Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

I used Epilady (the self-torturing device) on my mustache
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:35 pm      Reply with quote
leidon wrote:
Does your hair grow back thicker or in stubble? How often do you find you have to use it

I've been epilating for about 12 years, maybe more, and my hair is definitely growing in finer and sparser. I only have to "touch up" every week or so, maybe more if I'm going to the beach or out.

Here's a factoid I learned from an American Indian friend: at puberty, when girls' and boys' leg, underarm and facial hair (respectively for girls/boys) is starting to show, she said they are taught to pluck it out so that it doesn't grow back! That explains the creamy smooth skin! Ever see an Indian with a beard??? Or hairy legs/underarms??? NO!

I know that's true because I used to pluck out my eyebrows as a (stupid) teenager, and now they don't grow back!! Bald as an egg! Wish I'd plucked the legs instead.... Crying or Very sad

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
Mine is the Braun Silk-epil Xelle 5185 (the UK basic version without the narrow epilation head and shaver head). Does the narrow head make the bikini line more bearable? Wonder if Braun let you order it separately?

I'm too much of a scaredy cat to do my bikini line! I do my underarms and they nip a bit, but bearable.

My legs don't hurt *at all*, which was a pleasant surprise, I do them without batting an eyelid. Smile

Braun has a newer model out now, called Xpressive, too.

Louise,45,UK.Sunscreen Face/Body L/Term!OCM(Castor/Carrier Oil,Vaculift),MUAC 12.5%,18% TCA,Working Up To SkinObsession 25% TCA/Jessner's.Ageless,Dr Roller,Retin-A 0.05% & 0.1%,AAging Lightstim,CP Serum,Dermawand,Vaculift Face 2 Body 2,Pretika Sonic Brush.Microfibre Cloth.Tua Viso(Broken Sad),Palovia (Started 7 April 2011!).
ljk
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:35 pm      Reply with quote
I can't see Braun Xpressive on the US site, so I thought I'd add the link so you can see it..

http://www.braun.com/uk/silkepilxpressive/silkepilxpressive.html#/home/

Louise,45,UK.Sunscreen Face/Body L/Term!OCM(Castor/Carrier Oil,Vaculift),MUAC 12.5%,18% TCA,Working Up To SkinObsession 25% TCA/Jessner's.Ageless,Dr Roller,Retin-A 0.05% & 0.1%,AAging Lightstim,CP Serum,Dermawand,Vaculift Face 2 Body 2,Pretika Sonic Brush.Microfibre Cloth.Tua Viso(Broken Sad),Palovia (Started 7 April 2011!).
Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
I had threading done on my eyebrows and it was pure torture. My whole face was covered in tears! My eyebrows do look absolutely gorgeous! I do not know how anyone can pluck or use that Epilady thing under the arms or on the legs. Just the thought of that makes me want to scream!
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:06 pm      Reply with quote
It's an acquired taste! Razz

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
Legs are the easiest, probably because there are fewer nerve endings there in comparison to other areas of the body. I think the upper lip is the worst for me, though I admit I only do the bikini line, so maybe the more "personal" bikini area would be the worst.

In any event, no question that the first time in any area is the hardest and the pain gets much, much less with repeat epilation.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
Doing the upper lip makes me sneeze constantly!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:58 pm      Reply with quote
I think the sneezing is for the same reason that looking at a light can make you sneeze--the pain causes the eye to water slightly and a tiny bit of nasal fluid too--just enough to trigger the sneeze.
catballou
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:01 am      Reply with quote
I bought a Braun epilator a few weeks ago, mostly for my face. I have fine, almost invisible fuzz that worries me. The first time I used the Braun, it was excruciating, but I did my whole face and loved the look, after the redness went away. I've used it a second time, and the pain was much less. I tried it on my bikini line, and I got red bumps. I'd actually rather use a depilatory cream there. I tried it on my legs, and I'm not sure I would ever have the patience to do them all over. I'll probably just keep shaving them in the shower, but I'm very happy with the Braun for my face.

I’m 60, never smoked, eat healthy, fitness center + hiking, lots of water and nutrients, size 4 jeans Smile, some lower facial sagging, but it’s improving with AALS, Clarisonic, Remergent, L2K, (including her new hand held devices), Ageless exercises, peels, OCM, etc. “This is my face; deal with it.” Annette Bening
sgresnic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:34 am      Reply with quote
I've never used an epilator on my face - that's brave! but I have used it on my bikini line, underarms, legs.... and I love it. The first time is the worst - I remember having to take breaks. But now it's nothing. I think one technique in the beginning is to numb your legs, etc. with ice. After I'm done I put 100% aloe on whatever I've worked on and that stops any red bumps from forming.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:38 am      Reply with quote
bkkgirl wrote:
Whoever created Epilady must have been rather sadistic. But I bought it, and found I could not live without it now. I used it to shave my legs, and then I can go a week without shaving, and now I am not as hairy as I used to be since some hair did not grow back. Oooohhh the first time I used this thing, my tears were escaping blurring my vision. I was undeterred and persevered.

Then I expanded the usage to underarms. OUCH!! Well, I got used to that, too, now.

So I am getting braver, and started to use it on my upper lips for those tiny nuisance mustaches. I tried to be very gentle, and not to touch my skin too hard. It worked like a charm.

Just wonder if I'm the only crazy one around here. Anyone else used this torturing device?

OMG - You ARE brave! I tried this on my legs years ago and thought I was dying! ROFL!
snowstar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:21 am      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:

Here's a factoid I learned from an American Indian friend: at puberty, when girls' and boys' leg, underarm and facial hair (respectively for girls/boys) is starting to show, she said they are taught to pluck it out so that it doesn't grow back! That explains the creamy smooth skin! Ever see an Indian with a beard??? Or hairy legs/underarms??? NO!

u're kidding me?! that's the secret to silky skin? the leg hair just crept up on me one day.

i've been tweezing my underarm for over 10 years, they're still growing back strong though Sad what i'll give to know this tidbit earlier!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:39 am      Reply with quote
snowstar!
Tweezing your armpits? Awesome! It probably hurts less than the epilator, but you must be a contortionist and ambidexterous.
Yeah it only works if you start when the follicles are just budding I think.
I had electrolysis of my bikini area (not the whole enchilada, just the sides). Best thing ever! That way it will NOT grow back. I think this is the way to go with pesky chin hairs too. Although it did take a year of weekly treatments to treat the area. Back then it was $7.00 per treatment, but probably much more now. Well worth it!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
I had electrolysis of my bikini area (not the whole enchilada, just the sides). Best thing ever!

fawnie, I can always count on your for my daily laughs....You crack me up Image

The closest I ever got to the "enchilada" was with 'Nair', and I almost burned myself to death....

Back to the topic at hand; I used my epilator for the first time recently, on the baby fine fuzzies (sounds so much nicer than the dreaded moustache) above my upper lip, and never experienced that much pain in my life. Now I know where the saying "it brought tears to my eyes" originated.

I managed to get about 80% through it before I raised the flag of defeat, but I'm happy to report it took a couple of weeks to grow back.., and that is a very good thing IMHO.

Moral of this long winded story is that I will continue to do it.....know matter how much I hate it, because I know that after a while, it won't grow back.....(Been there done that on my legs, and now only have a handful of hairs to deal with monthly.. Laughing )

So keep a stiff upper lip girls, and just keep telling yourself that pain is good.. Laughing

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:48 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah Kassy_babe, keep at it girl.
The Epicare isn't as painful as the Silk-epil i think for the upper lip area. I kinda like it. As someone else here said, once you get the wrist action going you can zip thru it quickly.

PS - ooooooooooooo - Nair on the Netherparts! Ouchie! Shock Shock

5% products discount

Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:17 am      Reply with quote
The only way I found to prevent red bumps after epilating (or waxing) my upper lip was to immediately splash icy water on the area, quickly dry it and generously apply Elizabeth Arden's Eight Hour Cream Skin Protectant. You have to be a couple of hours alone though, because that cream is very greasy, thus noticeable. Best would be to do it before going to bed.
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:19 pm      Reply with quote
rockplume wrote:
The only way I found to prevent red bumps after epilating (or waxing) my upper lip was to immediately splash icy water on the area, quickly dry it and generously apply Elizabeth Arden's Eight Hour Cream Skin Protectant. You have to be a couple of hours alone though, because that cream is very greasy, thus noticeable. Best would be to do it before going to bed.

Another reason why the epicare device/knockoffs are good for getting rid of hair above the lip! And cheaper too...

5% products discount

Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:38 am      Reply with quote
I would still buy the top-of-the-line Braun though. I've had many different Braun models over the years (all great), switched once to another brand (Philips), and immediately switched back to Braun. The new ones, with the integrated light, are fantastic. It does help a lot.
(I use it for my upper-lip, full legs, bikini-line, and toes, lol)
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:38 am      Reply with quote
I agree that Braun is a good brand. Very gentle. It doesn't seem to inflict as much pain as the other brands out there.
vinita_jayant

Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:46 pm      Reply with quote
I'm currently using silk-epil and i have to say its amazing for my arms, legs and underarms-dont really feel much pain except for my underarms.

The 1st time i tried it i got scared just listening to the sound!!

I tried using it once for my bikini line but it hurt too much but the end result was amazing-my skin out there was super smooth!(couldn't get all the hair off though)

take care to clean it properly with alcohol -if you dont u might land up causing infection to your hair folliciles.

didnt work well for my upper lip- landed up cutting myself

Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:57 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |