Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

MSM - I lost body fat & tighter skin - anyone else too?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
ljk
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:46 pm      Reply with quote
My sister has vascular necrosis of the hips (she's 38 ) and in a lot of pain whilst waiting for her op; getting worse as time goes on. I thought buying high-strength glucosamine/chondroitin and MSN (read this combo is most effective for pain) would help.

Doesn't seem to be, unfortunately. In fact her surgeon said she would be better taking them post-op Confused But like you say m1rox, it must depend how severe your condition is.

Louise,45,UK.Sunscreen Face/Body L/Term!OCM(Castor/Carrier Oil,Vaculift),MUAC 12.5%,18% TCA,Working Up To SkinObsession 25% TCA/Jessner's.Ageless,Dr Roller,Retin-A 0.05% & 0.1%,AAging Lightstim,CP Serum,Dermawand,Vaculift Face 2 Body 2,Pretika Sonic Brush.Microfibre Cloth.Tua Viso(Broken Sad),Palovia (Started 7 April 2011!).
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:04 pm      Reply with quote
MSM is not a panacea for knee or hip or other joint ailments. It is designated to be part of a complete protocal in a situation which calls for many minerals, vitamins or delivery systems.

For skin this may include Vitamin C, copper peptides, hyaluronic acid tablets...MSM is a vital component of the tissue building program.

For the body it may require other synergistic meds. Such as chondrointen. I have great results with MSM and Biosil drops.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:23 am      Reply with quote
I take it and I think it helps. I am 56 and got carded yesterday when I tried to buy beer.I do have knee pain but not as much as I used to.But then I do take biosil drops, HA, reservatrol, lycopene,etc and I eat 5 oz of spinach every day thats supposed to be good for wrinkles!(Ok, I know I shoudnt have bought that Heinekin but it was Friday and I didnt have to work!!)
Bermie
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:56 am      Reply with quote
ok, I haven't read back through this thread yet but just wanted to say I started taking MSM about a week ago. I have a pretty sensitive tummy and I think it did upset my tummy the first few days. I think I need to build up my dose gradually. How many do people take a day?

at the moment I am only taking 1000mg a day. I really need to take more than that...eekkk, my bloody stomach is hopeless!! I have Fibromyalgia so am hoping it will help with that. I really want to start taking Reservatrol too.

ok, off to have a read back!
pinknika
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
Just my results with MSM. I thought it would be a wonder supplement for me, a lot of acne sufferers swear by it. For me, it broke me out. I know that it contains sulfur which is supposed to help with cell turnover, making the skin cells exfoliate a lot more. For me, when my skin cells exfoliate a lot more, my pores get clogged, and that results in a pimple. I do believe I have a hyperkeratinization of some kind, and MSM helps form keratin, so it is great for hair, but for me, not for my face. I stopped using it. So I think it is different for every person.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:54 pm      Reply with quote
I've been taking 1,000 mg of MSM the last 3 weeks. At the moment that is all I can handle. Someone said they thought it causes their hair to shed. Just got a bang trim and ten days later my bangs seem longer than usual. However, I think I might have had some shedding the last time I washed. The first week or two my hair felt fuller. Question Who knows. I tried 2,000 mg one day and got terrible insomnia. It will be a while before I have tighter skin or magical fat loss....
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:37 am      Reply with quote
Bermie wrote:
ok, . How many do people take a day? at the moment I am only taking 1000mg a day. I really need to take more than that...eekkk, my bloody stomach is hopeless!! I have Fibromyalgia so am hoping it will help with that. I really want to start taking Reservatrol too.

Bermie...1000mg is waaaay too much to start with! I would start with 250 mg, then after a couple or few weeks, increase that to 250 mg twice a day, then go t0 500 mgs twice a day and slowly work up to 1000 twice a day. If you go to fast, your tummy with let you know...with sulfur smelling flatulence and the
dia-wee wee's Wink

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:26 am      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
Bermie wrote:
ok, . How many do people take a day? at the moment I am only taking 1000mg a day. I really need to take more than that...eekkk, my bloody stomach is hopeless!! I have Fibromyalgia so am hoping it will help with that. I really want to start taking Reservatrol too.

Bermie...1000mg is waaaay too much to start with! I would start with 250 mg, then after a couple or few weeks, increase that to 250 mg twice a day, then go t0 500 mgs twice a day and slowly work up to 1000 twice a day. If you go to fast, your tummy with let you know...with sulfur smelling flatulence and the
dia-wee wee's Wink

Well said Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:47 am      Reply with quote
MSM are pretty expensive stuff in Sweden - any good advice to purchase it online, that ships worldwide?

Interesting stuff it seems I say. I have some neck problems with my joints, can always try out something new that's also good for my skin and well being.

Smile

Sara, 36 Swedish. Brunette, brown eyes. Fair sensitive reactive skin, no wrinkles(yet), enlarged pores, some broken caps and get easily sunspots. Oily but dry skin. Ten months with Tretionin 0,025% gel PM, Vita C AM - SC Phloratin and Freulic. Use DeCleor and Dr H right now.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:14 pm      Reply with quote
Some places to try:
Vitacost.com
iherb.com
swansonsvitamins.com

luckyvitamins.com

One of these might have international shipping.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:56 am      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
mountaingirl wrote:
Bermie wrote:

dia-wee wee's Wink

Well said Laughing

Haha..thanks ladies, I am only getting back to this thread now!!!

I have been taking 1000mg to 1500mg most days, seem to be going okay, been taking them now for about 3-4 weeks, can't see myself getting any higher for a while. Don't see any changes or notice anything as yet?
ladygrey33

Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:32 am      Reply with quote
Im really loking to lose some weight and its really hard Sad .. Anyone suggest any good tips? Or where I can get the crystals? Thanks x
havana8

Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
re-posting for lucyfly

lucyfly wrote:
Hi Tangal..you seem to be very knowledgeable about the use of msm. I started taking ALOT about 2 and a half weeks ago,,,not realizing that one should work up to it. Needless to say, I experienced breakouts and many of the "detox" type symptoms. One thing though, at first my skin on my face looked great,, then it broke out..now clearing up, but has become dry and flakey (still plumped up) but dryer and constantly exfoliating. Will this end soon? I cut back to about one and a half tablespoons a day to slow down the symptoms.
Thanks for any info you can provide.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:24 pm      Reply with quote
havana8 wrote:
re-posting for lucyfly

lucyfly wrote:
Hi Tangal..you seem to be very knowledgeable about the use of msm. I started taking ALOT about 2 and a half weeks ago,,,not realizing that one should work up to it. Needless to say, I experienced breakouts and many of the "detox" type symptoms. One thing though, at first my skin on my face looked great,, then it broke out..now clearing up, but has become dry and flakey (still plumped up) but dryer and constantly exfoliating. Will this end soon? I cut back to about one and a half tablespoons a day to slow down the symptoms.
Thanks for any info you can provide.

One and a half tablespoons is waaay too much to start. Some advice is to start with 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon and work up slowly. This will help clear up your extreme detox symptoms.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:58 pm      Reply with quote
I use Rich's MSM topically and crystals Smile
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:26 pm      Reply with quote
I add 1/2 tsp to my coffee every morning. I wonder if this is why my hair and nails grow so fast. I don't think it helps with weight loss for me since I haven't lost any weight. Tighter skin? Who knows if it helps with that or not? My skin looks good though. Most people think I'm in my late 20s or early 30s instead of early 40s.
Anne19
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:25 am      Reply with quote
Natalyn, I too take 1/2 teaspoon every day. I'm glad you mentioned that because my eyelashes have gotten very long and thick and my nails are growing quickly and strong. I hadn't made that connection yet, so thanks!
ljk
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:10 am      Reply with quote
I bought MSM (2 x 1.5kg bags of powder, over so many months) and I can't say it made any difference to my skin, or my body fat! Very Happy

Worked up to a heaped tablespoon and 1000mg Vitamin C. Wondering if it just isn't for me, or if I have to up the C dosage too? The doses always confused me somewhat Confused Luckily I never suffered from an upset stomach.

My hair is thick and grows like crazy so it's really hard to tell!

PS: My sister got her two titanium hips 3 months ago and takes MSM/Chondroitin..have to ask if it benefits her pain/mobility-wise.

Louise,45,UK.Sunscreen Face/Body L/Term!OCM(Castor/Carrier Oil,Vaculift),MUAC 12.5%,18% TCA,Working Up To SkinObsession 25% TCA/Jessner's.Ageless,Dr Roller,Retin-A 0.05% & 0.1%,AAging Lightstim,CP Serum,Dermawand,Vaculift Face 2 Body 2,Pretika Sonic Brush.Microfibre Cloth.Tua Viso(Broken Sad),Palovia (Started 7 April 2011!).
brierrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:58 am      Reply with quote
MSM/Glucosamine helps me with any joint stiffness, something I was more aware of when I stopped using it for awhile.
It also makes my hair softer & healthier looking.
Anne19
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
I like to mix my MSM powder in water along with a packet of Emergen-C. Vitamin C supposedly makes the MSM more effective
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:23 pm      Reply with quote
MSM coupled with Vitamin C is considered part of a healthy skin (remodeling) program. It is recommended by facial exercisers as well as Skinbiology founder Dr Loren Pickart in his research with copper peptide use. Some take Biosil with MSM also. Benefits are for skin, hair, nail growth and ligaments and tendons.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:50 pm      Reply with quote
I swear, I am such a follower Rolling Eyes I went out and bought this stuff! You all are a "bad" influence on me Bad Grin !!! I'm so excited, I can't wait to see how this works. Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:25 pm      Reply with quote
Good luck Smile Word of caution on the MSM, start with a small amount, as it can cause tummy troubles... (I actually started with a small amount and have stayed at that dosage because of this reason)

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
I wish I lost a couple pounds on it, but I did see some other benefits. My bones felt a lot less achey this winter when I was taking it (knees and fingers esp), my skin was clearer. I can't remember why on earth I stopped taking it, I guess I just got lazy.

5% products discount

Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
Is the daily dosage of 5000mg of MSM a bit too much? I've been taking 1000mg for months (with no visible results) and then gradually upped the dosage to 5000mg per day. I don't have any digestion problems, however my hair and nails look great Smile. Skin, on the other hand, is showing no improvement whatsoever.

But I didn't find anything about MSM toxicity so I thought it should be okay? Or not?
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:06 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |