Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Photo diary of a skincare virgin (and it shows!) or not...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
SandyC123
5% products discount

Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:27 am      Reply with quote
Hi all! I posted an intro in the intro thread but thought I'd do it again in case someone missed it. My name is Sandy. I found this board doing a google search for botox alternatives and I'm so glad I did! I've been reading for a couple of days now and I love it here! It's such a fun and informative place! Okay. So...the reason Im here. I'll be thirty in June and, as I age, I'm becoming really self conscious about my skin. I've never really done ANYTHING in the way of taking care of it. Occasionally, I will put on some regular Oil of Olay face cream when I remember (which is maybe two or three times a month) but I've only started that in the last year or so. I wash my face with whatever bodywash I happen to be using in the shower. I didn't even know what toner was until I came here and I'm still not really clear on that. I don't tan anymore but in my teens I did. I don't wear sunblock either though.
Currently we live in southeast GA. We've here for 14 months. The weather is crazy. 80's one day, 50's the next. We have hard water. My skin is insane here. I'm not usually prone to breakouts but when I do get them, I get them in my t-zone. The skin on the rest of my face is dry. I need help and I really have no idea where to start. I'm going to try the OCM and I did buy some silkia camillia oil and some spa grade microdermabrasion cream from eyezonit that I've read lots of great reviews on. Can anyone offer any other suggestions for me? I need to start taking care of my skin. I took some pics of the different problems I hope to correct but I can't post them because I'm still new I guess. I just spent close to an hour getting them on photobucket and captioning them and stuff. Crap, lol. Okay. I have fine lines under my eyes. When I smile they wrinkle up. I have a fine line in the center of my eyes that I guess is from squinting. When I make an angry face, it looks like I have a plumbers crack between my eyes. Yay. I have large pores. When I rub my hand on my face, I feel little bumps everywhere but they are flesh colored. On my nose, I have blackheads. Lots of them. Oh. I have puffy skin under my eyebrows. It's worse on my left eye and when I smile, it almost squinches shut. Um...The pictures showed it better than I can describe. Basically, I'm a mess.
Help me please Sad

Sandy
angelina
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:48 am      Reply with quote
I can't see any pics! Smile
SandyC123
5% products discount

Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:59 am      Reply with quote
Hey, Angelina. I can't post them because I'm too new, I guess. It said something about not allowing new members to link to external websites so I guess that includes photobucket. I had to take them out. Confused
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:41 am      Reply with quote
Sandy,

I totally and utterly feel your pain. I just moved to a part of paris with the hardest water in all of europe, and guess what? I used to have perfect skin, and now i have rosacea-y flare ups, sandpapery rashes on my cheeks, majorly enlarged pores, more spider veins, and blackheads too. I have not introduced anything very new into my routine, but I've had to make some minor adjustments to soothe my new 'needs.'

my skin, like yours, is going through an adjustment period, and like another poster named "la vie en rose" wisely informed me, you just have to weather it out and choose the right products.

I've helped the problem somewhat by using avene mist to wash my cleanser off my face at night with a cotton pad.

personally, i would stay away from microdermabrasion for the moment. you should read the posts on Ph by an EDS user named "Tangal"--not only are they cogent and concise, but they are very informative. You might want to get a BHA toner, a presciption retinoid, a vitamin c serum, and a nice, simple, gentle moisturizer that complements your skin's needs. Mine gets dry so right now I am alternating between osea's advanced protection cream and weleda's rose capsules, which are literally a blend of oils.

lastly, unless you have majorly abused your skin, your lines are probably dehydration lines. I would try upping your water intake, drinking 2-3 liters per day up until 2 hrs before bedtime.

also, don't forget to invest in a great sunscreen!

you can also get a "peel" type mask that removes dead skin cells and thus enhances the effectiveness of your products, for use on a weekly basis--I like Juice Beauty's green apple peel.

--the retinoid will encourage faster turn over of new skin cells, mild exfoliation on a daily basis--restorative.
--the c, in conjunction with the sunscreen, will protect your skin from the sun and from free radicals--preventative.
--the moisturizer and water intake will plump up your skin and diminish the appearance of fine lines, and nourish and protect your skin--protective.

--added benefit of vitamin c--it makes your skin glow!

other suggestions, i am sure, will come along soon!

and welcome!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:37 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Sandy!

I am sure that you will get lots of answers, but I would highly suggest that you start out very simply.

I would personally suggest that you consider picking up a cleanser, serum and moisture lotion with sunscreen to start.

I use Ice Elements products, which can be found at http://iceelements.com - they have a message board where you can ask either Brenda or Shelly for their suggestion. Either can help you figure out your skin type if you are unsure which type that you are... They will even take your personal phone call (ask for Shelly or Brenda) if you feel more comfortable on the phone.

You absolutely need to use a sunscreen. You probably will not want to use a heavy sunscreen at night but when you are out you do need some sort of protection or what you are doing to help your skin will be for not. So if you tend towards the dry side and are out and about during the day you may want to purchase a simple moisture lotion and then one with a heavy sunblock. If you are just in and out during the day and do not spend a lot of time outside you could get away with a light sunscreen.

A nice, non-detergent, gentle cleanser is best, IMO.

The anti-aging serum that they have on Ice Elements is lovely! Even if you decide to go with a different cleanser and lotion I would suggest that you try the AA serum. It will help with both dry skin and break outs... etc, etc.

Once you start with a few key items and feel comfortable with them you can decide if you would like to keep it that simple or if you feel like you would like to add more items to target specific areas of your skin.

Keep in mind that starting off too aggressive could do more harm than good... and if there were to be a problem you would be hard pressed to figure out which product was giving you trouble.

Please let me know if I can help further.

Take care.
Bosoxy.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:46 pm      Reply with quote
don't see any pics either.
I'm sorta new...the way i end up here had nothing to do with skincare.
I was searching ESD on google, for ESD protection (anti-static) for my engineering lab. and somehow google showed up the EDS site.

I'm glad i got here, and i'm sure you'll find lots of useful info.

5% products discount

Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
avalange wrote:
Sandy,

I totally and utterly feel your pain. I just moved to a part of paris with the hardest water in all of europe, and guess what? I used to have perfect skin, and now i have rosacea-y flare ups, sandpapery rashes on my cheeks, majorly enlarged pores, more spider veins, and blackheads too. I have not introduced anything very new into my routine, but I've had to make some minor adjustments to soothe my new 'needs.'

my skin, like yours, is going through an adjustment period, and like another poster named "la vie en rose" wisely informed me, you just have to weather it out and choose the right products.

I've helped the problem somewhat by using avene mist to wash my cleanser off my face at night with a cotton pad.

personally, i would stay away from microdermabrasion for the moment. you should read the posts on Ph by an EDS user named "Tangal"--not only are they cogent and concise, but they are very informative. You might want to get a BHA toner, a presciption retinoid, a vitamin c serum, and a nice, simple, gentle moisturizer that complements your skin's needs. Mine gets dry so right now I am alternating between osea's advanced protection cream and weleda's rose capsules, which are literally a blend of oils.

lastly, unless you have majorly abused your skin, your lines are probably dehydration lines. I would try upping your water intake, drinking 2-3 liters per day up until 2 hrs before bedtime.

also, don't forget to invest in a great sunscreen!

you can also get a "peel" type mask that removes dead skin cells and thus enhances the effectiveness of your products, for use on a weekly basis--I like Juice Beauty's green apple peel.

--the retinoid will encourage faster turn over of new skin cells, mild exfoliation on a daily basis--restorative.
--the c, in conjunction with the sunscreen, will protect your skin from the sun and from free radicals--preventative.
--the moisturizer and water intake will plump up your skin and diminish the appearance of fine lines, and nourish and protect your skin--protective.

--added benefit of vitamin c--it makes your skin glow!

other suggestions, i am sure, will come along soon!

and welcome!

--avalange

Avalange,
Thanks so much for all of that info. Dehydration lines are also something I'd never heard of before coming here. That's a very real possibility since I NEVER drink water. I use to before we moved here but the water here is simply HORRID. I keep meaning to call around to the whole two water delivery places in the area to check their rates but I always forget. I refuse to drink the tap water here though. It really is awful. I've lived many places along the east coast and I've never experienced anything like the water they have here. It has a lot of sulphur in it and it regularly smells like sewage. They've promised me that it's normal every time I call about it. Yuck. I imagine that can't be doing my skin any favors either since I have to shower in it. Do you suppose I should wash my face in spring water? Would that hurt? I just made myself a note to call the water places here in the morning and I did buy a few gallons at the grocery store earlier. I'll take your advice and avoid the micro right now. When you said to read tangals posts on Ph...what is Ph? Lastly, can you recommend a good BHA toner and sunscreen? Thanks so much for all your help!

Sandy
SandyC123
5% products discount

Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:18 pm      Reply with quote
Bosoxy wrote:
Hi Sandy!

I am sure that you will get lots of answers, but I would highly suggest that you start out very simply.

I would personally suggest that you consider picking up a cleanser, serum and moisture lotion with sunscreen to start.

I use Ice Elements products, which can be found at - they have a message board where you can ask either Brenda or Shelly for their suggestion. Either can help you figure out your skin type if you are unsure which type that you are... They will even take your personal phone call (ask for Shelly or Brenda) if you feel more comfortable on the phone.

You absolutely need to use a sunscreen. You probably will not want to use a heavy sunscreen at night but when you are out you do need some sort of protection or what you are doing to help your skin will be for not. So if you tend towards the dry side and are out and about during the day you may want to purchase a simple moisture lotion and then one with a heavy sunblock. If you are just in and out during the day and do not spend a lot of time outside you could get away with a light sunscreen.

A nice, non-detergent, gentle cleanser is best, IMO.

The anti-aging serum that they have on Ice Elements is lovely! Even if you decide to go with a different cleanser and lotion I would suggest that you try the AA serum. It will help with both dry skin and break outs... etc, etc.

Once you start with a few key items and feel comfortable with them you can decide if you would like to keep it that simple or if you feel like you would like to add more items to target specific areas of your skin.

Keep in mind that starting off too aggressive could do more harm than good... and if there were to be a problem you would be hard pressed to figure out which product was giving you trouble.

Please let me know if I can help further.

Take care.
Bosoxy.

Thanks, Bosoxy! I'm definitely trying to keep it as simple as possible to start off. On other threads I see people posting their daily routines and I'm just completely lost. Meanwhile, here I am doing absolutely nothing at all that's good for my skin! I have to say, since finding this board, I have become quite obsessed with skincare and there are so many different things that I find intriguing and want to try but, being as new as I am to all of this, I'm sticking with K.I.S.S. method for now, lol.

Sandy
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:39 pm      Reply with quote
I would keep it simple to start with too. Find yourself a good cleanser,toner(optional) and moisturiser and sunscreen.Maybe a gentle scrub as well to get rid of dead skin.

As Bosoxy said IceElements are a good brand.I like their AA serum too.They have try me start up kits available. I also really like Dermalogica. Their oil cleanser is lovely and so is their moisturisers.Their toner is nice too.

I wouldnt add too many really active,anti ageing products at once. By this i mean retinol,vitamin c and chemical exfoliants.Maybe introduce 1 after you have your basic routine down pat.

One i recommend for your pores is IS Clinical Active Serum. It has really helped with blackheads for me. I just use it 2/3 times a week as its strong stuff.

It might pay to try get samples too if you can or it will cost you a fortune finding the right products.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:12 am      Reply with quote
Hi Sandy,

First a big welcome to the forums.

Below is a good, simple routine incorporating what you already purchased (microderm cream and camellia oil). It will help get your basic problems under control and then you can move on to more specific treatments that still are not fixed. When you are starting out, it is best not to get caught up buying to many fancy fix-me-ups. Get to know your skin and how it responds to some basic care and then make a decision on what you still need.

AM:
gentle Cleanse
Mist
Vit. C serum
HA Serum
Moisturizer
eye cream

PM:
balm/oil cleanse with muslin cloth
2-3 times/week microderm treatment
2-3 times/week hydration mask or clarifying mask
Mist
camellia oil mixed with HA serum
eye cream

Cleanser:
One of the BEST evening cleansers I have ever used to get rid of blackheads is Eve Lom (balm-type cleanser). It is pretty expensive, but really did a fabulous job and cleaning and softening the skin (the cleaning cloths were also crucial)

For the morning you need to keep things gentle so as not to strip the skin. (unless your skin gets really dirty from when you wash at night and the morning... Laughing )

If you go with the homemade OCM, do remember to get yourself some thin muslin cloths to use to remove the cleansing oil, as they are great to also help get rid of blackheads. Personally I would use OCM just once a day, probably evening.

Toning:
You don't have to get a toner, but even a nice mist would do. What you get really depends on how much you want to spend.. for around $15 on EDS you can try the Juice Beauty one.. arond $25 the John Masters ones.. or $35 for Sundari. Just look for one that is matching your skin type and condition.
Not only will a mist help you spread on your moisturizer, it woudl also be great to use throughout the day to keep hydrated.

Exfoliating:
since you have the microderm cream, you dont need to add anything to this, not even a peel.
Make sure to use your camellia oil after the microdermabrasion. You can mix it with some HA (Hyaluronic acid) for easy application and better hydrating power.

Hydration:
If hydration is a problem, then try the PSF Hydrating mask (honey based) as this is awesome for dehydrated skin. You will notice an instant improvement.

I would also recommend some HA serum morning and night to help with hydration. You can get a good, inexpensive one here on EDS from the PSF brand.

Moisturizing:
well, you are set with your Camellia oil (and preferably HA serum) for night. For day, it depends on your budget and preferences (light milk, hydrating gel, thick cream, etc.)

Eyes:
Ah, we are all in search of the elusive perfect eye potion. find youself a nice de-puffing gel and a hydrating cream. You can use both during the day and just one at night (there are conflicting arguments over whether you should use creams at night). Again, have a search of threads and you will find a stack of recommendations.

Blackhead & pore problem:
I have not tried them, but the brand Joey New York does a couple of products specifically targeting blackhead removal and pore minimizing.
There are also plenty of purifying masks sold here on EDS - you might like to look at some of the Eminence masks that have just been added to the store.

Other:
brighten your complexion with vitamin C. I would consider this an esential start to the day.

Also a good sunscreen is a given. You will find lots of threads on what is good and what is not... all depends on how much you want to spend.

You probably will find your shopping a lot easier if you just try to stick with one or two brands to start with...

I would also recommend sending an email to the lades of EDS and tell them your specific skin issues and also your budget and they will recommend some items to you. They are great like that.

Good luck!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:26 am      Reply with quote
Wow, Tiger did an excellent job !!! Clear & straight - superb.
Sandy, you got the directions of use (it took me approx. 5-6 months to figure out everything by myself)
Unfortunately my system doesn't allow emoticons, otherwise i would use now the little clapping ones.
lin
marla
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:54 am      Reply with quote
Wow is right! I'm thinking that Tiger's post should be a sticky/primer for basic skincare!!!

Marla

5% products discount

Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:11 am      Reply with quote
Tiger! Thank you SO much! You gave me such great information! There really is SO much different information on so many different products/problems on here that it can be a little intimidating for such a skincare newbie like me. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE reading all of it but I tend to come away from the boards looking a little like this: Shock You gave me a great place to start. I'm definitely getting a good sunblock, the HA serum and I'd like to get the psf hydrating mask but I can't find it anywhere? Oh! And I'm also going to get Vitamin C serum. I just need to look for a good one for me. OH! And the mist. Holy crap. My head. LOL! Anyway...thanks so much everyone! I really appreciate everyones input. Hopefully, one day, I'll be able to actually contribute something equally as helpful to someone else here. Smile

Sandy
Safire
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:14 am      Reply with quote
Wow great product advice tiger_tim! Wink
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:23 am      Reply with quote
SandyC123 wrote:
Tiger! Thank you SO much! You gave me such great information! There really is SO much different information on so many different products/problems on here that it can be a little intimidating for such a skincare newbie like me. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE reading all of it but I tend to come away from the boards looking a little like this: Shock You gave me a great place to start. I'm definitely getting a good sunblock, the HA serum and I'd like to get the psf hydrating mask but I can't find it anywhere? Oh! And I'm also going to get Vitamin C serum. I just need to look for a good one for me. OH! And the mist. Holy crap. My head. LOL! Anyway...thanks so much everyone! I really appreciate everyones input. Hopefully, one day, I'll be able to actually contribute something equally as helpful to someone else here. Smile

Sandy

Laughing Sandy, don't worry, we all felt like that at the beginning.

Re the PSF hydrating mask.. Embarassed I got the name wrong. Organic Moisture Mask is the right name. You can pick it up here on EDS, along with the PSF HA Serum (they have an R&R toner that people rave about too)

Tip: Make sure you create an account with the EDS shop when you make your purchase (and be sure to sign up with the same email address you use here on the boards) because then you will get your 5% member discount. ALSO, you can ask them for some samples of various vitamin C serums (and moisturizers and eye creams).

Happy shopping!

PS this is the link to the maskwww.essentialdayspa.com/psf-organic-moisture-masq-p_4957.htm

Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:44 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |