Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

MSM - I lost body fat & tighter skin - anyone else too?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
MissCay
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:40 am      Reply with quote
I've just bought a bottle of GNC MSM, haven't tried. I have curious that can we apply it directly on skin?

I have unexpected result on my hair which becomes stronger and healthier after beginning to take Lecithin daily. I don't know why Rolling Eyes Lecithin can have good effect on hair Question . Then I even apply the Lecithin oil to the hair root as hair mask. It gives amazing result!
Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:10 am      Reply with quote
I can not be 100% sure but I beleive that taking MSM in a powder or crystal form yields better results! I take the crystal form and dissolve it in my hot tea and I am noticing good results.
Shoba
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:22 am      Reply with quote
No need to talk to doctor or something? how do you know what is the dosage is good for you or not???
jakee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
Shoba wrote:
No need to talk to doctor or something? how do you know what is the dosage is good for you or not???

You don't know. It hasn't been tested, as far as I know. You take it at your own risk.

Here's what I posted on the bottom of page 11:

"Also, heres's an artilce re: risks/benefits. Can't speak to the veracity of the source, but food for thought, at least. Presents positive and negative.
I started taking it, too, but am always cautious/concerned about adding a new supplement in large amounts.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Methylsulfonylmethane-(MSM)-andHealth&id=448386
"Methylsulfonylmethane is not yet approved by the Food and Drug Administration; you might, therefore, be taking a risk if you choose to use this supplement. That being said, MSM is believed to work well by enhancing the effectiveness of pain medications allowing, as a result, their dosages to be reduced. MSM is compatible with most pain medications.

MSM is a sulfur based supplement; and sulfur is necessary for producing collagen, the primary component of cartilage, skin, and connective tissues.

You should be aware, before using MSM, whether or not you have an allergy to sulfa based medication and supplements.

How Methylsulfonylmethane Can Improve Health

Methylsulfonylmethane, reported to be effective as a pain reliever, also promotes wellness, and supplies the body with sulfur. It helps to relieve heartburn and acid stomach, allergies, and arthritis, and may prevent breast cancer.

MSM: Things to Watch Out For

MSM, like all medications, produces side effect; and, as with all medications, some of its side effects will go away over time. Other, more serious side effects could eventually be life-threatening. You should know the risks before taking any vitamin, supplement, or prescription medications.

MSM’s basic side effects are headaches and diarrhea; the more serious allergic reactions it can cause include rash, itching, swelling, dizziness, and breathing problems.

A doctor should be consulted immediately if these effects occur or are prolonged.

If you have any sulfa related allergies, are pregnant, or are breast feeding, it’s imperative that you consulting your doctor before using MSM If you are breast feeding, your child can ingest MSM from your breast milk..

Because a negative interaction between medicines can cause very serious problems, ask you doctor if taking Methylsulfonylmethane will interfere with your other medications. Also let the doctor know of any allergies you might have.

Once again, you must be aware that MSM is not approved by the Food and Drug Administration and if you choose to use it, you do so at your own risk.

You should, to prevent a negative inter-reaction, alert your doctor to all medical conditions and allergies you have, and medications you are taking. You should also, in the interests of your own safety, protection, and well-being, consult with your doctor before using this product or making any changes in your medications, diet, or vitamin regimen. The same recommendation holds for Total Balance, discussed on many pages of our website as our supplement of choice, Our How To Maximize Methylsulfonylmethane benefits

Because nutritional supplement production, both in the U.S. and other countries is largely unregulated, both governmental and private studies have shown that consumers of nutritional supplements have only a 1 in 5 chance of purchasing a supplement contain the amount of ingredients stated on the product label, or worse yet, a supplement that is not contaminated with health-impairing toxins.

We therefore advise consumers to buy health supplements from pharmaceutical GMP compliant facilities, which adhere to the world’s most exacting manufacturing standards. Doing as we suggest will ensure you of getting contaminant-free Methylsulfonylmethane, in the full amount for which you have paid."

AND THIS:
http://health.yahoo.com/topic/arthritis/treatment/qanda/mayoclinic/C2BFC2FA-4AF6-426F-AD78C67CF11D02D6

"Last Updated: 06/06/2005
Q:
Are there any negative long-term effects from taking MSM for arthritis pain?
A:
Very few studies have examined long-term effects of the dietary supplement called methylsulfonylmethane (MSM). One study suggested that it's safe to take MSM for up to 30 days. But further research is needed to assess its safety for long-term use.

MSM occurs naturally in some fruits, vegetables and grains. But it's also sold as a dietary supplement. Manufacturers of these supplements have touted MSM as a treatment for a variety of conditions, including chronic pain, arthritis, headaches, asthma, sinusitis, constipation and Alzheimer's disease.

However, only a few clinical trials have looked at the possible effectiveness of MSM in treating these conditions in humans. One small study suggested that MSM may relieve pain due to osteoarthritis. A couple of other studies suggested it may reduce symptoms of hay fever (allergic rhinitis).

Although there is great interest in using MSM to treat a variety of conditions, little evidence supports either its benefits or safety. Potential side effects of taking MSM include stomach upset, diarrhea and headache.

As with most dietary supplements, research trials involving MSM have generally been small in size and of relatively short duration. Keep this in mind as you make decisions regarding the use of dietary supplements.

© 1998-2006 Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research (MFMER). All rights reserved. A single copy of these materials may be reprinted for noncommercial personal use only. "Mayo," "Mayo Clinic," "MayoClinic.com," "Mayo Clinic Health Information," "Reliable information for a healthier life" and the triple-shield Mayo logo are trademarks of Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research." "
londonfan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Jakee for the information. I am really interested in taking MSM after hearing the raves on this forum, but I also like to be educated before I buy (another) supplement.
gellys
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:53 am      Reply with quote
Has anyone here read Vanessa Wild's book, Melasma Is this the Clear Solution? And if so, how long have you been taking MSM? And if you have hyperpigmentation have you noticed any changes? I'm just curious to see if it actually works, and if it will really get rid of dermal melasma. Thanks for your help in advance!
Loumomofthree
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:43 am      Reply with quote
catballou wrote:
I drink powdered Emergen-C drink with MSM, and I rub MSM cream into my joints at night.

I have been drinking the Emergen-C (originally bought it for dh cold). I read that vitamin C helps with puffy under eyes..so a drinking I went.. but I don't see where it has where it has msm in it...can any one clarify...?
I plan on going to GNC this week to get their multi-vitamin and hope to get some powdered msm..I have a terrible time with pills..make my stomach TERRIBLY upset. Can I get most vitamins in powder form?? I need to take calcium..
Thanks Lou Very Happy
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:55 am      Reply with quote
Emergen-C does make the same product only it also has MSM in it.
Toby
wancy_2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:56 am      Reply with quote
it is amazing. but where can i get MSM?
Loumomofthree
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:29 am      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:
Emergen-C does make the same product only it also has MSM in it.
Toby

Do you know how much msm it contains..and does it say msm on the front of the box or only in the ingredient list. Is this a good form of vitamin c and msm??

thanks, Lou
londonfan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:30 am      Reply with quote
wancy_2000 wrote:
it is amazing. but where can i get MSM?

healthstores, supplement-stores, online
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:40 am      Reply with quote
I am looking at my box of the packets(I ordered several boxes) it says it has 1,000 mg of C and 1,000 of MSM and vit.b3 and b12 it is flavored lite natural citrus it also 32 active mineral complexes.
Toby
Loumomofthree
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:55 am      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:
I am looking at my box of the packets(I ordered several boxes) it says it has 1,000 mg of C and 1,000 of MSM and vit.b3 and b12 it is flavored lite natural citrus it also 32 active mineral complexes.
Toby

thanks Toby my emergent isn't the lite..I will look for it.
Lou
gellys
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:06 pm      Reply with quote
I've been on MSM+Vit C and using this device ab marvel mini. I was wondering if anyone who has been taking MSM notices more dandruff on their scalp? I know this may be somewhat of a weird reaction, but ever since I've been taking MSM, I've noticed more dandruff. And it's not like I'm not showering...I shower daily and started using Head and Shoulders even to stop this dandruff madness...I know I read somewhere that one side effect is yeast infections...I don't have a yeast infection just a larger amt of dandruff on the scalp. And I remember someone saying something about dandruff is actually yeast. Ok, I apologize if some people may be grossed out by this...but I think it's a side effect of MSM or could it just be me..hmmm. Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated regarding this matter:)
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:16 am      Reply with quote
I"ve been taking MSM daily for a couple of years now. Here's what it has and has not done for me:

Has not: helped with melasma/hyperpigmentiation
Has not: caused or brought about weight loss
Has not: thickened hair

It has: given me headaches when I first started taking it, as well as gas and loose stools (from taking too much,too soon)
It has: sped up the growth of nails/hair
It has: helped my joints, particularly worn out knees, (combined with taking glucosamine and chondroitan.) I also feel like it has helped my muscular development. This is hard to explain, but I used to "pull" muscles very easily, and now I feel like my whole muscular/skeletal frame is more "solid" and the MSM has helped to improve the overall structural integrity of my body.

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
Loumomofthree
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:07 am      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
I"ve been taking MSM daily for a couple of years now. Here's what it has and has not done for me:

Has not: helped with melasma/hyperpigmentiation
Has not: caused or brought about weight loss
Has not: thickened hair

It has: given me headaches when I first started taking it, as well as gas and loose stools (from taking too much,too soon)
It has: sped up the growth of nails/hair
It has: helped my joints, particularly worn out knees, (combined with taking glucosamine and chondroitan.) I also feel like it has helped my muscular development. This is hard to explain, but I used to "pull" muscles very easily, and now I feel like my whole muscular/skeletal frame is more "solid" and the MSM has helped to improve the overall structural integrity of my body.

Thanks for the honest review.
I still plan on taking it but I tend to focus on what "I" want a product to do for me and need to realize that it isin't the same for everyone..therefore it lessens the disappointment. Very Happy for instance the Clarisonic..I do like it but I don't love it like most do..sorry.. Cool

Lou...
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:25 am      Reply with quote
Agree with Mountain girl = I've been taking for almost 9 months and have seen improvement with hair and nail growth. Strength of nails: not sure about that. Hair: mine is thick enough but I think it may be a little stronger.

It does seem to help my knees and overall body integrity also. IT may be doing good things for my skin but I can't be sure with everything else I'm doing!
gellys
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:51 pm      Reply with quote
Mtngirl and Sistersweets~

I'm wondering how much MSM did you take daily? I'm curious if it is maybe that you may have not taken enough of a dosage....I don't want to scare anyone, but I take about 12,000/g a day. And I've been taking MSM for a month now. Of course, I didn't start off taking 12,000 right from the start, but at this point I am. I read Vanessa Wild's book, and it gave me hope, and also read other's views on MSM on this forum. I guess, I'm just curious how much of it you ladies were taking...I am trying to treat my dermal hyperpigm. cheeks..

My combo is msm+vitc+marvel mini green, and i'm hoping it will be helpful!

Thank you all who participate in this forum without everybody on here, I would be lost w/my skincare regimen. This forum has helped me a great deal with trying to battle it out w/hyperpigmented cheeks. Hyperpigmenation is yuckie to me, and I want a solution! I hope I am able to help people as well because if I find out what works for me, I will be more than happy to share w/everybody:) Ok, I'll stop w/my ranting about hyperpigm.
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:54 pm      Reply with quote
wow! Shock I've never heard of taking 12,000 mgs. I was taking about 2500 - 3000mgs a day, but now am down to about 1500 because I frequently don't get my morning dose down. Since it has to be taken with food, I can't seem to coordinate the two! gellys...Don't you have a lot of gas from that high dosage? Honestly, I am very skeptical about it helping with hyperpigmentation. I have more of that than ever, but I don't attribute it to MSM of course. I think MSM works on the inside, but I'm not so sure about how it would eliminate discoloration on the skin surface. However...If it works for you gellys, sign me up!!!

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
Mau
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
I've been browsing Amazon recently trying to find more information about this book http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0962052728/ref=ord_cart_shr?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance (Flood Your Body with Oxygen by Ed McCabe)
After reading a lot of positive reviews I decided to check the author's website and found a short article about MSM.
http://www.oxygenhealth.com/sulfur.html
The author says that MSM is a not toxic sulfur-based oxygenator and if we don't have "enough dietary sulfur our cell walls become inflexible, they harden and can't 'breathe.' Increasing loss of cell wall permeability means low oxygen transport into and low waste removal out of the cells!"
He quotes Keith Ranch, Planet of Health
"MSM is so important in maintaining good health and flexibility in the tendons, mussels, ligaments, skin and nerves and serves so many other vital functions in the body. Just to name a few:

Oxygenates the blood so that red blood cells can deliver more oxygen and nutrients to the cells.
Improves the lung and all cell permeability to increase lung capacity and increase oxygen intake to the body.
Helps neutralize allergenic reaction to pollen, different types of foods, animals and fat allergies.
Increases bile-function and has a cleansing effect in the digestive tract.
Protects against the harmful effects of toxins, radiation, and pollution.
the blood, resists bacteria and protects the protoplasm of the cells.
Helps to normalize, allergic reactions, stress, drug hypersensitivity, inflammation of mucous membranes, and inflammatory disorders including all forms of arthritis, muscle cramps, and infectious parasites of all kinds.
Is excellent in maintaining flexibility in arteries, improving oxygen flow and keeping the arteries clean and clear of arterial plaque from forming."

I only hope that this is a truth Smile
Updating my opinion about MSM..
Personally, I see only one effect that I connect with MSM: before I had a very bad chronic cough (I never smoked by the way), now it is much better.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:10 pm      Reply with quote
Great information about MSM!!Thanks for bringing that to us.
Toby
MACrisis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:21 pm      Reply with quote
gellys wrote:
I've been on MSM+Vit C and using this device ab marvel mini. I was wondering if anyone who has been taking MSM notices more dandruff on their scalp? I know this may be somewhat of a weird reaction, but ever since I've been taking MSM, I've noticed more dandruff. And it's not like I'm not showering...I shower daily and started using Head and Shoulders even to stop this dandruff madness...I know I read somewhere that one side effect is yeast infections...I don't have a yeast infection just a larger amt of dandruff on the scalp. And I remember someone saying something about dandruff is actually yeast. Ok, I apologize if some people may be grossed out by this...but I think it's a side effect of MSM or could it just be me..hmmm. Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated regarding this matter:)

Now it explains. I began taking MSM last June and high dosage(8g am, 7g pm) since last August. I got 2 yeast infections within 2 months since last December. And it's never really gone until I begin to take Natren Trinity (Probiotic).

10 months MSM helped my lower back pain and knees but I did not really see any improvement on my melasma. And I don't know why I got sick so often now. I used to get sick every few years but since last December I was sick 3 times already. I eat healthy (vegetarian), work out at least 5 times a week, I don't drink or smoke....... I don't know what happened.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:53 pm      Reply with quote
This is the first time I heard of MSM. For those that seen results, please reply with the brand you are taking, where I can find them and the dose. I am over 40 and found it difficult to lose weight. If MSM is as good as you said, I am all for it. Thanks
gellys
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:40 pm      Reply with quote
MACrisis~I believe I read it on skincare forums that a possible side effect is yeast infections.

As far as gas goes, I think my body is used to the MSM, so I am actually okay. You have to remember to eat healthy and drink lots of water while taking MSM. Drinking lots of water is crucial because it will flush out the toxins in your body, otherwise, you wont reap the benefits of the MSM. That's what Vanessa Wild stresses in her book. Oh yes, and avoiding caffeine is a good idea when taking MSM or you may tend to feel a bit light headed.

I am currently taking a powder form of MSM. I purchased it online at msm-msm.com It's the Linguisil processed form, which is what is recommended. But OptiMSM brand is also recommended. Whichever you buy, you must make sure that it is PURE. Vanessa Wild stresses that too...I mean not everything is 100% pure, but 99.9% should be fine. You can also purchase it at GNC. My first bottle I bought from GNC was from the Trimedica brand and it was Linguisil processed...It was $36, but you can find better deals online. Please just make sure that it is pure, I think that's the crucial component.

I'm trying to combat dermal hyperpigm. of the cheeks, and I'm not giving up on MSM yet because it's only been a month...And some have said it takes even 6 months-1 year to see results...They are slow, but it could still happen...I have faith! I believe that my dermal hyperpigm. is something that is within my body, and I think that the MSM will help cleanse it out...I really do mean it, reading Ms. Wild's book gave me the inspiration and hope to continue on with taking copious amounts of MSM...We will see what happens, and if it works I will definitely let everyone know on the TOP of my lungs!!!! Smile
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:00 am      Reply with quote
Yes, that is a very interesting article. Thanks for posting. I need to report one other health issue that has improved since beginning MSM. I didn't correlate it to the MSM, but maybe I should. I have chronic sinus infections but in the last 2 years, they have tremendously decreased. I attributed that to being hypervigilent about doing daily sinus washes (with a Neti Pot or Water Pik) but maybe the MSM should get the credit! BTW, I take JARROW Formulas MSM in powder form.

System
Automatic Message
Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:10 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |