Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
MSM - I lost body fat & tighter skin - anyone else too?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
havana8

Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:47 pm      Reply with quote
I think I may try this....

ConsumerLab.com "Home Test" for Disintegration:

How can I be sure that my pill will break apart?

We frequently receive questions about how to make sure that a vitamin or other supplement breaks apart properly so that it can be absorbed. Many people write to tell us that their vitamins won't break apart in tests that they do at home.

The question is a good one. To be useful, most supplements must first disintegrate and dissolve in the gut for their ingredients to be absorbed and enter the bloodstream. Pills that don't disintegrate properly can't dissolve and be absorbed; they will simply pass through the body unused. The standard laboratory test for disintegration (part of the test formally known as the United States Pharmacopeia [USP] "Disintegration and Dissolution of Nutritional Supplements" method) attempts to mimic conditions in the gut. During the test, the product under investigation is continuously agitated in an acidic solution for up to 45 minutes. In that time, the pill should fall apart.

This disintegration test is one of the battery of tests to which ConsumerLab.com subjects all tablet and caplet products in its Product Reviews. If a product fails this test, it can not be listed as "Approved" by ConsumerLab.com. Some manufacturers claim their products meet the USP specification, although the claim shouldn't be taken as certainty.

Where this is most common?

Poor disintegration is most common with vitamin and mineral supplements. However, other products, including herbals, sold in tightly packed or heavily coated tablets or caplets, may also have poor disintegration, remaining intact after the 45-minute acid test. Most capsules, by contrast, fall apart easily, and most chewable products (as long as they're chewed) disintegrate. Poor disintegration can result from poor manufacturing practices and quality control.

The CL Home Test:

To determine for yourself your supplement's ability to disintegrate, try the following test (it isn't foolproof, but it does yield helpful information):

* Heat 1/2-cup of vinegar in a heat-safe cup on the hot-plate portion of a coffee machine to 98.6º F (body temperature). For a quick check of the temperature, use an instant-read thermometer, and don't allow it to rest on the bottom of the cup where heat is most intense, giving a false reading.
* Place a pill in the cup, then stir continuously for 30 to 45 minutes, without hitting the pill and keeping the temperature near 98.6º F. If necessary, move the cup on and off the heat to maintain a constant temperature.
* Uncoated or thinly coated products should disintegrate in about 30 minutes; gelatin-coated and hard-coated products may require the full time.
* Note: This test may not work with "time-release" or "sustained-release" products. And be aware that "chewable" products are meant to be broken down by chewing and "enteric-coated" products should not fully break apart in this test since they are supposed to release their ingredients farther down the gut in the intestines.

Remember, this test isn't as rigorous as a laboratory test, but it is more accurate than simply dropping the supplement into cold vinegar.

http://www.consumerlab.com/results/hometest.asp
starter2expert
5% products discount

Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:07 pm      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99 wrote:
starter2expert wrote:
May I know is this MSM the same thing to help you conjunctions?

Hi starter2expert! I think you are asking if this is the same MSM that is used to help joints and if so, then yes you are correct. If not, please explain what a conjunction is as I am unsure. Thanks!

Hi TAMgirl99, yes, that's what I meant! Thank you so much for your reply and sorry for confusing you! I didn't know MSM can help to lose weight and with skin and nails. Amazing!
Sundew
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:45 pm      Reply with quote
I think MSM is making me loose weight to but I'm not happy about it..(ducks as people throw things at me Smile)

My normal weight range use to be 108-112, I stopped taking birth control and dropped to 105-106. I stepped on our scale the other day and I was 100lbs Shock! I double checked my weight on my parents scale and was 102 (fully clothed w/shoes), NOT GOOD IMO. I've also started doing Winsor Pilates again but I've only done it about 6 times so far so I don't think that would do it alone so fast?

I started taking Vitex in the morning, MSM at lunch, and Hair, Skin and Nails supplement before bed.
I've been eating lots of almonds and string cheese hoping to get some more fat on me..going to buy some bread to dip in olive oil...

I guess I should stop the MSM and see if I gain the weight back easier that way. hmm

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:56 pm      Reply with quote
Sundew wrote:
I think MSM is making me loose weight to but I'm not happy about it..(ducks as people throw things at me Smile)

My normal weight range use to be 108-112, I stopped taking birth control and dropped to 105-106. I stepped on our scale the other day and I was 100lbs Shock! I double checked my weight on my parents scale and was 102 (fully clothed w/shoes), NOT GOOD IMO. I've also started doing Winsor Pilates again but I've only done it about 6 times so far so I don't think that would do it alone so fast?

I started taking Vitex in the morning, MSM at lunch, and Hair, Skin and Nails supplement before bed.
I've been eating lots of almonds and string cheese hoping to get some more fat on me..going to buy some bread to dip in olive oil...

I guess I should stop the MSM and see if I gain the weight back easier that way. hmm

Hello Sundew,
Do you mind telling us how much MSM you take each day? What is Vitex?
Thanks first,
Wild Cat

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:19 pm      Reply with quote
Hi WildCat,

"Vitex, or chaste tree, is found throughout the Mediterranean; however, it is mostly collected in Albania and Morocco. The ripe dried fruit is typically used medicinally. Vitex is traditionally used for female imbalances. Vitex is often used for menstruation complaints and is thought to help balance out female hormones." ...Hoping it will help with hormonal breakouts.

As for the MSM, I'm only taking 1000mg.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:19 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Hello Sundew,
Do you mind telling us how much MSM you take each day? What is Vitex?
Thanks first,
Wild Cat

Hi Wildcat - I wanted to know too and found this:
http://www.susunweed.com/Article_Vitex_RedMoonHerbs.htm

VITEX Chasteberry
A supreme hormonal tonic for women

Outside my window a lovely little shrub with silvery leaves and clusters of purple flowers is just beginning to bloom. Not only is this plant one of the most beautiful in the garden, it is also one of the most valuable herbs in my medicine chest.

Vitex, also known as Chasteberry or Monk's Pepper, has an ancient reputation as an an-aphrodisiac for men. The leaves were strewn at the feet of novices as they entered the monastery. However neither modern science nor practical experience supports this particular use of the plant!

VITEX Chasteberry A supreme hormonal tonic for women

I use Vitex as a supreme hormonal tonic for women. Both extensive clinical studies, as well as over two thousand years of use in folk medicine, have proven the effectiveness of this remedy. It works by stimulating and normalizing the pituitary gland, which regulates the balance of estrogen and progesterone in the body.

In a normal menstrual cycle estrogen is higher before ovulation and progesterone is higher after. Many women don't realize that an imbalance of these hormones can lead to the entire range of symptoms associated with PMS and menopause! Vitex usually has the effect of enhancing progesterone and decreasing estrogen levels.

Vitex itself has none of the hormonal building blocks that many of the medicinal plants used for the reproductive system contain. Instead, this herb nourishes and supports the endocrine system to find its own balance. David Hoffman, a well-known herbalist, says "Vitex will always enable what is appropriate to occur."

Almost all of symptoms associated with the menstrual cycle can be treated with this plant. It is the single best herb for treating the many possible symptoms of PMS: cramps, flooding, headaches, depression, water retention, constipation, acne, breast tenderness, and irritability. It can help normalize irregular or scanty periods.

It is especially helpful for women who are coming off the birth control pill. For many women, cycles remain irregular for up to two years after stopping the pill. Vitex can greatly shorten that time and helps ease the body into regaining its own natural rhythm.

It is a wonderful tonic to enhance the chances of conception through its ability to regulate ovulation and if taken through the first trimester, vitex will reduce the chances of miscarriage. After the birth, it helps a new mother to produce plenty of milk.

Vitex also offers many benefits to women who are menopausal. It helps to relieve many of the uncomfortable symptoms of this transition time, including hot flashes, irregular cycles, depression, and flooding. Vitex is also an indispensable remedy for women with uterine fibroids, fibrocystic breasts, or endometriosis. All of these conditions proliferate under the influence of estrogen and shrink under the influence of progesterone.

This plant may be taken in tea form, although I prefer the tincture (alcohol extract). The dosage of is usually 30-50 drops, three times per day. Like all herbs, Vitex works best when combined with a lifestyle that includes pure water, whole food, gentle exercise, and plenty of self-love. Although you won't find it in the wild, Vitex is easy to grow in our bioregion. Just remember to leave it plenty of space, since it can get up to seventeen feet tall!
Vitex is a slow-acting herb. I usually recommend allowing three full cycles for the plant to really work its magic, and many women take it for up to several years. In the thousands of years that it has been in use, there are no reports of even the mildest side effects. Vitex is a safe, gentle, and effective remedy, with something to offer women in every cycle of life.
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:41 pm      Reply with quote
Vitex really sounds interesting. What is the optimal amount to take? I found one 80mg? or 400mg? If it can take away some of my PMS bit*hiness, my DH would be very happy Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:42 am      Reply with quote
Wild Cat wrote:
Vitex really sounds interesting. What is the optimal amount to take? I found one 80mg? or 400mg? If it can take away some of my PMS bit*hiness, my DH would be very happy Very Happy

Laughing For his sake then...
I've searched and it seems like everyone recommends different doses. I think finding your optimal dose would require going to a licensed naturopathic physician. I bought my bottle from Whole Foods, it's 500MG but only contains 125MGs of Chaste Berry Extract and .5% Agnusides (standardized).

"As a general guideline, your daily dose could be:

* 60 drops of vitex tincture, standardized to contain 0.6% agusides.
* 175 mg. or more of standardized vitex extract, standardized to contain 0.6% agusides.

Chasteberry can be taken daily for up to 18 continuous months, unless pregnancy occurs. Vitex is usually taken in the morning as a single daily dose.

Warning: The quality of botanical supplements varies widely. Don't buy any herbal or botanical product unless it has a "standardized" amount of the active component listed on the label. A "standardized" product has a consistent amount of active ingredients from one bottle to the next."
http://www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/vitex.html

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:42 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Sundew,
I guess I will try the 80mg (0.6% Aucubin)...
Is this the same standardized active?
Aucubin = agusides???? Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:50 am      Reply with quote
I had tried taking vitex a couple of years ago. My stomach couldn't handle it. I don't know if it was the supplement or something in the supplement, but I'd really need to use it to try again.
Sundew
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:49 am      Reply with quote
Wild Cat wrote:
Thanks Sundew,

Looks like vitex/chasteberry contains both aucubin and agnusides but the agnusides are the active ingredient. Although, they are both iridoid glycosides (? haven't a clue what that means). Smile
http://www.answers.com/topic/chasteberry-tree

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:52 am      Reply with quote
Sundew wrote:
Wild Cat wrote:
Thanks Sundew,

Looks like vitex/chasteberry contains both aucubin and agnusides but the agnusides are the active ingredient. Although, they are both iridoid glycosides (? haven't a clue what that means). Smile
http://www.answers.com/topic/chasteberry-tree

Thanks Sundew,
After reading it...I have no clue what it means too and whether Aucubin is useless...compare to agusides. I haven't found a Canadian supplier with standardized agusides... Confused

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply, PC. Smile

I've been taking about 4 grams (divided dose) for a week or so (worked up to it) and haven't noticed any difference. I know it's soon, though! Razz

Anyone still having positive results? Let's hear about them! Thanks!
blaziamm
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:57 pm      Reply with quote
That is really amazing, and I need to check this out.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:29 am      Reply with quote
I notice with the MSM that my allergy to my cat is very much minimised. I also notice that I need less sleep, and less food.

Shock !
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
I have learned soooo much from this thread! I've been taking MSM for about a year now, but I now realize that 1000 mg was not enough to make the difference in my skin that I was looking for. Even so, at that dose my hair started growing like crazy! I keep my hair just below chin-length, and I have to go in for cuts at 4-5 weeks. I need to touch up gray roots at 3-4 weeks 'cuz it's growing so fast, not because of fading.

Since gradually upping my dosage to 4000 mg and adding Biosil during the last month, I have not seen any dramatic changes in my skin.Sad I was hoping to see improvement in my melasma. My hair just looks better and better, though!Very Happy

Next step: adding vit C to my daily supplements.

Oh, and I also experienced the need for less sleep, too! Along with it, lots of energy.

I wish I could say it helped me lose weight, but sadly, that is not the case for me. Crying or Very sad

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:53 pm      Reply with quote
What an interesting thread! I think I will give the MSM a try. Funny how the discussion morphed to Vitex/Chasteberry, which I think is a great product. I used the HERBPHARM tincture,and took a dropperful once a day in the morning. It was incredibly helpful for perimenopause,and I never had to go any hormones. The Vitex along with Salmon oil, calcium, evening of Primrose , Zinc and a couple other things really did the trick for me. It also helped delay the weight gain for a couple of years!! But...back to MSM, now that the weight has crept on, I WILL give it a try
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:08 am      Reply with quote
I am now up to about 6000 mg a day of MSM, and after several months of diligently taking MSM twice a day, with Vit C, increasing my dosage gradually, I can now report: No tighter skin, no lost weight. I do believe there are benefits to taking MSM, but those are not some of them. I believe it's giving people false hope to think that will happen.
Jeannine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:39 am      Reply with quote
Hi, Sundew.

I've had exactly the same problems trying to keep my weight up, and MSM might not have anything to do with it. With me, my metabolism is the cause, and exercising speeds up my already fast metabolism (I'm a dance and fitness instructor). I can eat all the carbs I want and they just burn away. Protein and healthy fat, however, help to add weight. When my weight drops below what I want it to be, I start drinking 2 or 3 Ensure a day in addition to eating as much protein and healthy fats as possible (much more than what a normal person would eat). Since I added the Ensure, I've been able to keep my weight where I want it. Ensure is an easy way to pack in calories without feeling overly bloated and full. Good luck!

Sundew wrote:

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:47 am      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
I am now up to about 6000 mg a day of MSM, and after several months of diligently taking MSM twice a day, with Vit C, increasing my dosage gradually, I can now report: No tighter skin, no lost weight. I do believe there are benefits to taking MSM, but those are not some of them. I believe it's giving people false hope to think that will happen.

What, if any, benefits have you seen from taking it? I am taking 1 tsp 2x a day, so that's 8 g a day. I no longer lose weight. I think it stabilizes after your body gets used to it. I no longer pass so much gas, too. LOL (Sorry to be disgusting but that's one of the side effects, but I think my body totally adapted to taking the thing, so it doesn't do that any more.) I think my hair does grow faster. I have to plug unwanted hair more often. I don't really get the more energy stuff. I still feel tired, but that's probably I go to bed too late. I'm catching up this weekend. hehe
meggiequn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:57 am      Reply with quote
bkkgirl wrote:
mountaingirl wrote:

What, if any, benefits have you seen from taking it? I am taking 1 tsp 2x a day, so that's 8 g a day. I no longer lose weight. I think it stabilizes after your body gets used to it. I no longer pass so much gas, too. LOL (Sorry to be disgusting but that's one of the side effects, but I think my body totally adapted to taking the thing, so it doesn't do that any more.) I think my hair does grow faster. I have to plug unwanted hair more often. I don't really get the more energy stuff. I still feel tired, but that's probably I go to bed too late. I'm catching up this weekend. hehe

Could I ask which brand you choose? Or just any MSM?
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:08 pm      Reply with quote
I don't think I lost weight but I didn't gain weight yet. The reason why I thought I should gain weight is I think MSM has made me hungry more easily. I didn't get the appetite control effect but the complete opposite! Confused
Oh well...graping myself more food Bad Grin

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:49 pm      Reply with quote
meggiequn wrote:
bkkgirl wrote:
mountaingirl wrote:

Could I ask which brand you choose? Or just any MSM?

Hi, I take Lignisul brand in powder form. I bought it from an ebay seller but only after I confirmed with him/her that it was Lignisul brand only. It's 99.9% pure MSM with 0.1% water to make up the rest. I must say I really hate the bitter taste, which is strong at 1 tsp. I chose this seller only b/c they guarantee their product and it seemed they were really fast at answering my questions on ebay. They got 100% feedback. Their price was really good, too. The powder MSM they sell comes in a plastic canister. I bought their one lb size. When I talked to them, they got a few canisters left in one lb size in that brand. I don't know if they still got any left. They said they're not going to buy more Lignisul, so if I run out, I'll have to check with them what brand they carry now. I only want the US made brands.
Sundew
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
Jeannine wrote:
Hi, Sundew.

I've had exactly the same problems trying to keep my weight up, and MSM might not have anything to do with it. With me, my metabolism is the cause, and exercising speeds up my already fast metabolism (I'm a dance and fitness instructor). I can eat all the carbs I want and they just burn away. Protein and healthy fat, however, help to add weight. When my weight drops below what I want it to be, I start drinking 2 or 3 Ensure a day in addition to eating as much protein and healthy fats as possible (much more than what a normal person would eat). Since I added the Ensure, I've been able to keep my weight where I want it. Ensure is an easy way to pack in calories without feeling overly bloated and full. Good luck!

Thanks Jeannie, I think you are right. Just a little bit of exercise and my metabolism went into overdrive. I'm still taking the MSM. I've got my weight back up to where I want it just by eating a lot more. I've never tried Ensure but will check it out next time I go to the grocery store. Thanks again Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:31 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for sharing--this IS an interesting thread!
I've noticed more energy and an all around general well being since taking it. That's enough for me for now. I got a pound, too so here's to taking MSM for a while Very Happy
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |