Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
MSM - I lost body fat & tighter skin - anyone else too?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
rubby
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:21 am      Reply with quote
I've been wondering for a while now - is there an age limit for taking MSM? I mean - can kids take it??
I am always on the look for things to help with my 10-year old daughter's skin issues (very thin and dry skin with chronic eczema). I don't think I'd want her to have more energy Shock (she is a ball of energy as it is Laughing ), but if it would help with her skin - i'd love to try it with her.

So - if MSM is OK for kids - what dose would you recommend? She is 10.5 yrs old - approximately 70-75 lbs.

Thanks! R. Smile

44, oily T-zone, acne prone (PCOS) ~ Baby Q & Tanda (blue light) ~ Karin Herzog (Oxy Face, Vita-A-Kombi 2, Vitamin H, Eye cream) ~ PSF (Cramberry Eye Gel) ~ Pearl/Silk powder primer and mist ~ L2K ~ MMU
preenie
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:41 am      Reply with quote
My MSM story so far...
I've been taking MSM for about month now. I started off slowly and I'm now up to 4g in the morning with 1g vit C.

The first thing I noticed was: my nails..They grew! I've never had nails as they've always been really weak.

The second was: No hair in the plug hole. I have thick curly hair, which usually fills the plug hole weekly :-& , I've not had to romove ANY since taking MSM (over a month!)

I haven't really noticed anything to do with weight, well I have lost some but I've also been training quite hard, so I think its more down to that.

Catski mentioned she thought her lips looked plumper, I thought this as well, but put it down to wishfull thinking!

The only side effect I seemed to have is "digestion" as somebody politely put it earlier. I don't want to be crude, but stools haven't been as firm as they should!!!! Eh?
It has been pretty much constantly like this since I started taking MSM, is this bad?

My nails have started to become brittle gain this week, could I be at a plateau? I was thinking of upping my dose?

Candida was mentioned earlier. I have suffered from this, how does MSM help?

Well my overall view is a definite thumbs up to MSM. I'm looking forward to seeing the benefits in my skin, supposedly this is usually around the six week mark.

5% products discount

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:12 pm      Reply with quote
rubby wrote:
So - if MSM is OK for kids - what dose would you recommend? She is 10.5 yrs old - approximately 70-75 lbs.

MSM is fine for kids--our daughter has had it since birth. She weighs 45 pounds and gets a half teaspoon (2 grams) a day. I would start at half a gram and work up from there although kids generally don't detox like us older folks do!
pcnetwrx
5% products discount

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:22 pm      Reply with quote
preenie wrote:
My nails have started to become brittle gain this week, could I be at a plateau? I was thinking of upping my dose?

You can work your way significantly higher if you would like to try it. I think things will normalize in the bathroom area over time, but some people do react that way with vitamin C so that may be the issue.

I had a severe candida infection and I had tried all sorts of herbal things that claimed to kill it off with no apparent effect at all. What did it for me was megadosing on MSM (10 teaspoons a day or 40 grams) over a period of about 3 months while also doing the candida diet (no sugars, not even from fruit, no vinegar, no yeast, no mushrooms, and I think a few other things that I can't remember now and no starch the first week) and taking some probiotics to rebalance my gut. Between all of that I felt that it eradicated it completely.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
Thankyou, pcnetwrx. That is very interesting. I really had no idea that MSM could help so many conditions.

I'm going to slowly increase my dose and see what happens to my weak digestion, melasma's and energy levels.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:07 pm      Reply with quote
pcnetwrx wrote:
preenie wrote:

You can work your way significantly higher if you would like to try it. I think things will normalize in the bathroom area over time, but some people do react that way with vitamin C so that may be the issue.

I had a severe candida infection and I had tried all sorts of herbal things that claimed to kill it off with no apparent effect at all. What did it for me was megadosing on MSM (10 teaspoons a day or 40 grams) over a period of about 3 months while also doing the candida diet (no sugars, not even from fruit, no vinegar, no yeast, no mushrooms, and I think a few other things that I can't remember now and no starch the first week) and taking some probiotics to rebalance my gut. Between all of that I felt that it eradicated it completely.

Hi pcnetwrx, I think you own a site that Tangal mentioned in one of her previous posts that sells MSM in powder form. Am I correct? Is this how you have gained knowledge of MSM (plus being the user yourself)? I was just wondering if the powder form is stronger than capsules. I am currently taking NSI brand MSM I bought from Vitacost.com. It has 1 g of MSM in each capsule. There's no other ingredient. I was reluctant to try the powder form as I heard it could taste bitter and I really hate bitter tasting things. But I guess if it works better, I'll have to try to overcome the taste issue. However before I ask you any more questions, I just want to see if you're who I think you are. Thank you! Smile
preenie
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:58 am      Reply with quote
pcnetwrx wrote:
preenie wrote:

Aaaa that's really interesting. I did start taking vit C at the same time so it could well be down to that.

Regarding Candida, I was diagnosed with it or something similar after having a routine smear. To honest I don't know much about it, apart from that it's yeast related. I'm going to go off and read about it now. I don't have it severely (well as far as I know!) So I hope I wont have to go to the extremes that you did, but it'll be great if the MSM can help.
Thanks for your response
Preenie

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
So...I've been taking MSM for less than a month now. I just came back from the doctor and I've lost 4 pds!!!!! Yaay, now, I have to say that I've been working out like 3-4 times a week for the past 5 wks. I weighed 133 3 wks ago. I can't say it was the MSM, but who knows maybe it helped.
pcnetwrx
5% products discount

Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
preenie wrote:
Regarding Candida, I was diagnosed with it or something similar after having a routine smear. To honest I don't know much about it, apart from that it's yeast related. I'm going to go off and read about it now.

In a nutshell, candida yeast is normally present in everyone's gut. It is kept there and in balance by the good bacteria that also resides there and feeds on it. But if you ever go through a course of antibiotics, the good bacteria as well as the bad bacteria is killed off. That leaves the candida without anything to keep it in check and it will grow like wildfire especially if sugars are not limited at the same time you are on antibiotics (ever have a doctor warn you about that?). At that point it can leave the gut and go throughout your entire system wreaking all sorts of havoc, especially if it reaches your brain (remember those anxiety/panic attacks that I used to have?). When it is throughout your body, it is very difficult to bring under control again. Many, many people have this systemic infection and don't even know it. But I had it so bad that I had brown patches on my skin where the skin folds so in that case, that clinches the diagnosis. For those that don't have the brown patches (yet), there are checklists of symptoms that I have seen, but I don't know where to refer you to in order to find the lists.
pcnetwrx
5% products discount

Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:43 pm      Reply with quote
bkkgirl wrote:
I was just wondering if the powder form is stronger than capsules.

I don't know that powder is stronger than capsules (although I do know people that would argue that it is), but MOST capsules do have other ingredients even if they are not listed. The real test is to open a capsule and dump it into a small glass of water. The MSM should go to the bottom of the glass right away and should eventually all dissolve. If it all floats on the surface, there are definitely excipients or other additives in it that prevent full absorption. It will usually never dissolve even if left for over a day. I even tried it in vinegar to simulate some stomach acid and it wouldn't dissolve.
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:04 pm      Reply with quote
pcnetwrx wrote:
bkkgirl wrote:
I was just wondering if the powder form is stronger than capsules.

I don't know that powder is stronger than capsules (although I do know people that would argue that it is), but MOST capsules do have other ingredients even if they are not listed. The real test is to open a capsule and dump it into a small glass of water. The MSM should go to the bottom of the glass right away and should eventually all dissolve. If it all floats on the surface, there are definitely excipients or other additives in it that prevent full absorption. It will usually never dissolve even if left for over a day. I even tried it in vinegar to simulate some stomach acid and it wouldn't dissolve.

I just tried your little experiment and it's sitting on top of the water. Is there a brand of MSM capsules that you'd recommend? I want to make sure that it's dissolving and helping. TIA

I'm taking Life Time Lignisul MSM. I thought was a good brand. It says on the bottle that is 100% Pure MSM.
pcnetwrx
5% products discount

Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
skincarefreak wrote:
I'm taking Life Time Lignisul MSM. I thought was a good brand. It says on the bottle that is 100% Pure MSM.

I replied privately to you on one of the questions, but I wanted to clarify something about brand names.

Lignisul MSM and OptiMSM are the two major US brands of MSM from the manufacturer. There are many bottlers, packagers, etc. like Life Time. If they use Lignisul MSM or OptiMSM, they are allowed to have that on the lable, but it does not mean that they didn't also add something else during their packaging process, but that really is supposed to also be listed, usually as "other inert ingredients". So all of that to say that just because Life Time apparently adds something, that does not mean that all Lignisul MSM is "suspect"--it will depend on the individual packager.
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:30 pm      Reply with quote
Yes,
other ingredients: Magnesium Sterate, Gelatin, Water.

I see what you mean. Thank you!
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:37 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you, PCNetwrx. I just opened up my NSI MSM which is supposed to have only OptiMSM in it, and it all floats. Nothing sinks! Wow! This is amazing. I wonder what kind of binders they put in it, and is it ok for them to list on their label that there's no other ingredient in it? I'm really disappointed in NSI now for lying.

I just sent your a PM with some questions. Thank you in advance.
Monica34
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:04 am      Reply with quote
I think if its a powder it will always float, since it is so fine.
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:36 am      Reply with quote
Monica34 wrote:

I wondered that as well lastnight.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:51 am      Reply with quote
Monica34 wrote:

I don't think so (and PCNetwrx and Tangal can correct me if I'm wrong), but I think the powder form they sell should sink. When I opened up my capsule, and dumped the content in water, I could see some film on top that prevented the powder to sink. I plan to order the MSM Powder and see if I could see better results. In the mean time, I'm going to increase my dosage of the capsules so not to waste it.
pcnetwrx
5% products discount

Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:53 am      Reply with quote
Monica34 wrote:
Powder is supposed to sink as well, and it should dissolve fairly quickly (like in a few minutes) if it is a powder. But the ones that I see float never dissolve.
Linda101
5% products discount

Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:23 pm      Reply with quote
I just tried the test with mine, opened capsule added to water. It all sank and was disolved a half hour later (may have been sooner, that's when I went back to look). Got mine at GNC store $9.00 for a bottle of 90, they only had 1000 though, not the 500 (not sure what the measurement is mg, I think)

The only additive stated was Titantiam Dixoide for whitner.
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
Linda101 wrote:
I just tried the test with mine, opened capsule added to water. It all sank and was disolved a half hour later (may have been sooner, that's when I went back to look). Got mine at GNC store $9.00 for a bottle of 90, they only had 1000 though, not the 500 (not sure what the measurement is mg, I think)

The only additive stated was Titantiam Dixoide for whitner.

Thank for letting us know. Smile
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
I use powdered and it sinks (I add to juice and it immediately sinks) - then I stir it with my straw while drinking to keep it suspended.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:34 pm      Reply with quote
my powder also all sinks right away, I stir it and drink. I usually add it to a large glass of Splenda Sweetened Iced Tea. (16 oz)

Sometimes juice.

No bitter taste then.
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
as far as candida goes. They say in the morning take a glass of water and spit in it. Then wait a couple minutes and then look at the sides of it, if you see "legs" coming down you have it. Shock Shock Shock
Monica34
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
pcnetwrx wrote:
Monica34 wrote:
Powder is supposed to sink as well, and it should dissolve fairly quickly (like in a few minutes) if it is a powder. But the ones that I see float never dissolve.

Oh okay - thats good to know - thanks Smile
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:39 am      Reply with quote
lucyluc wrote:
as far as candida goes. They say in the morning take a glass of water and spit in it. Then wait a couple minutes and then look at the sides of it, if you see "legs" coming down you have it. Shock Shock Shock

good grief. Embarassed

I sort of want to do it, but it's a wee bit.... eeew..
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:58 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |