Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.
 
 back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in



MSM - I lost body fat & tighter skin - anyone else too?

EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Author Message
mandylimks
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 26 Apr 2009
Posts: 50
Tue May 26, 2009 9:48 am      Reply with quote
what is MSM, is it very effective for body slimming?
Alien
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 03 Dec 2008
Posts: 333
Tue May 26, 2009 10:01 am      Reply with quote
http://healthlibrary.epnet.com/GetContent.aspx?token=e0498803-7f62-4563-8d47-5fe33da65dd4&chunkiid=21691

A concise review of MSM with links
Alien
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 03 Dec 2008
Posts: 333
Tue May 26, 2009 10:03 am      Reply with quote
Sorry- just checked the link as posted does not bring one directly to the MSM page. A quick search of IHerb will produce results.
kdd2411
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 15 Nov 2008
Posts: 997
Thu May 28, 2009 10:15 am      Reply with quote
Does it matter if you use the tablets or the crystals? Will you get the same results? Also, like the other memeber asked, must you take Vit C with it to activate it?

Thanks!
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 11 May 2007
Posts: 1228
Fri May 29, 2009 9:46 am      Reply with quote
I am not quite "sold" but I will check this MSM... maybe try it...


Tangal wrote:
I saw improvement is less hair fall/shed at two weeks. But skin took 4 weeks, and lashs took 6 weeks. But improvement got better after that.
hkr888
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 22 Apr 2009
Posts: 11
Fri May 29, 2009 3:42 pm      Reply with quote
So I've been reading all the posts, and I went through most of the pages here...I'm definitely going to try this out. I'm currently taking the abs+ supplement, so hopefully in conjunction with that, MSM will do the trick in losing some weight. Smile
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 27 Feb 2007
Posts: 1034
Fri May 29, 2009 6:35 pm      Reply with quote
For anyone that had headaches as a side effect, how long did it take for the headaches to disappear? I bought the 1000mg tablets and took one a day and (maybe too quickly) got up to 4 a day. The only side effect I was getting was a horrible headache. I was taking advil almost everyday. I then went back down to one tablet a day but still couldn't get rid of the headaches. I was having great results with my hair, nails and a burn mark I was trying to get rid of, but after I finished the bottle I quit taking it. I recently bought another bottle to try again, took one table and had a horrible headache the rest of the day. Has anyone else been getting headaches like this, and how long have they lasted? I'm guessing until the toxins are gone from your body, but how long is that?
Oceanpearl
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 04 Jan 2009
Posts: 23
Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:49 pm      Reply with quote
Hi

I have been reading this thread today for the first time.

I noticed that no one has posted in close to a month so I don't know that many people are still following this thread.

In a nutshell from what I read here I need to take MSM capsules with no filler, Ester-C and Omega-3.

I wonder if I should also take hydrochloric acid, biotin and folic acid?

My main concern are weak nails, brittle that split all the time, fatigue, psoriasis, extra body fat, some joint pain in my ankles probably due to scar tissue from sprains, and I think that's mostly it.


Kind regards
Erika
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 15 Apr 2007
Posts: 487
Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
Diana P wrote:
For anyone that had headaches as a side effect, how long did it take for the headaches to disappear? I bought the 1000mg tablets and took one a day and (maybe too quickly) got up to 4 a day. The only side effect I was getting was a horrible headache. I was taking advil almost everyday. I then went back down to one tablet a day but still couldn't get rid of the headaches. I was having great results with my hair, nails and a burn mark I was trying to get rid of, but after I finished the bottle I quit taking it. I recently bought another bottle to try again, took one table and had a horrible headache the rest of the day. Has anyone else been getting headaches like this, and how long have they lasted? I'm guessing until the toxins are gone from your body, but how long is that?


Hi, Diana P -
I did not experience headaches, but too much MSM too fast caused serious gastric problems. I wonder if taking Advil is, in a sense, introducing another toxin in your body that the MSM then needs to flush out?

Anyway, that aside...are you drinking enough water? Staying hydrated (again, to flush toxins) is important when taking MSM.

_________________
Nadine, age 50, live in VA; half-Asian, slight yellow tone; sensitive, dry/combo skin
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 15 Apr 2007
Posts: 487
Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
Oceanpearl wrote:
Hi

I have been reading this thread today for the first time.

I noticed that no one has posted in close to a month so I don't know that many people are still following this thread.

In a nutshell from what I read here I need to take MSM capsules with no filler, Ester-C and Omega-3.

I wonder if I should also take hydrochloric acid, biotin and folic acid?

My main concern are weak nails, brittle that split all the time, fatigue, psoriasis, extra body fat, some joint pain in my ankles probably due to scar tissue from sprains, and I think that's mostly it.


Kind regards
Erika


Hi, Erika -
MSM, Ester-C, and biotin will definitely help with the nails and joint pain, and maybe the psoriasis. The Omega-3 will probably help improve all of the issues you listed. I bet, though, that relieving the joint pain will also help with the fatigue. Also, MSM can give you too much energy (make it difficult to sleep when taken too late in the day).

_________________
Nadine, age 50, live in VA; half-Asian, slight yellow tone; sensitive, dry/combo skin
Oceanpearl
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 04 Jan 2009
Posts: 23
Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:44 pm      Reply with quote
thank you nadjazz!
Lei
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 06 Dec 2009
Posts: 55
Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:18 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for sharing, but I think you should still know from food and exercise, improve their physical fitness. Smile
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 28 Aug 2008
Posts: 2429
Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:54 am      Reply with quote
Lei do you mean people shouldn't take this if they can lose weight but look at food/exercise. I think the original poster was saying she didn't take this for those reasons, it was a side effect she noticed. Either way I'm going to purchase.
Lei wrote:
Thank you for sharing, but I think you should still know from food and exercise, improve their physical fitness. Smile
Mel1804
New Member

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 11 Dec 2009
Posts: 1
Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:10 pm      Reply with quote
I have also been taking MSM for about 2 months. I read that it is supposed to be good for skin and hair. I have seen a positive change in my face, my skin tone looks brighter. As for my hair, I haven't really noticed anything.
dryady
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 11 Apr 2009
Posts: 122
Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:59 pm      Reply with quote
thank u for all the reviews here. i just bought msm and will let u know my result later
pal
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 08 Apr 2004
Posts: 1029
Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:55 pm      Reply with quote
I not long received my MSM but I got one in tablet form with a few other herbs combined in it. Hopefully it will work just as well in this form.
shelle
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 30 Dec 2009
Posts: 45
Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:52 pm      Reply with quote
WOW I've just been reading this LONG thread and am going to go and buy some MSM tomorrow! It looks like it could be of great benfit to anyones diet! Thanks everyone for all the great info! Very Happy
blueeyes
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 22 Dec 2009
Posts: 147
Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:05 pm      Reply with quote
have also read (most of ) the postings and I'm completely sold Smile , thanks for all great information!
blueeyes
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 22 Dec 2009
Posts: 147
Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:10 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
FYI I heard MSM needs Vitamin C to be activated.Great ingredient tho,skin and joints!


I also read this, are any of you taking additional Vit C?
shelle
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 30 Dec 2009
Posts: 45
Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:27 pm      Reply with quote
OK today is day 3 of MSM!

I did some additional reading and saw also that if you use high doses you can get faster results but in turn leads to a faster and more intense detox... I figure that the pain might be worth it?

I bought the crystals in pure form from a compounding pharmacy and am taking 'almost' a teaspoon in the morning mixed in water (god the taste is sooooo bad!) but also with an orange or glass or orange juice for the vit. C and again when I get home from work at about 6pm.

I have got a terrible headache that lasts most of the day but particularly in the morning and I've been waking up feeling quite dreadful!

How much C do I need to be taking is an orange worth enough? and is 6pm too late in the evening for MSM... I have trouble sleeping in general so not sure if it's the MSM keeping me up or just me?

Thanks!
brierrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 21 Oct 2009
Posts: 622
Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:05 pm      Reply with quote
I would cut back on the amount of MSM you're taking. Try 1/2 tsp. once a day to start with and gradually work up to more. You've probably got some major detox going on so drink plenty of H20.
You need to take 1000mg. of vit.c, an orange won't give you that amount. HTH
SamiSarah
New Member

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 06 Jan 2010
Posts: 1
Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:39 pm      Reply with quote
I love MSM too, it's wonderful and I love it when I find skin care products that use MSM as an ingredient! I would love to lose weight any way that I can! lol
shelle
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 30 Dec 2009
Posts: 45
Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:16 am      Reply with quote
Thanks brierrose!

Today was really painful so when I got home I didn't take a second dose and tomorrow I will split my usual morning dose into a full days dose...maybe even less and I will definitely start taking the vit. C in tablet form along with it!

Hopefully no more headache tomorrow!
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 26 Apr 2007
Posts: 863
Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:36 am      Reply with quote
shelle wrote:
OK today is day 3 of MSM!

I did some additional reading and saw also that if you use high doses you can get faster results but in turn leads to a faster and more intense detox... I figure that the pain might be worth it?

I bought the crystals in pure form from a compounding pharmacy and am taking 'almost' a teaspoon in the morning mixed in water (god the taste is sooooo bad!) but also with an orange or glass or orange juice for the vit. C and again when I get home from work at about 6pm.

I have got a terrible headache that lasts most of the day but particularly in the morning and I've been waking up feeling quite dreadful!

How much C do I need to be taking is an orange worth enough? and is 6pm too late in the evening for MSM... I have trouble sleeping in general so not sure if it's the MSM keeping me up or just me?

Thanks!


I'm not sure about the strength of your crystals. But I took the powder form when I started and only 1/4 teaspoon twice a day at first. You are probably taking quite a hefty dose for a first-timer. You underestimate the power of this supplement.

I read in the earlier posts that you should take MSM:vit. C in the ratio 2:1. So it would be 2000mg MSM to 1000mg vit. C. Personally I wouldn't exceed 1500 to 2000 mg daily even with higher doses of MSM.
Flannery
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Posts: 48
Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:27 am      Reply with quote
What kind of Vitamin c? L-ascorbic or just ascorbic acid or Ester-C (which is more expensive)? I´m confused anyway about the different forms of Vit. C. If you take MSM in a powder form, wouldn´t it make sense to take a vit. c in that form, too? So that they get digested simultaneously?

_________________
Flan, 48 olive skin, tends t.b. oily, love SkinCeuticals CE+Ferulic (live in Germany)
System
Automatic Message
Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:07 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic



BDB Best Sellers Kit (5 items) Tanda ZAP - White Anthony Logistics Wake Up Call Hydrating Treatment Gel (90 ml / 3 floz)