Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

MSM - I lost body fat & tighter skin - anyone else too?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Rebecca1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:38 pm      Reply with quote
Flannery wrote:
What kind of Vitamin c? L-ascorbic or just ascorbic acid or Ester-C (which is more expensive)? I´m confused anyway about the different forms of Vit. C. If you take MSM in a powder form, wouldn´t it make sense to take a vit. c in that form, too? So that they get digested simultaneously?

I have just started taking my Vit C in powder form with my MSM. Only prob is I take the MSM by putting it on the back of my tongue and swallowing. The Vit C has such a strong taste that I was gasping!! Never thought anything could taste worse than the MSM.

rebecca

5% products discount

Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:35 am      Reply with quote
yeah m1rox, I have lowered my dosage to about half a teaspoon twice daily and the headaches are gone.

So far I really haven't noticed much of a change in anything (I know it's early days!) except I have a scar on the underside of my forearm from a punch biopsy I had about 6 months ago and the circle scar has shrunk a little... also my skin is feeling firmer...but then I have been eating healthy for the past week (after the festive season Laughing ) so that may also be the reason?

I wonder if anyone is using MSM topically and if they are having any good results, also what type of formula / concoction are you using?
*mirjana*
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:52 am      Reply with quote
I am taking MSM for a one month now (3200 mg + 1000 mg C vit + 100 mg HA).

What I noticed:

- skin on the inner side of my thighs are much firmer so I am very happy because cellulite is less noticeable

- skin on my belly, back and hands seems to be firmer (my subjective assessment)

- my nails - well that is the best result here - they are much stronger, grows like crazy and I am so happy because of that. I used to have one nail grinder always in my purse for first aid because of fragile nails - but now I don't have to. Well that's something.

- my hair - I don't know what to say - my hair grows slower than before. I can see really how fast hair grows because I am false blond so my roots indicate it. I was at hairdresser two days ago and she also commented it! I am so curious what will happen with that because it is obvious that something is going on. My hair used to grow very fast what wasn't good for me because of visible roots so after 20 days it was last moment to go to tint my roots. Maybe the quality will change - I have nice but very thin hair.

- and I can say that over the holidays I ate and ate much more than usually (sweets, even more drinks, much more bread, potatoes, pasta and everything) and I am now 1 kg down in my weight. Hm... every January since now was the diet time for me Razz

And - I haven't any of unwanted side effects at all.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:53 pm      Reply with quote
Its been using MSM FOR one and a half week my hair are falling like crazy no other side effects just hair are falling is it normal ??should I stop taking it ? or continue with it and it will get better....I started with 1000 mcg? once daily then 5 days later TWICE a day...
dont know what to do now...is it detox or really its not working for me Embarassed

Acne-prone skin ,Olive Complexion, using Derma pen ( MYM) ,Used LS & STOP,Got POSE and never used it.. Also got TRIA never used it...Microcurrent Tx and added Facial Detox massage and CP serum so far its pretty good
JLM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:06 am      Reply with quote
Hi simpleMD,

It's hard to tell what's going on in your case-- I'm not an expert, but it seems that a lot of people who start up with MSM experience increased hair & nail growth, and the main detox side-effects seem to be headaches and more frequent bowel movements.

I experienced rapid hair & nail growth myself, although interestingly enough, it has now normalized. However the quality of my hair & nails seems to be better than before. (I did not experience any headaches, but I increased my dosage very slowly over the course of several weeks.) Also, I've incorporated green smoothies & soups in my diet, so that probably has a lot to do with things as well.

I've been taking MSM for about 3-4 months, at one point working my way up to a mega-dose of 3tsp in the AM & 3tsp in the PM for several weeks in an effort to combat some hyperpigmentation (which I feel has actually helped things some). Now, I am just taking 3tsp in the AM.

(BTW, did you mention somewhere on the board that you're a new mom? It could be the post-pregnancy hormones that are causing the hair fall-out, not the MSM. That was definitely the case for me, with both my post-pregnances. My hair seemed so thin, it seemed like it was just a finger's thickness at one point. But it grew back. Very Happy)

Hope this helps!
simpleMD
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:22 am      Reply with quote
thanks JLM
Yes ...I am a new mom and it could be due to that but its been three months my LO is 3 months old now nothing happened till I started the MSM it could be coincidence or MSM Who knows I don't want to stop taking it if it has so many benefits at the same time I don't wants to go BALD EITHER Rolling Eyes
So I think I can stop taking for a week and see if hair loss stops if it continues then I will resume taking it....because its not due to MSM ...

Acne-prone skin ,Olive Complexion, using Derma pen ( MYM) ,Used LS & STOP,Got POSE and never used it.. Also got TRIA never used it...Microcurrent Tx and added Facial Detox massage and CP serum so far its pretty good
shelle
5% products discount

Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:27 am      Reply with quote
My hair is also falling out like crazy! I think I read a few pages back that other people were experiencing this also. I think it's because the new hair is growing so fast that it's getting rid of the old dead hair? I hope that's the reason, I don't want to go bald either!
simpleMD
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:00 am      Reply with quote
shelle...I feel for you and its scary ...Bald yikes ... Crying or Very sad Are you going to continue with it or going to stop?

shelle
5% products discount

Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:51 am      Reply with quote
I'm definitely going to continue, it's not at a stage where I'm seeing bald spots so maybe it is just a case of the scalp 'revitalising' itself or something...if I start noticing real thinning of the hair then I will stop.
Hopefully it will just pass!
Hasnaa
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:28 pm      Reply with quote
hair falling? really? my hair stopped falling and is growing fast. I feel it fuller and easier to manage. I've been taking 4000 miligrams for almost 3 months. I added the vit C and I started feeling chest pain, pinching in the left side when I breath so
i stopped the c for now
IMCathy
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:07 pm      Reply with quote
this is great! Thank you for posting all this !

5% products discount

Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:59 am      Reply with quote
I guess everyone is different, I definitely have not been getting any chest pains, strange that vitamin C would be doing this!
simpleMD
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:34 pm      Reply with quote
My hair still falling its been 20 days now I guess ........every-time I run fingers through my hair 20-25 hair come out... Crying or Very sad
Half of my existing hair are gone....am not exaggerating...its scary
I just stopped taking MSM yesterday will report back if the hair-loss stops...I am worried at this point.

maheen1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
what is MSM ??? Confused
simpleMD
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:46 pm      Reply with quote
Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) Its dietary supplement Maheen

Hermosa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:57 pm      Reply with quote
simpleMD wrote:
My hair still falling its been 20 days now I guess ........every-time I run fingers through my hair 20-25 hair come out... Crying or Very sad
Half of my existing hair are gone....am not exaggerating...its scary
I just stopped taking MSM yesterday will report back if the hair-loss stops...I am worried at this point.

It's really normal to lose a lot of hair after birth. The explanation is that you stop losing hair during pregnancy, so you shed a lot more after because your estrogen levels plummet. That usually begins when the baby is around 3 mos old and lasts a few months, but then fixes itself.

So I would not blame the MSM, more likely hormones.
JLM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:10 am      Reply with quote
Hi simpleMD,

I think I have to agree with Hermosa's assessment-- I recall that my post-pregnancy hairloss started around the 3 month mark, and seemed to continue until about the 6 month mark. It was a lot of hair down the drain!! But as I said earlier, it grew back. However, I was thinking, you may want to hold off with the MSM for now anyway, if you are nursing. Though MSM is very safe, it seems that any supplements that could be passed along to the baby might be a bit suspect at this time.
simpleMD
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:32 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Hermosa and JLM ....I am not nursing so thats not the issue but I am going to stop MSM for now at least to see if makes any difference in the hair-loss goodness Now I cant tell if its because of the postpregnancy hormones level or MSM..:)but thanks for the feedback.I never had trouble postpregnancy this is my third one so was strange to me...anyway...will update after a week of no MSM ...

murray28
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:41 am      Reply with quote
I've been taking MSM for approximately a week and a half now, and I've been plagued by the "gassy" side effect. For those that have also experienced excess and sulphur-smelling gas: exactly how long should this phase be lasting? And it's probably going to recur every time I up my dose, correct?

I'm alienating my coworkers quickly here ... Embarassed
Rebecca1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:28 am      Reply with quote
murray28 wrote:
I've been taking MSM for approximately a week and a half now, and I've been plagued by the "gassy" side effect. For those that have also experienced excess and sulphur-smelling gas: exactly how long should this phase be lasting? And it's probably going to recur every time I up my dose, correct?

I'm alienating my coworkers quickly here ... Embarassed

It lasted a while...maybe 2 weeks?? Then nothing. I've never noticed it again when I have ramped up my dose.....

HTH

rebecca

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:14 am      Reply with quote
snowqueen67 wrote:
It lasted a while...maybe 2 weeks?? Then nothing. I've never noticed it again when I have ramped up my dose.....

HTH

rebecca

Oh lord, I sure hope so! Thanks for the reassurance - I was thinking I was going to have to give up MSM if it was going to continue much longer ... or get fired ... Laughing
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:33 am      Reply with quote
http://www.nutritional-supplements-health-guide.com/msm-side-effects.html

It stands for methyl-sulfonyl-methane and is basically a sulfur compound. However, there is something about obtaining it in supplement form through MSM. Side effects are something that can happen if this is the case.

MSM Side Effects

Are you wondering what the side effects of MSM supplement are? MSM is a nutrient that is needed by the body for certain functions such as relieving heartburn, allergies, and arthritis pain. However, there are some MSM side effects to be concerned with. 

There is a controversy surrounding MSM because of its relationship to DMSO. Though it is technically considered safe, Dr. Jacobs, a surgeon, determined that there are some side effects such as a strange taste in the mouth. Also, some people experience allergic-type side effects. MSM could have these same problems. 

There are also some MSM heart side effects to be concerned with. If you have an existing heart condition, this could be a concern. Also, if you have conditions such as liver disease or on blood thinning drugs, you also need to be careful and consult with your doctor. Over time, the possibility of getting skin rashes from it is also a concern. 

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:40 am      Reply with quote
Common Doses

A typical dose of MSM ranges from 250 mg to 2,250 mg daily.

MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) is a naturally occurring compound found in many foods. It is also a popular dietary supplement. As with most dietary supplements, there is a lack of clear, quality information regarding the possible MSM side effects, since supplements are not typically thoroughly studied.

(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with MSM. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of MSM side effects with you.)

Possible Side Effects of MSM
A few clinical studies have reported side effects with MSM, although these side effects were just as common in people taking a placebo (a "sugar pill"). These possible side effects included:

Nausea
Diarrhea
Bloating
Headache
Fatigue
Insomnia
Trouble concentrating
Signs of an allergic reaction, such as:

A rash or hives
Itching
Swelling of the mouth or throat
Wheezing
Difficulty breathing.

Be sure to seek immediate medical attention if you think you may be having an allergic reaction to MSM.

Unpredictable MSM side effects are also possible due to contaminants in MSM products. Because herbs and supplements are not as tightly regulated as prescription or non-prescription drugs, they are sometimes contaminated with other herbs, medications, or even heavy metals. In order to avoid such problems, it is important to choose a high-quality supplement from a trustworthy manufacturer.

http://chronic-fatigue-syndrome.emedtv.com/msm/msm-side-effects.html

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:44 am      Reply with quote
USES: Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) has been used for pain and swelling of muscles and joints. Some herbal/diet supplement products have been found to contain possibly harmful impurities/additives. Check with your pharmacist for more details regarding the particular brand you use. The FDA has not reviewed this product for safety or effectiveness. Consult your doctor or pharmacist for more details.

HOW TO USE: Take this product by mouth as directed. Follow all directions on the product package. If you are uncertain about any of the information, consult your doctor or pharmacist. If your condition persists or worsens, or if you think you may have a serious medical problem, seek immediate medical attention.

SIDE EFFECTS: Nausea, diarrhea, or headache may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, contact your doctor promptly. An allergic reaction to this drug is unlikely, but seek immediate medical attention if it occurs. Symptoms of an allergic reaction include: rash, itching, swelling, dizziness, trouble breathing. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.

PRECAUTIONS: If you have any of the following health problems, consult your doctor before using this product: any allergies (especially to sulfa). Methylsulfonylmethane is not recommended for use during pregnancy. Consult your doctor before using this product. Because of the potential risk to the infant, breast-feeding while using this product is not recommended. Consult your doctor before breast-feeding.

DRUG INTERACTIONS: Before using this product, tell your doctor or pharmacist of all prescription and nonprescription medications you may use.

http://www.medicinenet.com/methylsulfonylmethane_msm-oral/article.htm

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:33 pm      Reply with quote
Stopped using MSM But Hair-loss didn't improve .I am going to start taking it again so if its due to Hormones and am losing all my hair with MSM hair should grow back faster right? I am hoping for it.....

System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:38 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |