Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

MSM - I lost body fat & tighter skin - anyone else too?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
pcnetwrx
5% products discount

Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:18 am      Reply with quote
preenie wrote:
Can anyone expand on the detox stage?
I don't mean to gross you all out, but I've had diarrhea since starting MSM, which has been over a month now. I started off with the recommended dosage and worked my way up, i'm on about 6g at mo. I have mild Candida, so was wondering if the 'stool problem!' could be down to the MSM detoxing me? I've also just started taking good bacteria type things to try and even things out.
I'm loving the MSM, but want to make sure i'm not doing more harm than good.
Thanks, any advice welcome.
Preenie

A month seems like a long time to be dealing with detox. On the other hand, if it is a candida infection, that can take months to eliminate. But I had a severe candida infection and did not go through what you are. Have you tried the standard things to bring it under control, like ripe bananas, mashed potatoes, etc.?

At this point, I would probably suggest discontinuing the MSM until you have it under control, and keep using the probiotics. Once it is totally under control, then maybe start again at 1 gram a day. BTW, we are talking about pure MSM with no other ingredients, correct? I would even eliminate the capsule material if you are taking capsules, and just dump it in water or juice to make sure you aren't reacting to something other than the MSM.
preenie
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:23 am      Reply with quote
yeah i'm taking pure msm. I think I will cut it out for a while, as you mentioned. Really gutted!! I started a lot of supplements at the same time, so maybe it's all too much. I might stop them all until things return to normal, then introduce one back in at a time, that way hopefully i'll find the culprit.

Thanks for your advice.
P

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:02 am      Reply with quote
I'm trying to up my intake, but when I do, I cant sleep. I'm buzzing.

Does anyone know how long that goes on for? I tend to give up and go back down again after one or two nights of insomnia.
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:37 am      Reply with quote
I commented earlier on this thread that it did not work for my Mom, compared to another brand she uses. Page 9
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:25 am      Reply with quote
catski wrote:

Does anyone know how long that goes on for? I tend to give up and go back down again after one or two nights of insomnia.

Catski, I've experienced this and it seems about a few days for me but I'm taking other detox things, as well, so perhaps it isn't as long for me. I'd think you could either push through or back off and up your dosage very slowly.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:30 am      Reply with quote
preenie wrote:
I don't mean to gross you all out, but I've had diarrhea since starting MSM, which has been over a month now. I started off with the recommended dosage and worked my way up, i'm on about 6g at mo. I have mild Candida, so was wondering if the 'stool problem!' could be down to the MSM detoxing me? I've also just started taking good bacteria type things to try and even things out.
Preenie

If a supplement did that to me, I'd stop. You're probly dehydrated by now.
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:32 am      Reply with quote
jakee wrote:
preenie wrote:
Preenie

Umm, that's actually going to depend on what her water intake is like.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:57 am      Reply with quote
scalawaggirl wrote:
jakee wrote:
preenie wrote:
Preenie

Ok, thanks, I'll reword.
If a supplement did that to me, I'd stop. And I'd be concerned about getting dehydrated.
pcnetwrx
5% products discount

Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:53 am      Reply with quote
catski wrote:

Try taking all of your MSM first thing in the morning.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:20 am      Reply with quote
pcnetwrx wrote:
catski wrote:

Really?

hmm. I can take SOME at night, just not more than 1000mg. ( I have it in capsule form at the moment so I cant up my intake in small amounts.)

I'll up my morning intake, thanks for that suggestion.

Is the insomnic reaction a sign of one's toxicity level ? Sad

oh gosh. Lying awake at night with regular gas. Not the most glamorous thing.

Speak to the hand Embarassed
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:29 am      Reply with quote
catski wrote:
pcnetwrx wrote:
catski wrote:

Really?

hmm. I can take SOME at night, just not more than 1000mg. ( I have it in capsule form at the moment so I cant up my intake in small amounts.)

Laughing Laughing Laughing Sorry I don't mean to laugh and your pain, but that last line was hilarious.
preenie
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:57 am      Reply with quote
jakee wrote:
scalawaggirl wrote:
jakee wrote:
preenie wrote:
Preenie

Ok, thanks, I'll reword.
If a supplement did that to me, I'd stop. And I'd be concerned about getting dehydrated.

I have actually just noticed today that my skin is looking VERY dehydrated.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:07 am      Reply with quote
Preenie, please share what your water intake is like. Anything that you use that has a detoxification effect, like MSM, should be taken and used with a substantial water intake. As I said before, you should back off the dosage until it stabilizes, then increase slowly.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:16 am      Reply with quote
skincarefreak wrote:
catski wrote:
pcnetwrx wrote:
catski wrote:

Really?

Laughing Laughing Laughing Sorry I don't mean to laugh and your pain, but that last line was hilarious.

Bad Grin Bad Grin Bad Grin
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:25 am      Reply with quote
catski wrote:

i'm having the same exact problem as you. it was recommended that i take my first dosage as early as possible and the second one no later than 6:00 p.m. because i hve capsules too, i'm going to try 1000mg in the morning and 500mg at night tomorrow (i know i'm far behind everybody, but i'm really taking it nice and slow because of the drugs i *have* to take). if this doesn't work, i will take all of it in the morning just to get my body used to it. once it does, insomnia is not a problem (though it's probably not a bad idea to stick to the before 6:00 rule.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:26 am      Reply with quote
I was wondering for those who bought the powder form of MSM, do you find a few clumps in the jar? Do you try to break them first before measuring it? I do find some clumps big and small. I don't break them. I just guestimate and pick the big one that looks like about 1/2 tsp. I also tried putting it in just water and then I crushed the clump up with a spoon and stirred. Then I drank it up. It's bitter. But I just pretended I was taking some medicine.
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:38 am      Reply with quote
bkkgirl wrote:
I was wondering for those who bought the powder form of MSM, do you find a few clumps in the jar? Do you try to break them first before measuring it? I do find some clumps big and small. I don't break them. I just guestimate and pick the big one that looks like about 1/2 tsp. I also tried putting it in just water and then I crushed the clump up with a spoon and stirred. Then I drank it up. It's bitter. But I just pretended I was taking some medicine.

Yes, it does clump but I just break it up. I measure mine out for 3 weeks at a time and use 5 dram canisters w/lids for my morning dose (along with other powders) and 3.5 dram for my evening dose w/Vitamin C.

BTW, I started back on the Vitamin C taken 2x/day and it ABSOLUTELY intensifies the MSM effects. I had a detox headache for a few hours before bed.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:40 am      Reply with quote
I have my powder in a stronger walled opaque container with a screw lid. (a Tupperware type container would do well also) I shake the container briskly for a second or two before opening. That effectively breaks up any clumps and makes it free flowing again.

Since there are no added filler or non clumping agents, it can tend to clump a bit.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:39 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, Scally and Tangal. My canister is the plastic one with a screwed-on lid. I don't mind the clumps as like you said, it shows there's no other filler or binder in the MSM. I'll have to try to take it with C twice a day. Does anyone take the C in powder form? I bought it once but it is so sour. However, maybe since the MSM is so bitter, the sour taste won't be too bad now.
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:04 pm      Reply with quote
I take powdered C. I add it and MSM to 16 ounces of Splenda Sweetened Tea. It makes it taste like lemony tea.

You can also add the C to Orange Juice, Pink or Yellow Lemon-aid, Crystal Lite, Pepsi (if you like lemon in your coke or Pepsi) etc. Anywhere you would like lemon. But add it to a large drink, 16 ozs or more, so its not to sour. Wink
Jackie284
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:23 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Ladies,
I was just going to post about the MSM making me feel 'hyper' after taking it. Within about 10 mins of taking even a tiny amount, I can feel my jaw tighten up, and as I suffer from bruxism (tooth grinding) I'm worried this will make it worse. Can anyone tell me if this hyper feeling will pass ? I really hope so,

many thanks
Jackie
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
Tangal wrote:
I take powdered C. I add it and MSM to 16 ounces of Splenda Sweetened Tea. It makes it taste like lemony tea.

You can also add the C to Orange Juice, Pink or Yellow Lemon-aid, Crystal Lite, Pepsi (if you like lemon in your coke or Pepsi) etc. Anywhere you would like lemon. But add it to a large drink, 16 ozs or more, so its not to sour. Wink

Great tip! Thanks, Tangal. Any brand of C you'd recommend?
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:45 pm      Reply with quote
Jackie284 wrote:
Hi Ladies,
I was just going to post about the MSM making me feel 'hyper' after taking it. Within about 10 mins of taking even a tiny amount, I can feel my jaw tighten up, and as I suffer from bruxism (tooth grinding) I'm worried this will make it worse. Can anyone tell me if this hyper feeling will pass ? I really hope so,

many thanks
Jackie

Hi Jackie,
May I ask how much are you taking? I'm starting my bf off at 1/8 tsp (500 mg) twice a day. He's 200 lbs or so at 6'1. It doesn't do anything for him, but I don't want him to detox too fast.
Thanks,
C
jakee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:21 pm      Reply with quote
Jackie284 wrote:
Hi Ladies,

many thanks
Jackie

If I were you, I'd listen to my body.
jakee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:33 pm      Reply with quote
Also, heres's an artilce re: risks/benefits. Can't speak to the veracity of the source, but food for thought, at least. Presents positive and negative.
I started taking it, too, but am always cautious/concerned about adding a new supplement in large amounts.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Methylsulfonylmethane-(MSM)-andHealth&id=448386
"Methylsulfonylmethane is not yet approved by the Food and Drug Administration; you might, therefore, be taking a risk if you choose to use this supplement. That being said, MSM is believed to work well by enhancing the effectiveness of pain medications allowing, as a result, their dosages to be reduced. MSM is compatible with most pain medications.

MSM is a sulfur based supplement; and sulfur is necessary for producing collagen, the primary component of cartilage, skin, and connective tissues.

You should be aware, before using MSM, whether or not you have an allergy to sulfa based medication and supplements.

How Methylsulfonylmethane Can Improve Health

Methylsulfonylmethane, reported to be effective as a pain reliever, also promotes wellness, and supplies the body with sulfur. It helps to relieve heartburn and acid stomach, allergies, and arthritis, and may prevent breast cancer.

MSM: Things to Watch Out For

MSM, like all medications, produces side effect; and, as with all medications, some of its side effects will go away over time. Other, more serious side effects could eventually be life-threatening. You should know the risks before taking any vitamin, supplement, or prescription medications.

MSM’s basic side effects are headaches and diarrhea; the more serious allergic reactions it can cause include rash, itching, swelling, dizziness, and breathing problems.

A doctor should be consulted immediately if these effects occur or are prolonged.

If you have any sulfa related allergies, are pregnant, or are breast feeding, it’s imperative that you consulting your doctor before using MSM If you are breast feeding, your child can ingest MSM from your breast milk..

Because a negative interaction between medicines can cause very serious problems, ask you doctor if taking Methylsulfonylmethane will interfere with your other medications. Also let the doctor know of any allergies you might have.

Once again, you must be aware that MSM is not approved by the Food and Drug Administration and if you choose to use it, you do so at your own risk.

You should, to prevent a negative inter-reaction, alert your doctor to all medical conditions and allergies you have, and medications you are taking. You should also, in the interests of your own safety, protection, and well-being, consult with your doctor before using this product or making any changes in your medications, diet, or vitamin regimen. The same recommendation holds for Total Balance, discussed on many pages of our website as our supplement of choice, Our How To Maximize Methylsulfonylmethane benefits

Because nutritional supplement production, both in the U.S. and other countries is largely unregulated, both governmental and private studies have shown that consumers of nutritional supplements have only a 1 in 5 chance of purchasing a supplement contain the amount of ingredients stated on the product label, or worse yet, a supplement that is not contaminated with health-impairing toxins.

We therefore advise consumers to buy health supplements from pharmaceutical GMP compliant facilities, which adhere to the world’s most exacting manufacturing standards. Doing as we suggest will ensure you of getting contaminant-free Methylsulfonylmethane, in the full amount for which you have paid."

AND THIS:
http://health.yahoo.com/topic/arthritis/treatment/qanda/mayoclinic/C2BFC2FA-4AF6-426F-AD78C67CF11D02D6

"Last Updated: 06/06/2005
Q:
Are there any negative long-term effects from taking MSM for arthritis pain?
A:
Very few studies have examined long-term effects of the dietary supplement called methylsulfonylmethane (MSM). One study suggested that it's safe to take MSM for up to 30 days. But further research is needed to assess its safety for long-term use.

MSM occurs naturally in some fruits, vegetables and grains. But it's also sold as a dietary supplement. Manufacturers of these supplements have touted MSM as a treatment for a variety of conditions, including chronic pain, arthritis, headaches, asthma, sinusitis, constipation and Alzheimer's disease.

However, only a few clinical trials have looked at the possible effectiveness of MSM in treating these conditions in humans. One small study suggested that MSM may relieve pain due to osteoarthritis. A couple of other studies suggested it may reduce symptoms of hay fever (allergic rhinitis).

Although there is great interest in using MSM to treat a variety of conditions, little evidence supports either its benefits or safety. Potential side effects of taking MSM include stomach upset, diarrhea and headache.

As with most dietary supplements, research trials involving MSM have generally been small in size and of relatively short duration. Keep this in mind as you make decisions regarding the use of dietary supplements.

© 1998-2006 Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research (MFMER). All rights reserved. A single copy of these materials may be reprinted for noncommercial personal use only. "Mayo," "Mayo Clinic," "MayoClinic.com," "Mayo Clinic Health Information," "Reliable information for a healthier life" and the triple-shield Mayo logo are trademarks of Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research."
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:01 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |