Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

MSM - I lost body fat & tighter skin - anyone else too?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Gypsy
5% products discount

Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:29 am      Reply with quote
Questions on powder MSM and powder Esther C(from what I skimmed on the msm board; is a better form of Vit C.?.); what do the powders taste like in water?
Sidda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:44 am      Reply with quote
avalange --

Actually, Trader Joe's vitamins are of excellent quality. They have random third party testing every WEEK. Interesting story: I was very, very ill for a long time several years ago, and was taking all sorts of vitamins/supplements (instead of breaking up with my boyfriend, who was the real problem Rolling Eyes ). I went to many healers and one asked me to bring in all my bottles of pills and, through kinesioogy, tested them to see which ones were working for me and which were not. Out of about 20 bottles, only the Trader Joe's pills were valuable to me. :->

I'm not sure all TJs sell MSM by itself now, but they should have a "Hair, Skin, and Nails" formula that contains it. Also, Emergence-C has a flavor/formula that is Vitamin C with MSM. Sold at TJs and elsewhere.

Note: TJs really does test and back all products. Full disclosure: I work for a TJs store, but I loved TJs before I worked there. Yesterday I saw a memo for ACTION ITEM (meaning immediate action required). Apparently, TJs discovered a shipment of 16 oz boxes of frozen jumbo shrimp were 1/3 oz lighter than the boxes said. All were pulled off the shelf.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:46 pm      Reply with quote
I’ve been using MSM since October last year. I started with a low dose and increased to 5g daily with 1-1,5g of Vitamin C. I also recommended mom to use it. I immediately noticed a difference on my nails; they are much stronger now compared with before. The only problem is that I took msm once daily and sometimes pretty late maybe at 5 or 6pm, because I didn’t have time to take it in the morning before going to my job. I’m also taking zink supplement.

Anyway last month I noticed that I had problems with sleeping, I could wake up in the middle of the night wondering where I am, it felt very weird and honestly I thought that I’m going crazy. I could also wake up 3-4 times at night just to go to the bathroom. I stopped taking MSM last week and these problems disappeared.

I’m sure that MSM is a great supplement to use, my skin felt better, my nails stronger (I noticed nothing on my hair) I would just recommend anyone who wants to use msm to not take it at night and in case you want to take it at night, take a lower dose.
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:59 pm      Reply with quote
Wow! A lot of information. Thank you! I can't read it all right now but skimmed it some.

I heard that there are no real studies on MSM, but personal experience is enough for me, that and that it's safe. I'll add it to my list of essential supplements. I have bought it before but I have such a bad habit I'm trying to change of collecting supplements and then never taking them or only once in a while. Then I have to throw them out because they expire. I suck. I need to get disciplined with it, but I really do want to narrow it down to only the best essentials, because I don't want to take dozens of stuff each day. There are so many things that are beneficial and good.

I guess that would be like:

MSM
EFA's
BioSil (has choline too)
B-Complex (never thought about Biotin, will look for it)
CamuCamu or Amla
Green Superfood Powder
Grapeseed Extract
Olive Leaf
Probiotic
Enzymes

Man, I guess it could go on and on. I'm going to have some nasty tasting smoothies, cause I don't like to swallow a bunch of pills.

I eat a lot of hemp seeds and they are full of sulfur (I can taste it - blech). But this MSM sounds great. I wonder if it could also lighten or get rid of freckles if it works for pigmentation problems?

Does anyone add it to their shampoo or moisturizer?

Also, I have a question about taking it. If you put it in water, do you have to drink it right away? Does it lose potency throughout the day if I put the days worth in a water bottle and just sipped it throughout the day? Thanks. Smile
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:08 pm      Reply with quote
MSM has a slight bitter taste, so I add it to a sweetened drink. In my case Iced tea. I add it to about a 16 ounce glass. Which takes me maybe an hour or two to drink. That works fine.

You can add it to juice, smoothies, soda etc. But because of the slight bitterness, probably not good with plain water.
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:30 pm      Reply with quote
Really, I never noticed a taste with it before, just wondered about potency. I guess I can try adding some vitamin C, lime and agave to the water to make it taste better.
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:34 pm      Reply with quote
potency is still the same, since you are still consuming the same amount of MSM overall.
FaithTruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:02 pm      Reply with quote
Tangal, I wonder if you are familiar with Valerian root for sleep? What dosage should be taken and can it be taken long term?
snowstar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:12 am      Reply with quote
tangal, thank you very very very much!

i read through the msm info and will go through the essentials another day. too much for my brain to absorb.

i am glad you touched on the filler aspect of pills - am aware of filler issue but have on idea how to TELL if there is filler on my pill.

from your post, it seems you are taking MSM crystal supplements with ice tea daily. would you please share the brand?

thanks!
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:31 am      Reply with quote
Sidda wrote:
avalange --

Actually, Trader Joe's vitamins are of excellent quality. They have random third party testing every WEEK. Interesting story: I was very, very ill for a long time several years ago, and was taking all sorts of vitamins/supplements (instead of breaking up with my boyfriend, who was the real problem Rolling Eyes ). I went to many healers and one asked me to bring in all my bottles of pills and, through kinesioogy, tested them to see which ones were working for me and which were not. Out of about 20 bottles, only the Trader Joe's pills were valuable to me. :->

I'm not sure all TJs sell MSM by itself now, but they should have a "Hair, Skin, and Nails" formula that contains it. Also, Emergence-C has a flavor/formula that is Vitamin C with MSM. Sold at TJs and elsewhere.

Note: TJs really does test and back all products. Full disclosure: I work for a TJs store, but I loved TJs before I worked there. Yesterday I saw a memo for ACTION ITEM (meaning immediate action required). Apparently, TJs discovered a shipment of 16 oz boxes of frozen jumbo shrimp were 1/3 oz lighter than the boxes said. All were pulled off the shelf.

sidda, you are so funny! Don't feel at all guilty of being part of a truly wonderful company and feeling the need to defend them! This is one of those rare cases in which partisanship and bias are just totally inarguable. I LOVE trader joe's--who DOESN'T? If you can find one person who doesn't, I'd be surprised. It is just that their supplements are SO inexpensive, I'm sure they are fine, but I just assumed they had fillers and were not necessarily the best in terms of quality. I was comparing them to new chapter in my mind, which are a cut above most all supplements imo. but thank you for standing up for them--I remember now that TJs really does insist on the high quality of all of their products! Thanks!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
kalegr
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:38 am      Reply with quote
Great info Tangal!! MSM is another product we feed to some of our horses, along with biotin (for show horses) and sulphur. Maybe I had better start using some of these on myself. In addition to humans, MSM is well regarded in equine and canine circles Smile
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:32 am      Reply with quote
actually I prefer powder over crystals. Powder dissolves a bit faster.

I normally purchase fromwww.msm-msm.com orwww.bio-alternatives.com
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:00 am      Reply with quote
I am not personally familiar with valerian except in a general sense. This info may assist you.

Heres some good general issue about Insomnia issues.
http://kroger.staywellsolutionsonline.com/Library/Encyclopedia/2,47

Heres info on common drugs and herbals to treat sleep issues.
http://kroger.staywellsolutionsonline.com/RelatedItems/RelatedDocuments.pg?TypeId=3&ContentId=84445&Category=Drugs

Valerian Specific Info:
http://www.drugs.com/mtm/valerian.html

There is very little medical data to support valerians claims as a relaxant or sleep aid. So effectiveness may be limited. No long-term safety data available.

Doses:
Valerian is light sensitive, so make sure product is purchased in an opaque container. And store in a dark cupboard. Keep tightly sealed and moisture free.

Infusion: 2-3 grams of valerian per cup, one to several times per day.
Tincture: half to one teaspoon, one to several times per day.
Liquid Extract: 2 to 3 grams, one to several times per day
Externally: 100 grams per full bath
Capsules, pills: per label directions

Side Effects:
Strong smell, with components similar to catnap. Making it attractive to many cats.
Do not use on children, or while pregnant or nursing.
Do not use with other sedatives or alcohol.
Do not use with other medications such as, anti-anxiety drugs, pain medications , anti-seizure meds, antidepressants.
No significant food or drug interactions known.
Do not use multiple herb drug forms together at the same time(i.e. pills, and tea, and tincture.) Which increases overdose risks.

Side effects seen occasionally are:
• headache,
• excitability,
• restlessness or uneasiness,
• sleeplessness,
• dilated pupils, or
• irregular heartbeats or other heart problems
• Possible allergic reactions
FaithTruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:41 am      Reply with quote
Thanks! So helpful.......it's scary to think that long term side effects are not known for some of the stuff we put into our bodies.
BTW it's really strange but I still find myself getting sleepy/dazed/lethargic when I take the MSM. I really wonder why and I hope this goes away. Anyone else experience this?
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:49 pm      Reply with quote
mimiek wrote:
I’ve been using MSM since October last year. I started with a low dose and increased to 5g daily with 1-1,5g of Vitamin C. I also recommended mom to use it. I immediately noticed a difference on my nails; they are much stronger now compared with before. The only problem is that I took msm once daily and sometimes pretty late maybe at 5 or 6pm, because I didn’t have time to take it in the morning before going to my job. I’m also taking zink supplement.

Anyway last month I noticed that I had problems with sleeping, I could wake up in the middle of the night wondering where I am, it felt very weird and honestly I thought that I’m going crazy. I could also wake up 3-4 times at night just to go to the bathroom. I stopped taking MSM last week and these problems disappeared.

I’m sure that MSM is a great supplement to use, my skin felt better, my nails stronger (I noticed nothing on my hair) I would just recommend anyone who wants to use msm to not take it at night and in case you want to take it at night, take a lower dose.

Just so you know, Tangal recommended that a person takes 4 g a day but spread it out to 2 g in the AM and 2 g in the PM with 12 hrs in between. I take my MSM 2g around 9 am and hope to remember to take it again at 9 pm, but sometimes I forget and take it later at 11 pm. It doesn't interfere with my sleep, but I can sleep easily. I can even sleep when I work.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
FaithTruth wrote:
Thanks! So helpful.......it's scary to think that long term side effects are not known for some of the stuff we put into our bodies.
BTW it's really strange but I still find myself getting sleepy/dazed/lethargic when I take the MSM. I really wonder why and I hope this goes away. Anyone else experience this?

Hmm...I don't know if I would attribute my sleepiness to MSM. I only got 4 hrs of sleep last night and I'm really sleepy right now. Is there anything else you take? How many hours of sleep do you get each night?
FaithTruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:08 pm      Reply with quote
It's really strange but in one of the links Tangal provided about MSM, the writeup mentioned that due to the detox, effects of PAST medications may be felt again in the process! How bizarre is that? Anyway I took sleeping pills to help me sleep awhile back and I'm wondering whether that could be it?
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:17 pm      Reply with quote
yes, thats related to the storage of past medication residue in body tissues and fats.

As the cells become more permiable, and the body is able to release/flush itself better - these residues become circulted BACK into the body, and blood, prior to elimination.

Which is why starting doses gradually, and drinking LOTS of water is recomended.

Interesting if its true.
gracedhy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
is it safe for preganant woman to take MSM?
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
personally I would not do so unless you speak to your Dr first. (this is true of any suppliment or herbal)

Many sites have preg. women that do take high MSM doses, with never an issue. I know Kerrys wife on the MSN-MSN.com site did. Its discussed on the messageboard.

But to me, its not worth the risk, until you approach your Dr first.

The toxin flush would also concern me.

Easy enough to wait until after delivery, nursing, if you want to take it. IMO.
gracedhy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:24 pm      Reply with quote
Tangal wrote:
personally I would not do so unless you speak to your Dr first.

Many sites have preg. women that do tke high MSM doses, with never an issue.

But to me, its not worth the risk, until you approach your Dr first.

The toxin flush would also concern me.

Easiy enough to wait until after delivery, if you want to take it. IMO.

Thanks Tangal for your quick reply, i am not pregnant yet but ready to conceive so that means at any time i may become pregant. i will ask my Dr.
FaithTruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
Tangal, since I'm having this strange side effect, what do you think of taking 2000mg before I go to bed?
mimiek
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
Cherisse wrote:
[Just so you know, Tangal recommended that a person takes 4 g a day but spread it out to 2 g in the AM and 2 g in the PM with 12 hrs in between. I take my MSM 2g around 9 am and hope to remember to take it again at 9 pm, but sometimes I forget and take it later at 11 pm. It doesn't interfere with my sleep, but I can sleep easily. I can even sleep when I work.

I’m not saying that msm is bad; I just described how my body reacted to the powder. Some people don’t have problems with sleeping, while others are more sensitive. We should just not ignore the side effects that might occur. I will go back to msm soon but I will be more careful about when to take it. The manufacturer of my msm recommends to not taking msm at night or before bed time, it will increase the energy level. I noticed an immediate effect when I stopped msm. This is my story I hope it helps.
FaithTruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:49 pm      Reply with quote
Hmm how strange that we have exact opposite side effects
kalegr
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:53 pm      Reply with quote
Tangal wrote:
Quote:
personally I would not do so unless you speak to your Dr first. (this is true of any suppliment or herbal)

I cannot advise re taking MSM whilst pregnant but can advise that there a warning labels on DMSO bottles/containers advising not to come in contact with DMSO whilst pregnant. I use DMSO for veterinary purposes only. I agree with Tangal I would consult a Doctor before taking MSM whilst pregant, if there are side effects it is NOT worth the risk.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:20 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |