just do anything I feel like in between actives. I think sometimes I even plan my night around my skincare routine Embarassed

But my routine in the morning is very short and fast.

_________________
Simple but No Simplier...Approaching late 20s, Normal/Combination Skin, Rarely Breakout now but have some old acne marks, sunspots, & broken caps
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Posts: 842
Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:20 pm      Reply with quote
Cherisse:
Exfol Cream should have a 30 min wait after use. If applying serum after it, it will not absorb, unless you wipe skin first.
Wipe skin with a microfiber or wash cloth to remove lotion cream residue.

DMAE serum under eye OR the eye cream with DMAE – you don’t need both- Pick one.

What’s the pH of your under eye cream with DMAE/AHA and BHA? If its not low enough its ineffective, so the AHA/BHA is useless to you.

Denises face lift probably has to high a pH for the AHA to be effective, because most sunscreens are ineffective with a low pH. So why are you using this?

Whats the formulation of your concoction?

You have to many duplicates, some are probaly ineffective. We need to get rid of the duplicates and ineffective products.
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Posts: 842
Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:23 pm      Reply with quote
Because with my schedule it works better. Easier to fit the 30 min wait in the AM then the PM for me.

I also do Copper in the AM, and prefer not to do it in the same session as Vit C, so as not to effect my Vit C.

I apply other Antiox products to my skin in the AM so don't need C in the AM. I feel it maintains effectiveness through the day from the residual buildup from the night before.

Vit C is something new I just started a few months ago. If I continue, I "may" adjust my routine in Summer. Not sure yet.
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Posts: 842
Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:36 pm      Reply with quote
wildcat you normally should not need 30 min between each activity- why do you do this?
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 13 Sep 2005
Posts: 1530
Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
Tangal wrote:
wildcat you normally should not need 30 min between each activity- why do you do this?


Tangal,
I guess I didn't explain myself clearly. I don't wait 30 mins after I put on PSF O2 serum to put on IS Clinical Active Serum. But I do wait 30 mins after the active serum to put on PSF Retinol night repair. I also need to wait 30 mins after Retinol product to put on a moisturizer. I use Jurlique Herbal Recovery Gel.

_________________
Simple but No Simplier...Approaching late 20s, Normal/Combination Skin, Rarely Breakout now but have some old acne marks, sunspots, & broken caps
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Posts: 842
Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:35 pm      Reply with quote
ah ok.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 3297
Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:17 pm      Reply with quote
Tangal wrote:
Cherisse:
Exfol Cream should have a 30 min wait after use. If applying serum after it, it will not absorb, unless you wipe skin first.
Wipe skin with a microfiber or wash cloth to remove lotion cream residue.

DMAE serum under eye OR the eye cream with DMAE – you don’t need both- Pick one.

What’s the pH of your under eye cream with DMAE/AHA and BHA? If its not low enough its ineffective, so the AHA/BHA is useless to you.

Denises face lift probably has to high a pH for the AHA to be effective, because most sunscreens are ineffective with a low pH. So why are you using this?

Whats the formulation of your concoction?

You have to many duplicates, some are probaly ineffective. We need to get rid of the duplicates and ineffective products.


Hi Tangal,

Phew! I had to take some time to digest the info. I'm still not sure if I got it all. Smile

I don't know about the pH in Denise's stuff, but I can email her and ask.

My concoction is a bit messy.

I started with .75 oz of Orjene Organics CoQ10 Night Treatment http://www.vitacost.com/OrjeneOrganicsCoQ10OliveVitaleAgeRecoveryNightTreatment
AND
+ .5 oz of DMAE cream I bought from Vitamin World
+ .5 gm of GABA http://www.skinactives.com/products/gaba.htm
+ .3 gm of Melatonin http://www.skinactives.com/products/melatonin.htm
+ 2 gm of Ester C http://www.skinactives.com/products/map.htm
+ .2 gm of CoQ10
+ .75 oz of sea kelp bioferment

All of the above were not measured, but rather it's a guestimate. I just kinda poured out the content from each tube in to the cream.

Then I mixed them all together with the stick provided by SAS. The CoQ10 won't mix easily. I still see some orange bits in the cream. It is not all smooth.

Did I do anything particularly bad with this concoction?
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 04 Oct 2006
Posts: 2198
Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:19 am      Reply with quote
I'm realising, about the RAVE reviews, that I need to know who is authoring them, really, to see if they are relevant to me.

I need raves ( or rejections) from people in my age group with similar skin, otherwise it probably is just a distraction to read them..

I agree with Ari ( with sickening regularity ) that if it's by Carrie or Candy, it's got to be good!
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 22 Oct 2006
Posts: 1075
Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:22 am      Reply with quote
catski wrote:
I'm realising, about the RAVE reviews, that I need to know who is authoring them, really, to see if they are relevant to me.

I need raves ( or rejections) from people in my age group with similar skin, otherwise it probably is just a distraction to read them..

I agree with Ari ( with sickening regularity ) that if it's by Carrie or Candy, it's got to be good!


'scuuuuuuse me? rofl

_________________
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says, "Oh Crap, She's up!" Unknown
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Posts: 842
Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:27 am      Reply with quote
The orange bits are probably your CoQ10. It is tricky to blend. No I dont think its "bad" just thickness dictates whn you use it in relatin to other ingrediants.

But DMAE works best applyed to clean skin. Not layered over other stuff.

You have lots of creams, but its hard to layer a serum OVER a cream and get both to absorb. Serums normally do best UNDER creams. They tend not to absorb well otherwise.

A cream can go over a cream, but then you deal with your Activities, and the ingredaints and pH.

If its pH sensitive like acids, applying it over another product, with a higher pH makes it ineffective. Or applying anything with a higher pH over it, within the first 30 min, makes it ineffective.
tl
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 23 Nov 2006
Posts: 29
Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
Tangal wrote:
Your AHA/BHAs are probably ineffective. They need to go on clean skin with a 30 minute wait f you want the Exfoliation action. They also need to be a low pH to exfoliate – do you know the pH by any chance?

You should have:

Cleanse
AHA or BHA or both depending on formula and pH
Wait 30 min
DMAE
Serums
oils
creams


Tangal, I know this isn't the topic of this thread but have a question for you regarding your remark above:
If I cleanse with an AHA/BHA product (GOW), do I need to wait 30 minutes before applying my ACV toner (ACV,aloe, green tea) and then another 30 minutes before the rest of my routine?

Thanx mucho -- Toni

_________________
Almost 50! So Cal w/ red hair, freckles and combo sensitive skin.
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Posts: 842
Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:48 pm      Reply with quote
Tl-

I don’t know the pH of GOW AHA/BHA – that’s critical.

But it should be 3.0 or less. So assuming it is. You can apply any product with the same pH or lower immediately. Higher pH products need a wait.

If you apply you ACV after with a cotton pad for example, you are wiping off your AHA/BHA, before it is done working. Which you don’t want to do. It need 30 minutes on the skin to work its exfoliation action.

If your other products are higher then 3.0 pH (or whatever your AHA/BHA is) then you should wait 30 min before using them
System
Automatic Message
Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:44 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic



Janson Beckett NekaDermEL (118 ml / 4 floz) Obagi Retinol 1.0 Cream (28 g) Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Glotion for Body (150 ml / 5 floz)