Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
If you can't wear wool of any sort (cashmere, merino, etc)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:03 pm      Reply with quote
... what are your favorite heavy sweaters made of?

Wool, cashmere, merino, etc.... it all itches the heck out of me. Even if they start out okay, within an hour, I feel like pins are jutting into my skin. I don't think it's an allergy, but maybe a very high level of discomfort.
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:38 pm      Reply with quote
I am totally the opposite. I love all kinds of wool - merino, mohair, angora, alpaca, bring it on! And how can you hate cashmere? GASP! Shock It's so soft! Razz I for one can't stand synthetic fibres. They irritate me to no end. Acrylic always balls up so easily and I don't feel that it lets my skin breathe (always makes me really sweaty for some reason whereas wool doesn't). I know wool can be itchy for some people but I think you just have to get used to it. I remember crying and crying as a child when my mother dressed me in wool sweaters because they always made me itch and now I just love them!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:41 pm      Reply with quote
Marci I am exactly the same. Any kind of wool on my skin just irritates the heck out of me. It's not like I have fair or sensitive skin, (I am olive and fairly normal).

I luv the idea of the feel of cashmere and almost suceeded once, in wearing it on my skin. I convinced myself that it was all mind over matter. So on the one occasion when I did try it (lasted from my front door to the car), my neck went nuts & I just ripped it off and ran back inside to change!! Lucky I didnt wait until we got to the restaurant!! Shock

I wonder if it goes back to a nasty childhood experience with hideous fabric known as 'crimpalene' uggh!! Very Happy
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:46 pm      Reply with quote
Wool itches me.. Crying or Very sad I prefer cotton.
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:48 pm      Reply with quote
I like all kinds of wool, but I do have some heavy sweaters that are made of cotton -- I like them too. Smile
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:52 pm      Reply with quote
Cotton or synthetic for me. Wool makes me itch too.
snowstar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:59 pm      Reply with quote
good old cotton Smile

my niece is allergic to wool and for winter, it's been tough finding clothes for her. there are so cools with wool interior but lined with cotton.
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:58 pm      Reply with quote
Yup. I can only wear cotton, since I am prone to eczema. Crying or Very sad
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:02 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah, another cotton girl. You know what really hurts? I saw the most beautiful wool sweaters in Ireland last year and I soooo love sweaters Crying or Very sad

Ari

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:21 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Marci!

Me, too! I absolutely can't stand wool!

When I was a starving student in frigid Buffalo, I prowled thrift stores and shopped with my hands, not my eyes, always feeling for the soft cashmere sweaters in hideous colors that I scooped up for five bucks or so.

Now, I wear mostly black, and my cashmere collection has grown to include some rather nice sweaters, coats, and even pajamas Very Happy

I also can't stand tags in my clothing--I always have to cut them off because they irritate the heck out of me!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:34 am      Reply with quote
I choose my sweaters mainly for their content, I definitely wouldn't pay a high price for a cotton or acrylic sweater because that material isn't worth it. However Acrylic is probably the next best thing to wool if you're allergic because I find it's warmer than cotton. I prefer merino or cashmere and don't like angora or mohair as much as as I used to as they get scratchier and itchier, not to mention angora sheds sometimes and is harder to maintain.

have you guys tried wool blends, those that only have like 1/4 wool content, would that be better (less itchy) and perhaps warmer than the regular synthetic?
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:00 am      Reply with quote
Here is my rant for the day -

I cannot stand any animal hairs against my skin for some reason, even with cotton blends.. I just end up scratching and scratching. I thought it used to be because of the grade of wool etc, like marino/mohair etc which is baby soft but I still find that it causes irritation and red patches I can't even wear those pure marino gloves!!! Don't even mention scarves, I bought this $290 Burberry wool blend scarf which felt beautiful against my hands but I couldn't stand to have it around my neck for more than 5 minutes, so it sits in a cupboard somewhere now forever.

I second Heather about the tags too, I have to cut every label off and fleece the edges so they don't scratch.

Other fibres I dislike - POLAR FLEECE! acrylic, polyester, and most synthetics - they irritated my skin and I always feel like I'm suffocating my skin because they don't absorb moisture.

It's good old cotton for me.
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:01 am      Reply with quote
Yep, most of my warmer sweaters are made of cotton. Acrylic just feels like plastic to me. However, I don't mind microfleece so much, as long as there's a cotton t-shirt of some sort between my skin and the fleece. Sort of limiting when I really need warmth (and I tend to be cold easily).

I do love cashmere and I wish I could wear it for more than an hour. Sad Oddly enough, if I find a very soft cashmere scarf, I can manage that for the winter, since I tend not to be in it for longer than an hour at a time.

So far, I see that Lands End, Eddie Bauer, etc. are hit or miss with heavy cotton sweaters. Hanna Andersen (misspelled, sorry) also has nice selections of heavy cotton sweaters, although sometimes that patterns are too printy for me. Any other good sources for heavy cotton sweaters?
bears
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:08 am      Reply with quote
Wool itches me also, I usually get cotton or sweaters with silk blend.
tidieu
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:17 am      Reply with quote
Another cotton girl here.
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:10 pm      Reply with quote
Cotton for me, too. Every now and then I see a cashmere top I *have* to have -- there's 3 hanging in my closet now -- but I don't seem to be able to wear for more than 20 minutes Sad

I have to cut the tags off, also. I've accidently put holes in some of my t-shirts cutting the darn things off!

montrealgal
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:15 pm      Reply with quote
I think I'm okay with silk.. Don't really wear it much. But I just love cotton for my skin because I'm really sensitive. Also, my skin feels really free and breathable with cotton.. Surprised
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:28 pm      Reply with quote
I developed a horrible allergy to cashmere at 22. I break out in horrible hives all over & it lasts 24 hours. I get hives even if I'm shopping & touch cashmere. Of course, I absolutely LOVE the way cashmere looks.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:03 am      Reply with quote
Cotton for me as well. I have pretty tough and resistant skin but wool or pretty much any type of animal hair fiber drives me crazy! I had a dress with angora in it once and thought I was going to drive myself crazy itching before the day was over.
fishzebby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:59 pm      Reply with quote
can't stand wook... cotton only!
dsq
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:18 pm      Reply with quote
i don't like wearing wool either because it makes my skin irritated. but if i did wear wool, i would wear a long sleeve cotton shirt underneath.
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:03 am      Reply with quote
Cotton for me too.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:27 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |