Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
MSM - I lost body fat & tighter skin - anyone else too?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:37 am      Reply with quote
when starting MSM start with small doses once a day with some food in your stomach of a meal. Taking on an empty stomach can increase stomach upset in some people.

Start with 500 mg. GRADUALLY work up your dose.
Drink lots of water to help flush your system.

MSM is a natural sulfer componant in the human body, it is part of all tissues, and a key componant part of skin, hair, nails, joints, and structer tissues.

I have some links on MSM but need to find them, I will add later.

A little info is here:
www.msm-msm.com andwww.bio-alternatives.net - These are two sites I recomend and but from.

Info on the detox effect, and how to lessen that. http://www.msm-msm.com/faq.html

Messageboard section covers uses of MSM.
http://www.msm-msm.com/board/viewforum.php?f=5&sid=f33df6007409cae587e71eb616c2dfd1

I will add links later I have info on how it helps hair growth and skin pigmentation issues.
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:50 am      Reply with quote
Some info from online - I can’t personally comment on validity of these claims. But info to look at anyway.

I personally don’t think MSM is a cure all as some claim. But it can be benificial.

Info on MSM and Hyper pigmentation

http://skincarerx.com/phorum/read.php?3,21783

What is MSM? - for all the newcomers
Posted by: Moderator (24.73.65.---)
Date: July 5, 2006 02:39PM

Posted earlier today by Jesse and originally posted by Ness Wild

Author: Ness (---.mirashade.com)
Date: 09-17-02 09:05

Hi to all newcomers!

This info has been copied/modified and updated (8 months in on this experiment and it has been necessary to update the info accordingly due to relevant feedback/queries etc) from older identical threads that I have posted intermittently which are now on an older pages of this forum and it is for all newcomers to MSM only who may not have come across these older threads - please do not tag onto or reply to this thread. Once you have read the info required, if you choose to try this treatment out as well, just tag onto the other threads for chat/extra queries/results to share etc....

The following is all you should need to know regarding MSM brands and dosage guidelines etc along with info about some fairly minor side effects that you may just experience whilst taking it:

(Firstly though, as I am sure most of you already have done, do read all threads related to MSM for the full picture; you will obtain plenty of info from these threads and will come across many girls who share your situation (site of melasma, whether or not they too are responding to MSM, whether the drugs/BCP’s they have to still take are hindering their results etc) and they will prove to contain invaluable advice/tips for you that we have all shared.)

A few common questions are also highlighted along with the necessary info:

a) ‘Will it help melasma of the upper lip too like it does for those with melasma elsewhere on the face?’ Yes it could do, even for that of the body.

b) ‘Will it affect/interfere with the medication I have to currently take?’ No, not at all.

c) ‘Is it safe?’ It has been shown to have 1/7 the toxicity of table salt. i.e. it’s 7 times safer than table salt. In a study done on humans, MSM was shown to have no negative side effects at 1 g/kg body weight. That means around 68 g/day for a 150 Ib (pound weight) person. N.B. Do not take at the same time as blood thinning or blood pressure medication and aspirin, or if you have epilepsy or any kidney disorder without first consulting your GP, physician or nurse.

d) ‘What is it?’ A nutrient - an organic compound that is as essential as oxygen, nitrogen, hydrogen and carbon needed by the body for good health and proper and normal cellular-function - crucially, it no longer appears to be abundantly available in our over-processed and refined foods and little is found in the over-farmed soils too - with this decline seems to have come an increase in ailments and disease.

e) ‘I am allergic to sulphites/DMSO etc, will I have a reaction with MSM?’ No, do not get confused between the two. MSM is an organic sulphur and a vital nutrient. MSM presents organic sulphur in a form that the body can readily assimilate. It is a dietary metabolite of DMSO, however, whilst they both possess similar biomedical properties, MSM does not produce the unpleasant side effects that can be observed with DMSO. Sulpha-based drugs do not occur naturally and are used for the same purposes as antibiotics. Many people are allergic to sulpha drugs, however, no similar reactions have ever been reported with MSM. A third type of sulphur, the yellow elemental sulphur from chemistry class, can also be toxic to some individuals. You may, however, only get a rash if you take too much too soon and/or increase your dose too quicky.

f) ‘Can everyone take it, even young kids and the elderly?’ So it seems but those with kidney complaints or taking blood thinning medication need to check with their doctors first - anyone else who is uncertain must do the same. However, MSM can in some instances (e.g. those on blood pressure lowering treatment) actually replace their medication and do an even better job, so...no more chemical drugs! Always do web research on your personal medical situation and type in MSM along with the name of eg: your ailment, in your search engine - you may find out that others are benefitting from supplementing with MSM as it is. For example: some who already are benefitting from MSM have blood pressure problems, epilepsy, acne, rosacea, diabetes etc.

g) ‘Does it smell/taste awful?’ No, PURE brands are odourless and the powder/crystals have a slightly bitter taste when dissolved in water which wanes over time to the point that you will hardly taste it any more. This shows that you have adjusted to it. If disliked, flavour your drinks with cordial/juice.

h) ‘Is it better to take powder/crystals or tablets/capsules?’ Personally, I think powder/crystals (UNLESS you are taking/want to try MSM Max - an excellent freeze-dried (not encapsulated form) 99.99% pure tablet with NOTHING else added at all which is stronger and I would recommend taking it after having gotten the body adjusted first to the ordinary strength powder unless you are the brave sort or don’t have any adverse side effects with MSM at all) as it is more readily available to the body and less likely to contain fillers. You can also add the powder/crystals to a base to make a great topical - see below for details. Add the powder/crystals to or take the tablets/capsules with a tall glass of water and take at the same time as a meal/food (dose guidelines below). You can also take Vitamin C (Ester-C is the best form) at the same time if you wish to.

i) ‘Is it having a bleaching effect?’ No, all those that it works for know that it is clearing the melasma permanently, and more importantly, safely.

j) How long will it take? It will take a while so have patience! Some see changes in a day, others in a few weeks - but the higher the dose, apparently the better/quicker. Take only your own optimal dose, generally speaking we, on average, have taken between 8-15,000mg/day each during this experiment. Mine is 70% gone and I have been taking MSM for 5 months now. (dose guidelines below)

k) ‘How come it works?’ Lots of possibilities - it is a hormone balancer; a tyrosinase inhibitor; it seems to prevent secondary browning reactions; it elevates cortisol levels; it balances the body ph taking it from a too acidic to a healthier alkaline ph; it removes toxic waste/metals/chemicals from the blood and organs thereby cleansing the body and restoring good health and boosting the immune system etc etc.

l) ‘Will it affect/lighten my overall skin tone as well as the dark patches?’ No, and the newly returned normal skin pigment will not tan abnormally anymore either; it will just tan normally and fade normally like the unaffected surrounding areas of skin, but still use sunscreen of course in order to tan safely. The remaining abnormal brown pigment, that still has to respond, will still darken in the sun with or without sun protection but not as dark as before taking MSM so many of us found - so that was good news.

m) ‘What are the side effects that I should be aware of?’ These symptoms could simply be a detox reaction or just a phase attributed to the body adjusting to MSM: possible water retention/puffiness and bloatedness, sleep pattern disturbances, dry mouth/increased thirst, a transient headache from release of toxins, constipation or loose stools, mild but temporary nausea, wind/gas and a temporary recurrence/flare up of yeast infections if they are dormant (thrush, itchiness etc). N.B.! These symptoms are not experienced by all supplement takers, just a few, and even then it doesn’t last more than a few days or could be experienced for a few hours on the days you increase your dose. Whatever you are ‘going through’ in the first few days is a ‘good’ sign that the MSM is targeting your problem areas ok? The body adjusts quickly and settles down, just drink PLENTY of water!!! Very important! If any of the above reactions are severe, cut the dose back a bit and increase at a steadier and more spaced out rate (dose guidelines below).

n) ‘Is there anything else I should know?’ Well, your hair and nails will grow fast and your skin will become super smooth and clearer; you may notice a reduction in fine lines, mood swings will level off and your overall spirit will improve, you may taste/smell/see better/with more clarity, be sharper-minded, physically stronger, wounds heal quicker, better assimilation and digestion of food, clearer eyes and whiter teeth etc, etc. Everyone benefits in many and different ways....and they will be individual and unique to you and your current health situation - only then can you truly ascertain what has improved on a personal level.

o) ‘Where can I buy it?’ If you live in the US, you could order MSM Sulphur from:www.msm-msm.com or richdistributing.com, these are good quality and very pure brands of MSM or if you find a brand in a local store which is from an organic source and has the ‘OptiMSM’ or ‘Lignisul MSM’ trademarked logos (proof/guarantee of excellent quality) then try those ones. They should be good if they have these stamps of approval on them.

If you live in the UK go to a GNC health store and buy ‘Supasulf’, made by NutriLabs, it’s a mainly white bottle with the trademark ‘OptiMSM’ stamped on it. Alternatively, you could order it online if you don’t have a GNC store nearby at: http://www.msm-uk.net/to_buy_msm.htm, they also take orders from abroad. If you want to try/switch to the crystals, then go online to http://a1msm.com

To buy Rich’s MSM Max (stronger), go to Google and type in ‘Rich’s MSM Max USA’ and buy online - there are a few choices in the USA. In the UK, go to http://www.health-hippo.co.uk/products/msm/ Excellent stuff! And most definitely recommended because of it’s perfect quality and efficacy and this brand will give you your optimal daily dose of pure MSM.

p) ‘How do I take it then?’

All forms of MSM can be taken with or mixed into any flavoured beverage or plain water. The powder, if pure, should dissolve instantly. The crystals tend to dissolve better in just higher-than-room temperatures and take a tad longer than the powder. MSM should be taken with a meal or food. The smallest dose that gives you the most benefit is optimal. More isn’t better, just more. It is best to find, and you will know when you have found it, the dose that works for you as an individual. The body will use only enough MSM to meet it?s full requirements and any excess will be excreted and wasted, so there is no danger of overdosing, just the danger of spending more money than necessary to keep your supplies up. Because the body excretes excess MSM after a 12 hour period, it is best to split the full daily dose throughout your day in order to keep levels up for as long as possible during this treatment.

The dose recommendations given below are a guide only, because we all have different body sizes, weights, health factors and needs. 2000 mg (2 g) tends to work for general maintenance and health. However, more will be required for treating this condition and any other health problems present in order to make sure that not just the overall general requirements of the body are met first and foremost. However, too much too soon can lead to some minor side effects. The more your body needs, the more you will be able to tolerate. An increased dosage may be needed during times of extra stress or illness or when results ‘plateau’, or slow down dramatically because the body has adjusted. This may be the right time to boost your dose a little (eg: by 1g) or introduce your body to MSM Max and get that melasma shifting!!!

1. 1 X 1000 mg capsule/tablet or 1/4 level teaspoon powder/crystals for 2 days with breakfast
2. 2 X 1000 mg capsule/tablet or 1/2 level teaspoon powder/crystals for 2 days with breakfast
3. 3 X 1000 mg capsule/tablet or 1 level teaspoon powder/crystals for 2 days with breakfast
4. 4 X 1000 mg capsule/tablet or 1 slightly raised teaspoon powder/crystals for 2 days with breakfast
5. 5 X 1000 mg capsule/tablet or 1 heaped teaspoon powder/crystals for 2 days with breakfast

On reaching 5000 mg or 1 level teaspoon a day, to supplement further still if desired, the additional doses were taken with lunch and/or dinner in the same format as points 1-5 above, until an optimal dose was found. This varied with each individual but tended to be on average between 8,000 mg and 15,000 mg/day. This dose was maintained for many weeks. Occasionally, circumstances dictated that a lower dose had to be taken for a while, eg: during sickness or travel, but this did not hinder progress in any way.

Some girls found that they were more comfortable increasing their dose at a much more steady rate than that outlined above and they may have taken a few months to reach their optimal dose. It is wise to not rush in order to allow the body to adjust properly.

Rich’s MSM Max is easier to work out your individual requirements with - they recommend you take 1xtablet twice a day per 70 pounds of body weight, so this will help enormously to get the right individual dose as we are all different body sizes and weights. No matter what you decide, always remember, because we have a disease, and something is wrong internally, our needs are greater than the normal healthy individuals who take MSM, so a higher dose than ‘normal’ (one that you feel comfortable with/can tolerate) is necessary during this therapy, afterwards, we can all relax and take a small dose daily if we prefer (eg: 2g a day - can’t wait!)

q) ‘what should I expect to see happening?’

Your melasma patches or macules could start to get tiny fragments, cracks and dots etc appearing in them, that will gradually combine to form larger patches revealing normal-coloured skin. Fading occurs either at the same time or at a later stage. Some women observed the cracks and dots phenomenon, some observed just overall lightening, and others experienced both. Changes will be sporadic, and superficial lighter macules could change before the more stubborn, dermal melasma does or vice versa. All areas responded during the experiment; forehead, cheeks, nose, upper lip, chin and neck.

Progress seems to be rapid initially, and after a few weeks, it plateaus to a more even and steady (sometimes painfully slow) rate. You may experience these occasional ?quiet? days where nothing at all seems to happen for a while; this is normal and does not mean that progress has stopped (time to introduce MSM Max methinks!) It could take many, many months until the macules have disappeared altogether so patience is important. The length of time could depend on your age, overall health, how long you have had melasma and how widespread it is. It will also help if you protect yourself from the sun.

It is advisable to take photos before you start taking MSM, and take them regularly thereafter. This will help you to ascertain whether you are experiencing changes with the MSM or not. A few of us, during ?quiet? moments, had periods of doubt about what we were observing, but the photos proved otherwise, especially when compared with those taken a few months later.

r) ‘How do I make the topical solution?’

MSM creams are readily available in health stores. But to guarantee the highest percentage of MSM available, purity and quality, make your own topical by using your MSM powder or crystals and blending them into a base of your choice. This could be your regular moisturizer, but pure non-sticky aloe vera gel is best, which in itself provides therapeutic benefits for all types of skin conditions.

Add 1 level teaspoon of MSM powder/crystals to every single fluid ounce of base. This will give you a 17% strength topical (the highest possible percentage that is available without the mix turning gritty) to use on the patches daily after washing both morning and night. Stir it well until fully dissolved, this may take a few hours and shake well before each use. It is better absorbed if applied to a non-towel dried (damp) face. Not everybody used a topical solution during the experiment which proved that oral supplementation of MSM provided the most benefit. Whether it was used or not, all remarked on how amazingly soft the skin on the whole became and how other skin problems subsided through it?s regular use.

s) Despite knowing that it caused my melasma, I have to keep taking the pill/prescription drug, will MSM not work for me then?
During the experiment, 4 months in, two girls had to keep taking the birth control pill, and one, a thyroid drug. All observed changes to varying degrees. Some girls realized that the drugs they had to stay on were hampering their progress. Everybody has different results. Regardless of whether you are taking drugs or not, it helps to remember that MSM doesn?t, unfortunately, work for absolutely everyone. However, 5 months in on the experiment, 45 women were having results which is pretty good!

t) Why is it not working for me? There seems to be different ?types? of melasma or hyperpigmentation medically diagnosed as such (colour, pattern, site) coupled with different causative factors. It is unclear exactly how and why, until further extensive clinical studies are undertaken, MSM actually works on a scientific level for some sufferers, and why it doesn?t work for everyone is even more puzzling. Underlying, but more serious health problems could be hindering results and these would need to be tackled first, because getting to the core of any other problem, especially if it precipitated the onset of melasma, could be the key to your recovery. It may be worth trying the following:

A. Improve your diet
B. Increase your water intake
C. Make sure you are taking the optimal dose for your body size, weight and individual health requirements
D. Stop taking, where possible, any prescription drugs that could be responsible for hormone irregularities inducing photosensitivity.
E. Reduce your possible exposure to chemicals both environmental eg: pollution and topical eg: topical creams, sunscreens, makeup etc that may be also be inducing photosensitivity.
F. Getting your hormone levels checked out by an endocrinologist
G. See your GP about whether an underlying disorder eg: Addison?s Disease is present that will require specialist treatment.

My book is going to cover many more questions that I have observed arising out of this experiment and they are written up a damn sight better than this, I promise, as this was a quick ‘knock-up’ for you all. Apologies all round, but I have covered the most important issues regardless, I think. Please post your experiences and share all your exciting news with us all! If you prefer to, you can contact me privately on my e-mail nesswild@yahoo.co.uk many do already so I’m fine about that.

Many thanks and I wish you all the very best of luck!

Ness
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:39 am      Reply with quote
no I don't think the weight will return if you continue MSM.

But it is unlikely you will continue to loose ,more weight after a few pounds, useing MSM only.

I like this for weight loss, helped me loss 30 lbs. Still working on a bit more. Smile

This is a Hoodia and fiber suppliment WITHOUT metabolisum boosters, which I stronghly oppose.

http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Hoodia-Glucomannan-Complex

60 pills are realistically only two weeks worth for most people.

This helps lessen craving between meals, to help you better regulate your diet. helps you learn to manage your diet health for life, so weight does not return.

Different people need different doses - two a day is not enough. Smile I take 4 to 6 a day. Two in the AM two in the PM. Sometimes 2 mid afternoon. Usually 4 is fine. But when I first started I needed 5 to 6 a day.

Most people will not notice a benifit for at least two weeks, at which point you will find it is easier to say no to extras, and between meal snacks.

However if you over eat, even when you are not hungry, or eat very poorly, this may not help. It helps curb cravings safely, especialy for sweets. But you still need to push yourself away from the table, and make wise food choices.

You need to tailor dose time and amounts based on when you have issues. If late night munchys are a problem, say after 6 PM. Take a dose around 6 PM with dinner, so effects will benifit you in an hour or two.

Eat good meals, make good choices.
Make sure you have good quality foods available. Don't eat junk all the time.

Have protein with EVERY meal, and snack.

Get rid of the junk foods that are the trouble issue for you.
Though with Hoodia I have bags of candy and chips here for my family, and may take one or two small pieces of candy and I am good. Pre Hoodia I had to eat the whole bag! LOL Or I can stop with a handful of Lays chips, not the whole bag.

Eat small meals through the day rather then three hugh ones. 5 small meals (or three meals two snacks) is better then three hugh ones as far as loosing weight for most people.

Substitute Whole grains, pastas etc whenever possible for white grains. More filling, and won't give the suger crash that creates cravings.

Use low fat cheeses and milk.

Drink your water, lots of it daily! Smile

Add in some exercise or walking everyday. 30 to 40 min at least.

Diet 6 days, and have one day or one meal as a free days. This helps you manage cravings if you know you CAN induge in a few days.

Useing the above, I can loss weight yet not "diet"
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:00 am      Reply with quote
I am not personally familiar with valerian except in a general sense. This info may assist you.

Heres some good general issue about Insomnia issues.
http://kroger.staywellsolutionsonline.com/Library/Encyclopedia/2,47

Heres info on common drugs and herbals to treat sleep issues.
http://kroger.staywellsolutionsonline.com/RelatedItems/RelatedDocuments.pg?TypeId=3&ContentId=84445&Category=Drugs

Valerian Specific Info:
http://www.drugs.com/mtm/valerian.html

There is very little medical data to support valerians claims as a relaxant or sleep aid. So effectiveness may be limited. No long-term safety data available.

Doses:
Valerian is light sensitive, so make sure product is purchased in an opaque container. And store in a dark cupboard. Keep tightly sealed and moisture free.

Infusion: 2-3 grams of valerian per cup, one to several times per day.
Tincture: half to one teaspoon, one to several times per day.
Liquid Extract: 2 to 3 grams, one to several times per day
Externally: 100 grams per full bath
Capsules, pills: per label directions

Side Effects:
Strong smell, with components similar to catnap. Making it attractive to many cats.
Do not use on children, or while pregnant or nursing.
Do not use with other sedatives or alcohol.
Do not use with other medications such as, anti-anxiety drugs, pain medications , anti-seizure meds, antidepressants.
No significant food or drug interactions known.
Do not use multiple herb drug forms together at the same time(i.e. pills, and tea, and tincture.) Which increases overdose risks.

Side effects seen occasionally are:
• headache,
• excitability,
• restlessness or uneasiness,
• sleeplessness,
• dilated pupils, or
• irregular heartbeats or other heart problems
• Possible allergic reactions
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
Kathy - you are have a reaction to toxin release in your system, this is the Detox issue I mentioned earlier. You started with to high a dose, to fast.

You should start with closer to 500 mg once a day at first, and drink lots of water through the day to flush your system, then after a week or so SLOWLY go up, maybe up another 500 mg.

On my container 1/4 tsp is 1000 mg. You should only sytart with 1/8 to 1/4 tespoon at first. No more. If your scoop WAS 500 mg, then start with a lower dose - maybe 250 mg. And again drink LOTS of water.

I posted this link earlier in this thread, please read it . It discusses the Detox issues.

http://www.msm-msm.com/faq.html
pcnetwrx
5% products discount

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:37 am      Reply with quote
Being at least somewhat of an expert on MSM, I thought I might chime in here to try to answer some issues that have come up over the past several days.

Regarding detox, the worst detox experiences are generally felt by those that eat poorly, those that take in a lot of caffiene or other stimulants like nicotine or any other drugs that the body would regard as "toxic", and those that are just generally in poorer health. On the plus side, those that seem to experience the worst detox episodes are the ones that tend to see the most improvement if they stick with it and get past the detox stage.

The reason for the detox is that something in the MSM seems to be required for the body's waste management system. Once the body gets this nutrient, it immediately is able to release the built-up toxins in the tissues that it was not able to get rid of before. These toxins flood into the blood stream and the liver and kidneys have to work to clean them out of the blood and finally eliminate them from the body. If too much MSM is taken at one time, this toxin load can be too much for the liver and kidneys to handle thus causing problems for the rest of the body, usually experienced as some kind of pain, but can also be experienced as the effects from the toxin (i.e. caffiene can cause your heart to race). Drinking more water during this detox period will aid your body in eliminating these toxins faster. But the main point is not to take too much MSM too fast--start small and work up slowly.

Regarding gas issues, one of the things that MSM does is to help rid the body of parasites, both macro-parasites and micro-parasites (like candida yeast). Very often times gas or a bloated feeling indicates the beginning of die-off of these parasites in the gut so again, this can be a positive indication that the MSM is doing its job and things are happening that you really want despite the unpleasantness at the time.

Regarding weight loss, we have not really seen any correlation between MSM use and weight loss (or gain). However, that being said, if MSM makes you feel better then you may be more active and therefore burning more calories. But we have also seen it go the other way for those that were experiencing stomach or gut issues. When they felt better, they felt like eating more than they were so they ended up gaining some weight.

I hope this information is helpful and answers some of the questions that some of you might have.
pcnetwrx
5% products discount

Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:43 pm      Reply with quote
bkkgirl wrote:
I was just wondering if the powder form is stronger than capsules.

I don't know that powder is stronger than capsules (although I do know people that would argue that it is), but MOST capsules do have other ingredients even if they are not listed. The real test is to open a capsule and dump it into a small glass of water. The MSM should go to the bottom of the glass right away and should eventually all dissolve. If it all floats on the surface, there are definitely excipients or other additives in it that prevent full absorption. It will usually never dissolve even if left for over a day. I even tried it in vinegar to simulate some stomach acid and it wouldn't dissolve.
pcnetwrx
5% products discount

Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
skincarefreak wrote:
I'm taking Life Time Lignisul MSM. I thought was a good brand. It says on the bottle that is 100% Pure MSM.

I replied privately to you on one of the questions, but I wanted to clarify something about brand names.

Lignisul MSM and OptiMSM are the two major US brands of MSM from the manufacturer. There are many bottlers, packagers, etc. like Life Time. If they use Lignisul MSM or OptiMSM, they are allowed to have that on the lable, but it does not mean that they didn't also add something else during their packaging process, but that really is supposed to also be listed, usually as "other inert ingredients". So all of that to say that just because Life Time apparently adds something, that does not mean that all Lignisul MSM is "suspect"--it will depend on the individual packager.
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:24 am      Reply with quote
you can simply buy the loose powder, thus no need for an elderly women to try and mess with slippery capsules. Smile

I take the loose powder.
pcnetwrx
5% products discount

Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
bkkgirl wrote:
They mentioned something about a HPLC analysis. Do you know what that is?

HPLC analysis is high performance liquid chromatography, which breaks down what something is made of. I did see their response and thought it was a rather lame. There have to be other ingredients if the MSM won't sink or dissolve readily. It is possible that their encapsulator added the excipients without their knowledge. Excipients (like silicon dioxide or vegetable magnesium stearate) are used mainly to help the encapsulating machines run better, but it kind of defeats the purpose if the stuff that you're encapsulating doesn't dissolve because of them.
jakee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:33 pm      Reply with quote
Also, heres's an artilce re: risks/benefits. Can't speak to the veracity of the source, but food for thought, at least. Presents positive and negative.
I started taking it, too, but am always cautious/concerned about adding a new supplement in large amounts.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Methylsulfonylmethane-(MSM)-andHealth&id=448386
"Methylsulfonylmethane is not yet approved by the Food and Drug Administration; you might, therefore, be taking a risk if you choose to use this supplement. That being said, MSM is believed to work well by enhancing the effectiveness of pain medications allowing, as a result, their dosages to be reduced. MSM is compatible with most pain medications.

MSM is a sulfur based supplement; and sulfur is necessary for producing collagen, the primary component of cartilage, skin, and connective tissues.

You should be aware, before using MSM, whether or not you have an allergy to sulfa based medication and supplements.

How Methylsulfonylmethane Can Improve Health

Methylsulfonylmethane, reported to be effective as a pain reliever, also promotes wellness, and supplies the body with sulfur. It helps to relieve heartburn and acid stomach, allergies, and arthritis, and may prevent breast cancer.

MSM: Things to Watch Out For

MSM, like all medications, produces side effect; and, as with all medications, some of its side effects will go away over time. Other, more serious side effects could eventually be life-threatening. You should know the risks before taking any vitamin, supplement, or prescription medications.

MSM’s basic side effects are headaches and diarrhea; the more serious allergic reactions it can cause include rash, itching, swelling, dizziness, and breathing problems.

A doctor should be consulted immediately if these effects occur or are prolonged.

If you have any sulfa related allergies, are pregnant, or are breast feeding, it’s imperative that you consulting your doctor before using MSM If you are breast feeding, your child can ingest MSM from your breast milk..

Because a negative interaction between medicines can cause very serious problems, ask you doctor if taking Methylsulfonylmethane will interfere with your other medications. Also let the doctor know of any allergies you might have.

Once again, you must be aware that MSM is not approved by the Food and Drug Administration and if you choose to use it, you do so at your own risk.

You should, to prevent a negative inter-reaction, alert your doctor to all medical conditions and allergies you have, and medications you are taking. You should also, in the interests of your own safety, protection, and well-being, consult with your doctor before using this product or making any changes in your medications, diet, or vitamin regimen. The same recommendation holds for Total Balance, discussed on many pages of our website as our supplement of choice, Our How To Maximize Methylsulfonylmethane benefits

Because nutritional supplement production, both in the U.S. and other countries is largely unregulated, both governmental and private studies have shown that consumers of nutritional supplements have only a 1 in 5 chance of purchasing a supplement contain the amount of ingredients stated on the product label, or worse yet, a supplement that is not contaminated with health-impairing toxins.

We therefore advise consumers to buy health supplements from pharmaceutical GMP compliant facilities, which adhere to the world’s most exacting manufacturing standards. Doing as we suggest will ensure you of getting contaminant-free Methylsulfonylmethane, in the full amount for which you have paid."

AND THIS:
http://health.yahoo.com/topic/arthritis/treatment/qanda/mayoclinic/C2BFC2FA-4AF6-426F-AD78C67CF11D02D6

"Last Updated: 06/06/2005
Q:
Are there any negative long-term effects from taking MSM for arthritis pain?
A:
Very few studies have examined long-term effects of the dietary supplement called methylsulfonylmethane (MSM). One study suggested that it's safe to take MSM for up to 30 days. But further research is needed to assess its safety for long-term use.

MSM occurs naturally in some fruits, vegetables and grains. But it's also sold as a dietary supplement. Manufacturers of these supplements have touted MSM as a treatment for a variety of conditions, including chronic pain, arthritis, headaches, asthma, sinusitis, constipation and Alzheimer's disease.

However, only a few clinical trials have looked at the possible effectiveness of MSM in treating these conditions in humans. One small study suggested that MSM may relieve pain due to osteoarthritis. A couple of other studies suggested it may reduce symptoms of hay fever (allergic rhinitis).

Although there is great interest in using MSM to treat a variety of conditions, little evidence supports either its benefits or safety. Potential side effects of taking MSM include stomach upset, diarrhea and headache.

As with most dietary supplements, research trials involving MSM have generally been small in size and of relatively short duration. Keep this in mind as you make decisions regarding the use of dietary supplements.

© 1998-2006 Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research (MFMER). All rights reserved. A single copy of these materials may be reprinted for noncommercial personal use only. "Mayo," "Mayo Clinic," "MayoClinic.com," "Mayo Clinic Health Information," "Reliable information for a healthier life" and the triple-shield Mayo logo are trademarks of Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research."
havana8

Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:14 pm      Reply with quote
With all the talk about purity with respect to MSM, I tried to find additional information on the web and ran across this information....

This is an excerpt from http://www.purehealthsystems.com/msmqua.html :

"Here is how you can tell if your product is truly pure MSM.

Pour about 4 ounces of pure water into a clear glass.
Add approximately 1,000 milligrams of MSM to the water.
If you have capsules, open the capsule(s) and pour the contents into the water.
If you have tablets, break a tablet in two and place it in the water.
Let the water and MSM sit for 5 to 10 minutes. Tablets take longer to dissolve in water so you might need to give them up to 1/2 hour to completely dissolve. A pure MSM tablet will dissolve in about 3 to 5 minutes in a person's stomach.

* If it is pure MSM, the water will be clear with no powder or residue in it. It will also be slightly bitter to the taste.
* If the water has a powder floating on the surface or a residue on the bottom of the glass which will not easily dissolve when you spin the glass, it is not pure MSM.
* If the water is cloudy or feels a little gritty or chalky when you take a sip, it is not pure MSM.
* If the water tastes sweet or salty, again it is not pure MSM.

The following three paragraphs are taken from a recent communiqué with one of our customers: We have recently become aware of an exception to the above test. Since proposing the test, three of our customers have called us complaining that our own MSM did not completely dissolve in water. This, of course was quite upsetting to me and we took back two of the batches of MSM and have contacted the third person. When I received the MSM back, I tried the test here in Oregon and both batches quickly and completely dissolved leaving the water clear.

Two out of these three people live in Florida. This got me to thinking. I presume that quite a few people have tried this test. Three people, that I know of, have tried it and our own MSM did not completely dissolve. Two of them live in Florida. Hmm.

Much of the water table in Florida contains significant amounts of limestone. Enough calcium and magnesium carbonate, along with other minerals, have probably dissolved in their water so that it is close to the saturation point and cannot absorb much of the MSM.

If you live in an area with hard water and the MSM does not completely dissolve, you might want to obtain a bottle of steam distilled water and try it again before coming to any conclusions. Keep in mind that the presence of other substances does not necessarily mean that the product is of lower quality. A person needs to use common sense in ascertaining the approximate ratio of MSM to other substances..."

----
And then this excerpt from http://www.oralchelation.com/faq/answers62.htm
is a long page discussing the validity of the "purity test" which includes a section entitled "The Claim That Pure MSM Will Sink Is False!" and the following excerpted paragraph:

"....if you put different sizes of particles of MSM into water, some particle sizes will float, while others will sink. Also MSM will dissolve, or not dissolve, depending on the temperature of the water. It does NOT dissolve well in cold water, but any MSM (small or large crystal) will dissolve in hot water. This amount of heating will not harm the MSM."
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:28 am      Reply with quote
starter2expert wrote:
May I know is this MSM the same thing to help you conjunctions?

Hi starter2expert! I think you are asking if this is the same MSM that is used to help joints and if so, then yes you are correct. If not, please explain what a conjunction is as I am unsure. Thanks!
pcnetwrx
5% products discount

Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:14 am      Reply with quote
Wild Cat wrote:
Hello pcnetwrx,
Sorry for sounding like an idiot, what excipients I should be looking out for? The MSM I am taking now states its in a gelatin capsule (gelatin, purified water) and vegetable grade magnesium stearate (lubricant).
Thanks first,
Wild Cat

The vegetable grade magnesium stearate that you listed is an excipient as is also silicon dioxide. There may be others.

An excipient is defined as an inert substance used as a diluent or vehicle for a drug. They are supposedly used to stabilize drugs or to bulk up a product for "more accurate dosing". But the main reason that capsule makers use them is to make the substances that they are encapsulating more free-flowing so that they are easier to handle. Note that their concern is to make things easier for themselves--not what is best for the consumer.

It is possible to make MSM capsules without excipients at all, and some brands are available like that, but they are few and far between. My guess is that the brands without excipients would comprise less than 10% of the brands out there, but that is just a guess.
havana8

Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:47 pm      Reply with quote
I think I may try this....

ConsumerLab.com "Home Test" for Disintegration:

How can I be sure that my pill will break apart?

We frequently receive questions about how to make sure that a vitamin or other supplement breaks apart properly so that it can be absorbed. Many people write to tell us that their vitamins won't break apart in tests that they do at home.

The question is a good one. To be useful, most supplements must first disintegrate and dissolve in the gut for their ingredients to be absorbed and enter the bloodstream. Pills that don't disintegrate properly can't dissolve and be absorbed; they will simply pass through the body unused. The standard laboratory test for disintegration (part of the test formally known as the United States Pharmacopeia [USP] "Disintegration and Dissolution of Nutritional Supplements" method) attempts to mimic conditions in the gut. During the test, the product under investigation is continuously agitated in an acidic solution for up to 45 minutes. In that time, the pill should fall apart.

This disintegration test is one of the battery of tests to which ConsumerLab.com subjects all tablet and caplet products in its Product Reviews. If a product fails this test, it can not be listed as "Approved" by ConsumerLab.com. Some manufacturers claim their products meet the USP specification, although the claim shouldn't be taken as certainty.

Where this is most common?

Poor disintegration is most common with vitamin and mineral supplements. However, other products, including herbals, sold in tightly packed or heavily coated tablets or caplets, may also have poor disintegration, remaining intact after the 45-minute acid test. Most capsules, by contrast, fall apart easily, and most chewable products (as long as they're chewed) disintegrate. Poor disintegration can result from poor manufacturing practices and quality control.

The CL Home Test:

To determine for yourself your supplement's ability to disintegrate, try the following test (it isn't foolproof, but it does yield helpful information):

* Heat 1/2-cup of vinegar in a heat-safe cup on the hot-plate portion of a coffee machine to 98.6º F (body temperature). For a quick check of the temperature, use an instant-read thermometer, and don't allow it to rest on the bottom of the cup where heat is most intense, giving a false reading.
* Place a pill in the cup, then stir continuously for 30 to 45 minutes, without hitting the pill and keeping the temperature near 98.6º F. If necessary, move the cup on and off the heat to maintain a constant temperature.
* Uncoated or thinly coated products should disintegrate in about 30 minutes; gelatin-coated and hard-coated products may require the full time.
* Note: This test may not work with "time-release" or "sustained-release" products. And be aware that "chewable" products are meant to be broken down by chewing and "enteric-coated" products should not fully break apart in this test since they are supposed to release their ingredients farther down the gut in the intestines.

Remember, this test isn't as rigorous as a laboratory test, but it is more accurate than simply dropping the supplement into cold vinegar.

http://www.consumerlab.com/results/hometest.asp
sueqlew
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:38 am      Reply with quote
Manon,MSM made a huge difference in my brown patches on my face and hands,too.It took a while (maybe 6 months) before I realized that they had diminished considerably because I didn't know that this was something to expect.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:06 pm      Reply with quote
I buy Source Naturals powdered form MSM - use a teaspoon daily - plus glutamine powder and jarrow biosil - these all get mixed together with V-8 low sodium (about 1 cup). I have been doing this for 6 months and definitely notice a difference - skin, hair, nails and weight maintenance. Body tone is really awesome and I'm doing the same stuff I always have. Plus I had a terrible break to my right wrist and pain for two years and finally it is gone.
catballou
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:51 am      Reply with quote
Fox, I'm always suspect of people or institutions whose aim is to be negative about anything that's not prescription. My experience is that I've done myself far more good with "health food" supplements than doctors ever did. Not everything that I try works for me or is even good for me, but I value the right to make my own choices.

Fox wrote:
What do you guys make of this article on Quack Watch about MSM? http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/DSH/msm.html
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:41 am      Reply with quote
Fox wrote:
What do you guys make of this article on Quack Watch about MSM? http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics
/DSH/msm.html

There seems to be a lack of science backing the health effects of MSM. I don't take MSM. I prefer to take supplements that are extensively researched for their effectiveness (and hopefully safety), like resveratrol, blueberry extract, green foods, omega 3 etc. Also, I don't want to take high doses of a supplement for the sole reason of improving my skin or hair. I need to know that the supplements I am taking are beneficial for my body in general.

5% products discount

Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:51 pm      Reply with quote
Yes! The water retention is noticeable the first few weeks and every time I increase my dosage.

The only way I combat the water retention is by consciously lowering my sodium intake (which is not easy but possible) and by chugging as much water as I can to flush out my system. It makes it hard at work when I'm constantly at the water fountain and then to the bathroom, but it lets the detoxification effect of the MSM do it's job and it has really hydrated my skin as well.

Just hang in there with the funky MSM side effects because they go away and the benefits are worth the small amount of discomfort in the beginning.
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:52 am      Reply with quote
m1rox wrote:
micka686 wrote:
My mom has slight to medium knee pain. She swims and uses treadmill to reduce the pain. She also tries to lose weight. NOW, this is my question: is MSM effective in reducing her knee pain? BTW, she is 65.

Depends on how advanced is the condition causing her knee pain. There's no harm trying the MSM and see if it works (you won't know until you try). But if she has osteoarthritis (the most common condition causing knee pain) and it is quite advanced, then MSM is unlikely to help. Reducing weight will definitely help (to reduce strain on the knee). I am not sure if vigorous use of the treadmill is good or not for her though. If she runs a lot, it would increase the strain on her knees. Brisk walking would be better than running. And consider other exercises to strengthen the knee (quadriceps exercises - check with the gym trainers or look online for how to do these).

I do think it will help her knees, along with glucosamine/chondroitin. My knees were worn out from running and I had to hang up my running shoes about 20 years ago. Amazingly, I am still an avid hiker, and work out regularly without any knee pain and MSM has been part of my vitamin regimen for years.

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:04 pm      Reply with quote
MSM is not a panacea for knee or hip or other joint ailments. It is designated to be part of a complete protocal in a situation which calls for many minerals, vitamins or delivery systems.

For skin this may include Vitamin C, copper peptides, hyaluronic acid tablets...MSM is a vital component of the tissue building program.

For the body it may require other synergistic meds. Such as chondrointen. I have great results with MSM and Biosil drops.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:44 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |