Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Pro-Derm Stem Youth Serum (50 ml) DS Laboratories Trioxil.PM Anti-Acne Gel (30 ml) NuFace Gel Primer (5 fl oz / 148 ml)
Is Kerastase going to turn in to another Pantene Pro-V?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
I am so paranoid now about SLS and cones in my shampoo ever since I read on the Pantene Pro-V thread and found that my hair had been damaged by long-term usage of Pantene Pro-V.

I bought Kerastase Dermo-Calm shampoo and conditioner before I discovered this thread and the evils of using SLS and cones-filled shampoo and conditioner.

Well, guess what? Kerastase, despite being one of the most expensive haircare products you could buy, got both evil things in it. In the shampoo, SLS is the 2nd ingredient listed.

In the Conditioner, amnodimethicone is maybe the 4th ingredient (I don't have the bottle with me at work so going strictly by memory).

So should I use it up since I already spent almost $60 on the pair? Or is it garbage?

Any long-term Kerastase users out there? Is your hair still ok?

Thank you.
Cherisse
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:09 pm      Reply with quote
What I meant is why is Pantene Pro-V bad due to SLS and cones, but Kerastase which has the same things in it is selling like hot cakes and for so much more? Isn't it just another Pantene Pro-V? What is differentiating the two?
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
Just because it has those ingredients in it doesn't mean it's bad. It's just that some people prefer to avoid them. I would say if you see results, use it.

I use Biolage products which have some silicones in them but if you tried to take them away from me, I'd tackle you. Laughing I love my ultra hydrating balm!
edenfield
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:12 pm      Reply with quote
Some people become a bit too zealous when they say a product is bad Rolling Eyes

Some people are allergic to salicylics, etc, as some people are allergic to gluten - which doesn't mean that wheat is bad.
samantha185
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:19 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, I've used Kerastase for a while before. My scalp was sensitive and itchy so I bought the huge salon sized bottle of Dermo-calm for normal-combi hair. I finished the whole bottle over like 6 months i think. It was good for my scalp and it didn't irritate it at all but it was a tad drying for my hair ends as it was for normal-combi hair.

However after using finished the Dermo-calm bottle, I decided to try another Kerastase shampoo, this time from the Specific range, Bain Divalent and it was a disaster. My scalp starting itching worse than ever and little bumps appeared Mad As a result the huge salon sized bottle of Bain Divalent is still sitting in my bathroom shelve Sad

I have no idea why did Dermo-calm worked and Bain Divalent didn't but since my scalp is sensitive and Dermo-calm didn't aggravate it, i think it should fine for you? I guess just give it a try and if after a few uses, you feel your scalp itching or little bumps appearing then you better stop pronto!

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:55 pm      Reply with quote
bkkgirl wrote:
What I meant is why is Pantene Pro-V bad due to SLS and cones, but Kerastase which has the same things in it is selling like hot cakes and for so much more? Isn't it just another Pantene Pro-V? What is differentiating the two?

Nothing makes Keratase bad. Just like nothing makes Pantene bad. If you read through the entire Pantene thread, there were plenty of posts with the info on why that whole rumor is hogwash.

Things like SLS and cones are pretty much in just about every shampoo, except for the few formulated specifically without. Some people prefer a more natural product. Some people worry about their dyed color fading quickly. Some people find that certain ingredients cause more buildup in their hair, weighing it down. But lots of people find those chemical additions to be just what their hair needs to look and feel shiny, bouncy and gorgeous.

I would never spread a heavy moisturizer across my face, because it would make me break out. But for someone with dry skin, it's a necessity. Hair is the exact same way. There is nothing that makes SLS and cones terrible except for how they work for you.

If you find Keratese works for you, then use it. And if Pantene was working for you, you have no reason to quit using that either.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:51 pm      Reply with quote
If Keratese is like Pantene Pro V.. Then I will say NO to it, too! Rolling Eyes
Alisuchi
5% products discount

Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:23 am      Reply with quote
I, for one, simply LOVE my kerastase. I have used the "curl" line for over 2 years now, and it is the best shampoo/cond. I have found for my fine, dry, curly hair. It is moisturizing without weighing down my curls. I do not find that it breaks me out, nor does it cause build up in my hair. But that's just me Smile
jadkin
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:49 pm      Reply with quote
I have long, blonde, fine hair.. but LOTS of it. I need to be careful with my shampoos, etc., so that they don't weigh my fine (albeit thick) hair down. In December 2010, I started using the Kerastase Chroma Riche line and am still using it (same bottle). I don't wash my hair every day; maybe 3-4 times per week (7 days). My hair is healthy and shiny looking and I've never felt the build-up that is common in silicone-heavy products.

It is true that too many cones will weigh down your hair, but it is difficult to find a conditioner without silicone that will fight frizz well.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:39 pm      Reply with quote
If you really want to avoid silicones, try a brand called Giovanni. Many shampoos and beauty products contain silicones because it acts as a suspension to keep the ingredients dispersed properly, so it's kind of hard to avoid unless you're going for natural products
System
Automatic Message
Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:42 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

DS Laboratories Trioxil.PM Anti-Acne Gel (30 ml) Amazing Cosmetics Line Smoother + Primer (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Glotion for Body (150 ml / 5 floz)