Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

MSM - I lost body fat & tighter skin - anyone else too?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
mishie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:39 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry to bring back this thread but I would love to hear an update from all of you who have been taking MSM for the past few months.

I bought a bottle today and would love to hear the benefits you all have noticed from taking this. TIA!!
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:25 pm      Reply with quote
I have been diligent in taking 4 g MSM and 6 drops Biosil daily, but not my vitamin C. Also, I'm pretty diligent with using CP serum each night. Changes I have seen since upping my MSM dosage:

hair grows faster. I'm now following Carekate's recs for coloring my own hair, since I have to do touchups every 3 weeks now.

Eyelashes look darker and fuller, though not necessarily longer.

Dreaded 11's between the eyebrows have faded just slightly

nasolabial lines used to extend from sides of nose all the way to corners of mouth. They're now about half the length they used to be.

I'm starting to see "plumping" of the skin, which I think is contributing to fading of the nasiolabial lines. This could be from occasional use of glycolic or lactic acid, but I do think MSM is contributing to this.

Melasma is FINALLY starting to fade a bit. I can see patches of "normal" skin peeking through the dark areas. I should let you know that I've also started using MSM topically, mixed in with my hyaluronic acid.

HTH! Would love to read updates from others.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:22 pm      Reply with quote
nadjazz thank you so much for such detailed feedback. That's so great that you are seeing results with you skincare regime.
I really hope others will chime in with their results.

nadjazz thanks again!!
sueqlew
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:03 pm      Reply with quote
I started taking MSM about a year ago after reading about it here.I started off slowly and did experience some side effects(headaches,diahrea,buzzing at bedtime) as I increased the dosage.This only lasted for a few days after an increase in dosage.After a few months I worked my way up to 5000mg a day.Within the first 2 months of starting I was completely pain(arthritis in ankle)free and have remained pain free.After about 6-8 months I began noticing a marked decrease in brown patches on my face.My hair is definitely thicker over-all and I think it does grow a bit faster.Unfortunately it didn't help with weight loss for me.
ruk1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
Nadjazz, would you mind letting us know which brand of MSM are you taking? Are you taking the powder form or tablet?
mishie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:47 pm      Reply with quote
sueqlew that is wonderful news that you have been pain free from taking MSM.
Do you remember how much you initially started out taking?
I just started taking the capsules this week. I am starting off for the first week or 2 with 1 capsule which is 1000mg and then work my way up from there.
I have found with other vitamins and minerals that taking it slow gives your body a chance to get use to what you are taking.
Thanks for sharing your experience!
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:02 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, ruk1 -
I pretty much tried to follow Tangal's recs for MSM, so I use PureMSM by Trimedica. It's in a powder form, and Lignisul processed. I bought mine from my local GNC.

Oh, one more side effect (not sure if you can call this one a benefit): this seems to have an affect on my alcohol tolerance level. I seem to catch a buzz MUCH faster than I used to from wine, beer, mixed drinks. I also don't feel so great the next morning! So, I never overindulge anymore. I suppose that's healthy, so I'll call it a benefit.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:22 pm      Reply with quote
great post!!
I am totally buying this tomorrow!
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:45 am      Reply with quote
I have been taking MSM religously for several months now, if not longer. Because of an unwanted side effect (if you don't mind my bluntness: gas and loose, frequent stools,) I've had to cut back my dosage from the amount I was taking: 6 grams (6000mgs) a day, to about 3 grams (3000mg.) Here's what I can report:

*Nails growing faster
*can't tell any difference in my hair
*skin looks good (but CP's, C, and Retin A may be the reason?)
*I have seen profound improvements in my joints! (I have worn out knees from running.) This may be attributable to combining it with my Glucosamine and Chondroitan and vit C
*No weight loss
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:59 am      Reply with quote
I have been taking 1000mg per day for about 2 weeks. How fast do you increase the dose and what is the final dose that most of you work up to? Does anyone know whether this is more available when taken on an empty or full stomach?

Thanks.
mishie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:00 am      Reply with quote
sharky I hope to stay on 1000mg for 2 weeks and then eventually work up to 3000. I was told that you could go up to 5000 but I hopefully will be able to tolerate 3000 with no side effects.

I would continue slowly and let your body have a chance to get use to it.

I take it after I have breakfast with my other vitamins!
Sassyred
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:47 am      Reply with quote
OMG! how did I miss this thread over the months!! I just started taking MSM capsules for my ex-broken toe that aches again. I know it helps nails/hair BUT if it can help my hips/thighs-I will INVEST in it! As I get older that area gets MORE resilant to weight loss. {sigh}

I will start taking this religiously and see if it helps! I work out and do weights and such but have poor circulation from waist down.

Glad I read this thread finally! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:58 pm      Reply with quote
Mishie...MSM should be taken (and other vitamins) at the beginning of your meal...not when you finish. This is especially important with MSM.
mishie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
mountaingirl I wish I could take them on an empty stomach but b/c I run every morning I have to eat something first. My small breakfast before my run only consists of egg whites and a rice cake. All my vitamins and minerals are in powder form and with flax seed oil are mixed as a shake in water, I take this after my run with the MSM. A little complicated but it works for all things considered.
lillilulu
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:36 pm      Reply with quote
Mountaingirl, I have been taking MSM for a while now (4000mg daily). For me, they don't seem to do anything. The ones I take are pure MSM, no fillers, so it's interesting to know that they should be taken on an empty stomach. I didn't know this and usually take them after food. Perhaps that's why they are not working? Anyway, I'll do that from tomorrow, so thanks for that.
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:25 am      Reply with quote
Lillilulu...its not an empty stomach that MSM should be taken on...rather at the start of your meal. I've had a couple health professionals advise me about that, and read it somewhere on this thread too. I think it gets absorbs better that way. I'm sorry its not doing much for you. Of all the supplements I've ever taken, it seems to be the most obviously effective!
lillilulu
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:32 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for letting me know Montaingirl. I usually take 2 tabs mid morning and another 2 just before bedtime, but I'll take them as you advise and hope they work! Funnily enough when I first started taking them, they worked really well, my hair seemed thicker, nails stronger, but for the last 3 months those improvements have stopped.
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:18 am      Reply with quote
I have gone up to 2000mg per day but my stomach is very upset. Is it better to eat something like yogurt right after? Anything else help?
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:36 am      Reply with quote
Sharky...did you gradually increase your dose and work up to the 2000mg? You are supposed to work up to the higher amounts slowly and make sure its a full meal (not just a little snack) in your belly when you take it. Yes, it can cause gas and frequent bathroom visits! Rolling Eyes
sarah19
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
Hi im thinking of trying this also.Im from the Uk where can i get this stuff from?I have read powder seems to be better than the capsules because they contain less filters but i would want to start at the lowest how can you ensure this with the powder.What is the lowest dose you can take?Also i have really senstive skin that flushes alot anyone known it to help this or to help senstive skin?

Sorry for all the questions.
Thanks Sarah
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:07 pm      Reply with quote
Sarah19...You should be able to find MSM powder at any health food store. There is something you should look for on the label, but I can't remember what it is...I think it is OptiMSM that you want or maybe its bioavailable Question Just start slowly. Since it's in powder form, you can take as little a dose as you want. Maybe 500 mg 1-2 times a day to start. That would be a half a scoop from the little scooper that came with my MSM (brand: Jarrow Formula's.) It's awful tasting, so I put it in a little bit of juice. Also, you need to take Vit C with it. Hope it does good things for you.
mishie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:34 pm      Reply with quote
I have stopped taking the MSM.

I started with 1000mg which was 1 pill per day and that just over a week. Around the 8th or 9th day I started to get a bit itchy on my hand and fingers and then I noticed small blisters!!

I had read several pages ago that someone else had the same reaction.

I just figured it wasn't worth the reaction of blisters and an upset stomach so I decided that MSM is not for me.

I have been taking Greens Multi Plus and my flax seed oil everyday for the last 5 years and have never had any reaction the the vitamins or minerals.

Obviously my system could not tolerate even 1000mg daily so there was no point in going further, better to be safe than sorry!
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:48 pm      Reply with quote
mishie wrote:
I have stopped taking the MSM.

I started with 1000mg which was 1 pill per day and that just over a week. Around the 8th or 9th day I started to get a bit itchy on my hand and fingers and then I noticed small blisters!!

I had read several pages ago that someone else had the same reaction.

I just figured it wasn't worth the reaction of blisters and an upset stomach so I decided that MSM is not for me.

I have been taking Greens Multi Plus and my flax seed oil everyday for the last 5 years and have never had any reaction the the vitamins or minerals.

Obviously my system could not tolerate even 1000mg daily so there was no point in going further, better to be safe than sorry!

mishie, that was me who posted about the tiny blisters! I stopped taking the MSM for a while, but it turned out to be the doxycycline I was taking. Apparently I had hit some kind of tolerance level with the doxy, since I took it for 6 weeks with no probs.

Once I stopped the doxy, I was able to go back to taking 4 g MSM, no blisters! But yeah, I agree, if your body can't tolerate even 1 g, then it's not for you!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:23 pm      Reply with quote
nadjazz I remember reading through all pages of this thread before I had asked for an update from those of you that had been using it for a few months and the part about the blisters seem to stick in my mind.

After I found my blisters I went back to check and sure enough it was on this thread.

I'm glad that you were able to sort out your situation with it and are back on.

I definitely do not need to worry about reactions and am happy that it happened sooner than later with no real adverse effect!
alilicious
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:22 pm      Reply with quote
I wish I could have tolerated the MSM because of the wonderful effect it had on my eyelashes making them thicker, but after having taken 1000 milligrams for a month I developed an itchy rash around my cheeks, eyes and forehead. I was also constipated nearly every day. I didn't realize that it was the MSM at first, but I hadn't changed anything in my skincare regime at the time. When I stopped taking the MSM all of the itching and rash went away and so did the constipation. My skin does not tolerate topical sulfur well and I realize it doesn't like it internally either. Sad

Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:42 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |