Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

shea butter from DIY sites?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
waffle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:17 pm      Reply with quote
So I fell in love with the L'Occitane pure shea butter in the cutesy tin after it was given to me for christmas -- but it's $39 for les than 5oz. On Personal Formulator, it's around $3 for 4 oz. Is there a difference? The L'Occitane has a nice whipped consistency but I wouldn't say it's a $35 improvement. Does anyone know if DIY butters are lower quality?
Chocolat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
You might contract these folks

http://www.shea-butter.com

and ask if they have something like what you're looking for.

www.gardenofwisdom.com has small inexpensive sizes of oils & butters you could try.
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:25 pm      Reply with quote
Some of the best shea butter in the world! And it's a fair trade site....

http://www.agbangakarite.com/
waffle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
thanks guys! such great prices....I love that 1 pound is a sample at the fair trade site! But I use it EVERYWHERE...hair, lips, skin, so it makes sense for me to "sample" it. But wow, the other site has great selection of oils and really good prices...may have to something frm there too!
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
This is my favorite site for shea butter products. Excellent service!

http://www.motheranddaughters.com/sheaproducts.htm
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
I got some organic shea butter from www.acqua-vita.com a few years ago and loved it. Very reasonable prices as they are a small home based business without the fancy packaging but excellent quality.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:58 pm      Reply with quote
Mountain Rose Herbs sell pure unrefined and fair trade shea butter.

It has a light herbal scent, and is a light olive colour with a fluffy consistency.

I never knew the difference in texture from refined/unrefined shea butter because the first jar I got was pure white and felt like lard!!
pandamom

Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:50 am      Reply with quote
I've never ordered from Wholesale Supplies Plus, but I have read they are another good source for supplies. Their prices on their butters seem to be very reasonable and they have flat rate shipping for orders under $25.00.
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:07 pm      Reply with quote
I order alot of the ingredients for my various lotions and scrubs from WSP. Great quality and service. The only drawback was that their shipping cost was high, but now they have a low $6.95 rate for products up to $25, I'm completely without complaints!
waffle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:21 pm      Reply with quote
so basically l'occitane has the biggest profit margin on plain shea butter ever. I can't believe how much they charge! At some of these sites I could buy literally pounds for the price of 4 oz of l'occitane.
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:00 pm      Reply with quote
katee wrote:

The best shea butter and cocoa butter definitely is from Agbangakarite!

This weekend I was putting together a few gift bags using my Agbangakarite Shea Butter for some of my co-workers at the office. I call it "See you Later Alligator," Winter Skin Kit which includes a Brown Sugar Scrub, Sea Salt Scrub, Lip Butter, Shea & Cocoa Butter Balm Stick and (3) different whipped body butters.

I made Whipped Shea Butter using my pure unrefined shea butter from Agbangakarite. I used 80% shea butter, 20% Shea oil and a smidge of Rice Flower & Shea fragrance oil, melted down the shea in the microwave and then, whipped it in my Kitchen Aid mixer. It has such a nice fluffy whipped texture and I put in in 2 oz. clear jars with clear caps.

I also made Whipped Black Cocoa Butter mixed with Cocoa Oil from Oils by Nature. It smells delicious just like chocolate, and looks like chocolate too! yummy!

Also, made Whipped Mango Butter with pure virgin Mango Butter from Oils By Nature. I whipped it up adding some Mango Oil from Garden of Wisdom and added a smidge of Mango Fragrance oil from Brambleberry.

I have gotten away from making homemade body products this past year, so it felt good to have the weekend to do what I love!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:18 pm      Reply with quote
MystyPines wrote:
katee wrote:

The best shea butter and cocoa butter definitely is from Agbangakarite!

This weekend I was putting together a few gift bags using my Agbangakarite Shea Butter for some of my co-workers at the office. I call it "See you Later Alligator," Winter Skin Kit which includes a Brown Sugar Scrub, Sea Salt Scrub, Lip Butter, Shea & Cocoa Butter Balm Stick and (3) different whipped body butters.

I made Whipped Shea Butter using my pure unrefined shea butter from Agbangakarite. I used 80% shea butter, 20% Shea oil and a smidge of Rice Flower & Shea fragrance oil, melted down the shea in the microwave and then, whipped it in my Kitchen Aid mixer. It has such a nice fluffy whipped texture and I put in in 2 oz. clear jars with clear caps.

I also made Whipped Black Cocoa Butter mixed with Cocoa Oil from Oils by Nature. It smells delicious just like chocolate, and looks like chocolate too! yummy!

Also, made Whipped Mango Butter with pure virgin Mango Butter from Oils By Nature. I whipped it up adding some Mango Oil from Garden of Wisdom and added a smidge of Mango Fragrance oil from Brambleberry.

I have gotten away from making homemade body products this past year, so it felt good to have the weekend to do what I love!

MystinPines,
Do you think its possible to whip shea butter at home without an electronic mixer? If I have to purchase a mixer than it completely threw out my budget.
Thank you,
Wild Cat

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:23 pm      Reply with quote
Couldn't you use an emulsion blender/wand blender? You can purchase one for around $30 on Amazon. I know others who use this type of blender for concocting and have found it to work well.
HTH!
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
Yup - they ought to be ashamed....

waffle wrote:
so basically l'occitane has the biggest profit margin on plain shea butter ever. I can't believe how much they charge! At some of these sites I could buy literally pounds for the price of 4 oz of l'occitane.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:46 pm      Reply with quote
I agree.. Crying or Very sad

Candy8865 wrote:
Yup - they ought to be ashamed....

waffle wrote:
waffle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:22 pm      Reply with quote
ooooh, mystypines, those sound amazing! I have to try something like that -- it does go on better when it's whipped.
waffle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:30 pm      Reply with quote
do you have to have a licesne of some sort to buy from abangakarite wholesale list? I just want to get a couple pounds, and it's so much cheaper that way.
snowstar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:39 am      Reply with quote
Second Waffle's question.

MystyPines, now i'm dying to get my hands onto some shea butter! would you please share your recipes on the DIY forum?

i want to move back to good old USA where i can mail order anything and pay reasonable shipping rates! Confused

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:33 am      Reply with quote
Hi Wildcat,

Yes, you can use your hand mixer or a stick blender with the whip attachment. I had initially gotten out my handmixer, but thought why not use my KitchenAid stand mixer (which I normally use for cold-process soapmaking). With shea butter, I like to use an 80% shea butter, 20% oil ratio (your choice. I used Shea Oil). Melt down the butter in the microwave, add the oil and whip for a while, then put it in the freezer to cool down for a few minutes, take it out again and whip it, and do this back and forth a few times between the freezer and whipping until it starts to firm up. It looks like frosting in the bowl. My Whipped Shea has the consistency of whipped cream cheese. The Whipped Mango butter came out more like whipped cream more fluffy and very light, the Whipped Cocoa Butter came out very dense. Because Cocoa Butter is a harder butter, I think next time I will add more oil, maybe a 70% butter, 30% oil ratio.

Hi Kandaboersma,

Yes, wand/stick blenders are great too!

Hi Waffle,

I guess it goes on easier because when it is whipped it is more like a cream than a balm, so you are able to get it out of the jar easier. Also, it is nice to be able to add some skin-loving oils to it!

You donít need a license. I closed out my license a few years ago. I now am just a hobbyist and I purchase the smaller sizes myself. (I also like AgbangaKariteís African Black Soap, that stuff is soooo nice on the skin!) You should read their website, lots of information on the locals who make it, the process, etc.

I think my project for next weekend will be using my Coffee Bean Butter. I want to try to make a Cappuccino Body Scrub with it and use Coffee Grinds as the exfoliant, but will have to do a little research just to make sure Coffee grinds donít have any bad effects on the skin. Isnít this fun!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:35 pm      Reply with quote
Mysty,
I use stuff with coffee grinds -- they're totally fine, just make sure and get an espresso grind because regular grind for drip is too rough. It does get EVERYWHERE though,so get used to your shower having coffee bits everywhere.

also, the caffiene is supposed to be good for circulation and cellulite.
waffle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:38 pm      Reply with quote
also, have you guys seen the imitation bath and body works scents on Wholesale suppliers? I'm going to make my whipped shea butter smell like Brown sugar and fig, and warm vanilla sugar. yay!
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:04 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Waffle, I can't wait to try out the coffee grinds!

I have used a few fragrance oils over the years from WholesaleSuppliesPlus -- oatmeal milk & honey, cotton blossom and ButterCream.

I prefer the BBW dupes from Tony's Fragrance Oils http://www.tonysfragranceoils.com/, to me they are right on. I have used in both lotions, soaps and body sprays their Warm Vanilla Sugar, Coconut Lime Verbena, Rice Flower & Shea, Moonlit Path, Cucumber Melon, Sun-Ripened Raspberry, Fresh Waterfall Mist, Green Clover & Aloe, Juniper Breeze, Mango Mandarin, Sweet Pea and Water Blossom Ivy.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:27 pm      Reply with quote
MystyPines wrote:
Thanks Waffle, I can't wait to try out the coffee grinds!

I have used a few fragrance oils over the years from WholesaleSuppliesPlus -- oatmeal milk & honey, cotton blossom and ButterCream.

I prefer the BBW dupes from Tony's Fragrance Oils http://www.tonysfragranceoils.com/, to me they are right on. I have used in both lotions, soaps and body sprays their Warm Vanilla Sugar, Coconut Lime Verbena, Rice Flower & Shea, Moonlit Path, Cucumber Melon, Sun-Ripened Raspberry, Fresh Waterfall Mist, Green Clover & Aloe, Juniper Breeze, Mango Mandarin, Sweet Pea and Water Blossom Ivy.

I'm going to trust you on this one, you certainly seem to know what you're doing!
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
I am no expert, but have been making soaps and bath and body products for a handful of years as a hobbyist and a seller. And, I have spent lots of money on fragrance oils, butters, herbs, clays, colorants, containers, labels, other packaging, etc. It is an addiction as much as this forum and skincare products are an addiction. he he he!

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:19 pm      Reply with quote
Here's another source for shea butter:
http://www.nasabb.com/. They also provide samples if you aren't sure what you want.
System
Automatic Message
Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:32 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Glominerals Contour Kit - Medium to Dark (13.2 g / 0.46 oz) Obagi Retinol 1.0 Cream (28 g) glotherapeutics Barrier Balm (50 ml / 1.7 oz)