Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
I used Epilady (the self-torturing device) on my mustache
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:27 pm      Reply with quote
RubyWong wrote:
I bought mine a long time ago and used it for a couple of time. It was painful and I noticed it gave me red bumps afterwards ( I have sensitive skin). After reading this topic, I've picked up on it again and I find it to be a great tool. I use it on my legs and armpit and the hair grows back very slow. Much better than shaving!!! Very Happy

Cool!! I can't wait to get mine, along with the No Scream Cream!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

No Scream Cream:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=20605
snowstar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:18 pm      Reply with quote
oh no! another lemming... now i want the no scream cream. my bikini line still hurts like CRAZY when i wax it.....

don't have the guts to use the epilator down there Razz
snowstar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:19 pm      Reply with quote
poolisey, a female magazine just did a road test on various kind of epilators. i'll post the results when i get home tonight - don't have it with me as yet. Smile
waffle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:32 pm      Reply with quote
think how much money we could save not getting our lady bits waxed! After tip it's $65 for me...so if this scream cream works I am going to take that little lawn mower to ...the lawn....and save myself some money! My roomates are going to be soooo horrified when they hear me revving that thing up. too bad, I say! I'm going to Hawaii in May and I'm going to epilate every numb inch!
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:57 pm      Reply with quote
snowstar wrote:
poolisey, a female magazine just did a road test on various kind of epilators. i'll post the results when i get home tonight - don't have it with me as yet. Smile

Can't wait for you to post the results! Very Happy

The braun 5680 looks so good.. Cool

I tried waxing down there, and it hurt like hell! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:58 pm      Reply with quote
waffle wrote:
think how much money we could save not getting our lady bits waxed! After tip it's $65 for me...so if this scream cream works I am going to take that little lawn mower to ...the lawn....and save myself some money! My roomates are going to be soooo horrified when they hear me revving that thing up. too bad, I say! I'm going to Hawaii in May and I'm going to epilate every numb inch!

Remember to post back your results with the No Scream Cream, if you get it! Very Happy Very Happy
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:11 pm      Reply with quote
waffle wrote:

I tried that waxing once, and not ever again. It hurt like heck, and she didn't get rid of all the hair, and I still had to pay and tip her. I had to end up using my Epilady to clean up the mess.
samantha185
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:39 pm      Reply with quote
I tried Epilady and it didn't work for me. Had no effect whatsoever, think my hair roots are really strong Confused I also bought the Braun epilator and that works but it hurts like anything Sad So now i stick to waxing, by professionals! Bad Grin It doesn't hurt as much as epilating and it's actually quite soothing, when you find a really good waxing therapist that really knows her job that is Razz

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:20 am      Reply with quote
poolisey, hope this review helps you. The products are road tested by Simply Her employees, a magazine in Singapore. Please note that the prices are in Singapore dollar. I put them in so you can get an idea of price comparision between the products Smile

To summarize, they tested 5 products.
1 philips
2 braun
2 panasonic
snowstar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:26 am      Reply with quote
Philips HP6493
cool and painless
$139.90

Performance:
The illustrated manual is clear and user friendly. For someone who has tried the older models of epilators, the experience with this one was surprisingly painless and definitely more bearable than waxing.

For first-time users or those with a low pain threshold, there’s an ice skin (place it in freezer for four hours prior to using) to numb the skin. The firm grip makes the appliance easy to handle and it’s a fairly quiet operator. Removes hair thoroughly except for the occasional stubborn strand. It took only 10 minutes to epilate both legs and another five minutes for the arms.

Extra features include the shaver alternative and a sponge for scrubbing off trapped hair.

Pain Factor
1/10. The cool sensation and massaging feature worl well so you feel little pain.

Verdict
Excllent for first timers and pain phobics!

Rating
snowstar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:32 am      Reply with quote
Braun 3370
removes with one stroke
$139

Performance
The epilator is shaped in a way that makes it a little confusing to attach the heads to the main body but this is easily sorted out by the instruction booklet, which comes with clear and useful illustrations.

The main machine is packed with a brush comb, two epilator heads, a massage roller clip and an EfficiencyPro clip that works on the finer, shorter hairs for thorough epilation. Hairs were removed quickly and efficiently, and the smaller epilation head worked well on the bikini line.

The massaging rollers helped to ease the pain around areas like the legs, arms and even underarms, but the pain was still noticeable in the bikini area.

Pain Factor:
4/10 – The pulling action is slightly stronger so the pain seemed more apparent.

Verdict:
Even the shorter hairs were nicely cleaned up.

Rating:
snowstar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:34 am      Reply with quote
Braun 5280
Gentle start up
$149

Performance:
The Easy Start Set includes a cooling glove and starter head to give a gentle start into epilation. This is very useful for minimising irritation especially for first-time users. A quick flip through the manual gets you acquainted with the machine and you can start epilating straightaway.

There is an EfficiencyPro clip that works well on the finer, shorter hairs, as well as a convenient shaver head for quick de-fuzzing. Another useful function is the Smartlight that shines on tiny hairs so you won’t miss any strays.

Skin feels smooth after epilation and hair is effectively removed in one stroke if you deploy the correct head for that specific area.

Pain Factor:
3/10 – Thanks to the cooling glove and massaging rollers, the pain factor is low, but first timers might experience slight discomfort around the bikini line.

Verdict:
Pretty looks and a versatile all-rounder.

Rating:
snowstar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:36 am      Reply with quote
Panasonic ES2028
Ergonomic but average
$129

Performance:
This model comes with two epilation heads – one with a bigger “pull” area for legs and arms, and a smaller one for sensitive areas like the underarms and bikini line. The kit also comes with a shaver head, which is useful for a quick tidy up when you’re in a hurry.

It’s a user-friendly model so no reading of manual is needed. The heads can be easily fitted onto the epilator though the epilating process takes slightly longer than other models.

When using the shaving head with the comb slotted on top, the longer strands were easily removed but when epilating around sensitive areas like the bikini line, the process can be quite uncomfortable.

Pain Factor:
6/10 – Felt slightly sluggish, which contributed significantly to the pain factor.

Verdict:
Skin was smooth but slightly red afterwards.

Rating:
snowstar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:38 am      Reply with quote
Panasonic ES2021
Portable travel size
$49

Performance:
It’s a straightforward device so no reading of the manual is needed. The slim, tube-like design makes it easy to navigate through tight corners such as the bikini line and underarms.

This is a travel piece, so don’t expect a high-powered epilating machine that will de-fuzz the area in one go. It’s quite effective at pulling hair out from the root but you have to go over the same area a few times to clean up the hairs thoroughly.

It took about five minutes longer than usual for each area, compared to stronger models.

Skin is smooth after epilation.

Pain Factor:
3/10 – A gentle, pulling action that removes only a couple of hairs each time so there’s minimal pain.

Verdict:
Not a power mover but good for frequent travelers.

Rating:
samantha185
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:56 am      Reply with quote
Just to add on to the review of Braun epilators from the magazine... I'd used the Braun Silk-Epil Softperfection with the gentle startup kit of rollers/massagers... for those who's interested to try just FYI that the pain rating is probably not that accurate. It hurts quite a bit Mad even with the startup kit, and not just at the bikini line but underarms also. It may be that my hair roots are quite thick but I have absolutely no problems with the tug of a full brazilian wax so I guess my threshold for pain should be quite normal, if not high.

BTW, hi snowstar... are you from Singapore as well? Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:53 am      Reply with quote
the braun ones I saw on drugstore.com had excellent ratings and were only about $50...I wonder what the difference is between all these ones that are over $100?

edit: good job reading waffle, way to notice it's in singapore dollars. not that I know what the exchange rate is though.
snowstar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:58 pm      Reply with quote
waffle, i should make it more obvious that it's in not in usd Smile

i swear i managed to edit some of my posts but i don't see the edit option for these posts!
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:28 pm      Reply with quote
Snowstar,
The phillips one look the most painless.. But I'm really lemming the Braun ones.. What about you? Very Happy
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:54 pm      Reply with quote
Here is what I do for pain-free epilation:

. I use the Braun Silk-epil Xelle.

. the instructions say to epilate after a shower when skin is warm and soft - this doesn't work for me, I do it BEFORE because I think it hurts less.

. for under arms and bikini area: dust lightly with talcum powder to absorb any persperation and to make sure skin is absolutely dry and smooth. Next I use one of those tiny battery operated shavers that look like a pen - it comes with a kind of "comb" attachment that shaves the hair short, but doesn't shave it all off. Then I use the epilator with the small head attachment. Lastly, I rub emu oil into the newly epilated skin in the bikini area.

. for the legs: no talk is necessary. I use the head attachment that lifts up the hair. I find that doing the legs doesn't hurt at all - just pull the skin tight as you run the epilator up and down your leg.

To sum up - it is important not to have the hairs too long when you epilate. I think this is why some of you are running into trouble, also make sure your skin is completely dry. With continued use you will find that hair growth becomes less and less - I now only have to epilate every couple of months.
westwood
5% products discount

Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:56 am      Reply with quote
Hi all,
Enjoying this thread - need to advance it!

I've used the Braun Silk-epil Soft Perfection for a couple of years now. The roller heads definately helped to get used to the pain/sensation, now I use the normal head with no pain at all - feels just like shaving.
The hairs have gotten finer and grow alot less over time.
One problem I have though, is my calf/underarm and bikini line areas always get a 'plucked chicken' look with red lumps, and quite a few raised dot scar looking marks.

I like the fact that I don't have to shave every other day, only epilate once a fortnight, but the marks on my skin are not nice (thankfully I wear trousers all the time!) but that's not supposed to be the point! I WANT LOVELY SMOOTH, UNMARKED SKIN. HELP Crying or Very sad

I have tried epilating before and after shower, still doesn't help. I have thin/light blonde hair growth, so they shouldn't be tough to remove. Have never tried waxing, I went straight from shaving to epilator.

Any suggestions would be VERY welcome. Summer is coming and I want a smooth underarm, not all lumps and bumps of irritation.

Val
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:05 am      Reply with quote
westwood wrote:
Hi all,
Enjoying this thread - need to advance it!

I've used the Braun Silk-epil Soft Perfection for a couple of years now. The roller heads definately helped to get used to the pain/sensation, now I use the normal head with no pain at all - feels just like shaving.
The hairs have gotten finer and grow alot less over time.
One problem I have though, is my calf/underarm and bikini line areas always get a 'plucked chicken' look with red lumps, and quite a few raised dot scar looking marks.

I like the fact that I don't have to shave every other day, only epilate once a fortnight, but the marks on my skin are not nice (thankfully I wear trousers all the time!) but that's not supposed to be the point! I WANT LOVELY SMOOTH, UNMARKED SKIN. HELP Crying or Very sad

I have tried epilating before and after shower, still doesn't help. I have thin/light blonde hair growth, so they shouldn't be tough to remove. Have never tried waxing, I went straight from shaving to epilator.

Any suggestions would be VERY welcome. Summer is coming and I want a smooth underarm, not all lumps and bumps of irritation.

Val

Are the red bumps caused by the epilator..? Neutral
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:06 am      Reply with quote
westwood wrote:
Val

I end up with the lumps and bumps on my bikini area too - but, like I said earlier, I massage in emu oil and the next day they are gone.
westwood
5% products discount

Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:31 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
westwood wrote:
Val

I end up with the lumps and bumps on my bikini area too - but, like I said earlier, I massage in emu oil and the next day they are gone.

Poohlisey, I guess you could say that they are caused by the epilator by the fact that I use it! Can't really say it is a fault of the machine, just that my skin seems sensative to the pulling action.

Keliu, I have never tried Emu oil, but heard alot of good things in its favour. Will buy some and try it out. BTW, what does Emu oil smell like?
curlylaura
5% products discount

Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:35 am      Reply with quote
Hi

I have just bought the Philips HP6493. To be honest it's much easier to use without the ice pack. It doesn't hurt anywhere near what I expected or had been lead to believe by others. I've got some red dots all over my legs but I expect that's because it was my first time using it.

I'll need to do my legs again in about a week because annoyingly half the hair wasn't long enough to rip out. I expect it will take a while for me to get used to it and manage to get all the hairs out during the same session.

Laura
snowstar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:03 am      Reply with quote
poohlisey, i was also surprised when i saw this review. in fact, before this, i didn't even know that philips sell epilators Smile

i bought a braun silk epil soft perfection in the most gorgeous lilac and white color! Yes, i was suckered into buying this for the color.... this was about a year ago.

Legs
i use it for my lower legs only - the pain is pretty bearable but please note that i've been waxing for a couple of years before this Smile I do get a couple of red spots here and there. there dissapear in a day or so. i was told that the red marks are due to skin sensitivity.

i couldn't take the pain from epilating my thighs - tears came to my eyes. waxing was a lot less painful but caused a lot of bumps and ingrown hair for me.

Underarm
for the underarm, it's painless! however, i find that it doesn't get all the hair. this is most probably due to the uneven surface.

Face and bikini line
i've never tried epilating either. the head is pretty big and i've no idea how to direct it properly. i'm not about to risk getting my sensitive regions caught in the machine! i do know a friend who is does a full brazalian and epilates biweekly with no problem!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:01 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |