Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

MSM - I lost body fat & tighter skin - anyone else too?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:24 am      Reply with quote
you can simply buy the loose powder, thus no need for an elderly women to try and mess with slippery capsules. Smile

I take the loose powder.
rosyface
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:32 am      Reply with quote
me too, so much better than chasing capsules all over the floor and under furniture when i drop one... Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:43 am      Reply with quote
pcnetwrx wrote:
catski wrote:
I was just wondering what are the benefits of taking MSM at the dosage that you and your wife do?

My wife mainly takes it for the energy level that we, at 50 years old, need to keep up with our 7-year-old daughter. As a side-benefit, it got rid of a melasma patch she had on her upper lip and a nodule in her finger that had surrounded a thorn.

I started taking MSM for stomach problems with higher than normal acidity, urping, and bloating, and for getting rid of a very bad candida yeast systemic infection that nothing else would even touch. It did the trick on both of those. As side-benefits, I lost a patch of eczema/psoriasis (don't know for sure which one it was), my eyes improved a bit (2 levels according to the eye doctor), I no longer have any TMJ pain, and I also see increased energy. I also used to get anxiety attacks (which may have been related to the candida yeast infection) which are completely gone. We have also noticed much less stiffness and soreness after unusual physical activity, especially if the MSM is taken just before the physical activity.

But still, the main reason we continue at this amount is just the energy level and feeling of well-being.

How did you know you had candida? I'm freaking out thinking I have it Crying or Very sad I did the saliva test but it wasn't on an empty stomach. Nevertheless, it was positive. Shock

I've had chronic constipation my entire life. Could it be caused by candida? Can't wait to get the MSM!
pcnetwrx
5% products discount

Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:58 am      Reply with quote
red77 wrote:
How did you know you had candida?

I've had chronic constipation my entire life. Could it be caused by candida? Can't wait to get the MSM!

I initially suspected that I had candida after researching my symptoms on the web. I had found a checklist of symptoms and what made me suspect it the most was that I had just the previous year been on antibiotics for most of the winter without knowing that I should have limited sugars at the same time. Then I saw a photo of the brown skin discoloration of a candida infection and it looked just like what I had, so that confirmed without a doubt that I was dealing with a severe candida infection.

MSM has been known to help people with constipation so there is hope, but I am not sure that it is a symptom of candida. I never had that symptom.
Tangerine
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:26 am      Reply with quote
I will rush to wholefood after work today Rolling Eyes
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:43 am      Reply with quote
RESPONSE FROM VITACOST RE: NSI MSM

Here's my original message to Vitacost:
Quote:
This message is for Dr. Allen Joseph.

I want to tell you I am very disappointed in the NSI brand MSM that I
recently bought.

I bought two of the NSI brand MSM in two separate orders. I even
suggested to many friends and family to buy it because it listed on the
label that it contains only the capsules and the OptiMSM. So it sounded
like there's no filler or binder in it.

However I was talking to someone knowledgeable about pure MSM. He told
me how to test for other ingredients which is to open up the capsule and
dump the content in to a glass of water. If it sinks, it means the MSM
is pure and there's no other filler or binder in it.

When I tested the NSI brand MSM, it did not sink. It stayed afloat and
even when I tried to stir up the content, it would not sink. I could
see some film on top of the water that prevented the powder from
sinking. So if I took the NSI MSM, it means there's an absorbability
issue, I think, if it won't ever dissolve in water. It means I've been
taking something that is ineffective for some time now.

This is so disappointing to me, and even embarrassing since I told so
many friends to buy it, too.

Because of this, I wonder if I can trust the NSI brand to give me good
vitamins.

But before I jump to further conclusions, I thought I should write Dr.
Joseph and get his point of view on this issue.

Thank you.
C

Now their response:
Quote:
Dear C,

I have been told, the only way to test MSM is by using HPLC Analysis. Our product is 100% OptiMSM from Bergstrom Nutrition (FKA Cardinal Nutrition).

Thank you,

KIM
Customer Service Representative
Vitacost
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:56 am      Reply with quote
I think the point that is not being addressed is not that the MSM is not really MSM - it's the solubility of the product that is the problem. If it doesn't dissolve in water, I wouldn't trust it to do the job in my tummy. Just my opinion. Ask for a refund.

I am extremely pleased with the quality of products I've purchased from Bio-Alternatives from Tangal's recommendation. Super cheap and top notch quality. Big thumbs up!
www.bio-alternatives.com

Their MSM is $12 for 1 lb. - ludicrously cheap.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:09 am      Reply with quote
scalawaggirl wrote:
I think the point that is not being addressed is not that the MSM is not really MSM - it's the solubility of the product that is the problem. If it doesn't dissolve in water, I wouldn't trust it to do the job in my tummy. Just my opinion. Ask for a refund.

I am extremely pleased with the quality of products I've purchased from Bio-Alternatives from Tangal's recommendation. Super cheap and top notch quality. Big thumbs up!
www.bio-alternatives.com

Their MSM is $12 for 1 lb. - ludicrously cheap.

YES! I so agree with you. I was ticked off, too, that Dr. Josephs did not deign to respond personally. Grrrr He's probably too busy.

Scally, do you know which MSM does bio sell? OptiMSM or Lignisul?

Another alternative source is msm-msm.com also highly recommended by Tangal. The prices are comparable, and you can actually specify the brand of MSM you want to buy. However if you're already happy with bio, there's probably no need to change. Very Happy
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:13 am      Reply with quote
bkkgirl wrote:

Another alternative source is msm-msm.com also highly recommended by Tangal. The prices are comparable, and you can actually specify the brand of MSM you want to buy. However if you're already happy with bio, there's probably no need to change. Very Happy

It's just listed as MSM powder on the canister at 100%. I'm fine with it but that's a good reminder for anyone else thinking of purchasing. Tangal is the one who recommended both sites and she had good things to say about each being equally good or something along those lines.

5% products discount

Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:58 pm      Reply with quote
bkkgirl wrote:

I would suspect that if they don't list or advertise the brand or manufacturer, then it is probably neither and is most likely Chinese or Indian MSM, the most popular foreign sources of MSM.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:45 pm      Reply with quote
pcnetwrx wrote:
bkkgirl wrote:

I would suspect that if they don't list or advertise the brand or manufacturer, then it is probably neither and is most likely Chinese or Indian MSM, the most popular foreign sources of MSM.

Hi PCNetwrx,

I was wondering if you read Vitacost's response re: their NSI brand MSM being pure, but it didn't pass the sink test. They mentioned something about a HPLC analysis. Do you know what that is?

Thank you.
C
pcnetwrx
5% products discount

Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
bkkgirl wrote:
They mentioned something about a HPLC analysis. Do you know what that is?

HPLC analysis is high performance liquid chromatography, which breaks down what something is made of. I did see their response and thought it was a rather lame. There have to be other ingredients if the MSM won't sink or dissolve readily. It is possible that their encapsulator added the excipients without their knowledge. Excipients (like silicon dioxide or vegetable magnesium stearate) are used mainly to help the encapsulating machines run better, but it kind of defeats the purpose if the stuff that you're encapsulating doesn't dissolve because of them.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
pcnetwrx wrote:
bkkgirl wrote:
They mentioned something about a HPLC analysis. Do you know what that is?

HPLC analysis is high performance liquid chromatography, which breaks down what something is made of. I did see their response and thought it was a rather lame. There have to be other ingredients if the MSM won't sink or dissolve readily. It is possible that their encapsulator added the excipients without their knowledge. Excipients (like silicon dioxide or vegetable magnesium stearate) are used mainly to help the encapsulating machines run better, but it kind of defeats the purpose if the stuff that you're encapsulating doesn't dissolve because of them.

Thank you!
skinlover
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:22 pm      Reply with quote
Wow u gals are so resourceful. i have learned something new today. thanks gals !!!!
gracedhy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
Is MSM definitely safe? I have to bring up this topic again...i am trying to get pregnant meanwhile I really want to lose my tummy fat. If I am certain I am not pregnant can I try MSM? will it harm my chances of getting pregnant?
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:17 pm      Reply with quote
gracedhy wrote:
Is MSM definitely safe? I have to bring up this topic again...i am trying to get pregnant meanwhile I really want to lose my tummy fat. If I am certain I am not pregnant can I try MSM? will it harm my chances of getting pregnant?

I think it is the best for you to consult your doctors about taking supplement at this special time.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:25 pm      Reply with quote
Consulting your doctor is def a great idea, but whenever I asked my doctor about supplements, they looked so clueless. It seems they don't really want you to take anything other than the multivitamin, and Vit C. However, your doctor may be different, so please check with him/her and let us know what s/he says! Very Happy
gracedhy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:25 pm      Reply with quote
Wild Cat wrote:
gracedhy wrote:

I think it is the best for you to consult your doctors about taking supplement at this special time.

I am afraid my family doctor may not know about this stuff Confused
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:30 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I actually got most of my supplement recommendations from my pharmacist. She is very knowledgeable and I have been going to her for the past 14 years.

5% products discount

Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:59 pm      Reply with quote
gracedhy wrote:

MSM is definitely safe. Taking it while pregnant or while trying to get pregnant is not a problem. The only caveat is if you are detoxing while pregnant, that would not be great. So if you can get the detox stage out of the way first, that would be best. If you are already pregnant, I wouldn't recommend starting on MSM because of the possible detox effects. If already taking MSM, to be extra safe, you may want to reduce the amount of MSM you are taking when you discover you are pregnant, but there would be no need to discontinue it altogether. (Standard disclaimers go here--your doctor's opinion may vary).
donnababe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:33 am      Reply with quote
Some doctors know a little about supplements...most don't. It's better to ask your pharmacist they should know if a supplement will interfer with any meds you are taking.
pcnetwrx
5% products discount

Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:46 pm      Reply with quote
bkkgirl wrote:
Scalli, the wild med oregano oil is really spicy and yucky tasting. But it takes only 4 drops under your tongue. Apparently the cervacrol % is key to the effectiveness. At bio-alternatives, they sell one at 85% http://www.bio-alternatives.com/buyoregano.htm as well as 93% http://www.carvacrol-ex.com/

I bought the 85% one but thought maybe I should have bought the 93% one to ensure effectiveness. Also 2 oz a bottle is a lot since you only use 4 drops a day and not every day. (Just the days you want to fight the germs like when you're having a cold or flu.)

I've been doing a little checking and calculating on these oil of oregano claims and have run into some concerns. I tried to contact bio-alternatives, but they would not respond to my concerns leading me to believe I have made some correct assumptions, and that they don't want to admit it.

If you look at their ingredients lists for their different oil of oregano products, you will see that olive oil or grapeseed oil is listed first meaning that is the ingredient that there is the most of (as is the case with almost all commercially sold oregano oil products). If you dig further into their site, you will find this statement:
Quote:
In order to be useful true Oregano Oil must be blended with a carrier oil. BIO-ALTERNATIVES Oil of Oregano products deliver a whopping 84.15 mg Carvacrol per ml!

There are about 30 ml in an ounce so that means that using their figures of roughly 90% concentration of carvacrol for the oregano oil RAW INGREDIENT (not the final product) there is about 2800 mg of oregano oil in the entire ounce. A couple of drops might be in the neighborhood of 20 mg or so. That puts their product right in there with all of the others that they disparage so much, and maybe a little worse. I have seen other products with 45 mg of oregano oil in 2 drops and even if it were only 50% carvacrol, that would still be about the same 20 mg or so of effectiveness.

Now, if you are getting the results that you want by using their product, that's maybe what counts. But I think there is a lot of hype surrounding this product that is misleading quite a few people. That may also be the reason why the one person who tried it and didn't see the same results they were getting with another brand had that experience.
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:46 pm      Reply with quote
So...basically...I can't still trust Vitacost's NSI brand supplements? and Bio-alternatives? Confused

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:16 am      Reply with quote
pcnetwrx wrote:
gracedhy wrote:

MSM is definitely safe. Taking it while pregnant or while trying to get pregnant is not a problem. The only caveat is if you are detoxing while pregnant, that would not be great. So if you can get the detox stage out of the way first, that would be best. If you are already pregnant, I wouldn't recommend starting on MSM because of the possible detox effects. If already taking MSM, to be extra safe, you may want to reduce the amount of MSM you are taking when you discover you are pregnant, but there would be no need to discontinue it altogether. (Standard disclaimers go here--your doctor's opinion may vary).

Can anyone expand on the detox stage?
I don't mean to gross you all out, but I've had diarrhea since starting MSM, which has been over a month now. I started off with the recommended dosage and worked my way up, i'm on about 6g at mo. I have mild Candida, so was wondering if the 'stool problem!' could be down to the MSM detoxing me? I've also just started taking good bacteria type things to try and even things out.
I'm loving the MSM, but want to make sure i'm not doing more harm than good.
Thanks, any advice welcome.
Preenie

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:05 am      Reply with quote
Preenie, it's likely due to continued detox. Sometimes, the recommended dosage is too much for an individual and you have to back off until you can take more. I am taking 8g now and do not have loose stools - they became a bit looser than before when I upped my dosage but nothing like you describe. You might consider lowering your intake to 4g a day and see how that works. Once things are comfortable, then go forward.

pcnetwrx, interesting observation regarding the amount of OoO in that product. I did order it so will update everyone on how well it works. Who is it that you are referencing that said it did not work for them. I only recall Bkkgirl as the other person who's tried the 85% but I might have missed something. My understanding is that the one she bought did work for her so I'm confused.

Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:49 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |