Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

I'd like to introduce me. Explain me...the best that I can.
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
FaceForward

Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:15 am      Reply with quote

Disclaimer: Please forgive me for this novel. I am just excitable. I guess I am also looking for some friends, not just advice.

Hello, lovely ladies and gents.
I am brand spanking new to this board/lifestyle/way of thinking, give a few days.

I am a 22 (23 in a month and 1/2 Crying or Very sad )yr old mixed female. My mother is West Indian/Cuban/Panamanian/(& supposedly a pinch of Chinese). My father is Estonian/Italian/Greek.
*Phew* Shock

I was always spoiled in the respect that I never really had 'problem skin' all through high school. Perhaps a pimple here and there every once in awhile, but that was about it. I never really did much to take care of it then, either, save perhaps the classic Noxema a few nights a week. Despite having Acanthosis Nigricans around the corner of my lips for as long as I can remember, people were always complimenting me on how good my skin looked.

I was always fascinated with makeup, and starting 'sneak wearing' it at age 12. Mostly lip gloss and Cover Girl pressed powder. This progressed to Clinique Foundations, mascara, heavy eyeshadow, eyeliners & blush all through high school.

I've been starting to have trouble with my skin for 2 years now. Although I never have consistant acne (I don't even know if it's 'acne' for sure), I will get breakouts at least once a month, with whiteheads. They're usually on my cheeks, forehead, or hairline.

I seem to be getting the skin from my Mother's Hispanic/Caribbean side of the family -- these darker brown 'specks' some raised, some just colored flat on my skin. I hate them!!! This bothers me the most, because I no longer have that 'smooth, pure' looking skin I was so used to having.

I seem to get dry skin around my nose, cheeks & eyebrow area.

One thing I forgot to mention is I swear, I've had wrinkles/fine lines under my eyes since I was 15!! I'd always notice how all girls my age had just a smooth skin surface under their eyes, while I had many lines and a very, very dark undereye area.(Which I still have today.)
I believe my eyelids are extremely dry, and tend to have creases in them already. I call them very 'textured' eyelids, bc I even have a hard time putting on my beloved high end eyeshadows. It won't go on smoothly, and is therefore not very pigmented. Perhaps it's the Acanthosis Nigricans starting to develop around my eyes
Crying or Very sad

I am morbidly obese, and I realize this plays one of the biggest roles with my skin. I am joining Weight Watchers in a matter of weeks, and hopefully losing weight will help with my Acanthosis Nigricans. I also realize being my face is overweight, my skin is being pulled around my eyes in ways they probably shouldn't be. Crying or Very sad

I plan on starting to drink ALOT of water. I seriously hate water, and literally NEVER drink it. (I've tried everthing too...calorie free seltzer water, naturally flavored flat water, water with lemon, ice water, room temperature water...I detest WATER!!!)But I know this is a must not only for my skin, but for my weight loss goals.

I know eating habits play a part in skin, too. I know carbs and refined sugars don't help at ALL.

As for a face routine, I really don't have one. I suffer from Dysthymia and Bipolar 2...I'm just never consistent enough to keep up with anything. I usually get hyped up about a new product, use it for a week or so...& then never use it again.

Anyway, the 'focus'(haha) Laughing of this post is my facial skin. I have numerous problems with other parts of my skin, but will address that in other posts...and will apply the concept of brevity to those! Embarassed

So, in closing (I know, thank goodness, right?!)

My Plan -

Start drinking alot of water
exercise
lose weight
Stick with a CONSISTENT skin regiment
eat healthier
try 'Oil Pulling'
collect products suggested to me

I want to start making my own concoctions, and collecting Essential Oils, bases & all that.

There's a special promotion going on from Paypal right now....If you spend $30 on a single auction at eBay, you get a $15 rebate. So, does anyone see any 1 auction for around $30 on there that you would recommend to start my collection going? A good essential oil, or something like that?

Thank you soooooooooo much, anyone who's made it this far...or even halfway...or even a quarter!!!

I am eagerly awaiting your responses. Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:25 am      Reply with quote
Hello FaceForward wave welcome to the EDS forum!...but I'm warning you it's an addictive place! Laughing Wow you sound a lot like me! Shock I also am trying to do almost ALL of the stuff on your "To Do" list, I have tried to change my diet/lifestyle habits a few times already but have failed miserably Doubt

So I am trying to make 2007 a better year! Very Happy

Good luck to you as well! Smile
maiea
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:43 am      Reply with quote
Another hello too! I'm also trying to be healthier this year too. I'm very overweight, and since I am turning 30 this year, I decided I wouldn't stand for it anymore and want to get myself to a more manageable weight.

Believe it or not, it's not due to appearances (if it was I'd have probably tried to lose weight years ago), I think since I am Asian (and also my tall-ish height) I'm actually blessed by being able to "hide" my weight a bit, but it is really taking a toll on my joints. My ankles and knees are a wreck (yes this is due to my being active now lol), and I really want to get my weight down because it finally hit home that if I want my body to function it needs a lighter load! Very Happy

For skincare, we have LOADS of advice for you... from me, yes I agree lots of water, 7-8 hrs sleep a night and healthier eating will do amazing things for your skin. Additionally, I'd recommend to try PSF's HA serum and Balancing oil to start. Good luck!
FaceForward

Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:49 am      Reply with quote
Hello Safire & maiea, nice to meet you both!

I'm glad we have similar goals in common.
If either of you ever want to talk, PM me.

I wil def. look up those recommendations, Safire.
Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:51 am      Reply with quote
Welcome Faceforward!

What a candid and touching introduction! Trust me, you will only benefit from the advice and the genuine support on this forum.

You are really on the right track--I think drinking tons of water is the first thing to focus on, as it will make a huge difference in your skin, your body, and your overall well being. I drink 1.5 liters every day of room temp water in the morning, and then i wait about an hour to eat a healthy breakfast (usually yogurt and homemade granola with some agave nectar and cinnamon thrown in). I then drink about 2 more liters throughout the day. Also, drinking a glass of room temp fresh lemon water (1/2 lemon squeezed with full glass of water, drink through a straw) cleanses your body first thing, wakes you up, and gets all of your bodily functions going--and also makes your skin glow, and maintains weight. Do a search on drinking lemon water--it is truly an amazing and simple thing. Don't drink too much water, though, and stop around meals and 2 hours before bedtime.

As far as eating right goes, all I can say is that it would be really fun and useful to learn how to cook for yourself. Take Jessica Alba as an example: she claims that her family is obese and that she took it upon herself to change her relationship to food, and she learned to cook for herself and learned all the nutritional values of vegetables and grains and how to enjoy them. It's an extremely fun and rewarding hobby, and if you do it a lot, it is a surefire way to eliminate processed foods and hidden sugars from your diet.

Lastly, there are so many amazing new skincare lines out there right now that are finding real favor with seasoned EDS users--not very expensive, simple, and well-formulated.

Some of the websites you can go to are:
www.psfskincare.com
www.ifeelprettyproducts.com
www.greatnewskin.com
www.candessence.com
www.gardenofwisdom.com

These are the ones I see most often associated with "rave" reviews for products that do not cost a lot.

I don't have a good sense of what your actual skintype is (dry? oily? combo?), but it sounds like you are dehydrated and need perhaps a good skin/hair/nails supplement and a good probiotic vitamin ( www.newchapter.com ) such as Every Woman's Daily. That will make a huge difference, but you have to be patient.

Changing your diet, getting hydrated, and getting the right nutrients are the first and most important steps to eliminating your fine lines and enhancing your well-being. You are very right to notice this, and you are really doing all the right things.

If you give us some more details about your skin type, we can recommend some great products for you. All of the above websites are paypal oriented, so I'm not sure if they would apply. But I am positive that others will give you some excellent recs to get you started.

Best,
avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
ineedavacation

Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:16 am      Reply with quote
Welcome! You'll find lots of good advice and friends here. Smile
FaceForward

Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:35 am      Reply with quote
Hello!

I bookmarked all of those sites, I have a lot of reading to do Razz

I'm not sure what to call my skin. I guess it's very dry, scarred, & 'textured'.

I once shined a flashlight on my face in the dark in front of a mirror, and was horrified. Shock

The texture looked AWFUL, not smooth at all.

I have some pics of myself on myspace. I'm not allowed to post links being I'm a new member, but it's myspace(dotcom)/agirlandherpiano

I think these pics really show the dryness of my skin & lines/wrinkles/creasing of my eye area.

So much to work on!! Exclamation

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:46 am      Reply with quote
Hellloooooo! Very Happy

Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:54 am      Reply with quote
hellooooooooooo, guapa!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:58 am      Reply with quote
Welcome to EDS, FaceForward! I hope you enjoy learning (and buying Bad Grin ) as much as I have from the great people on this forum!
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:59 am      Reply with quote
Dear FaceForward,

well it looks to me that you have beautiful skin, or at the very least a very gifted makeup technique! i couldn't access the rest of the pics, though.

I would honestly recommend a very mild cleanser (looks like ifeelpretty and psf have very nice ones, and then a retinoid (PSF makes a fab retinol night cream) for gentle, daily exfoliation. Then a vitamin c serum to make your skin nice and bright (everyone loves candessence). Then, perhaps, a BHA toner to help with the breakouts, which, if they are monthly, are most likely hormonal. Finally, a nice facial oil and HA serum, and a good sunscreen. These are the building blocks of good, preventative, restorative skincare.

you are gorgeous, don't be hard on yourself, enjoy your youth, and look forward to an even more gorgeous future!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
Blacklace
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:17 am      Reply with quote
Welcome to EDS Faceforward!
One quick tip; in the interest of your bank account do go slowly on the product trials. Someone's rave here may not work for everyone so do alot of reading of post histories before you buy! I am sure you are beautiful anyway and EDS will help you with some great information from a very helpful and kind community.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:02 am      Reply with quote
Hi faceforward, and welcome!! You're in a good place--- this board is full of the nicest and most helpful people I've ver met!

First, I just wanted to let you know that I don't like drinking water either. I'll drink it in restaurants with meals, but only because I dislike soft drinks even more than I dislike water! Laughing But anyway, one way I've found to get more water into my system and to improve my skin is to drink various kinds of tea throughout the day. Both green and herbal teas are good for both your body and your skin, and they are calorie-free too! Recently I've been drinking a lot of:
*Celestial Seasonings Madagascar Vanilla Red Rooibos Tea (very mild, slightly sweet taste)
*Yogi Tea Kombucha Green Tea (Good for your digestive tract and your skin!)
*Hyakunencha Herbal tea (you can read more about it here: http://japanesegreenteaonline.com/hyakuingredients.htm)
It's one of the best tasting herbal teas I've ever had!
*DHC's powdered green tea (http://www.dhccare.com/DHC/ProductDetail.aspx?CS_ProductID=2303&CS_Catalog=DHC%20USA)

As for skincare, one product that I can recommend to you right off the bat is EpidermxII. It's wonderful for hyperpigmentation/brown spots, and it also gives your skin a wonderful glow and helps your other products penetrate better. HTH!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:05 am      Reply with quote
Hello FaceForward, welcome!
From your pic on myspace you look like a very beautiful girl, your skin looks gorgeous! I think the links avalange gave you are a great place to start. The 2% BHA toner from ifeelpretty is a great product, i use it, to clean out your pores every other day. I use the vit C from candessence and love it. I find that products with no chemicals/ organic work best for me. You could also look at the Burt's Bees line for a basic cleanser/toner/moisture, this line is great, clean, inexpensive, and then you can add your more expensive retinoid product and vitamin C. Start simple, don't over do it! and good luck! Amy
SandraG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:07 am      Reply with quote
Hi Faceforward,

I like your plan too. Hydration is very good for the skin cells.

I would also recomend one thing to add to your list of new and improved habits....

SUNSCREEN.
My background is sun worshiping, and at 40, I've just managed to heal the damage, after about $20,000.00 of work. Yep, that's my tab.
Thanks Sun!

Anyhow. I use probably one of the best sunscreens on the market. VERY silky, not oily.
I think you can only get it at the spas ect, but its Jan Marini Antioxident Daily Face Protectant (SPF level 30)
Even my 14yrold uses it every day Idea
We use it whether there is sun out or not. Even in cloudy weather.
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:35 am      Reply with quote
Hi FaceForward and welcome to EDS...

I just took a look at your photos. I think you're being wayyyy overcritical of youself (I guess most of us are sometimes). I think you have terrific, exotic features (laughing - hell, how could ya not; you're a walking United Nations) and I don't see anything wrong with your skin at all.

I think the really big challenge will be to loose the weight that you want to. If you succeed, sweetie, you are gonna be one irresistible chica Wink .

You're young. I think you just need a good basic skincare regimen to fit your skin type. If you take care of your skin now, your principal task will be more one of prevention than correction. Regardless of your skin type, two things that I think are essential for everyone: a good Vitamin C serum (I love Candy's Triple C serum, available at www.candessence.com) and SUNSCREEN.

I think you'll find lots of great information and support here. You'll have fun too Wink .
queenmary
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:50 am      Reply with quote
Hi FaceForward ,welcome to EDS. U will find here very good, not only for shopping, also for the peopel here.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:50 am      Reply with quote
Welcome. You've gotten some wonderful advice here and there's not much for me to add but I will say to keep a positive face on and know that changes can take time so look at this in baby steps and you'll be more likely to achieve lasting results. If you need any reinforcement, let me know. I know longer practice, but once was a therapist, specialty being children. But I do still mentor teens, so I am great at cheerleading! Starting with the water is a big number one, that really helped me and my skin. Excercise, especially walking will help you shed those extra pounds, ask my poor hubby who attends my boot camp of water, vitamins and walking, followed by IS Clinical and the Baby Q! The Vit C was the next big thing. Although I love the IS Clinical serums, I found that Candy's is a great one for the money and I have been personally recommending that one to family members who want to add it in at a reasonable cost. Chlorella is a great supplement with good cleansing properties to add to your body along with a multi-vitamin to start. Good luck and keep us posted. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:22 am      Reply with quote
Katee...how did you see faceforwards picture. I'de like to see too Surprised
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:31 am      Reply with quote
SandraG wrote:
Katee...how did you see faceforwards picture. I'de like to see too Surprised

SandraG, she posted her myspace addy: I have some pics of myself on myspace. I'm not allowed to post links being I'm a new member, but it's myspace(dotcom)/agirlandherpiano
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:38 am      Reply with quote
Hi Faceforward, and welcome! You have some great advice here and no doubt more to come - it sounds like you have a good start already planned as drinking lots of water will be terrific for your general well-being as well as your skin condition. After that, I second a good sunscreen and some antioxidant vitamin c as the best things you could add to look after your skin.
Swissmom
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:50 am      Reply with quote
Hi FaceForward! I think you have gotten some wonderful advice here. You are very young and you have time on your side. You can do this! I know you did not ask about an exercise program, but I belong to this group of video exercise enthusiasts (I love excercising at home);

http://p199.ezboard.com/bfirmbelivers You have to apply, but it's no problem getting in. The boards are full of exercise/nutrition info. We even have a Spa section with info. Hope you will join us!
FaceForward

Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:40 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you so much, everyone who responded. I'd add a thank you for each and every one of you, but I'm not allowed to do that yet...so I'll just have to do it the old fashioned way Laughing

Your suggestions and positive thoughts are truly a treat.

ineedavaction & marci65 -- i really appreciate your warm welcomes.

Blacklace -- thank you, that is probably the best advice for someone like me, who wants to just jump into everything right away!

Avalange -- thanks for the compliment. It must be my makeup!
Laughing I swear, though, it doesn't look that good in person.

manslayerliz-- i will def. check out those teas, and what a great suggestion. i'll probably try the celestial seasonings vanilla tea first, being i have a craving for sweet-tasting beverages.

amylola - thank you so much for the praise. great concept i need to drum into my head --start simple!

SandraG -- yes, up until now, i was under the common misconception that i didn't need sunscreen b/c of my skintone, and b/c i rarely go out in the sun. i really need to find a non-clogging sunscreen that sits well under makeup...it's so much, lol. Do you ladies who wear makeup usually wear sunscreen, then moisturizer, THEN foundation/powder?

katee --aww, thanks. i know it looks kind of okay in those pics, but i'll post a macro pic of my skin close up once i'm allowed to 'link' other sites, or add an image. i'm really curious to know what the little raised brown bumps on my skin are called. EDIT: ok, here is a url for the problem area skin on my cheeks that you can't see in the myspace pics i25(dot)photobucket(dot)com/albums/c56/agirlandherpiano/misc/FaceII(dot)jpg

queenmary -- yes, i am already finding the people here to be very helpful and wonderful.

AnnieR -- thanks for the positive reinforcement. i will definitely keep you posted. i will also take a look at the Candy's suggestion.

fifi -- Yes, the advice is truly great. I think I am sold on the Vitamin C idea.

Swissmom -- if I ever need a great cheerleader, you are obviously the lady! thanks so much for your support.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:41 pm      Reply with quote
Hi FaceFoward, and welcome! You will love this place, I swear! Cheer up a little, don't be so harsh on yourself. We are always here to listen to you & give advices when you need them! Very Happy
belleoftheball
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:38 am      Reply with quote
Hi faceforward

You are beautiful just the way you are, your myspace pics confirm that! What a gorgeous face you have! And you have skin to die for!

Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:20 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Un-Wrinkle Turbo Line Smoothing Toning Lotion (200 ml / 6.7 floz) NuFace Gel Primer (5 fl oz / 148 ml) glotherapeutics Barrier Balm (50 ml / 1.7 oz)