Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
MSM - I lost body fat & tighter skin - anyone else too?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:42 am      Reply with quote
Just want to report back that I think MSM is responsible for me not gaining any weight despite me eating a bit (ahem) more than usual. I have not been doing too much exercise lately either, but I've been religious about taking 4 g of MSM per day.
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:04 pm      Reply with quote
I've been taking it almost a month. My skin looks firmer and my hair looks fuller. Very Happy
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
Rosyface I have never heard of that, but I suggest you goto the messageboard atwww.msm-msm.com and ask over there. They may know the answer.
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:10 pm      Reply with quote
I take MSM daily in powder form, mixed with my liquid glucosamine and liquid calcuim. Not only have I NOT lost any weight, but I've actually gained several lbs and am at my all time high (121 lbs.) I don't attribute that to the MSM though...Personally, I think there may be some real benefits to taking MSM, but I don't believe skin firming and weight loss is one of them.
Monica34
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
I noticed that after 3 months of taking it I find less hair in my brush - not that I lost too much before, its just less now - and my nails finally stopped peeling. I had tried all kind of nail treatments and nothing had worked. I dont wear any polish/strengthener anymore and my nails are so healthy Smile
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:00 pm      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
I take MSM daily in powder form, mixed with my liquid glucosamine and liquid calcuim. Not only have I NOT lost any weight, but I've actually gained several lbs and am at my all time high (121 lbs.) I don't attribute that to the MSM though...Personally, I think there may be some real benefits to taking MSM, but I don't believe skin firming and weight loss is one of them.

Just wondering, Mtngirl, how many grams of MSM did you take? Did you take it with Vit C? Also did you eat the same as prior to taking MSM? How long have you been taking it again?

For me, I have been taking it for 5 weeks, 4 g a day (2 g morning 2 g evening) each time with 1 g of Vit C. I have been indulging in rich food, which usually would have made me gained 3 lbs instantly but lately I noticed I didn't gain anything. My underarm used to hang a tiny bit but it looks firmer now. I don't know what else to attribute this change to except for the MSM supplement, but I also take CoQ10, ALA, Carnitine, and the list goes on. LOL I read that you'd see MSM benefits if you lack sulfur in your body. Maybe if you were taking a high dosage of MSM and you don't see results, it could mean you have enough sulfur.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:17 pm      Reply with quote
Perhaps someone has already said it, but I can't find it anywhere-- what is a natural source of MSM? I think i've read you can get it from raw vegetables but the only raw veggies I can tolerate are carrots. I like fruit, though-- can we get MSM from fruit?

I'm asking because I tried taking the MSM supplements, but found it did some weird stuff to my body that I don't think it necessarily should do. I'm talking lower digestive stuff here. And I was taking a small dose. I also saw no improvement in my skin, etc. I guess I;d rather know how I could get it nutritionally.
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:17 am      Reply with quote
BKK: I am up to taking about 2500 MG of MSM and have been using it for about 3-4 months consistently. I do take it with 500 gm of Ester C and always in the beginning of a meal. I hate to mention this, but the one negative side effect I seem to get, is gas Rolling Eyes which I know is from the MSM, because of the lovely sulfur scent! I have been thin all my life, but I'm a fatty right now (6 lbs over my perfect weight!) so I know the MSM isn't helping me with weight loss.
tidieu
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:27 am      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
BKK: I hate to mention this, but the one negative side effect I seem to get, is gas Rolling Eyes which I know is from the MSM, because of the lovely sulfur scent!

I could not take MSM regularly because of the same problem. Sad
rosyface
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:04 am      Reply with quote
i've been taking 15 grams per day for only a few days and i've not noticed any side effects at all except for the blackened fingers under my jewellry.

Does that mean it may not be working for me?

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:31 am      Reply with quote
many people never have side effects, even with very high doses levels. that does not mean it is not working for you.
rosyface
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:35 am      Reply with quote
great, i'll keep it up. I'm sleeping so much better for the last few nights and i was attributing it to the MSM. I hope it will do other great things for me that i can list in the days to come.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:06 pm      Reply with quote
rosyface wrote:
great, i'll keep it up. I'm sleeping so much better for the last few nights and i was attributing it to the MSM. I hope it will do other great things for me that i can list in the days to come.

I just wanted to make sure it was not a typo. You really are taking 15 grams of MSM a day? Or was it supposed to be 1.5 grams. If you are taking 15 capsules of 1 g cap per day, did you start out with that high dose right away? How come you have to take so many?
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
BKK: I am up to taking about 2500 MG of MSM and have been using it for about 3-4 months consistently. I do take it with 500 gm of Ester C and always in the beginning of a meal. I hate to mention this, but the one negative side effect I seem to get, is gas Rolling Eyes which I know is from the MSM, because of the lovely sulfur scent! I have been thin all my life, but I'm a fatty right now (6 lbs over my perfect weight!) so I know the MSM isn't helping me with weight loss.

Hmm...I don't know if you have to take at least 4 g of MSM to see the weight loss benefit. I wonder how many grams of MSM Monica34 is taking to see the weight loss benefit? I did not notice the gas side effect, but I don't ever pay attention to that. If I have to pass gas, I just do it without wondering where it comes from. LOL Also I don't know what sulfur smells like.
Monica34
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:29 pm      Reply with quote
bkkgirl wrote:
mountaingirl wrote:

Hmm...I don't know if you have to take at least 4 g of MSM to see the weight loss benefit. I wonder how many grams of MSM Monica34 is taking to see the weight loss benefit? I did not notice the gas side effect, but I don't ever pay attention to that. If I have to pass gas, I just do it without wondering where it comes from. LOL Also I don't know what sulfur smells like.

I take 4g daily.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:16 pm      Reply with quote
Monica34 wrote:
bkkgirl wrote:
mountaingirl wrote:

I take 4g daily.

So maybe that's the key number to keep in mind if you want to weight loss effect. I don't think I have lost weight, but I'm maintaining it well, and I'm very weight sensitive and weigh myself daily. I know if I eat a certain food, and don't get enough exercise, or I splurge in a high-calorie cocktail, I'll gain 3 lbs easily. I have been amazed lately that I've not been doing well in my diet and exercise, BUT I have not gained any weight (ok, except today b/c it's that time of month again). And my tummy is firm looking.
rosyface
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
You really are taking 15 grams of MSM a day?

yep and plan to build up to more. I have some joint problems and hair loss problems and would like to find the optimal dose for myself. I figure i will adjust it upward over the next few months and see where my body goes with it. Very high doses do no harm as far as i can see and because i'm a bigger girl to start with, i probably need more than smaller girls to start with anyway...

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:29 pm      Reply with quote
Ok, I will try gradually upping my dose and see if I get other results. I feel like I need to spread it out during the day though, rather than take that much all at once. That means I will have to deal with the gas during the day, which I don't look forward to.
KathyJ
5% products discount

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:35 pm      Reply with quote
I started taking MSM crystals yesterday at noon. I used one half of the scoop dissolved in a glass of water. Within 2 hours I had a raging headache! Anyone have any wisdom for me...should I stop taking this, or how much should I cut back? How do I increase the dosage? I really want to take this for so many reasons, among them asthma, allergies, arthritis, 51 year old skin, acne...need I go on?! Any and all experienced users jump in please.
KathyJ
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:11 pm      Reply with quote
KathyJ wrote:
I started taking MSM crystals yesterday at noon. I used one half of the scoop dissolved in a glass of water. Within 2 hours I had a raging headache! Anyone have any wisdom for me...should I stop taking this, or how much should I cut back? How do I increase the dosage? I really want to take this for so many reasons, among them asthma, allergies, arthritis, 51 year old skin, acne...need I go on?! Any and all experienced users jump in please.
KathyJ

maybe it wasn't from the MSM..did you take it today???
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:24 pm      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
Ok, I will try gradually upping my dose and see if I get other results. I feel like I need to spread it out during the day though, rather than take that much all at once. That means I will have to deal with the gas during the day, which I don't look forward to.

You are supposed to spread out your dosages. I take 2 g in the morning and 2 g at night. Ideally it's supposed to be 12 hrs apart, but I don't always remember to do exactly that.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:25 pm      Reply with quote
KathyJ wrote:
KathyJ

How many grams is 1/2 a scoop? Also I read that if you have a reaction to it, try to take it with food or cut back a bit. Maybe try 1/4 scoop.
edithsz
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:00 pm      Reply with quote
You guys sold me on this one. I took 1000 mg for the first time yesterday. I want to start it out slow. I am seeing a lot of waste elimination already. I am not doing anything different in my life so I am attributing this to the MSM.

Thanks you guys.
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
Kathy - you are have a reaction to toxin release in your system, this is the Detox issue I mentioned earlier. You started with to high a dose, to fast.

You should start with closer to 500 mg once a day at first, and drink lots of water through the day to flush your system, then after a week or so SLOWLY go up, maybe up another 500 mg.

On my container 1/4 tsp is 1000 mg. You should only sytart with 1/8 to 1/4 tespoon at first. No more. If your scoop WAS 500 mg, then start with a lower dose - maybe 250 mg. And again drink LOTS of water.

I posted this link earlier in this thread, please read it . It discusses the Detox issues.

http://www.msm-msm.com/faq.html
Jeannine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:12 pm      Reply with quote
Tangal, this is so funny. I've always pronounced your name in my head as 'Tangle' and I thought it was your last name. I've been reading your posts for such a long time, I felt like I knew you (BTW, thanks for all of your help on this forum!) Now, I realize that it is Tan Gal...

Tangal wrote:
...I sort of do have my own site - I am the head Mod atwww.sunless.com.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:01 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |