Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Alima Makeup (renamed from "Manslayerliz...")
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:41 pm      Reply with quote
I cannot be happier that you turned me on to Alima mineral makeup. For the first time in my life I was stopped by a stranger and she asked me what I was using for makeup. She said that it looked so great and natural. She then proceeds to say that whatever I was using on my 20 something year old face would probably not work on her 39 year old face. So imagine her glee when I told her that I am nearly 36. She insisted that I write down the makeup on a piece of paper. I told her that it was not available here in Sweden but that she could order it online and that yes they will ship it internationally. She was so happy and I told her about how she can order samples for $1 each and try out the colours to find out which colours worked for her. She had never heard of mineral makeup before and I told her to look it up on Google and learn more about it. She was really excited. Her skin was in very good shape she just seemed to be using too much liquid foundation so it made her look older than she actually was. She is a perfect mineral makeup candidate.

So thank you Manslayerliz for the tip on Alima. My face (and ego) THANK YOU! Very Happy
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:55 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Anna! (You naughty girl, you know I can't resist clicking on a thread that has my name in the title... Cool ) First of all, let me just say HOORAY for Alima!!!! I'm so thrilled you have gotten such good results with it. The first time I tried Alima I couldn't believe the gorgeous, airbrushed look I got with it, and I also couldn't believe how easy it was to use... just dust it on and go. However, I really have to give credit where credit is due: when I was first looking into MMU it was Olyn and Dollbird who steered me toward Alima, so I owe them both a big THANK YOU! Like you, I've had total strangers come up to me and ask what kind of make up I use, or better yet, ask if I'm even wearing make up. Shock BTW, if you like Alima's MMU, just WAIT until you apply it with one of their magical #25 powder brushes--- it makes putting on makeup feel like some sort of spa treatment.^-^

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, I am looking forward to the foundation brush. Currently my bruses are as from Everyday Minerals, Bare Escentuals (leave individual hairs on my face) as well as some that I bought a few years that are quite nice from the company, Philosophy.

I want to try the foundation brush by Alima however it has been sold out for some time.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:31 pm      Reply with quote
Anna_in_Sweden wrote:
Yes, I am looking forward to the foundation brush. Currently my bruses are as from Everyday Minerals, Bare Escentuals (leave individual hairs on my face) as well as some that I bought a few years that are quite nice from the company, Philosophy.

I want to try the foundation brush by Alima however it has been sold out for some time.

You're in luck--- not only did they just get some back in stock, but now through Feb 19 the EDS code (EDS10) has been activated again, so you can get 10% off.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:00 pm      Reply with quote
What great news. I am off to order them now. Smile
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
Hi Anna! (You naughty girl, you know I can't resist clicking on a thread that has my name in the title... Cool )

Laughing well, it would have been rude not to Laughing
Olyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:05 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
However, I really have to give credit where credit is due: when I was first looking into MMU it was Olyn and Dollbird who steered me toward Alima, so I owe them both a big THANK YOU!

Aww, thanks . I mean, you're welcome. Laughing
I feel like I'm part of a makeup revolution!
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:32 pm      Reply with quote
You're welcome dear Liz and thanks to Olyn for starting that great review thread. Alima fans unite and join superpowers!! Anxious
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:55 pm      Reply with quote
I just ordered some samples to try. I've been dying to try Alima, but I told myself I had to wait until my other foundation was gone. I can't wait to try it!!
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:31 am      Reply with quote
Which MMU at alima do you use? They have several, do you use the satin matte or mineral finishing powder?
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:53 am      Reply with quote
I really don't need anymore makeup BUT do you have to have good skin in the first place to be able to look flawless with this makeup? I find that if you don't have great skin, then MMU can be difficult to cover blemishes.

TIA
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:29 am      Reply with quote
Is W4 a good color if you are part asian and light to medium skin color? I dont want to order a bunch of samples.....
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:43 am      Reply with quote
I currently wear PL Suntan, can anyone make match recommendations for Alima??
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:51 am      Reply with quote
Anna_in_Sweden wrote:
She was so happy and I told her about how she can order samples for $1 each and try out the colours to find out which colours worked for her.

I just checked the Alima site and the samples are $2.75 each, how do you get them for $1.00??
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:38 am      Reply with quote
Wow, so many questions! Let's see which ones I can answer... I'll let some of the other Alima fans tackle the color questions as I only know about the colors on the pale end of the scale. However, to answer some other questions, it's the Satin Matte foundation that I'm wearing, and as far as I know, samples for foundation are always $2.75, and samples for other stuff are $1. (Except right now some samples are on sale for $.75.) The foundation samples are a little expensive, but the good news is that if you get a good match the samples will last you a couple weeks or so (and you can pass along the near-misses to family members^-^).

Sarahb, you asked if one needs great skin to look flawless in this make up. In my opinion, you don't at all. I actually started using Alima in the first place because my skin was SO dreadful (basically just a mask of redness and breakouts) that I couldn't get the coverage I needed with regular make up. At first I used to still wear my regular makeup, and then just dab the Alima over areas where I needed more coverage (Tip: if you need SERIOUS coverage, use a flocked sponge), but eventually I just switched over to using nothing but Alima. It was great--- not only did my breakouts heal up MUCH more quickly, but I noticed that the Alima covers better than even my old cream concealer. Alima also has a new heavy coverage concealer out, so you might want to try that. I just got a sample and it's really nice stuff. HTH!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
lucyluc wrote:
Is W4 a good color if you are part asian and light to medium skin color? I dont want to order a bunch of samples.....

I'm Asian with yellow-toned medium coloring bordering on light from winter and I'm a W3 in winter and W4 with a tan in summer. Your best bet would be ordering samples from the W3/4 and G2/3 range. The goldens run a little darker and yellower than the warms. HTH!
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:54 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, the foundation samples are $2.75 a piece and other samples (eyeshadows, eyeliners, blush, bronzers) are $1 with some on sale now for .75 cents each. The reason that I thought of $1 instead of $2.75 is because this woman was interested in my blush and also wanted a variety of eyeshadows both of which were $1 each for the sample sizes. Sorry I forgot that the foundation samples cost more.

By the way, what is a flocked sponge?
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:36 pm      Reply with quote
Anna_in_Sweden wrote:
Yes, the foundation samples are $2.75 a piece and other samples (eyeshadows, eyeliners, blush, bronzers) are $1 with some on sale now for .75 cents each. The reason that I thought of $1 instead of $2.75 is because this woman was interested in my blush and also wanted a variety of eyeshadows both of which were $1 each for the sample sizes. Sorry I forgot that the foundation samples cost more.

Hi Anna! A flocked sponge is a makeup sponge that's kind of fuzzy. It's great for applying MMU to areas where you need more coverage, and it's also good for smoothing out your MMU if you accidentally apply too much. Here's the link to Alima's flocked sponge:
http://www.alimacosmetics.com/roi/661/Mineral-Cosmetics-Tools/Accessories/

If you don't mind my asking, what was the blush that you were wearing when you were stopped by the stranger? I want to know what I should be adding to my sample list, lol!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:07 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

It was Apple Blossom a new blush that they came out with. I received it as a sample when I purchased some of their products. It looks good if applied with a light hand.

Your wrote at the bottom of your description that you are quite possibly the palest woman alive. I think that perhaps I have you beat. In Alima I use either C-0/C-1 or N-0/N-1 depending on certain areas of my face. I am very pale. Laughing

Thanks for explaining a flocked sponge, I might need to get that next time that I order from them. Smile
thatgirlangie
5% products discount

Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:42 pm      Reply with quote
I ordered a bunch of foundation samples from Alima a few months ago and mixed some of them to come up with my perfect shade.

I called Alima, and they were more than happy to mix it for me in a full-size, and even printed off a custom label. All this at no extra charge.

My current shade is equal parts of W-0, W-1, N-0, and N-1... I am also very pale, but not pasty pale (the 0's were too pasty by themselves).
vava_gurl
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:04 pm      Reply with quote
I want this stuff! Do they ship to Australia and do you only purchase it from the Alima site? Thanks.
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, I believe that they ship to Australia. They shipped here to Sweden so I would think that Australia is one of the countries/continents that they ship to as well.

I received my package about 7 working days after ordering it, complete with a sample of a lovely blush that they were coming out with. The samples are cheap (last about a week if you use them everyday) and also I think that there is a discount code on this message board that someone mentioned where you will get 10% off. Smile
vava_gurl
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:53 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Anna. Very Happy I will take a look at their site.
Ruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:30 pm      Reply with quote
*sighs happily* just started trying out my samples from UGloGirl and am EXTREMLY pleased with the finish and glow of the foundation Otherwise, from the worl of MMU, I've used True but never actually spritzed my face after Rolling Eyes I'm a sloooow learner, what can I say...

I'm SO off to sample shop at Alima's now Laughing Can't help myself...going to become a MMU addict too! and Im loveing it already Laughing Can't wait to indulge an hour or two in Alima shopping

Thanx Anna for giving this thread such a great and eyecatching title Wink

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:42 pm      Reply with quote
Anna_in_Sweden wrote:

Anna- I've been using a JI flocked sponge for more than a year now and really like how it blends my MMU. I think you would really like it.... definitely give it a try.

Glad to hear you like your Alima so much and that you were complemented on it. Don't ya just love that? Wink

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:40 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |