Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Alima Makeup (renamed from "Manslayerliz...")
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:47 am      Reply with quote
Liz,

Have you tried the new Alima lip balms? If so which of the coloured ones did you like? I ask because I saw your picture on one of these threads and we are both very pale and I have similar green eyes as you.

I thought about the "Hellebore" shade since they say that it's soft pink but in the photo it looks very dark. Hopefully either you or someone who has tried their balms can answer this. I prefer a shade that looks good on very pale skin, I don't want it to look dark in colour. In their foundation I am C0/C1 and N0/N1 depending on certain areas of my face.
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:48 am      Reply with quote
what I really like about this co is its so easy to pay with pay pal and their delivery is at lightning speed like no other! When I first order Bare Minerals it took several weeks to get here,why is it when you order off an informercial they say it can take 6 weeks to get there and if you want it sooner you have to pay extra?I love our discount,it covers the shipping cost pretty much....
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:50 am      Reply with quote
Anna_in_Sweden wrote:
Liz,

Have you tried the new Alima lip balms? If so which of the coloured ones did you like? I ask because I saw your picture on one of these threads and we are both very pale and I have similar green eyes as you.

I thought about the "Hellebore" shade since they say that it's soft pink but in the photo it looks very dark. Hopefully either you or someone who has tried their balms can answer this. I prefer a shade that looks good on very pale skin, I don't want it to look dark in colour. In their foundation I am C0/C1 and N0/N1 depending on certain areas of my face.

Anna,

We are about the same coloring, I have tried Chai, Sugar Rose and Guava. All beautiful on, Im thinking almost all their colors are very wearable for everyone.

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:55 am      Reply with quote
Hi Anna! Like VS, I also tried Chai and Sugar Rose and they were both quite beautiful--- very natural and flattering. Also, their colors tend to be darker in the picture than IRL, so I think Hellebore would also be a safe bet for you. Let us know what colors you decide to try!^-^

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:55 am      Reply with quote
I love Guava lip balm for everyday wear. It's a beautiful light coral-brown color. I wear Garnet when I'm all dressed up for a nice dinner or a night out. However, I don't think Alima lip balms are very moisturizing and their colors aren't anything like lip glosses. They just give very nice sheer colors which I love.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:43 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for the fast responses! Has anyone tried one of the lip balm (or did you buy the full size to begin with?) samples and if so how long does it last?
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:51 am      Reply with quote
I got my samples Wenesday. That was pretty fast! I wasn't able to try them yesterday because I didn't have time to experiment with the colors, si I'm going to try them today.

The samples are pretty generous. They also included free samples of the finishing powder (which I forgot to order) and two of the blushes.
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:21 am      Reply with quote
I just got my samples yesterday. I am going to try some on today...even though I am not going anywhere Razz

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:25 am      Reply with quote
Anna_in_Sweden wrote:
Thank you for the fast responses! Has anyone tried one of the lip balm (or did you buy the full size to begin with?) samples and if so how long does it last?

The samples could easily last a month.

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
Sundew
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:26 am      Reply with quote
I just placed an order for a full size foundation, full size blush in Candy , a sample of the Chai lip gloss, and a full size concealer. I'm wondering, since it is winter, how well this will do in very hot humid weather come summer. I hope it stays just as lovely!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
My inital impression is that this is really nice makeup. It covers and evens well, but it doesn't look cakey or thick. I think I'm going to be somewhere in between W-2 and W-3, but I'm still experimenting with the colors. I got some samples of concealers too, but I'm not sure I got them on right. They seem a little pale, but maybe it's my application techniques. I wish I'd gotten one more shade.
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:47 pm      Reply with quote
Tosca wrote:
I wish I'd gotten one more shade.

Arrgh! I hate that! I always spend more in shipping to get the right shade than the monetary value of the flippin' product!

Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:52 pm      Reply with quote
vonstella wrote:
Tosca wrote:

Arrgh! I hate that! I always spend more in shipping to get the right shade than the monetary value of the flippin' product!

Yeah, me too! I hate to pay shipping on something that only costs $1. I guess I could wait until I place my foundation order, though. It's a really generous sample, so it'll probably last a long time.
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:55 pm      Reply with quote
Tosca wrote:
I got some samples of concealers too, but I'm not sure I got them on right. They seem a little pale, but maybe it's my application techniques.

I'm having similar issues. I orderd samples of the concealers in Beige and Sand and they both seem too pale. The Sand was a better match and works alright on concealing blemishes and red marks (I have to be careful and blend it well otherwise I can see white splotches where it's applied...not good to draw attention to places I'm trying to cover up) but when I used it around my eyes it just seemed way too pale and didn't cover my dark circles as much as I would have liked.

Also, it's looking like maybe the best match is N-2. I am still playing around with shades though and I wish I would have gotten a N-3 (I think I would add a little bit to the N-2). I found that brushing a little bit of the blush (shoot- I can't remember the shade... Guava or Tea Rose?) all over my face to help it not look so pastey. I bet bronzer will really help but I need samples of that too. (MermaidGirl suggested using a little bit of bronzer mixed into a seperate "batch" of foundation). As soon as I get bronzer I will give it a whirl.

Tosca wrote:

Darn it, me too! Rolling Eyes

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
Sundew
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:09 am      Reply with quote
amnis wrote:
Tosca wrote:
I got some samples of concealers too, but I'm not sure I got them on right. They seem a little pale, but maybe it's my application techniques.

I'm having similar issues. I orderd samples of the concealers in Beige and Sand and they both seem too pale. The Sand was a better match and works alright on concealing blemishes and red marks (I have to be careful and blend it well otherwise I can see white splotches where it's applied...not good to draw attention to places I'm trying to cover up) but when I used it around my eyes it just seemed way too pale and didn't cover my dark circles as much as I would have liked.

eeps...I was having such a hard time deciding today whether to buy a sample of the concealer or the whole thing. I ended up opting for the full size because I definitely need the extra help...hrrm hope it turns out ok. Also, hope you ladies find your right color! Internet shopping can be so frustrating sometimes Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:24 am      Reply with quote
Sundew wrote:
amnis wrote:
Tosca wrote:

eeps...I was having such a hard time deciding today whether to buy a sample of the concealer or the whole thing. I ended up opting for the full size because I definitely need the extra help...hrrm hope it turns out ok. Also, hope you ladies find your right color! Internet shopping can be so frustrating sometimes Smile

Yeah, amnis. I got samples of the sand and satin. The sand is really pale, but the satin is even paler. I should've gotten the sand and a darker shade instead.

They aren't covering my eye circles either. That's why I was questioning my application techniques. I'm thinking that since they were so pale, I couldn't apply enough to find out whether or not they covered well or not for me. It looked silly after I put it on, so I wiped most of it off.

I hope your full-sized turns out to be the right color, Sundew! Maybe you could get in touch with them and change your order to samples if you're wondering about the colors. From what I've heard their customer service is great, so they'd probably be willing to do that.
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:23 pm      Reply with quote
I use the Anastasia eye brightener pencil in Camille for my eye circles under my MMU. I got it from Sephora for about $20.00
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
Today I was really excited about trying on my new Alima samples. All the colours are so beautiful. I couldn't wait to try them all. I ordered Shimmer Eyeliner in Illusion based on another forum member's recommendation. Its in loose powder form, which is a new for me. I always used pen shape eyeliners or pressed powder form.

According to Alima's little booklet, their Eyeliner is "deep, rich, intensely pigmented shimmering mineral eyeliners to brighten and emphasize eyes. Use dry for subtle definition or wet for more intense colour".

I decided to go for the more "subtle" look (its daytime) so I applied Illusion dry with an angled eyeliner brush. The colour was beautiful and I was happy with the way it looked on my eyes. However, that only lasted about 30 minutes then they started falling into my eyes. It was irritating my eyes so badly that I couldn't stop blinking and watering my eyes. It felt like sunscreen/block got into my eyes. The ingredient list for Alima's Eyeliners is mica, titanium dioxide and iron oxides! No wonder!

The tears kinda made everything smudge even worse. I was looking like a racoon not even half way through my lunch Sad My eyes are so irritated that I couldn't help rubbing the edges of my eyes a bit. After a while, the skin around the edges of my eyes are red and hurting Mad

The first thing I did as soon as I got home was to take off all the eye makeup with my makeup remover. The skin around the edges are red and burning still Mad

I had to do some emergency mask to calm my skin...sigh...I don't think loose powder eyeliner is for me. I think I am too scared to try it again (using it wet might help it stay better?) Rolling Eyes

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:23 pm      Reply with quote
Yikes sorry wildcat, that's terrible. I have not tried their eyeliner. I only use their foundation which I love. When I first tried Alima, I seriously ordered about 15 different sample colors to try to find one that worked. And I did! It was worth it to be able to find the right color, I love this make up so much that I look forward to wearing it in the morning, and have a hard time looking in the mirror unless I am wearing it!
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:20 am      Reply with quote
Wild Cat wrote:
Today I was really excited about trying on my new Alima samples. All the colours are so beautiful. I couldn't wait to try them all. I ordered Shimmer Eyeliner in Illusion based on another forum member's recommendation. Its in loose powder form, which is a new for me. I always used pen shape eyeliners or pressed powder form.

According to Alima's little booklet, their Eyeliner is "deep, rich, intensely pigmented shimmering mineral eyeliners to brighten and emphasize eyes. Use dry for subtle definition or wet for more intense colour".

I decided to go for the more "subtle" look (its daytime) so I applied Illusion dry with an angled eyeliner brush. The colour was beautiful and I was happy with the way it looked on my eyes. However, that only lasted about 30 minutes then they started falling into my eyes. It was irritating my eyes so badly that I couldn't stop blinking and watering my eyes. It felt like sunscreen/block got into my eyes. The ingredient list for Alima's Eyeliners is mica, titanium dioxide and iron oxides! No wonder!

The tears kinda made everything smudge even worse. I was looking like a racoon not even half way through my lunch Sad My eyes are so irritated that I couldn't help rubbing the edges of my eyes a bit. After a while, the skin around the edges of my eyes are red and hurting Mad

The first thing I did as soon as I got home was to take off all the eye makeup with my makeup remover. The skin around the edges are red and burning still Mad

I had to do some emergency mask to calm my skin...sigh...I don't think loose powder eyeliner is for me. I think I am too scared to try it again (using it wet might help it stay better?) Rolling Eyes

I had similar problems with their eyeliners as well! Although they didn't irritate my eyes or skin around my eyes badly, they didn't stay on wet or dry. I couldn't get the color even when I applied it wet. When I applied it dry it dropped into my eyes too. I've decided Alima eyeliners aren't for me. I haven't been able to bring myself to throw them away though Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:29 am      Reply with quote
lynn2525 wrote:
Wild Cat wrote:

I had similar problems with their eyeliners as well! Although they didn't irritate my eyes or skin around my eyes badly, they didn't stay on wet or dry. I couldn't get the color even when I applied it wet. When I applied it dry it dropped into my eyes too. I've decided Alima eyeliners aren't for me. I haven't been able to bring myself to throw them away though Sad

For eyeliner, I don't think loose powder is for me either. Mad
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:13 pm      Reply with quote
A friend reminded me that maybe I should have spritz something to set the eyeliner. Sounds like a valid point but I guess I will need to spray before I put on mascara...somehow preventing my eyelashes from getting wet (can't put mascara on wet lashes)...This is getting more complicated than I would like Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:54 pm      Reply with quote
Powdery eyeliner sounds scary to me too! I doubt I'd try it again.

I'm loving the foundation! - Still working with the concealer, but I don't think I'll get it right until I get a darker shade.
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:53 pm      Reply with quote
I just wanted to say that I'm so excited about my Alima stuff - the brushes and all the samples I ordered and received gratis, shipped all the way to Malaysia! Alima's foundation shade and finish match me so well, and I actually look like I had good skin, not like I put on good makeup!

And best of all it had a short handwritten message on the invoice slip! I was so touched they take the time to make each order personal. It really makes the customer feel special.

Thanks Manslayerliz for introducing me(us) to Alima!
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:27 pm      Reply with quote
Powder eyeliner so isn't for me. At first, after realizing I could never apply it properly, I thought I was gonna keep it and use it as an eyeshadow for smokey look, but I can't seem to get Alima eyeshadow to stay on my eyelids. It seems to fall off and go everywhere. I've tried to apply wet and dry, using both natural and Alima brushes, etc, but nothing seems to work. I really wanna love Alima as I keep hearing people raving about it, but so far it isn't for me. Having said that, I do love their blushes. So many colors to choose from and they're very pigmented as well. However, it seems they don't have very good staying power on me.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:49 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |